summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family
Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 34

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
1960 Duesseldorf [Blu-ray] [Import]
1960 Duesseldorf [Blu-ray] [Import]
DVD ~ John Coltrane
Price: CDN$ 43.53
16 used & new from CDN$ 18.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Coltrane Blu ray Audio A Worthy Addition To Any Collection!, June 15 2015
Excellent live show from 1960 with guest Oscar Peterson is great addition to anyone who loves jazz music collection. With a running time of around 40 minutes it's a little on the short side but the recording sounds good. A little echoy but still good. but miles better then I feared. As I mentioned in my Oscar Peterson Reveiw releases like this (on DVD Audio) were a crapshoot. A lot were basically bootlegs being passed off as high end audio only to get them home and discover how bad they were. This Blu ray is not like that at all. Professionally recorded and beautifully mixed. I am very glad I took the chance and bought it. Think I will listen to it again!

Funkadelic
Funkadelic
Price: CDN$ 19.95
44 used & new from CDN$ 9.02

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Record With Three Star Sound, June 10 2015
This review is from: Funkadelic (Audio CD)
First off this is a five star record! But the recording (engineering) on it leaves a lot to be desired. The amount of distortion thru out the CD makes it hard to listen to. Unfortunately this is not a mastering issue but the way it was recorded. This was recorded for inde label in the early 70's by people who had never worked in a studio or else had very little experience. The music is excellent as are the performances it just sucks it was not recorded better.

Take Off: The Complete Blue Note Albums (Blu-ray Audio)
Take Off: The Complete Blue Note Albums (Blu-ray Audio)
Price: CDN$ 40.00
16 used & new from CDN$ 24.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Miles In The Early Days (Blu ray Pure Audio Reveiw), June 9 2015
This is a great collection of Miles Davis's work while at Bue Note. Excellent collection all on one Blu ray and the Audio is great. However this is from a period in Miles life that he was battling heroin. He still sounds great but not to the standered he set for himself while with Columbia Records a few years later. I love that this made it to Blu ray pure audio and hopefully a lot more Jazz will see the light of day on this new format. As for this collection, if you have a Blu ray player hooked up to home entertainment system and like Jazz this is for you!

1961 Cologne Gurzenich Concert Hall [Blu-ray] [Import]
1961 Cologne Gurzenich Concert Hall [Blu-ray] [Import]
DVD ~ Oscar Peterson
Price: CDN$ 43.88
12 used & new from CDN$ 17.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Live 5.0 Blu Ray Pure Audio!, June 9 2015
Even thow we lived in the same city (Mississauga) this is my first Oscar Peterson album. I have to be honest I was not sure if this would be any good? Not the music but the product. When music started coming out on DVD there were a lot of indi companies that put out horrible sounding live DVD's and I was afraid the same thing might happen with these Blu ray releases. Well I had nothing to fear the sound on this is as good as any live album out there. The only downside is there some one talking along with the music in the same way that Monk use to grunt and make noises when he played. I don't think it's Oscar making the noises but someone defiantly is. It's quite in the mix and does not reck the experience plus it's not on every track.
The performance it's self is excellent. The band is tight and the songs are great so that along with the great recording, mixing and mastering makes this an excellent purchase. I ordered the John Coltrane live Blu ray audio as well but have not received it as of yet. I just hope it's as good as this! Oh yea I forgot to mention it's running time is just over an hour.

Let's Get It On (Blu-ray Audio)
Let's Get It On (Blu-ray Audio)
Price: CDN$ 37.82
21 used & new from CDN$ 29.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvin's second Classic Record Get's the 5.1 Treatment (Blu Ray Pure Audio Review), June 9 2015
This is one of the best 5.1 Blu ray Audio's so far. First off this record is a classic second only to "What's Going On". The bass sound is stunning! Beautiful 5.1 mix! The sound on this surpasses the 5.1 SACD for sound quality. If you look at my reviews you will see I am a huge fan of the Blu Ray Pure Audio format and this just reinforces my faith in it. Again, If you have a Blu ray player hooked up to a home theater system I really suggest you check this out!

Love Supreme
Love Supreme
Price: CDN$ 31.68
14 used & new from CDN$ 27.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Review Of Blu Ray Pure Audio Release, June 4 2015
This review is from: Love Supreme (Blu-ray Audio)
This is Coltrane's legendary record. His "Blonde On Blonde" or "Kind Of Blue" (this is actually my third favorite Coltrain record behind "Blue Train" and "Africa / Brass"). So I was really looking forward to receiving this Blu ray. I was thrilled to see it has over an hours worth of Bonus tracks including the entire album being done live (the live tracks are great since they differ from the studio versions in one case the track is actually over twice as long as the original). It also has four studio outtakes but there are audio issues with the last two bonus tracks. They sound like they might have been sourced from damaged master tapes. But by no means does it diminish the quality of this set ( Better to have them as is then not get them at all). The only reason I am not giving this 5 stars is due to a bit of distortion on the third track "Pursuance". It only lasts a second but it's noticeable and I have never heard it on other versions of the albums I have owned so I am assuming it's a mastering error or that the Blu Ray audio is such a good reproduction I am hearing something that has always been there but was not noticeable before (that's the only drag about high end audio. They sound much clearer but you hear the Bad with the good) but either way it's still annoying. However this issue aside I have never heard the album sound this good. If you like this record and you have a Blu ray player it's worth the price of admission and then some!

