Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 25

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PXR5
PXR5
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 12.51
22 used & new from CDN$ 12.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album by Hawkwind, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: PXR5 (Audio CD)
I find a lot of people are divided over this record. It's a real love or hate. I personally think it's brillant. It still has the trance like Prog music but it has a much slicker production.
It's really hard to describe Hawkwind without hearing them. They sound a bit like the space rock period of Pink Floyd but they also have the trance thing going that the Grateful Dead and Santana did so well.
Excellent bonus material. It puts the running time at almost twice the size of the original release.
How can you not get a kick out of songs with titles like "Uncle Sam's On Mars" or a song simply titled "Robot".
This may not be Hawkwind's best record but it is one of their great ones. Hmmm reminds me I need a new light for my Lava Lamp.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Child's Toy, Jan. 7 2014
Regardless of description this is nothing but a cheap rubber child's toy. It does not come packaged. It even had a plastic hook to hang it for sale purposes. This is a dollar store type item. This in no way it is an adult display item. I have picked up a few figures and they are solid, well built with excellent detail. This has none of those. There are many Godzilla figures spend the extra money and get a good one. If my nieces and nephew don't want it I am sure my dog can use a new chew toy. $30 plus and it will be used as a dog toy. That's just sad.
Just an FYI the bottom of this TOY has no company name and is made in China so it's a bootleg. Plus I will never use Japan Hobby Shop again. When I complained he sent me an email that was so disrespectful that Amazon gave me a Twenty dollar credit.

Love It to Death
Love It to Death
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4CA
Price: CDN$ 40.51
17 used & new from CDN$ 40.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a good sounding Alice Crooper Album, Jan. 5 2014
This review is from: Love It to Death (Audio CD)
I have no idea why Rhino did not remaster all of Alice Cooper's albums when they put out the box set and the deluxe Billion Dollar set with the great live second disc.
This album is a classic and the domestic CD's sound like crap. So after finding Killers on gold disc remastered I bit the bullet and bought Schools Out as an Import from Japan.
I had to do the same with this album (buy a Shm Cd from Japan). But the sound quality is night and day compared to the domestic. I know it's very expensive but it's the only way to get an upgraded master.
You can take your chances and wait MoFi just announced that "Billion Doller Babies" is coming out on a SACD / CD and remastered at that. I am hoping they will do at least the Alice Cooper Group Albums.
I have bought a lot of remasters over the years and with out a doubt this is the best remaster I have heard comparing the SHM (I still don't think SHM CD's makes a difference is all the mastering. Why do the Japanese do a much better remastering as aposse to the ones here?

Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H.MonsterArts King Ghidorah
Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H.MonsterArts King Ghidorah
15 used & new from CDN$ 278.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Replica !, Jan. 3 2014
Do not usually by things like this but decided to pick a few different figures for display. This was by far they best looking Bandi figure from the Godzilla franchise. Bigger then most in the series but to scale compared to other figures. Very delicate. It would break extremely easy. But the detail is incredibly good. This will be the centerpiece to my very small collection!

Thunder & Lightning (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Thunder & Lightning (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Price: CDN$ 27.04
39 used & new from CDN$ 11.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Out On A High Note!, Jan. 1 2014
I know not many would agree with me but I feel this is Thin Lizzy's best studio album. At the end of the "Renegade" tour the band talked of calling it a day. Phil Lynott felt they should make one more great record and go out on a high. So back in the studio they went and came out with the heaviest record of their career. This album is more hard rock / Metal then say "Jailbreak" was. But the writing is up there with their classics.
The remaster is much better then the one that was out on Wounded Bird Records prior. Second CD has some great live stuff plus a bunch of demo's. Good liner notes with standard deluxe edition packagings (Like the other remaster Lizzy's came out).
In my opinion this is one of the most under valued albums of the 1980's.

