Profile for char1077 > Reviews

Content by char1077

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

char1077 (Petoskey, MI United States)

Page: 1 | 2
This Desert Life
This Desert Life
Price: CDN$ 11.00
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars a nice change, June 21 2004
This review is from: This Desert Life (Audio CD)
This may not be as well-received as August and Everything After. It is definetly not as moody as Recovering the Satellites but This Desert Life breathes fresh air back into Adam Duritz's lungs. A lighter romp than previous albums, Desert offers original Crow's songs as well as the touching lyrics and music of past albums. If you liked August and Recovering, pick this one up but don't expect a life changing listen. Highlights are "Mrs. Potter's Lullabye", "Colorblind" (one of the most beautiful songs ever), "St. Robinson and His Cadillac Dream" and the hidden track "Kid Things".

Recovering The Satellites
Recovering The Satellites
Price: CDN$ 8.95
90 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars you're not giving it enough credit, June 21 2004
This is supposedly Adam Duritz's favorite of all their albums and it is mine as well. The Crows got their bearings on their instruments and are coupled with Duritz's painful lyrics. It is definetly the darker and moodier of their four studio albums and it worth a second listen. If you loved August and Everything After chances are you'll at least like this one.

August And Everything After
August And Everything After
Price: CDN$ 10.04
82 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars don't let one star reviews bring you down, June 21 2004
I can't say anything here that hasn't already been said so I won't. This album changed me from a pop music freak to a true music lover. One of the most original things to come out of the 90s it deserves a place in anyone's collection. If you happen to become a Crowhead like me then more power to ya.

Hard Candy
Hard Candy
Price: CDN$ 13.61
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars what happened?, June 21 2004
This review is from: Hard Candy (Audio CD)
I hate to give this album 3 measly stars but there's nothing I can do but be brutally honest. I just wonder what happened to the Crows I fell in love with. Their entire vibe changed with the release of this and has caused controversy amoung their fans.
True, many feel betrayed by the pop-ness of the songs but Adam Duritz's lyrics are still touching and wonderful. The music isn't as morose as it has been on previous albums but bands, like the people in them, change.
All I can say is that I was disappointed by this but it has it's good points. Don't start here, instead, build up to it.

Across a Wire: Live in New York
Across a Wire: Live in New York
Price: CDN$ 15.99
29 used & new from CDN$ 2.68

4.0 out of 5 stars wonderful and yet....not, June 21 2004
I am a diehard Counting Crows fan and this album really opened them up to me. The Storyteller's disc lives in my CD player. Hearing "Rain King" played is a kind of slow jazzy style made me almost cry and the electric versions of "Anna Begins" annd "Ghost Train" are worth the price of both discs. Just hearing the total difference in all the songs from what I was used to demonstrated the Crow's versatility.
However, the live CD didn't impress me at all. I've only listened to it once but the entire thing seemed flat and somehow less passionate than what I've heard in the past.
I would recommend buying this only if you are a fan of Counting Crows as you probably won't listen to the second one and may not appreciate the first. Stick with August and Everything After and other studio albums. If you are a fan looking for where to go for more Crows get this. The Storyteller's versions are worth it.

Let Go
Let Go
Price: CDN$ 7.22
70 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars all posing aside, June 21 2004
This review is from: Let Go (Audio CD)
Avril Lavigne may be a poser but she has reached something in American teenagers. I bought this album when I was a poor, misguided radio addicted baby and I loved it. Avril has mastered the G chord and the contrived lyric. Not to mention the whole girls wearing ties thing she started. If you are a fan of pop music, buy this CD, I'm sure you'll love it but if you like good music avoid it.

No One's Really Beautiful
No One's Really Beautiful
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 14.57
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting and wonderful, June 20 2004
I ordered this album off line a few years ago for the "I Know" track. I was wonderfully surprised to find the rest of the CD equally as spectacular. The lyrics are fun and ironically beautiful. The music takes you through the entire spectrum of moods. This is a good one to try and it has earned a space on my "Favorite CDs" list.

A Kingdom of Dreams
A Kingdom of Dreams
by Judith McNaught
Price: CDN$ 9.89
109 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars eew., June 8 2004
I know people swear by this book but I just can't do it. I was recommended this by a friend of mine who's suggestions usually prove reliable but nobody's perfect. I just find the story extremely forgetable, predictable and trite. The heroine is unlikeable. Not to mention The Wolf who's "sick of the expectations the name entails." Whatever, I just didn't like it.

Remembrance
Remembrance
by Jude Deveraux
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one., June 8 2004
I read three of Jude Deveraux novels in a row when I first got interested in reading romance. The first was Knight in Shining Armor and this was the next. This book is not as good as Knight but it is better than some of her others (i.e. Temptation...). I very much enjoyed the ranting at the beginning defending romance novelists and their readers. I also enjoyed the ACTUAL STORY in this book. Many romance novels do not have any substance whatsoever and are painfully predictable. The plot here is intricate and interesting. You actually have to put effort into reading this one and I like that. This isn't a good place to start if you're trying to get some light reading or get into romance but an overall fun little read.

A Knight in Shining Armor
A Knight in Shining Armor
by Jude Deveraux
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., June 8 2004
A few years ago my friend started describing "the best romance novel she'd ever read" to me. About the time she got to the girl bathing in a fountain, I tuned out. However, a few weeks after that I was at a used bookstore and lo and behold, it was sitting there right at eye-level, beckoning me. I reluctantly bought it and stayed up the entire night finishing it. I love this book and now own the original paperback as well as the revised hardback. I re-read it at least once a year and it never turns sappy on me, like most in the romance genre do. The characters are lovable and have a certain depth about them. The fact that the ending isn't predictable is a big selling point and anyone thinking of delving into a little romance this summer (or winter, depending on where you are) this is a wonderful starting point. It got me hooked and I display it proudly on my bookshelf. Be warned that there are some rather intense sex scenes so if that makes you uncomfortable, you might want to avoid this for something a bit milder. This isn't a trashy book and there is an actual STORY. I love this book and you will too.

Page: 1 | 2