Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 24

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
But Seriously, Folks.. (24kt gold)
But Seriously, Folks.. (24kt gold)
2 used & new from CDN$ 6,371.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent master of a good record - Gold CD, Jan. 22 2014
I use to listen to this record a lot when I first picked up a turntable again and then it kind of faded away (so did using a turntable). This version (24kt gold CD) has a beautiful warm full bass sound. The vocals are clear but not shrill. This album has been in need of a good digital master since it's original CD release. Finally this is it.
The album it's self is pretty solid. There are a couple of weaker songs but over all it's probably Walsh's best studio record. Let's be honest it worth it for "Life's Been Good" alone!

Junction Seven
Junction Seven
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 7.48
26 used & new from CDN$ 6.17

2.0 out of 5 stars Every artist releases a dud., Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Junction Seven (Audio CD)
I am a very big Steve Winwood fan and every album he has touched (in my opinion) has at least been interesting. Well until now. This is a very weak record and would not even be impressive as an out take CD. The production is good but the song writing is just not there. This just feels very uninspired. This feels like the kind off record artists put out to finish off record deals (see The Band's "Islands").
So Winwood put out a dud as far as I'm concerned he is still batting 950!

Metal Evolution
Metal Evolution
DVD ~ Sam Dunn
Price: CDN$ 37.59
7 used & new from CDN$ 35.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, Jan. 20 2014
This review is from: Metal Evolution (DVD)
Excellent tv series on the history of Heavy Metal. I grew up with 80's metal. No not Motley Crüe but the greats like Judas Priest, Dio era Black Sabbath (love Ozzy to), Scorpions and Iron Maiden to name a few. Then I started drifting into Prog. or Classic rock. A few years ago I started getting back into the heavy stuff and this set introduced me to types of Metal I had never heard of. Great interviews with Metal legends and with fringe artists as well. Where nothing is going to cover everything a style of music has to offer this pointed me in some interesting directions.
I would love to see more TV series like this. I know they did one on Jazz about ten years ago but I was not impressed (and yes i am a jazz fan). This will be watched again, and soon!

GRRR (LMTD ED) (BLU-RAY)
GRRR (LMTD ED) (BLU-RAY)
Offered by beachesmusic
Price: CDN$ 17.98
21 used & new from CDN$ 17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes another Stones compilation but the first in Blu Ray audio !, Jan. 20 2014
Yes this is one of the endless compilations from the Stones. But I picked it up for the format and it was worth it. I already have most of the Stone's albums on SACD and I can tell you this format is better. Plus you are not looking at a $50+ SACD but a Blu ray for around $20 that has three discs worth of material on one Blu ray. Even the Stone's sound better (not a slag on the Stones but high end production was never their thing). I have also picked up "Exile" in this format and it to is better then the SACD.
I do have one question and that is why is Amazon.ca not selling these titles? They sell out really fast and I have bought all but one from sellers. Once again the people who still support the record industry are forced to search around to buy their product. In most cases Amazon is the sole place I can grab any high end format and usually I have to use .com or .UK.
But this product is a great way to hear all of the Rolling Stones hits (well a lot of them). An upgrade for those of us that have bought their product in the past or an excellent introduction for someone just checking them out!

Nosferatu: 2-Disc Deluxe Remastered Edition [Blu-ray]
Nosferatu: 2-Disc Deluxe Remastered Edition [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Max Schreck
Price: CDN$ 34.98
20 used & new from CDN$ 25.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of 2 Disc Blu Ray remaster!, Jan. 20 2014
I still find this one of the creepiest Vampire movies ever. I had what I thought was a pretty good copy on DVD. I was wrong. For a film approaching it's 100th anniversary it looks stunning. The full 90 minute film has never looked so good. It has a beautiful 5.1 music score to accompany the film (also plays back in stereo). Uses colour too enhance the film. This is NOT colorized it uses colour to tint the whole frame. So it gives you a feel of being day or night, indoor or outdoor. I did not know if I would like this but I do think it works very well without destroying the black and white experience.
At around $30 it is a little pricey but this was done by Kino. They are a studio that has put out some great classic films as well as excellent documentaries (Levon Helm, I Ain't In It For My Health). I usually hold off if a title seems pricey but Kino seems to throw the money at their next project. I really look forward to their next release!

Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin' [Blu-ray]
Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin' [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Jimi Hendrix
Price: CDN$ 20.00
33 used & new from CDN$ 18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not great., Jan. 13 2014
If you are big Hendrix fan and have his DVD's you have seen most of it before. To be fair a lot of key people fom his career that a dead.
My main problem is there is very little talk about music (well for a 90 minute Blu ray). Most scenes are People
talking about his personality. They mention each record in breif. The best clips are with Eddie Kramer (his engineer).
My last point is there a dozen stores about how Hendrix died yet all this film says "Jimi Hendrix Died on...". But nothing about cause.
If you have never seen any Hendrix DVD's you will probably love it. For the rest of us they seem to have hit the bottom of the barrel.
However the bonus tracks are cool. Put together (from hand held camera's) Four songs from Miami Pop and a few more from another show.
Just an FYI the live CD of Miami Pop that came out the same day as this is excellent!

Miami Pop Festival
Miami Pop Festival
Price: CDN$ 13.30
36 used & new from CDN$ 9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Performance, Jan. 11 2014
This review is from: Miami Pop Festival (Audio CD)
This is one of the best Hendrix shows ever caught on tape. But Not the best sounding one. Don't get me wrong it has very good sound for what it is and what it is a festival recording form the late 1960's at a large open air venue. Anyone of these things could kill a live tape but for all it's limitations it sounds great. THIS DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A BOOTLEG! Running time a little short but most festival sets are 45 minutes to an hour.
This is also from a period with less live recordings. This is actually from the Axis Bold As Love Tour. Up until now almost all the releases were either early days or from "Electric Lady Land" on.
This live CD while not Monterey Pop it's pretty close and miles better then the "The Isle Of Wight". If you pick up the latest Hendrix Blu Ray " My Train A Comin'" (I assume it's on the DVD as well) you get a very rough cut of part of his set and in 5.1.
I love these live reissued and previously unreleased live CD's. I just hope there are more in the vault!

Prounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd (Vinyl)
Prounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 39.36
12 used & new from CDN$ 26.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Album, Excellent SACD, Jan. 10 2014
This is one of the best records put out in the 70's. It is also one of the best debut albums in rock. Tuesday's gone is worth it alone. The SACD has a great warm bass sound with extremely clear but not shrill vocals. I have had a few versions of this album and after doing a A B test this is by far the best. Even if you don't have an SACD player the CD layer is Awsome as well. If you want to hear the best of southern rock grab this and The Allman Brothers Eat A Peach. Then You will see what all the fuss is about.

PXR5
PXR5
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 12.25
21 used & new from CDN$ 12.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album by Hawkwind, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: PXR5 (Audio CD)
I find a lot of people are divided over this record. It's a real love or hate. I personally think it's brillant. It still has the trance like Prog music but it has a much slicker production.
It's really hard to describe Hawkwind without hearing them. They sound a bit like the space rock period of Pink Floyd but they also have the trance thing going that the Grateful Dead and Santana did so well.
Excellent bonus material. It puts the running time at almost twice the size of the original release.
How can you not get a kick out of songs with titles like "Uncle Sam's On Mars" or a song simply titled "Robot".
This may not be Hawkwind's best record but it is one of their great ones. Hmmm reminds me I need a new light for my Lava Lamp.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Child's Toy, Jan. 7 2014
Regardless of description this is nothing but a cheap rubber child's toy. It does not come packaged. It even had a plastic hook to hang it for sale purposes. This is a dollar store type item. This in no way it is an adult display item. I have picked up a few figures and they are solid, well built with excellent detail. This has none of those. There are many Godzilla figures spend the extra money and get a good one. If my nieces and nephew don't want it I am sure my dog can use a new chew toy. $30 plus and it will be used as a dog toy. That's just sad.
Just an FYI the bottom of this TOY has no company name and is made in China so it's a bootleg. Plus I will never use Japan Hobby Shop again. When I complained he sent me an email that was so disrespectful that Amazon gave me a Twenty dollar credit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20