march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 28

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Blue Nights
Blue Nights
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 16.18
19 used & new from CDN$ 10.16

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The All Time Great Prog./Jazz Fusion CD's!, May 1 2016
This review is from: Blue Nights (Audio CD)
What a great live CD! This is from the late 90's and is much closer to Jazz Fusion then it is to Prog. but I think anyone into either of those styles of music would like this! Needless to say it has one of the all time great rhythm sections with Bruford and Levin (even tho they do not stick to just rhythms). If you are familiar with Miles Davis records like Bitches Brew or Dark Magus and you liked them this would defiantly be for you. No vocals just straight music. This double CD has a running time of about 90 minutes. I could not believe how fast the time went by

4: Sacd Hybrid
4: Sacd Hybrid
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 90.09
11 used & new from CDN$ 90.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Foreigner's Best In 5.1 (Japanese SACD review), April 29 2016
This review is from: 4: Sacd Hybrid (Audio CD)
The first time I saw Foreigner was on this tour. This album was huge back in high school and it was actually the second concert I saw (first was Styx. Yea I'm old) and they were great. Even thou they had hits after this I don't think Foreigner made another album this solid (just my opinion) for the rest of their career ( who knows they are still around so maybe we might get another classic some day). The 5.1 mix is excellent on this but it's pretty well a straight ahead stadium rock album so there are really no trippy audio mixing here. Which is great as the mix serves the music not the format.
If you order this please be aware there are currently two different SACD's of this album. Only the Japanese version has the 5.1 mix the MoFi version is only in stereo.

Chicago 5
Chicago 5
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4CA
Price: CDN$ 115.19
43 used & new from CDN$ 81.41

4.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 SACD Review, April 29 2016
This review is from: Chicago 5 (Audio CD)
Not overly impressed with this SACD. The 5.1 mix is more a 3.1 mix with the rear channels basically used for reverb. You do get some music thru back speakers but The Doobie Brothers, YES and Fleetwood Mac 5.1 SACD's (released at the same time) have much better mixes. This was originally a DVD-A that got put out as a multi-channel SACD using the same master so if you have the DVD-a you don't need this. If you are a fan wait for the 9 Blu Ray audio set that is coming out. It has from Chicago Transit Authority all the way to their 10th album (Live multi disc set is being skipped) so 9 Blu Rays in total. I don't know why they included it but the Greatest Hit Chicago 9 (I think it's 9) is being included even tho all the songs would appear on the Studio albums you are already getting. The set has 192/24 res of the albums in stereo and quad mixes. So woohoo multi channel mixes! For the insane amount they are asking for this SACD online, again, you would be better off waiting until June 17th for Blu Rays.

Back In Anger: 1995 Radio Transmissions
Back In Anger: 1995 Radio Transmissions
Price: CDN$ 16.38
19 used & new from CDN$ 12.88

4.0 out of 5 stars You Will Never See A Tour Like This Again!, April 25 2016
This is an Excellent bootleg that captures the Bowie / NIN 1995 Tour. Sound is really good for a radio broadcast. I saw this show in Toronto and it was incredible. Bowie is touring his "Outside" album so his set is really trippy. I have never seen a show like this ever before or since. First NIN play then at the end of their set Bowie came out and did a song with them followed by his band playing with NIN for a song. After that NIN leave Bowie did ha set. No break just one artist replacing an other. So the show was basically one long set. The only negative I can say about this is there are some digital glitches on the second disc. Not bad but they do occure. Not defect in the disc (as the time counter runs steady) but some flaw from when it was transferred. This is to be expected from a Bootleg.
But I am very happy with this purchase!

Footnote : if you were like me and picked up the single CD ( called "We Prick You") of this tour last month don't worry this ones a hundred times better then that!

Complete Savoy and  Dial Studio Recordings 1944-1948
Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings 1944-1948
Price: CDN$ 110.01
20 used & new from CDN$ 106.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars for Casual Fan's, Five Star For Die Hards, April 24 2016
This collection has it all, literally. This is everything Parker recorded for the Savoy and Dial labels and when I say everything I mean everything! False Starts, takes with someone screwing up and alternate takes they are all here. So this collection is for Bird completists only. I rarely do this but I bought this box set without doing enough research. I am new to Parker and this was on a lot Jazz "must haves" lists so I blindly ordered it. In my case I would have been better of with the master takes box that is also out. With that you get all the completed songs and none of the false starts etc. Don't get me wrong if you are a big fan of an artist these sets are great (l listen to my Stooges Fun House box set a lot) but in my case I am too new to Parker to really appreciate it. Hopefully that will change with time.
The box it's self looks great but it's very cheaply made and if you don't store the discs separately in jewel cases or whatever I could see this box set tearing and the discs being damaged. In other words not overly impressed with packaging. Again, it looks great but should have been made with better materials.

Head Hunters
Head Hunters
Price: CDN$ 60.32
52 used & new from CDN$ 32.28

5.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 SACD review, April 21 2016
This review is from: Head Hunters (Audio CD)
Excellent Jazz Fusion SACD! This is considered by most to be a siminal jazz album. I assume if you are looking to buy this on SACD you already know it's a great record so I will leave the music review at that.
Now to review the SACD. This album sounds great in 5.1 (well it's more a 4.1 as the centre channel is hardly used except for reverb)! The instrument separation is great and the album has a very warm sound. If you like this record and have a 5.1 SACD player I don't see how you could go wrong.

