march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family
Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 27

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO 7/8/78 (3CD)
Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO 7/8/78 (3CD)
Price: CDN$ 29.32
25 used & new from CDN$ 22.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Worthy Addition To The Ton Of Grateful Dead Live Releases! (CD Version), May 16 2016
This set is from the end of my fav. period from the Dead (with Donna Jean and Keith) and it's a good show. The Dead are playing great and it has an excellent set list. Worthy addition to the tons of Grateful Dead live discs to date.
The reason it's only getting four stars is there is noticeable distortion on Jerry's guitar and some of the vocals. It does not destroy the listening experience but if you like crystal clear live album the Dead have lots of those (Start with From The Vault. Which was actually the first Dead archive release. Current version is remastered). But if you are a fan and have their live CD's this would be a great addition to anyone's Dead collection. I just hope they keep coming. There is a web site deluxe version of this with the complete run but, as usual, it's pricey!
I use to grab the deluxe versions of the live series releases but I found that I have amassed such a collection of live Dead CD's over the years that I just don't listen to all of them enough to justify the purchase. So if you are like me you would be better off sticking with this release.

Waltz for Debby: Limited
Waltz for Debby: Limited
Price: CDN$ 57.82
27 used & new from CDN$ 47.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Evan's Masterpeice On SACD (Japanese shm-SACD version), May 16 2016
Excellent SACD! This is a Bill Evans Masterpeice and the sound on the SACD is excellent. Much warmer bass sound compared to Red book version. It also does a beautiful job reproducing the highs such as hi hat and cymbals. If you love this album and you have an SACD player I promise you will be happy with your investment!

Empyrean Isles / Maiden Voyage (Blu-ray Audio)
Empyrean Isles / Maiden Voyage (Blu-ray Audio)
Price: CDN$ 30.00
17 used & new from CDN$ 25.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu Ray Audio From Mr. Hancock!, May 9 2016
This is an excellent collection. Comprised of the two albums in the title with bonus tracks. I am new to Mr. Hancock's solo work (whenever I heard his name I always think of that song "Rocket" that was a hit in the 80's. Not my fav. song) but loved what he did with Miles Davis so I checked this one out. It's awesome and the sound is outstanding. This is closer to the work he did with Davis as opposed the jazz fusion he was later known for. If you like albums like Sorcerer that he did with Davis you should like this. Plus excellent running time between two albums and bonus tracks.

Blue Nights
Blue Nights
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 18.81
18 used & new from CDN$ 10.16

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The All Time Great Prog./Jazz Fusion CD's!, May 1 2016
This review is from: Blue Nights (Audio CD)
What a great live CD! This is from the late 90's and is much closer to Jazz Fusion then it is to Prog. but I think anyone into either of those styles of music would like this! Needless to say it has one of the all time great rhythm sections with Bruford and Levin (even tho they do not stick to just rhythms). If you are familiar with Miles Davis records like Bitches Brew or Dark Magus and you liked them this would defiantly be for you. No vocals just straight music. This double CD has a running time of about 90 minutes. I could not believe how fast the time went by

4: Sacd Hybrid
4: Sacd Hybrid
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 90.09
13 used & new from CDN$ 90.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Foreigner's Best In 5.1 (Japanese SACD review), April 29 2016
This review is from: 4: Sacd Hybrid (Audio CD)
The first time I saw Foreigner was on this tour. This album was huge back in high school and it was actually the second concert I saw (first was Styx. Yea I'm old) and they were great. Even thou they had hits after this I don't think Foreigner made another album this solid (just my opinion) for the rest of their career ( who knows they are still around so maybe we might get another classic some day). The 5.1 mix is excellent on this but it's pretty well a straight ahead stadium rock album so there are really no trippy audio mixing here. Which is great as the mix serves the music not the format.
If you order this please be aware there are currently two different SACD's of this album. Only the Japanese version has the 5.1 mix the MoFi version is only in stereo.

