Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 28

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lust for Life
Lust for Life
Price: CDN$ 32.87
8 used & new from CDN$ 16.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Japanese version is the one to get!, June 26 2014
This review is from: Lust for Life (Audio CD)
I concider this Pop's best solo outing. Most songs are co written with David Bowie (he is the co producer as well ) and they make a great writing team. List For Life and The Passenger are both on this CD and they arn't even the best songs. Thing that sucks was the north American version of the CD has never been remastered but the Japanese version has and I can hear instruments I didn't even know were there. I know it's three times the cost of the domestic but if you like good sound it's worth it!

Raw Power Live: In The Hands Of The Fans (Blu-ray)
Raw Power Live: In The Hands Of The Fans (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Iggy And The Stooges
Price: CDN$ 19.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 14.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Show By The Stooges, June 23 2014
This was filmed after Ron Ashton passed away so it has James Williamson (who played guitar on Raw Power) on Guitar. It has Scott Ashton on drums and Mike Watt on bass and of course Iggy on vocals. This show was shot by six fans of the band. Most shots look professional but here and there you get bouncing camera shots. The set list relyes heavily on the Raw Power album. Iggy is in great shape and gives the show a lot of energy. Excellent sound. It's great that there is a Blu ray from this tour since we already had the Ron Ashton period covered on the DVD Live In Detroit.
If your a Stooges fan I would think you would be happy with this. People new to the Stooges might enjoy this but I suggest you start with the DVD Live in Detriot.
Over all I love this release.

Iggy Pop - 7" Action Figure
Iggy Pop - 7" Action Figure
Price: CDN$ 19.28
24 used & new from CDN$ 19.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Figure, June 22 2014
This review is from: Iggy Pop - 7" Action Figure (Toy)
In the last year I have picked up some figures for a display cabnet. I pretty well done (there is space for one more but I am holding off until I find something I really like. But when I saw this I had to get it being the huge Iggy fan that I am. This is one of the best music figures I have seen. I have seen a John Lennon and Ronnie James Dio and their face are not even close. This looks like a six inch Iggy. The body right down to shirtless and in jeans is exactly what Iggy wears on stage. It also comes with a base (not shown in picture). The only down side is he has about a three centimeter microphone that slidee into one of the hands. If you drop it, like I did, it will take you ages to find it.
Over all very happy with the product!

Ronnie Dio And The Prophets: The Early Years
Ronnie Dio And The Prophets: The Early Years
Price: CDN$ 18.24
4 used & new from CDN$ 18.24

3.0 out of 5 stars If you are a Ronnie James Dio fan this is a blast., June 18 2014
This CD is priceless. It feels almost like a late 50's recording. Obviously this is not a CD that was made by Dio the heavy metal god. If you are a completest this is a must. Put this on as friends and they won't believe it's Ronnie. As for the CD itself it's not that bad. Recording quality is better then I thought it would be because of the fact that it's not some classic record remaster. These are the kind of recording that you hear it was found in a garage or someone had them in their attic.
A lot of fun but not for everyone.

Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live at the Isle of Wight [Blu-ray]
Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live at the Isle of Wight [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jimi Hendrix
Price: CDN$ 20.00
31 used & new from CDN$ 16.00

3.0 out of 5 stars If you have the DVD don't buy this, June 18 2014
First off the show it's self is good. Not Jimi on his best night but still good. For that I would have given 4 stars but the Blu ray version is, well....sad. First of the screen has bars down the side (which is the norm on Blu ray) but it shrinks the modern interviews to a square in the center of the screen. It has a bright bar of light down the side of the frame at times. It even has a section where little white dots appear and disappear across the screen (checked it on two Blu ray players and it did it on both). To tell you the truth it could pass as a bootleg. I am one of those people who loves music Blu rays be it Audio only or concerts but I wish the had left this one as a DVD release only. Too bad Hendrix deserves better.

American Caesar
American Caesar
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 29.95
11 used & new from CDN$ 2.18

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Iggy's Best!, June 14 2014
This review is from: American Caesar (Audio CD)
This is the album that brought me back to Iggy Pop. This CD has well crafted songs played by a band that's heavy and tight. Make no mistake this is his heaviest record outside of his work with the Stooges. It also contains some of his best lyric writing. Songs like Wild America, F$&@in' Alone or Jealousy are some of his best since Lust For Life. This is an Iggy Pop record so it's not for everyone but if you like balls out rock music look no further !

Quadrophenia: Live in London [Blu-ray]
Quadrophenia: Live in London [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ The Who
Price: CDN$ 24.98
38 used & new from CDN$ 12.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Show, Good Blu ray, June 10 2014
This show rolled thru town last year and it was amazing and thankfully so is this show. Rogers's voice is lower then when they made the album (the guy is in his 60's) but he still sounds great. Pete's playing better then he has for years. He is full of energy and you can hear it in his playing. The rest of the band is tight.
So why four stars? The Blu ray really needs more bass, at least in the 5.1 mix it does. But over all the sound is good. After seeing this show I was dying for the Blu ray to come out and it doesn't disappoint. If you are a fan of the Who you know how great this album is. Quadrophina is the majority of the show ( after all it's a double album) but you do get a hand full of hits as a bonus. So if you want a show of their hits pick up the Albert Hall show. For us die hards we finally have it!

Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict
Offered by Random House Canada, Incorp.
Price: CDN$ 13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very revealing and way too much golf!, June 8 2014
This feels very much like two books put together to me. It feels like the publisher wanted a Alice autobiography and Alice wanted to write a book on Golf. Some of the golf stories are funny but most are only interesting if you play the game (needless to say I don't). This is also a cleaned up history choosing to omit some of the subjects you might want him to touch on. I would've liked to hear more about the break up of the Alice Cooper group. He does mention how bad his alcohol addiction was but only mentions in passing his coke addiction later on.
My last complant is him going on about his faith. Don't get me wrong if it gets you thru life that's great (to each their own) but I did not buy the book for spiritual enlightenment. Listening to some one talk about their faith is about as exciting as a friend telling you about their day at work (I mean no disrespect to those of you who are religious).
Once you take out the golf and talk about his faith you are left with a nice 40 page bio.

Live 2013
Live 2013
Price: CDN$ 42.32
19 used & new from CDN$ 23.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Mott DVD!, June 8 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (Audio CD)
This was filmed at a reunion show from a couple of years ago. The band sounded great ! Yea the guys are old now but they still play with a spark. Something you don't often see when bands do these reunion shows. Great set list with minamul lights and just a basic stage these guys manage to keep your ears and eyes glued to your set.
So why only four stars? First off the sound is only in stereo. Nice mix but still only stereo. My second complant is it should have been filmed in HD. However I assume that these technical issues were the product of a small production budget.
Mott The Hoople is a classic band that should be in the Rock n Roll hall of fame and any serious music collector should definatly check out!

A Letter Home
A Letter Home
Price: CDN$ 14.98
51 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Even Bad Neil Is better then most., May 29 2014
This review is from: A Letter Home (Audio CD)
This by far the worset sounding Neil Young record you will ever hear. Recorded in a booth they use to make 45's on in arcades. Before magnetic tape was around or cheap enough to use. Sitting stoned (yea I know Neil does not drink or smoke anymore) around a kitchen table this might sound like a great idea but in the cold light of day it's kind of dumb. The destortion on some of the tracks is so bad it's hard to make out the song. I would say this is Neil worse record but, in my mind, Are You Passionate still gets that title.
This is for die hards only and even we won't play it much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20