Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 24

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nosferatu: 2-Disc Deluxe Remastered Edition [Blu-ray]
Nosferatu: 2-Disc Deluxe Remastered Edition [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Max Schreck
Price: CDN$ 34.98
18 used & new from CDN$ 26.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of 2 Disc Blu Ray remaster!, Jan. 20 2014
I still find this one of the creepiest Vampire movies ever. I had what I thought was a pretty good copy on DVD. I was wrong. For a film approaching it's 100th anniversary it looks stunning. The full 90 minute film has never looked so good. It has a beautiful 5.1 music score to accompany the film (also plays back in stereo). Uses colour too enhance the film. This is NOT colorized it uses colour to tint the whole frame. So it gives you a feel of being day or night, indoor or outdoor. I did not know if I would like this but I do think it works very well without destroying the black and white experience.
At around $30 it is a little pricey but this was done by Kino. They are a studio that has put out some great classic films as well as excellent documentaries (Levon Helm, I Ain't In It For My Health). I usually hold off if a title seems pricey but Kino seems to throw the money at their next project. I really look forward to their next release!

Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin' [Blu-ray]
Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin' [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jimi Hendrix
Price: CDN$ 20.00
31 used & new from CDN$ 18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great., Jan. 13 2014
If you are big Hendrix fan and have his DVD's you have seen most of it before. To be fair a lot of key people fom his career that a dead.
My main problem is there is very little talk about music (well for a 90 minute Blu ray). Most scenes are People
talking about his personality. They mention each record in breif. The best clips are with Eddie Kramer (his engineer).
My last point is there a dozen stores about how Hendrix died yet all this film says "Jimi Hendrix Died on...". But nothing about cause.
If you have never seen any Hendrix DVD's you will probably love it. For the rest of us they seem to have hit the bottom of the barrel.
However the bonus tracks are cool. Put together (from hand held camera's) Four songs from Miami Pop and a few more from another show.
Just an FYI the live CD of Miami Pop that came out the same day as this is excellent!

Miami Pop Festival
Miami Pop Festival
Price: CDN$ 13.82
39 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performance, Jan. 11 2014
This review is from: Miami Pop Festival (Audio CD)
This is one of the best Hendrix shows ever caught on tape. But Not the best sounding one. Don't get me wrong it has very good sound for what it is and what it is a festival recording form the late 1960's at a large open air venue. Anyone of these things could kill a live tape but for all it's limitations it sounds great. THIS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A BOOTLEG! Running time a little short but most festival sets are 45 minutes to an hour.
This is also from a period with less live recordings. This is actually from the Axis Bold As Love Tour. Up until now almost all the releases were either early days or from "Electric Lady Land" on.
This live CD while not Monterey Pop it's pretty close and miles better then the "The Isle Of Wight". If you pick up the latest Hendrix Blu Ray " My Train A Comin'" (I assume it's on the DVD as well) you get a very rough cut of part of his set and in 5.1.
I love these live reissued and previously unreleased live CD's. I just hope there are more in the vault!

Prounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd (Vinyl)
Prounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 39.69
13 used & new from CDN$ 26.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Album, Excellent SACD, Jan. 10 2014
This is one of the best records put out in the 70's. It is also one of the best debut albums in rock. Tuesday's gone is worth it alone. The SACD has a great warm bass sound with extremely clear but not shrill vocals. I have had a few versions of this album and after doing a A B test this is by far the best. Even if you don't have an SACD player the CD layer is Awsome as well. If you want to hear the best of southern rock grab this and The Allman Brothers Eat A Peach. Then You will see what all the fuss is about.

