Profile for Richard Kirchknopf > Reviews

Content by Richard Kirchknopf

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Richard Kirchknopf (Toronto, Canada)

Linksys RE2000 Dual Band Wireless Range Extender
Linksys RE2000 Dual Band Wireless Range Extender
Price: CDN$ 44.98
14 used & new from CDN$ 44.98

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have listened to the negative reviews, Oct. 26 2014
I bought a "Linksys Certified Refurbished" RE2000. Total waste of my time and money. I think I know where the faulty returned units are going ...straight back out to the refurbished marked. The unit I have wouldn't even power up correctly most of the time. It took repeated plugging and unplugging before it booted up correctly. I even upgraded the firmware to the latest version and that still did not help. And when I finally had it all powered up and configured it only lasted a short time before the unit stopped working. The main LED would go out. Chatting with a one of their representatives online was painful. I suspect "Bernard" is somewhere in India or Pakistan or China as it would take forever to get a response. And they did not even clue into the fact that it is not powering up correctly. I will never buy anything that is "Linksys Certified Refurbished" ever again. And I am really questioning whether I will ever purchase Linksys again.

Steve Jackson Games 1483SJG Munchkin, Deluxe
Steve Jackson Games 1483SJG Munchkin, Deluxe
Price: CDN$ 32.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars fun game for groups of 3 or more., Sept. 21 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
The online price was right and it included shipping. I received it even faster than the original predicted delivery date. Finally played it and we had fun. To advance in this game often requires negotiating with other players. And at the same time you try to drag the more advanced players down. I wasn't sure how other family members would take that but it turned out to be amazing sport, including the backstabbing. I originally saw this game on Wil Wheaton's online show on Geek And Sundry called Tabletop Games. The Munchkin web site also has an app that shows an example game being played. The Deluxe game is identical to the basic Munchkin card game except that it includes a level score board and playing pieces so all the players can see each others level. Not required to play the game but a nice touch. The basic game consists of two decks of special cards (Door cards and Treasure cards) plus a 6 sided die plus the rules, which are also available online. Just remember to shuffle the decks well before playing.

Pwr+® PwrBlast Rapid 4.2A 21W Dual USB Car Charger 12v Dc Adapter Auto - Fastest Charge for Apple / Samsung Galaxy Note Tab S, Kindle, Android Pad Tablet Fire Phone - Universal Compatibility
Offered by PWR+
Price: CDN$ 17.90
2 used & new from CDN$ 10.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says - happy camper, Jan. 18 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Had problems charging the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 in my car. I turns out I had to replace both my USB adapter *AND* my USB charging cable. This charger puts out more current on each USB than most of the others do combined. Most adapters don't mention their current output in their specs. You can be sure they are probably 500 ma per outlet. 4.2A is one of the highest out there. Important for tablets and large phablet phones.

Using this adapter *AND* a genuine Samsung USB charging cable I get charge rates equivalent to plugging my phone into the Samsung AC charger. Not sure why I had to use a different cable, but I am sure it is the cable.

Yellow Jacket 2885 12/3 100-Feet 15-Amp Heavy-Duty SJTW Contractor Extension Cord with Lighted Ends
Price: CDN$ 89.77
11 used & new from CDN$ 89.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than the store, Jan. 9 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I checked all the local hardware stores and I got the best price online. The real deal. Using it with my snow blower.

Seiko Men's SNE042 Two-Tone Solar Charcoal Dial Watch
Seiko Men's SNE042 Two-Tone Solar Charcoal Dial Watch
2 used & new from CDN$ 195.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Still pleased after a year and a half, Dec 18 2013
It is an elegant watch. You cannot tell that it is solar powered other than by the word solar on the face plate.

The glow in the dark markings fade by the middle of the night but that is seldom a problem for me.

As I wear it all the time I have some scratches on the mineral crystal, not too badly scratched. In the future I would consider a sapphire crystal as they are the toughest, but they are also more expensive.

One has to manually adjust the date after months with only 30 days. Not difficult, just pull out the crown and a small twist. I have my calendar send me automatic reminders on March 1, May 1, July 1, Oct 1, and Dec 1.

Overall I am very pleased with the watch and would probably buy the same one again. Perhaps I would consider getting a sapphire crystal. Certainly I would get another Seiko.

Sangean WR-11 AM/FM Table Top Radio
Sangean WR-11 AM/FM Table Top Radio
Price: CDN$ 121.17
23 used & new from CDN$ 90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my 85 year old mother, Jan. 15 2012
I tried other radios for my mother but anything digital has far too many buttons and modes for her and she will accidentally change the mode and stop using the other radios.

This unit has three knobs of decent size. My mother's hands are NOT arthritic so this is not a concern for her and I cannot speak to that. The middle knob is off/FM/AM which she can turn on and off without changing the volume or the station setting. The tuning knob also has an indicator that lights when a strong signal has been tuned. The unit is of heavy, solid construction with a nice wooden cover which seems to hearken back to the days of quality rather than the cheap plastic cases typical of our current era.

Although just a single speaker it has a pleasing sound. My mother has had it for three weeks and she is very pleased with it. Any time I call her I hear it playing in the background on her favourite classical music station. My mother lives in the city where the signal strength is excellent so I cannot talk to long distance reception either.

I previously purchased a different model Sangean radio for myself and so far I am pleased by their overall quality and sound.

LG LGIP-340N BATTERY
LG LGIP-340N BATTERY
Offered by DollarCell
Price: CDN$ 7.10
11 used & new from CDN$ 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The battery was inexpensive and it works, May 8 2011
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: LG LGIP-340N BATTERY (Accessory)
The first delivery got lost somewhere in the mail. They sent me another. I finally received it and put it in my phone and it works. Much less expensive than buying the replacement battery from any local stores. I am satisfied.

Doctor Who: The Complete Specials
Doctor Who: The Complete Specials
DVD ~ Peter Capaldi
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 99.99
12 used & new from CDN$ 54.97

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 DVDs with interesting extras, March 25 2011
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
5 DVDs. Extras like "Doctor Who Confidential" are interesting to watch. Much cheaper to buy the set of 5 shows than to buy them individually. Regular parcel delivery to Toronto was surprisingly fast. Always great if you can get it on sale as BBC material is often, in my opinion, way over priced.

Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program
Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program
by Dr Heller
Price: CDN$ 22.99
119 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It works for carb addicts, Feb. 7 2001
I have been on this program for 11 months and it has worked wonders for me. I have held fairly steady at a 37 pound loss for the last 4 months (starting at 276). I was an incessant snacker and couldn't control myself. Now I only eat 2 meals a day and I can have cake and any pastries I want with my one daily "reward" meal. With the mandatory salads and veggies on this program I am also eating healthier than ever. I love feeling I am in control. There are also online support groups with helpful advice. They are all carb addicts too and know exactly how I felt. If I had to start the program today I would consider the newer book the Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy Heart Program. I think it is a futher refinement of the program based on findings from all the people who have used the previous Carbohydrate Addict Programs.

The Carbohydrate Addict's Gram Counter
The Carbohydrate Addict's Gram Counter
by Dr. Rachael F. Heller
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 6.64
71 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste money on the gram counter, Jan. 7 2001
If you are a follower of the Carbohydrate Addict Lifespan Program you will quickly find (as I have) that this booklet is totally unnecessary! The whole idea behind the Carbohydrate Addicts books is that measuring is unnecessary. I would rather save the money for the Carbohydrate Addict's recipe book.