The Best Of The Grateful Dead (2 CD)
The Best Of The Grateful Dead (2 CD)
Price: CDN$ 14.97
50 used & new from CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This Excellent Compilation Is A Good Place To Start!!, June 4 2015
You either get the Grateful Dead or you don't there are not many casual Dead fans. I love the Dead but as most of us Dead fans know is the best Dead is Live Dead! It's not that their studio output is bad it's just that with exception of a few record (literally 3 albums) the Dead never really caught their live sound in the studio. That being said this is still a excellent collection actually this is the best Dead compilation to date. Excellent selection of songs and stellar sound. I have all of the Dead's studio albums but still picked this up after hearing it played in a local record store. It's hard, when listening to this, to believe the Dead only really had two radio hits in their entire "Strange Trip". The song writing here is excellent and the playing is awesome. The Dead were never short on talent. Normally I would steer people to a single CD compilation when checking out a group like the Dead for the first time but this collection does such a great job and sells for such a low price I would say start here. If you don't like this you just don't get the Grateful Dead (I don't mean that as a put down. When I say "don't get" I mean it does not register with you not that you don't understand it. We like what we like). Normally I would list bands that sound familure at this point in a review but there are not really any bands that sound like the Grateful Dead but if you like early Dylan electric albums or The Band (well a couple of their records) you might get turned on by the Dead. Either way, as i said, outside of buying a great live CD from them this would be the place to start.

Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy-Two
Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy-Two
Price: CDN$ 127.99
40 used & new from CDN$ 91.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Yessongs But Still An Amazing Set!!, May 29 2015
Ah Yes in '72! I was very excited to hear this was coming out being a huge Yes fan from my early high school days on. Well, so how does it live up to expectations? so so. The sound on the CD's is good but not to the standards of other live archive releases of the era. For example the Grateful Dead's current released output from the same year is diffentely much better sounding. Mind you so is last years release of The Allman Brother's Fillmore run. By no means do these sound like bootlegs. They sound good but in my case not as good as I hoped.
As for performance, this is Yes at their peak as a live band. The songs are fresh and full of energy most being played on their first Tour. Anderson sounds great but things are a little weaker in the backing vocals department. Squire's bass is not as crisp as usual on some shows but the liner notes take you through that. Over all keyboards and guitar sound good, drum's are hit and miss depending on the show (talking recording not Alan White's performance).
I know this review makes this set sound less then stellar but that is not the case. This is the Holy Grail (as the liner notes point out) for Yes fans. If you have all the albums this is as close as you can get to a must have. If you are not sure pick up Yessongs or the two CD version of this set. As for buying the 14 CD set? If you love Prog. I am sure you will be happy!

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Wi
Free Your Mind And Your Ass Wi
Price: CDN$ 21.32
29 used & new from CDN$ 8.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Funking Awsome !!, May 28 2015
This is Funkadelic's second record and it's a good one. Only around 30 minutes in length (42 minutes including bonus tracks) it's still a great album. The engineering on the record could be better. There is quit a bit of distortion on some of the tracks. Unfortunately this is not due to poor mastering but on the actual master tapes. But as anyone knows who listens to music from the early 70's a certain amount of distortion can be expected but this has more then the norm. This is not Dark Side Of The Moon but it's almost as trippy. If you are familure with George Clinton's work this is the logical step between the debute record called "Funkadelic" and the third record "Maggot Brain". This is one band who's name really describes their sound. This album is a perfect hybrid of Psychedelic Rock and Funky Soul. It's like "Sly And The Family Stone" on acid (yea I know Sly And The Family Stone were on acid but...) and anyone that wants to seriously check out classic rock needs to hear this record. So far out of the dozen Funkadelic records I have heard I would rank this as their second strongest behind "Maggot Brain". Just a warning this is early "Funkadelic" which is very different then records they made in the late 70's onward.

Trout Mask Replica (Vinyl)
Trout Mask Replica (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 59.86
11 used & new from CDN$ 41.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For Everybody, May 12 2015
First off the mastering on this vinyl is excellent and worth the hefty price tag but that being said do some research before buying this record. Captain Beefheart is not for everyone. Even if you are a huge fan of Frank Zappa's (Who produced the record) early work you still might not be a fan of this record. This record is whimsical, unpolished and at time juvenile however, in my opinion, is still a solid record. The only reason I am only giving it three stars is because it really isn't for everybody. I am sure by now someone has uploaded it to YouTube so you might want to listen to it there first. Rolling Stone magazine has this listed as one of the top 500 rock records of all time and I feel it deserves to be there. You will never hear another record like this! Even Beefhearts other work is not like this album. Similar but not the same. If I was going to sum up what this record sounds like to me it's The Velvet Underground meets Frank Zappa meets Tom Waits. After listening to it I have to marvel at how it ever got made in the first place. No record label now a days would even give this artist a chance but then again unless you are a Pop Tart they don't give anyone a chance!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20