Profile for M. Codas Echavarri > Reviews

Content by M. Codas Echavarri
Top Reviewer Ranking: 299

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

M. Codas Echavarri "Marcos Codas" (Ontario, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

32GB 32G Memory Stick PRO Duo for PSP, Camera, Phone, Photo Frame, MicroSD + Adapter
Offered by NOSTeck Direct
Price: CDN$ 19.30
3 used & new from CDN$ 19.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great for PSP ROMs, but only 29.5GB, Nov. 19 2013
The card itself works great. Pop it into the PSP first, though, so that the PSP itself formats the card. After that, pop it into the PC, transfer your files, and you're golden.

That said, it's not 32GB, it's only 29.5GB. That's a big difference. I can live with it, though, but I wish I'd gotten my full 32GB. Still, for the price it's pretty good.

CitiGeeks® 3x Anti-Glare Premium Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy S II - Model I9100 (Please check model number of your device). Fingerprint Resistant. Matte. Pack of 3. CitiGeeks Retail Package.
Offered by CitiGeeks
Price: CDN$ 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good., Aug. 27 2013
Easy to apply. The anti-glare works really well, and it keeps off fingermarks remarkably well. I'm pretty happy with it.

CitiGeeks® Pack of 3 Anti-Glare/Matte Screen Protectors for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 compatible only with GT-P7500 / GT-P7510 model (Please check model number of your device!)
Offered by CitiGeeks
Price: CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, Aug. 27 2013

Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
Le Pan TC 970 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Froyo 2.2 OS
2 used & new from CDN$ 219.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The best in its pricepoint EDIT: was! Don't buy now!, Aug. 26 2011
Update June 2014:

I cannot believe some marketplace sellers are taking advantage of my review and upping the price to over $300 for this device. DO NOT BUY IT!! Unless you see it on sale for around $50, this is an outdated device, with NO support (from the manufacturer OR the community anymore), and it is NOT worth it.

Mine is still working well after all this time, but it cannot cope with most daily apps such as Facebook after the updates.

IF you want to buy something cheap, go for a used Galaxy Tab 10.1. Fantastic device, still fast enough to run most things.

DO NOT BUY THIS!

It was good while it lasted, but it hasn't been for some time, and it certainly isn't now!

___________________

UPDATE 27-08-2013: Please take into consideration this is a 2 year old review of a 2 year old device. If you still have it, great. If you don't, look for something else.

It struggles to keep up with updated apps, as it's bound to do with the obsolence all devices have built-in. If you find one cheap (under $100), and you want a large display, consider it, but keep in mind that it won't be able to run a lot of newer apps.

It's been a great device for me, and it's been passed down to other members of the family. But really, it struggles to keep up with the times. Wi-Fi has begun to drop off fairly often, support from LePan is less than satisfactory (for various of their devices, from what I gathered as an avid member of the LePan user community).

It is time to move on.

__________________________________________________________________________

*WARNING*

Fairly long review ahead. With lots of technical gibberish.

___________

The Le Pan TC970 hasn't got many reviews here on Amazon.ca, and the only reason for that I think, is the fact that people are too busy enjoying it to come over and write a review. So I will, and I will provide a bit of background as well.

I've been working in computers (personal and industrial), for over 20 years. I jumped on the Android bandwagon only last year, when I got my HTC Desire, and I fell in love with it at first sight: Highly customizable in appearance, a lot of potential hardware-wise. The only difference is that back then, I paid over US$500 for my phone.

And I bought the Le Pan TC970 for less than CA$300 with shipping included. Go figure.

First, I'll address some of the issues that you will encounter on other reviews (and that didn't really help me much in deciding whether to buy this or not, to be honest).

*) Finger Smudges: Yes, they are annoying, and the screen gets pretty full of them rather easily. However, they don't affect visibility as they do on other (and smaller) devices. Thanks to the brilliance and clarity of the display, the fingerprints on the screen are only really bothersome when you turn the tablet off. If you don't care about that, cleaning it once a day with the provided pad should be enough.

*) Awesome display: Absolutely. Clarity and definition. For a tablet within its pricepoint (and many far beyond it), there is nothing that beats the display on the Le Pan. It's simply fantastic.

*) Dead pixels/ghost spots: I can only speak about mine, but I have 2 dead pixels, and to be quite honest, I don't really care. You might, but I don't. I don't use it for video editing or something of the sort, so maybe that's why I don't care. I don't have any ghost spots on mine, though.

Now, the nerdy stuff:

*) The processor is a Cortex A8 with a clock speed of 1GHz. It's really, really responsive. I've used it so far for video calling (I'll get to that later), and Netflix (also will get to that later), which are the most excruciating tasks that I'll be putting the tablet through, and it didn't even flinch, even with other stuff (like the Market and MercuryMSN), running in the background. Another good thing about the Cortex Processor is that it is not only powerful, but compatible with a LOT of important software.

