Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 27

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Maggot Brain (Vinyl)
Maggot Brain (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 29.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pressing Of An Excellent Album, March 23 2015
This review is from: Maggot Brain (Vinyl) (LP Record)
This is a excellent album. A little Different to their other records I've heard or own but great non the less. It's a little less funky but a whole lot trippyer. This reminds me of Hawkwind more then Funkadelic. Which in my opinion is a good thing. Being a fan of both bands. If you are looking for a good pressing you found it. 4 Men With Beards is the label that put out the version I bought and the vinyl is super clean and beautifully mastered.
On a separate note I just bought a new turn table and I had not bought vinyl for years. My question is this. Is it always so hard to find good pressings of vinyl? I have picked up about half a dozen LP's so far and a few sound great but the other few seem to have a lot of destortion especially the Led Zeppelin remasters. I see in reviews people ordering copies from Germany just to get a different pressing. Is vinyl always such a crapshoot ? For the price they charge you would think the quality control would be better.
Complaints about the music business aside this is an excellent record and if you like funk or space rock you should be happy with your purchase.

Hand.Cannot.Erase [Blu-ray] [2015]
Hand.Cannot.Erase [Blu-ray] [2015]
DVD ~ Steven Wilson
Offered by Deal Beat
Price: CDN$ 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album But Amazon.ca Drops The Ball., March 22 2015
This is an excellent album. Great concept, music and lyrics! If you liked his last CD "The Raven that refused..." I would think you would love this. By far Wilson best subject matter to date and his writing gets better with each outing. The production is great but not to the standard set by the last album, engineered by Alan Parsons, but by no means is this a poorly engineered record. The best way to hear this is in 5.1 and that's where Amazon.ca dropped the ball. Why did Amazon.ca not carry the Blu ray? Even now you can only get it from sellers on .ca. I ended up getting mine from the UK. I have noticed of late that .ca is missing a lot of listings (currently the listing for the new Jethro Tull reissue is missing). Amazon.ca really needs to improve their Canadian web site!
If you are not familure with any of Mr. Wilson's work but you like Alan Parsons Project, some King Crimson or even some Eno then check this out.

Defenders of the Faith (30th Anniversary Edition) [Remastered]
Defenders of the Faith (30th Anniversary Edition) [Remastered]
Price: CDN$ 21.99
37 used & new from CDN$ 19.61

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 CD set review, March 19 2015
This was the second tour I saw Priest on back in high school and they were great. Ever since then I have been hoping for a live CD from the early-mid eighties so I was pretty pumped when I heard this was coming out. Priest are at the top of their game on the double live CD and the concert has a great set list. Now for the bad. This was a radio broadcast and that is what the sorce tape is from. I don't know if it was the way it was recorded or if this suffers from the loudness wars but the live discs are very compressed. Like I said this could be from the way it was recorded but either way it does take away from the ambiance of the CD's. However, in my opinion, this is still a great live album and is worthy of it's release. With a running time of over 100 minutes I am pretty sure this is the full show ( Whenever I have seen Priest they play 90 minutes to 2 hours ). But again on the downside there was a show filmed from this tour as I use to have a VHS copy from when it aired on Much Music (yes there was a time when Much Music was a music station and catered to all types of music. On Fridays they use to have their Big Ticket Concert with different bands every week. It could be Duran Duran, Culture Club or Judas Priest, Deep Purple that's what made it cool) so why was it not released either in this set or on it's own?.
The remastered Defenders is very compressed as well but this album always was. I did an A B test between the new CD and my Vinyl from high school and the compression is about the same. A little more noticble on the CD but not a huge difference. But compared to the last version on CD it's pretty well the same so if you don't want the live CD's you could probably stick with the one you already have. But if you like metal the live CD's are a must.

Hand Cannot Erase
Hand Cannot Erase
Offered by dodax-online
Price: CDN$ 17.46
20 used & new from CDN$ 17.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album but Amazon.ca drops the ball!, March 10 2015
This review is from: Hand Cannot Erase (Blu-ray Audio)

Unreleased Electronic Music (Vinyl)
Unreleased Electronic Music (Vinyl)
Offered by marvelio-ca
Price: CDN$ 56.18
4 used & new from CDN$ 56.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's face it Wilson is a musical God!, March 6 2015
I bought a turntable basically for this release. Well that and other vinyl only releases that seem to becoming more common. I am not going to get into the vinyl /Digital debate. Both have their pluses and their minuses. All I will say is after doing a A B test between a $500 CD player and a $500 turntable I found the turntable had better bass but the CD player had less distortion in the mids and highs so if I was to pick one format it would be the third option Blu ray audio.
Anyway this is a great double LP. Excellent sound and very interesting electronic music. Has some great beats and was worth the $54 I paid for it. On 180gram vinyl it has a great warm bass sound. If you like electronic music from Eno to the Chemical Brothers there is something here for you.
Down side this is a very limited release so grab it while you can!