Complete Columbia Studio Albums (6CD)
Complete Columbia Studio Albums (6CD)
Price: CDN$ 41.40
36 used & new from CDN$ 32.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Quartet Studio Output On Colombia (Box Set), April 19 2016
Excellent collection of Monk's work while at columbia records. First off this is not all the studio records he did while on the label it only covers quartets out put. It does not contain Monk's solo work but there is a two CD set that covers that (not included here). It also doesn't cover the big band records he did at the end of his time on the label.
This set does contain some legendary records including my favourite "Straight No Chaser" and it is the full expanded version. The sound is excellent they have been very well mastered.
At this price ($45) it's a great place to start

Santana IV
Santana IV
Price: CDN$ 12.88
37 used & new from CDN$ 7.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Like They Never Left! Buy This CD!, April 15 2016
This review is from: Santana IV (Audio CD)
Santana is back! What a solid album from the 1960's band. I love the first three Santana records and I was really excited when they announced they were doing a new album. This very much has the feel and sound of their first three and classic records. Greg Rollie sounds great, Neil Schon is on fire as is Carlos is great as always. The album has an almost 80 minute running time so there is a lot here to listen to. If you are a Santana fan pick this up. If you are into classic rock pick this up, if you like trance music pick his up. You know what? Just pick this up!
On a side note this was recorded on modern equipment but it still got the late 60's, early '70's sound!

King Crimson: Live in Toronto November 20, 2015
King Crimson: Live in Toronto November 20, 2015
Price: CDN$ 20.89
31 used & new from CDN$ 15.72

4.0 out of 5 stars A Tale Of Two Fripp's, April 13 2016
This is an excellent live album. Very interesting line up and playing songs they haven't played in years. The band is tight and playing at the top of their game. With a three drummer line up these arrangements do sound different to the ones you are use to but I would think faithful enough to the original version not to offend anyone's idea of what the song should sound like. The show was recorded for the collecter club series, I feel, due to the quality of the sound recordings. This was not recorded with the idea in mind that this would be a proper live release. If you have some of their other live CD's I would equal this with B'Boom. Defiantly good enough quality for this type of release but not to the level of Absebt Lovers or Night Watch. Like I mentioned a great selection of songs. Any Crimson fan would love!
On a personal note I attended the show on the 19th ( the evening before) and where as I enjoyed the show Mr. Fripp really rubbed me the wrong way. I live with my parents since they Can no longer live on their own. Which means unless my brother or Sister can cover for me I literally can not leave the house. The Crimson show I saw on the 19th was the first evening I had been out in almost five months. Great night right, first night out and seeing King Crimson! well that was true until the encore. Before the show started Fripp went on the PA asking for no filming or recording (it,s the opening track on this cd) during the show (which I understand, I can never figure out why people pay $100 for show and then watch it on their iPhone screen). Well during the encore some jerk upfront started to take pictures. But instead of being a professional after the first song of the encore Mr Fripp stood up, pointed to the guy in the crowd and stormed off stage. The rest the band kind of stood there for a moment then realized he was not coming back so they left. The song they cut was "21st Century...". a song I love and have never heard them do live. So I was not impressed. I know I will get negative responses to these comments but I think Mr. Fripp should have respected the other 999 people there and not just react to the one. I know Fripp is ...well let's say unique but what he did was very unprofessional. To punish a whole crowed over the actions of the few is well ... I will just go with "uncool". I talked to a couple in line that drove five hours from out of town to see the show so i am sure they were thrilled"" as well.
I am sorry that this incident bothered Mr. Fripp that much but he should have finished the show. People go out of their way to see live shows not to even mention the costs involved. I meet Fripp once when he did an autograph session in Toronto. He is defiantly different but was friendly enough so I am sure he's a good man. But he should have thought of everybody else before steaming off.
But again the CD is great so if you love Crimson buy it!

High Vibration
High Vibration
Price: CDN$ 694.28
69 used & new from CDN$ 401.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes's High Vibration Box On SACD Are The Best Stereo Versions To Date!, April 11 2016
This review is from: High Vibration (Audio CD)
This is amazing SACD box set. The remastering is excellent. A little compression but not the brick wall versions you get on some remastered CD's. I have own these albums multiple times and with exception of the 5.1 these are the best sounding versions I have heard. They are just as good as the stereo tracks on the Blu Rays. Plus some bad news Steven Wilson has said he was only contracted to do the Yes albums from 1970 to '74. So that means "Tales..." Is still coming sometime this year (well hopefully, Steve Howe said the 5.1 mixes for "tales" we're done but Steven Wilson said recently that so far he has just done early rough mixes and he thinks that what's confusing Steve Howe). But back to the box set. Very nicely packaged in proper jewel cases. A book of liner notes (unfortunately only Japanese) in a sturdy box. But again this about the music. So if you love Yes's catalog up to the mid 80's I promise you will be very happy with what you hear and with no future plans for Yes 5.1 this is a good investment. FYI buy from a seller. I got mine for $350 cheaper then what .ca charges.

FYI there a two albums that have disrirtion on them (Close To The edge and Relayer). If you listen to vinyl or any red book versions you can hear it .it was always there but this mastering makes it a little more noticeable. Not enough to boycott the albums but it's there!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20