*) Something (else) that's not said on the description, which I think is awesome, is that besides the 2GB MicroSD card included, the internal storage of the tablet is also 2GB (or thereabouts), so you have 4GB ready to use out of the box. Big plus for me, as with my HTC Desire, I'm constantly running out of space because the on-board storage is not even 1GB.

*) The tablet runs a pretty basic version of Android 2.2 (FroYo). This means you'll run into some annoyances if you want to do stuff like videocalls, because this device has a front facing camera, and supposedly, FroYo doesn't support it. Well, I'm able to use it, no problem. However, it's only after 2 full days of tinkering, looking for a CUSTOM version of Skype that would make it work.

Also, and following this same line, Netflix for Froyo here in Canada, with streaming, is not officially supported (as are many other applications, most of which have very good substitutes available in the market anyway). However, if you are a bit nerdy and have the patience for it, you can find the APK for Netflix that will allow you to watch movies on this (and many others) device.

I've had to contact Le Pan Customer Service already, because I wanted to do a Hard Reset on it after figuring out everything, so that I could only have the working versions installed. (you might not need to do this, it's up to you).

They replied in less than 12 hours, and not only did they provide full instructions on how to do a hard reset, but they also provided me with a link to download an updated build of the Operating System to upgrade my firmware.

As it stands right now, I'm running build 4431, still in FroYo, with Videocall capabilities (with front-facing camera) in Skype, and Netflix streaming like a dream.

It has been said that Le Pan will wait until the next major release of Android (set to drop sometime in the last quarter of this year), by the name of Ice Cream Sandwich, for a complete upgrade on the Le Pan TC970. We'll have to wait and see.

Final Notes:

*) For a medium user, this tablet is MORE than powerful, it's well built, looks beautiful, it has plenty of storage, and it's affordable. However, you might need to be a bit nerdy to get stuff like videocalling and Netflix streaming to work, with lots of patience and (very careful) tinkering.

*) For nerdy users, this is even better. If you know your way around APKs, and don't mind spending a couple of days setting it up, you'll have a tremendously powerful device that looks, feels and works better than many of its rivals in higher price ranges, at less than CA$300.

I love mine, and I'm really, really glad I bought it. I'll continue to use my desktop computer for major computing, but for surfing, emailing, and general entertainment, my Le Pan is my Go-To device, even with my HTC Desire still in my pocket.

Sorry the review is long, but it needed to be done, I think!

Cheers!

__________________________________

Update: 18/12/2011

Still loving this tablet. Battery life is eternal, ADW makes it look fantastic. Still super responsive. The most major change since I first wrote the review is that Netflix is now natively supported, which is good, because I was a bit tired of looking for updated APKs. If you read about compatibility issues with the official Netflix app, as I did, don't pay much attention to them. The Le Pan runs Netflix like a dream on the app you get from the market.

The Skype situation is the one that most people will be worried about, and sadly, there still isn't (and I don't really know if there ever will be), an Android-market provided app that supports the camera on this tablet. However, my modded APK works fine still, so I can't complain.

I've also spoken to Le Pan technical support again, and they've told me that even though they thinking about a more solid Froyo build, they will not be upgrading to Gingerbread, Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich.

Actually, Le Pan is already hinting (very heavily), that they are working on a new tablet that will run Honeycomb on a Tegra platform.

______________________________

UPDATE: 16-09-2012

So, about a year after I first bought my tablet, and I wanted to update it to include more information. So here it goes: It's really great to live with. Battery is still going strong, and even after I fell asleep and let it fall, cracking the screen, it still works (don't try it, though, I'm not responsible if yours breaks and no longer turns on!).

For my own personal device, not much has changed, except added compatibility with market devices, including a version of Skype which natively supports the front-facing camera.

There has been no official OS upgrade (I did mention before there wouldn't be). However, new firmware has been released, upgrading functionality (such as Wi-Fi stability).

There is also a very great user-based community surrounding this little device. You can find them in a website/forum called "Le Pan Life", where you'll be able to ask questions and read up on how other users are making their devices better.

This includes the development of a CyanogenMod 7 port (developed in conjunction with XDA forum members), which is almost 100% functional. Only video recording doesn't work (which doesn't allow Skype videocalls, sadly), but users report CM7 runs beautifully on the LePan.

Installation of this ROM is straight forward enough for a medium user to try their hands on it, considering a Le Pan Life forum administrator was kind enough to create a very detailed installation guide (cheers, Yann!).

So, while the TC970 is a bit old now, it still receives much support from the user community. A community that is really tightly-knit and helpful towards its members.

As for my device: Yes, sometimes I wish it had a newer OS. And yes, sometimes I wish it was quad-core and had a 21" screen. But to be honest, most of the time... it just is one of my best investments in electronics of the past few years.

Cheers!

