Profile for Henri Thibodeau > Reviews

Content by Henri Thibodeau

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Henri Thibodeau (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System
The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System
Offered by Penguin Group USA
Price: CDN$ 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Rickards hits all the nails head on!, Oct. 10 2014
I have read several books (and countless web feeds) lately about what's happening with the economy and where we may be heading, and this is definitely the one book that hits all the nails head on. This is admittedly not an easy read, but it is definitely worth your time and effort. You may wonder where the author is going in the first chapter, but stick with it - he knows where he is going and everything will fall into place as you keep reading.

Atlas of the Civil War: A Complete Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle
Atlas of the Civil War: A Complete Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle
by Stephen Hyslop
Price: CDN$ 28.22
25 used & new from CDN$ 21.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Atlas Of This Terrible Conflict, Oct. 23 2013
This amazing book is up to the standards I have come to expect from National Geographic. It is a great complement to any history of the Civil War, such as Shelby Foote's "Narrative", which I am currently reading. It is also a great companion to "The Untold Civil War", also by NG. It covers the whole scope and areas of the conflict, using original NG maps as well as reproductions of period maps. The chronological organization of the content is easy to follow, and great pictures (many I have never seen before) complete the whole. A must for anyone interested in the history of this terrible conflict. Many thanks to the NG team!

The Untold Civil War: Exploring the Human Side of War
The Untold Civil War: Exploring the Human Side of War
by James Robertson
Price: CDN$ 28.22
25 used & new from CDN$ 12.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treat For Anyone With An Interest In The Civil War!, Sept. 4 2013
This fascinating book is everything I expect from National Geographic.

Very easy and fun to read with its short two page articles, it is a treasure throve of little known facts accompanied by some amazing pictures, many of which I had never seen before (and I have seen a few).

Although not a history per se of this tragic conflict, it is a great complement to such histories for anyone who has an interest in this fascinating period of American history. As the title says, it helps put a human face on this very uncivil war.

Heartfelt thanks to the author and to National Geographic for having published this unique book!

Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011
Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011
11 used & new from CDN$ 196.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Office I have ever used, Aug. 6 2013
I use this software daily for my work and personal needs; it's the best and most stable version of Office I have ever used on any platform, and I have been working with Office for Windows and Mac for the last 15 years.

Conspiracies and Secret Societies: The Complete Dossier
Conspiracies and Secret Societies: The Complete Dossier
Price: CDN$ 11.27

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone interested in conspiracies and secret societies., Aug. 6 2013
This is the best reference on conspiracies and secret societies I have found. It is a credit to Brad Steiger, an amazing author I discovered years ago through his timeless classic, Mysteries Of Time And Space.

Pros: very accurate and well researched judging from the topics I am familiar with.

Cons: at times, it's hard to tell if the author agrees or not with some of the theories he discusses.

Although this a pretty complete dossier, as the title says, it serves as a general reference and introduction to the several topics covered in the book.

At times, I was left on my appetite for more, but that's the point of this book - it's an excellent starting point if you're interested in doing more personal research on each topic.

I consider this book a must for anyone interested in conspiracies and secret societies.

Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith
Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith
by Graham Hancock
Price: CDN$ 17.52
11 used & new from CDN$ 17.52

2.0 out of 5 stars Where are they going with this?, March 31 2010
Graham Hancock is a thought-provoking, insightful and well-researched author I usually enjoy reading, but this endeavor with Robert Bauval is a major disappointment. This book is all over the place trying to weave a cross-millennium conspiracy passed down from Ancient Egypt through early Christian Gnosticism, Catharism and Bogomils, the Templars, and eventually Freemasons. The plan? To build or re-build cities such as London, Paris and Washington along some mysterious blueprints handed down through time from Ancient Egypt and based on the cult of the goddess Isis... This book is filled with details about historical characters the authors do their best to link to this age-old conspiracy whose aim they never clearly explain. However, their history of Catharism and Bogomils in the Middle Ages is quite fascinating, but aside from that I don't see the point of this book other than the authors trying to make their extensive research generate some kind of return!

Un Temps d'Amour (In Love and War V.F.) (Version française)
Un Temps d'Amour (In Love and War V.F.) (Version française)
Offered by duckie35
Price: CDN$ 8.35
4 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars "In Love and War" with French packaging, May 14 2009
This is basically the same product as "In Love and War" (ASIN: B00000JGHN) but with a French cover. Packaged for distribution in Quebec (Canada). French 2.0 Dolby Surround and English 5.1 Dolby digital Surround. English subtitles. Widescreen (2.35:1) and Full Screen (1.33:1). 1 h 53 min.

The Twice Born
The Twice Born
by Pauline Gedge
Price: CDN$ 12.15
34 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Pauline Gedge at her best, April 22 2009
"The Twice Born" was a real treat for me as a long-time fan of Pauline Gedge. I fell in love with her historical fiction set in Ancient Egypt when I first read "House of Illusions" a few years back. I have since read most of her work, reveling in her vivid description of life in Ancient Egypt. She has a knack for bringing this ancient world back to life, making you feel as if you where there. However, I was somewhat disappointed with her "Lord of Two Lands" trilogy, which did not recapture for me the excitement I found in her earlier work. "The Twice Born" brought back the excitement I felt reading her previous books. My only thing criticism is her treatment of Huy, the main character, as a four-year old, which seemed a bit off; but still, this is definitely a page turner. I can't wait to read the second volume, "The Seer of Egypt". I recommend Pauline Gedge to anyone having an interest in historical fiction.

Armageddon's Children
Armageddon's Children
by Terry Brooks
Price: CDN$ 9.92
87 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Brooks at his best!, Nov. 10 2007
I fell in love with Terry Brooks's compelling storytelling back with the Sword of Shannara trilogy and, especially, the Heritage of Shannara, which is one the best Fantasy series I have ever read (and I have read a few). However, I was somewhat disappointed with the High Druid of Shannara and the Voyage of Jerle Shannara trilogy, which seemed to fall short of his previous works, so I had been shunning Terry Brooks for a while, not expecting to find again the exciting read I had found in his earlier works.

Well, I decided to give the Genesis of Shannara a try and boy! Was I in for a surprise - and a treat - with Armageddon's Children! This is definitely a must read for any fan of Terry Brooks, a real page turner; it has been some time since I read such a compelling story. In his usual fashion, Brooks interweaves the stories of different characters that eventually come together (well, most of them) in the end. Brooks's descriptions of a post-apocalyptic America are vivid and troubling at times.

The only aspect that I felt somewhat deficient is the storyline pertaining to the Elves; it somehow doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the book.

It still made for a fascinating read and I am sad it's over already - I can't wait to read the sequel, the Elves of Cintra, and find out what happens with Hawk and the others. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for the third installment!

Sharpe's Escape
Sharpe's Escape
by Bernard Cornwell
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent and Exciting Read, Oct. 22 2006
I have now read about half a dozen Sharpe novels, and this has to be the best I have read so far. Cornwell has definitely mastered his style with this one. I especially enjoyed the character and plot developments that parallel each other in the second half of the book, beautifully coming together in a climax at end. However, I must say that Cornwell's vivid descriptions of the butchery of 18th Century battlefields were at times a little bit too detailed for my own taste - not for the faint of heart. My only disapointment with this book was the development of the Colonel Lawford character, which to me did not seem quite in line with we had come to learn about this character in the previous novels I read. But this is a minor point. I do recommend this series to anyone interested in historical fiction - You are in for a treat!

Page: 1 | 2