And Before Elf....There Were Elves
And Before Elf....There Were Elves
Price: CDN$ 16.69
7 used & new from CDN$ 16.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Ronnie's early days!, Jan. 1 2014
This CD is a blast. It sounds like some band you would hear at a local bar but with Ronnie James Dio's vocals. They even do a half decent cover of The Faces "Stay With Me". This CD is made for die hard fans but this one might appeal to people outside of that box. It kind of reminds me of Ten Years After. The sound is pretty good for low budget recordings made over 40 years ago. The funny thing is this band is heavier then the "Elf" records he made after this.
If you are a Dio completest you probably have this but if you are a fan there is enough here for you as well. liil

White Light / White Heat (45th Anniversary 3CD Super Deluxe)
White Light / White Heat (45th Anniversary 3CD Super Deluxe)
Price: CDN$ 70.88
30 used & new from CDN$ 68.71

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 Stars For Box Set Of Velvet's Second Record!, Dec 31 2013
Another perfect box set from the VU. This,the follow up to last years " ...with Nico " box set and it's almost as good. This to comes in a beautiful hard covered coffee table book that holds great photos and excellent liner notes. But as with all great box sets it comes down to the music. The reason this is getting four and a half stars is due to the fact that it only has three CD's of music and not six like the first one. I understand that there was not as much extra music around or more live tapes like there were for the first set. The reason I am knocking it back half a star is because we are being charged the same price for this box set as the last. Yet, as I mentioned, has half the audio.
This set is on CD 1 the album in stereo ith some bonus tracks. The 2nd CD is the CD in Mono plus some different bonus tracks. Usually I don't like Mono mixes but due to how the stereo audio was mixed on the original release it's nice to hear the instruments and vocals not coming from separate speakers. The third and final CD is a live CD that has the best sound (still not great) of any Velvet's show I have heard from this period.
I am assuming that there will be a box for their third album next Christmas and it has me counting the days!

The Qatsi Trilogy: Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Godfrey Reggio
Price: CDN$ 58.09
20 used & new from CDN$ 58.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Film But Lots Of Grain, Dec 26 2013
I love these three films but these are love or hate films. They are not movies or even documentaries, they are a collection of film footage set to music but has a very clear message. It's like the expression "every picture is worth a thousand words". These images show us man falling out with nature and the third film is covers everything from corporate branding to the computer age. Some of my friends think these films are pompous where the rest have really enjoyed them
Now the item it's self. Nice covers and slip case for the films, however they are made of cardboard. Nice booklet with liner notes. All three films restored to a point. It gets better as the films go on but the first film in particular is very grainy. It's to different degrees depending on the lighting. I assume that this was the best they could do since Criterion is not known for cheeping out. the Audio is excellent but a little flawed as well. It sounds great but there is no stereo mix which means for us 5.1 people the surround is a little lack luster since the two front speakers are playing the full soundtrack and the other channels are just reverb to fill out the sound.
Great film, But as I mentioned these films are not for everyone.

Keep An Eye on the Sky
Keep An Eye on the Sky
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 178.05
5 used & new from CDN$ 174.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Box Sets Don't Get Better Then This!, Dec 19 2013
This review is from: Keep An Eye on the Sky (Audio CD)
As a new fan of Big Star I am overwhelmed by the amount of great music they made in such a short time.
This box set has a great mixture of original tracks (the versions on the albums), demo's and unreleased material. The forth disc is a Awsome live CD.
Rhino did a top notch job with the sound. No loudness wars here. Very little compression to none at all. The box it's self has a excellent book (not booklet) taking you thru their career. That along with the packaging that holds the CD's slip into a slipcase. Lots of great photo's. Basically there is not a weak link in this entire package.
Just an FYI. This is not a greatest hits box set. Where it does have all those songs most are a different version.

In the Hot Seat
In the Hot Seat
Price: CDN$ 16.84
27 used & new from CDN$ 4.91

1.0 out of 5 stars And fans thought "Love Beach" was bad!, Dec 17 2013
This review is from: In the Hot Seat (Audio CD)
Why is it wheneve ELP calls it a day the last albums are always crap. Love Beach is bad but this is really bad. As a huge ELP fan I don't think I even would have bought if I knew it was like this. There are no good songs. There are none of the huge musical pieces on it. I don't know if they rushed this out for a tour or what but when you compare this to other ELP records made sience they reformed have been pretty good.
Do your self a favor, unless you are a Completes save your money. I promise you that it will only be listened to once.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20