Antique Monogram Journal (Diary, Notebook)
Antique Monogram Journal (Diary, Notebook)
by Peter Pauper Press
Price: CDN$ 11.69
26 used & new from CDN$ 10.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, I guess, July 25 2010
I really did expect a bit more from this Journal. The pictures looked way better than the somewhat flimsy final presentation that I got. I guess I got my money's worth, but still... I'm not happy with it, and I'll be looking into another product next time

When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors
When You're Strange: A Film About The Doors
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Price: CDN$ 16.95
30 used & new from CDN$ 7.48

2.0 out of 5 stars A great look into how Jim's talent fed the other members, July 25 2010
I have been a fan of The Doors for as long as I can remember. I've starved in order to get a rare item from them. I've listened to them for hours trying to get inside Jim's head. I've always been partial to songs that had Jim's lyrics in them, because I found them to be much more poetical than those written by Robbie. While most people were going nuts over Light My Fire, I listened to "The End" over and over again, trying to see where Jim's mind was at the time, and why.

I tell you this because, if you feel identified with what I stated above, you will HATE this "documentary". I remember when Oliver Stone's movie came out, the living members said that it was a pretty picture painted of Jim, and that it was very inaccurate (specially in magazines... such as Guitar Legends, and others). Well, I guess they felt they needed to set the record straight.

In this "documentary", we see Jim portrayed as a person with mild talent that was given much more attention than he deserved because of his looks and his on-stage performance, rather than his poetic capabilities or his singing abilities, which, throughout the movie, are being put down.

The only thing that I liked about this "documentary" is that you see that no matter what Jim did, or how supposedly irresponsible and volatile he was, the other members never kicked him out. Why, you might ask yourself, at the end of the film, did they not just kick him out, if he was so unreliable and untalented?

The simple answer: Jim FED them. It was Jim's talent that kept The Doors alive, his charisma, his poetry. And it is still feeding them. How many of the people who bought this film, would have bought it if this wasn't about The Doors, but about Ray, Robbie or John?

Save yourself the heartache of seeing Jim portrayed as a Clown, and remember him for who he really was.

Damnation (Vinyl)
Damnation (Vinyl)

5.0 out of 5 stars A step in a different direction, which payed off, March 9 2010
This review is from: Damnation (Vinyl) (LP Record)
"Damnation" is a very controversial album. Opeth, a band known for brutal death metal incorporating progressive acoustic riffs, released "Damnation" alongside "Deliverance". While "Deliverance" is an album that follows in the steps of its predecessors, the completely acoustic "Damnation" came as a bit of a shock for many fans, some of which got very angry at the band, telling them they sold out.

In my opinion, however, this album was a right thing to do. In previous works from Opeth we notice the influence of progressive rock bands from the 70's such as Camel, and it made sense for them to do this album, which they did magestically.

Again, Martin Lopez's drums are beyond anything you would expect from a "metal" drummer, incorporating A LOT of jazz into his playing, making it much open, rather than tight as most rock/metal drummers out there. The clean vocals from Mikael are immaculate, and the guitars and bass have such musicality behind them that I'm sure this album will be considered as a milestone even by people from outside the metal scene.

Why did I chose vinyl? Well, firstly, because this is a collector's edition gate-fold double LP, and for under $20, you are getting A LOT for your money as far as investment. However, it's the SOUND that captivates me. Lacking the excessive tightness of a CD, which has to be compressed in certain frequencies, vinyl just makes for a better listening experience in the right equipment. The subtleties of each instrument are much more apparent, specially those of the drum bodies (the Toms, in particular).

All in all, a solid investment, and a delightful record to be listened to carefully, and to be appreciated in all its glory

Deliverance (Vinyl)
Deliverance (Vinyl)
2 used & new from CDN$ 99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that will be regarded as classic, in a format that already is, March 9 2010
This review is from: Deliverance (Vinyl) (LP Record)
I bought this "Limited Collector's Edition 180-gram vinyl" because this album is one of my favourites from Opeth. For those who don't know much about Opeth, they do Death metal mixed with progressive acoustic parts, killing riffs and great ambiance, and of course vocals (both growling and clean), from Mikael Akerfeldt.

"Deliverance" is a great album in all senses of the word. The compositions are top notch, vocal work is excellent, guitars are beyond what any band is doing right now, and not because of the speed, but because of the musicality behind the riffs. Also, this album still had Martin Lopez behind the drums. Lopez is, in my opinion, one of the best metal drummers to hit the scene, particularly because of his implementation of jazz drumming into death metal.

As for the vinyl presentation, it's a gatefold vinyl. The lyrics are written inside, and a couple of pictures. As always, Opeth keeps it clean. I like the "collector's edition" sticker (and I kept it). However, the SOUND is the main attractive behind this purchase. Without getting into too many technicalities, digital mixes (such as those for CDs), are compressed in certain frequencies. MP3s can't even compete, not even at 320 kpbs. But vinyl... in vinyl it seems like everything has more ROOM. It's not as tight, and the delicacies of each instrument, specially of the drums, are much more noticeable.

Overall, the only negative thing that I have to say about this purchase is that it did take a while for the order to get here, but that's to be expected with an item such as this. It was definitely worth the wait, and for the price, this album cannot be beaten.