PXR5
PXR5
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 12.75
22 used & new from CDN$ 12.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album by Hawkwind, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: PXR5 (Audio CD)
I find a lot of people are divided over this record. It's a real love or hate. I personally think it's brillant. It still has the trance like Prog music but it has a much slicker production.
It's really hard to describe Hawkwind without hearing them. They sound a bit like the space rock period of Pink Floyd but they also have the trance thing going that the Grateful Dead and Santana did so well.
Excellent bonus material. It puts the running time at almost twice the size of the original release.
How can you not get a kick out of songs with titles like "Uncle Sam's On Mars" or a song simply titled "Robot".
This may not be Hawkwind's best record but it is one of their great ones. Hmmm reminds me I need a new light for my Lava Lamp.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Child's Toy, Jan. 7 2014
Regardless of description this is nothing but a cheap rubber child's toy. It does not come packaged. It even had a plastic hook to hang it for sale purposes. This is a dollar store type item. This in no way it is an adult display item. I have picked up a few figures and they are solid, well built with excellent detail. This has none of those. There are many Godzilla figures spend the extra money and get a good one. If my nieces and nephew don't want it I am sure my dog can use a new chew toy. $30 plus and it will be used as a dog toy. That's just sad.
Just an FYI the bottom of this TOY has no company name and is made in China so it's a bootleg. Plus I will never use Japan Hobby Shop again. When I complained he sent me an email that was so disrespectful that Amazon gave me a Twenty dollar credit.

Love It to Death
Love It to Death
Price: CDN$ 49.43
15 used & new from CDN$ 40.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a good sounding Alice Crooper Album, Jan. 5 2014
This review is from: Love It to Death (Audio CD)
I have no idea why Rhino did not remaster all of Alice Cooper's albums when they put out the box set and the deluxe Billion Dollar set with the great live second disc.
This album is a classic and the domestic CD's sound like crap. So after finding Killers on gold disc remastered I bit the bullet and bought Schools Out as an Import from Japan.
I had to do the same with this album (buy a Shm Cd from Japan). But the sound quality is night and day compared to the domestic. I know it's very expensive but it's the only way to get an upgraded master.
You can take your chances and wait MoFi just announced that "Billion Doller Babies" is coming out on a SACD / CD and remastered at that. I am hoping they will do at least the Alice Cooper Group Albums.
I have bought a lot of remasters over the years and with out a doubt this is the best remaster I have heard comparing the SHM (I still don't think SHM CD's makes a difference is all the mastering. Why do the Japanese do a much better remastering as aposse to the ones here?

Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H.MonsterArts King Ghidorah
Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H.MonsterArts King Ghidorah
16 used & new from CDN$ 353.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Replica !, Jan. 3 2014
Do not usually by things like this but decided to pick a few different figures for display. This was by far they best looking Bandi figure from the Godzilla franchise. Bigger then most in the series but to scale compared to other figures. Very delicate. It would break extremely easy. But the detail is incredibly good. This will be the centerpiece to my very small collection!

Thunder & Lightning (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Thunder & Lightning (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Price: CDN$ 28.02
31 used & new from CDN$ 10.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Out On A High Note!, Jan. 1 2014
I know not many would agree with me but I feel this is Thin Lizzy's best studio album. At the end of the "Renegade" tour the band talked of calling it a day. Phil Lynott felt they should make one more great record and go out on a high. So back in the studio they went and came out with the heaviest record of their career. This album is more hard rock / Metal then say "Jailbreak" was. But the writing is up there with their classics.
The remaster is much better then the one that was out on Wounded Bird Records prior. Second CD has some great live stuff plus a bunch of demo's. Good liner notes with standard deluxe edition packagings (Like the other remaster Lizzy's came out).
In my opinion this is one of the most under valued albums of the 1980's.

And Before Elf....There Were Elves
And Before Elf....There Were Elves
Price: CDN$ 16.61
7 used & new from CDN$ 12.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Ronnie's early days!, Jan. 1 2014
This CD is a blast. It sounds like some band you would hear at a local bar but with Ronnie James Dio's vocals. They even do a half decent cover of The Faces "Stay With Me". This CD is made for die hard fans but this one might appeal to people outside of that box. It kind of reminds me of Ten Years After. The sound is pretty good for low budget recordings made over 40 years ago. The funny thing is this band is heavier then the "Elf" records he made after this.
If you are a Dio completest you probably have this but if you are a fan there is enough here for you as well. liil

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20