ARRAY(0xb176d888)

Profile for SuperStallion > Reviews

Content by SuperStallion

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

SuperStallion

Milwaukee 2458-20 M12 12-Volt Palm Nailer ,Tool Only
Milwaukee 2458-20 M12 12-Volt Palm Nailer ,Tool Only
Price: CDN$ 102.44
4 used & new from CDN$ 100.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Milwaukee 12v Palm-nailer, April 7 2012
I bought the Milwaukee 12v Palm-nailer as a curiosity, and that is pretty much what it is to me - a curious little tool. It looks odd, feels odd, and does has a peculiar function too. It jack-hammers nails into wood. I hadn't even known such a tool class existed until I came across this one. Then, I learned that pnuematic versions have existed for some time already.

I got it because I don't do a lot of nailing, but wanted a way to pound common nails into existing framing when cutting holes into walls - without shattering the surrounding plaster and weakening what's left of the wall. In this respect, the palm-nailer is ideal. In fact, just for fun, I used it to plant a 3 1/2" nail into a scrap piece of 2x4 while holding the nailer with one hand and the wood with the other, in a kind of prayer position, free-floating in front of me. I was curious to see how much vibration it would create in the receiving hand (but I'm not recommending that children try this at home). To my astonishment, the nail went in very easily while having it feel like nothing more than a gentle massage! Needless to say, it works perfectly for my particular interior wall modification needs.

As a bonus discovery, I learned while working on my car, that it can be useful without nails too. I was checking my brake pads, when I noticed that one of the pivot rods had ceased up. Using a hammer alone would not loosen it. So, I inserted a 2" steel rod (of soft, mild steel) into the palm-nailer (where a nail would usually be inserted), so that I could use it as a tiny jack-hammer. Then, while a friend forced the brake parts to pivot, I simultaneously used the palm-nailer-turned-jack-hammer to vibrate the brake pieces apart. Once lubricated and put them back together the pivot arm worked like new again. Because of how small the work space was inside the wheel well, I don't know what other tool might have been used more comfortably to get the job done so elegantly.

Milwaukee 2411-20 M12 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Hammer Drill ,Tool Only, No Battery
Milwaukee 2411-20 M12 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Hammer Drill ,Tool Only, No Battery
Offered by Tool Deals USA
Price: CDN$ 86.00
8 used & new from CDN$ 86.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Milwaukee 12v Hammer-drill, April 7 2012
This Milwaukee 12v Hammer-drill is amazing! I decided to buy it because I've owned their 12v driver for over a year, and love it's combination of compactness and robustness - but missed not having a dedicated drill of similar profile. The Hammer-drill is perfect.

I'm a professional handyman (with 30+ years of experience), specializing in small repairs, and I commute to clients by bicycle. Owning small tools is therefore essential for me. Yet, until a friend introduced me to the Milwaukee line, I was tethered to bulkier tools than I cared for ... which also necessitated lugging larger bags and cases. Now, I can carry most of what I need on my back, in a single tote. (I've been refining and reducing my tool footprint for decades, and have it down to an art.)

So, anyway, the drill. It has lots of torque settings, forward-reverse, and high-low speeds, which are pretty standard. Higher end, it has a clutch release, to avoid stressing the motor; and securely hand-tightens onto bits. The "bonuses" for me, are the hammer-drill function and the work light. Having a hammer-drill in such a small tool is more than I would have hoped possible. It saves me from lugging a monster around for the occasional time I need to drill into concrete. The light illuminates the work surface much better than the one on their 12v driver that I own (and this one actually stays lit for a few seconds after the trigger is released - which is much more useful). What I totally hadn't expected, is that there is even a feature which works like and mini impact-drill, so that if the drill is low on power for driving in a particular screw, it cycles on and off in bursts to get the job done. This has the added benefit that for screws which are going into a dense substrate and require a lot of torque, it helps to keep the bit seated in the screw head.

Of all the tools I've owned to date, this one is my favorite. (There are only a few which have managed to steal my heart.) It's compact, feels extra solid, is powerful enough to do most of what I need doing, and even has features than I would not have thought reasonable to ask for. This is bliss!