Chicago 5
Chicago 5
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4CA
Price: CDN$ 115.19
43 used & new from CDN$ 101.46

4.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 SACD Review, April 29 2016
This review is from: Chicago 5 (Audio CD)
Not overly impressed with this SACD. The 5.1 mix is more a 3.1 mix with the rear channels basically used for reverb. You do get some music thru back speakers but The Doobie Brothers, YES and Fleetwood Mac 5.1 SACD's (released at the same time) have much better mixes. This was originally a DVD-A that got put out as a multi-channel SACD using the same master so if you have the DVD-a you don't need this. If you are a fan wait for the 9 Blu Ray audio set that is coming out. It has from Chicago Transit Authority all the way to their 10th album (Live multi disc set is being skipped) so 9 Blu Rays in total. I don't know why they included it but the Greatest Hit Chicago 9 (I think it's 9) is being included even tho all the songs would appear on the Studio albums you are already getting. The set has 192/24 res of the albums in stereo and quad mixes. So woohoo multi channel mixes! For the insane amount they are asking for this SACD online, again, you would be better off waiting until June 17th for Blu Rays.

Back In Anger: 1995 Radio Transmissions
Back In Anger: 1995 Radio Transmissions
Price: CDN$ 17.86
18 used & new from CDN$ 14.34

4.0 out of 5 stars You Will Never See A Tour Like This Again!, April 25 2016
This is an Excellent bootleg that captures the Bowie / NIN 1995 Tour. Sound is really good for a radio broadcast. I saw this show in Toronto and it was incredible. Bowie is touring his "Outside" album so his set is really trippy. I have never seen a show like this ever before or since. First NIN play then at the end of their set Bowie came out and did a song with them followed by his band playing with NIN for a song. After that NIN leave Bowie did ha set. No break just one artist replacing an other. So the show was basically one long set. The only negative I can say about this is there are some digital glitches on the second disc. Not bad but they do occure. Not defect in the disc (as the time counter runs steady) but some flaw from when it was transferred. This is to be expected from a Bootleg.
But I am very happy with this purchase!

Footnote : if you were like me and picked up the single CD ( called "We Prick You") of this tour last month don't worry this ones a hundred times better then that!

Complete Savoy and  Dial Studio Recordings 1944-1948
Complete Savoy and Dial Studio Recordings 1944-1948
Price: CDN$ 109.24
15 used & new from CDN$ 105.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars for Casual Fan's, Five Star For Die Hards, April 24 2016
This collection has it all, literally. This is everything Parker recorded for the Savoy and Dial labels and when I say everything I mean everything! False Starts, takes with someone screwing up and alternate takes they are all here. So this collection is for Bird completists only. I rarely do this but I bought this box set without doing enough research. I am new to Parker and this was on a lot Jazz "must haves" lists so I blindly ordered it. In my case I would have been better of with the master takes box that is also out. With that you get all the completed songs and none of the false starts etc. Don't get me wrong if you are a big fan of an artist these sets are great (l listen to my Stooges Fun House box set a lot) but in my case I am too new to Parker to really appreciate it. Hopefully that will change with time.
The box it's self looks great but it's very cheaply made and if you don't store the discs separately in jewel cases or whatever I could see this box set tearing and the discs being damaged. In other words not overly impressed with packaging. Again, it looks great but should have been made with better materials.

Head Hunters
Head Hunters
Price: CDN$ 56.00
58 used & new from CDN$ 35.10

5.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 SACD review, April 21 2016
This review is from: Head Hunters (Audio CD)
Excellent Jazz Fusion SACD! This is considered by most to be a siminal jazz album. I assume if you are looking to buy this on SACD you already know it's a great record so I will leave the music review at that.
Now to review the SACD. This album sounds great in 5.1 (well it's more a 4.1 as the centre channel is hardly used except for reverb)! The instrument separation is great and the album has a very warm sound. If you like this record and have a 5.1 SACD player I don't see how you could go wrong.

Complete Columbia Studio Albums (6CD)
Complete Columbia Studio Albums (6CD)
Price: CDN$ 42.77
46 used & new from CDN$ 36.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Quartet Studio Output On Colombia (Box Set), April 19 2016
Excellent collection of Monk's work while at columbia records. First off this is not all the studio records he did while on the label it only covers quartets out put. It does not contain Monk's solo work but there is a two CD set that covers that (not included here). It also doesn't cover the big band records he did at the end of his time on the label.
This set does contain some legendary records including my favourite "Straight No Chaser" and it is the full expanded version. The sound is excellent they have been very well mastered.
At this price ($45) it's a great place to start