Songs From the Big Chair [Blu-ray Audio]
Songs From the Big Chair [Blu-ray Audio]
Price: CDN$ 36.00
26 used & new from CDN$ 17.94

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 5.1 mixes yet!, March 6 2015
One of the best albums of the 80's finally gets the 5.1 treatment. As always Steven Wilson has done a amazing job mixing this record. Wilson has the knack of being able to remix something in 5.1 yet keep the feel of the original stereo mix. I recently took this to a friends place who is not a big fan of 5.1. Even he admitted this is the version to get. The only down side is the limits of digital recordings from the 80's. They don't sound as full as they do today but again Steve Wilson seems to get around this somehow and really gets the tracks to kick. I am hoping the "...Seeds of Love" is being done as we speak. I am a huge 5.1 fan to me it's like hearing songs for the first time again but it's not for everyone. But if you have the system for playback and it's balanced right I don't see how you could not be impressed.
I grew up in the 80's but I am not a fan of a lot of the music but this is an exception. This album stands shoulder to shoulder with the great pop records of the last 40 years.
If you like great music buy the CD. But if you love great sound by the Blu ray audio you will be glad you did!

Starless (Limited Edition)
Starless (Limited Edition)
Price: CDN$ 192.00
21 used & new from CDN$ 176.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem In The King's Crown !, March 5 2015
Excellent box set by KC. The sound of almost all the live recordings is top notch. There are three bonus discs that are of lesser quality. I would rank this second in the trilogy of box sets. "Road To Red" being first, then this with the "Larks..." box set coming in third. I know a lot of people would think it's pointless having this many shows from one tour but with Crimson there is a reason. The improv segments are different at every show plus they do stretch out on different songs so you are not getting identical shows. This is not Madonna doing identical shows every night. These are real musicians not playing with off stage tapes. This is as real as it gets.
I know these sets are incredibly expensive but if you are a fan when you get the box you will know where the money went.
I always felt this was the best live Crimson line up now I have the proff.

Hawkwind: The Chronicle of the Black Sword
Hawkwind: The Chronicle of the Black Sword
DVD ~ Hawkwind
Offered by Only Rarities
Price: CDN$ 329.00
8 used & new from CDN$ 132.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Band and Concert! Not so great DVD., Feb. 16 2015
I paid a small fortune for this DVD. I was given the Black Sword and Live album from the tour for Christmas and loved them. So I found a used copy of the DVD and was really pumped to see it. Well this is one DVD that needed remastering bad. The film is very dark and the audio is louder in the right channel then left. Basically it looks and sounds like a pirated release.
It's a great show be it 45 minutes shorter then the live album and the band is on fire but you might want to wait for a rerelease. The $65 I paid for mine was too much.

The Ninth Configuration [Blu-ray]
The Ninth Configuration [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Stacy Keach
Price: CDN$ 29.59
17 used & new from CDN$ 25.84

4.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Films You Have Never Seen!, Feb. 16 2015
This movie was released twice in the theater and both times it flopped. That being said this is a hidden gem. The writing, acting and directing are second to none and add a five star script and you get this masterpiece.
The story takes place in an old castle that has been donated to the US army to be used for soldiers that have had breaks with reality. One day a new shrink shows up (start of film) and there is much more to this character then meets the eye. That is all I will say because it would wreak the story for you.
So why only four stars? The Blu ray is not the best (to be fair the DVD did not look that great ether) but it still looks good. The draw back are shots in the rain. It also only has a double mono soundtrack. These draw backs will not effect the story or your enjoyment of the film.
This is a dialog film so not good for movie nights with talkative friends but it is the dialog that makes the film. There are some very funny conversations throughout the film and a lot of them are in the background so you really have to listen.
This film was done by the same person that directed the Exorcist so if you have seen that film you kind of guess the pacing of this film.
I was thrilled to see this come out but if you are interested grab it soon. It's on an indie label and those don't tend to stick around long.

The Road to Red
The Road to Red
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 236.65
20 used & new from CDN$ 207.07

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Rock Box Sets ever Made!!!, Feb. 6 2015
This review is from: The Road to Red (Audio CD)
I love this period of King Crimsons Career. Red being my fav. Crimson record to date. It took me a long time to come around and buy this. Normally a sticker price this high means I skip it but I am glad a didn't. The 20 plus CD's, the DVD-A and two Blu rays are excellent. The Blu ray with four complete shows on in it in 192/24 is cherry on the cake. Sound verys from show to show. Some are multi tracks, others are cassette sound boards and there is even a audience bootleg from one of the shows. They really took their time and did this right. In some cases using bootlegs to fill in the gaps of missing music. This was an act of love. The team that put this together must really love the music. In fact the only down side is you don't get the video included on the DVD-A/CD version of Red released a couple of years back. But I assume most die hards have that. It also contains a couple of versions of the USA live album. But again not everything that was on the individual release.
If you are a passive fan pick up the "Night Watch" or the "Great Deceiver" sets. But if you love this record like I do this will put a big smile on your face. Starless alone will put a grin on your face.
Hopefully I will have the money to pick up the other two before they sell out.
Now if they would only bring the new version of KC to Toronto for a show I would be a happy man! Oh and when do we get the 5.1 of Thrak?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20