Profile for Allison > Reviews

Content by Allison

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Allison

Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen)
Beowulf and Grendel (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Hringur Ingvarsson
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 71.10
19 used & new from CDN$ 1.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Toronto Film Festival Star, June 4 2006
I saw this film at the Toronto Film Festival 2005. For a movie that realied completely on nature and make-up, it is amazingly scenic. No weird CGI creatures or backdrops, it's all real. The script is quite funny and the storyline and interpretation is very well thought out. This is the best Beowulf interpretation I've yet encountered. And the DVD promises to be PACKED with goodies!

Troy
Troy
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 5.32
23 used & new from CDN$ 2.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Horner, May 31 2004
This review is from: Troy (Audio CD)
Considering the amount of time Horner had to compose this score (about two weeks), I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm a big fan of Horner's work, and after seeing the film I knew I'd buy the soundtrack, as is usually the case with James Horner. After listening to the "trashed" score that Gabriel Yared had originally prepared for the film, but was sacked because audiences thought it was "old fashioned" (although in my opinion isn't all that bad) I'm glad Horner was chosen as his replacement. Horner does a much better job with the women's choir and soloist, and although the choir in Yared's score might be more traditional (or even "old fashioned"), Horner's is more agreeable to the ears of us modern folks.
When I saw "Troy," I noticed the trumpet battle-theme (heard in the various battle tracks) from "Willow" right away. As some composers do, Horner made variations on previously written material for a new score. Or at least that's what it sounds like to me. I was not surprised, because I know Horner recycles themes. I don't have a problem with this at all.
I hear consistent similarities to "The Four Feathers," though that is not surprising, as the score is one of his most recent, and also takes place in a Mediterranean area (North Africa) and is also about love and war. The only distinct difference is the British influence in "The Four Feathers."
The love theme (Track 7), used as the basis for the lyrical theme song (Track 12), is reminiscent of "The Mask of Zorro." In this track can be heard elements from many different works of Horner's as the phrases within it change.
Horner seems to be partial to soloists with an ancient feel to their voice, as the solos of "Troy" and "The Four Feathers" are very similar, and used in similar ways over the same type of themes.
Track 8 ("The Trojans Attack") itself is quite similar to the battle themes of "Willow," "Braveheart," and "The Four Feathers." The brass theme (around the 1:05 mark) in this track reminds me of something I can't quite figure out but it's very nice, and when just listening to it you get the feeling of charging cavalry.
At first I didn't like the song "Remember." Maybe it was the poor quality of the preview, or the fact that I only heard part of it, but I thought it was cheesy. But upon listening to it on the CD, I changed my mind completely. It's amazing. I do notice similarities to "I Want To Spend My Lifetime Loving You" from "The Mask of Zorro," but only in comparing the song as a whole. They are very different songs. "Remember" has a more ancient feel to it, which is a good thing! I might even turn into a Josh Groban fan now....
Overall I like the soundtrack, and really love the solos by Tanja Tzarovska. This is my kind of soundtrack!