summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools
Profile for Stephen Bieth > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bieth
Top Reviewer Ranking: 35

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rust Never Sleeps (Blu-Ray)
Rust Never Sleeps (Blu-Ray)
DVD ~ Neil Young
Price: CDN$ 19.98
13 used & new from CDN$ 19.98

4.0 out of 5 stars BLU RAY IS REGION FREE!, June 30 2016
This is my all time favourite concert film so I was pumped to see the Blu Ray coming out. According to Amazon's listing it as region 2 which it is not. I contacted Neil Young's website and they informed me they are region free. So I bought mine at a local record store and sure enough it is REGION FREE.
The film it's self is Neil at his best! The set list contains some of Neil's best "Like A Hurrican", "powder Finger", "Comes a Time", actually the whole show is kind of a Neil Young greatest hits.
The Blu Ray defiantly has better audio (192/24 DTS HD 5.1 and 192/24 PCM stereo) then the last release and the picture is from a new transfer of the original film but it was shot on 16mm film so it is grainy and the improved video of Blu Ray does make it more noticeable. That is the reason I took one star off.
If you are a Neil Young fan, or just a fan of classic rock, this is for you!

A Moon Shaped Pool
A Moon Shaped Pool
Price: CDN$ 13.97
26 used & new from CDN$ 13.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent New CD From Radiohead!, June 24 2016
This review is from: A Moon Shaped Pool (Audio CD)
This is excellent new release! Once again Radiohead pushes their boundaries to come up with a new sound that still sounds like Radiohead. It does not have the singles that OK computer and the Bends had I would say it's closer to Kid A as far as sound go. They have used strings on this album but it still has it's edge. This is an excellent late night trippy CD that would be great to help you unwind after a night out.
I don't see this being the huge hit record OK computer was but if you like your music a little more challenging this should be for. Even tho Radiohead hate the label this is modern day Progressive rock!

Chicago Quadio Box (9 Disc Blu-Ray Audio)
Chicago Quadio Box (9 Disc Blu-Ray Audio)
Price: CDN$ 155.55
11 used & new from CDN$ 120.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 9 Blu Ray Audio Only Release, June 21 2016
First off the music here is top notch and the mastering is excellent but it does have its draw backs. These quad mixes were made for the long time discontinued quad stereo's and 8 tracks that never took off. This quad mixes are good but were designed for different formate. The sound is nice and full and nice placements of speakers. I will not get into the music since if you are cosidering this set you must know it to folk over $155 and you will you monies worth but beware there are so magor drawbacks. The main one is using a analog source that has sat around for the at lease 35 years so it's limited in dianamics.
My biggest complaint is the quad mixes. As mention these were originally 4 track master from 35 years ago. Suprisinglty they are in good shape. But I do not care for the quad mixes to much. I think this was the cheapest way off putting this out. A 5.1 track would give much better sound but that would mean remastering all the albums again. All the quad sound good but there is not an isolated bass track which means you are getting bass form your speakers (when using sub it's transferred).
I really love this box set, issue aside. And when you think about it Chicago music it was totally made for 5.1's down the road let's hope they get out
Not slagging this products I was just hoping for more. But if you love Chicago and have surround you should take the chance to pick it up. The music I s top notch but they could have giving us a bass track!
Still very glad i picked the set

Ultimate Collection
Ultimate Collection
Price: CDN$ 57.71
6 used & new from CDN$ 38.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection, Horrible Audio! SACD VERSION IN NOT GOOD, June 21 2016
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I was so pumped when I saw this was coming out. I had picked up the Roxy SACD's and was not impressed with the sound at all. So I was hoping that this would be an improvement, I was wrong the quality of the audio changes from track to track. Some sound thin, others nice and full so it's defiantly a mastering issue. I know these compilation are taken from many different sources (different albums) and Roxy's production improved over the years but they could have done better with this. Some songs like Dance Away sound really good where others like Tokyo Joe have boarded line distortion and then there are some that just completely thin out.
This is a good collection of songs (not all of them his best) but I can't get over the sound. I don't think I will buy anymore of these Hong Kong releases again. I read a review somebody wrote for the SACD of Santana's greatest hits he had the exact problem with track quality changing song to song.
Seriously avoid this like the plague, it's a train wreak. If you look at my other reviews you will see overwhelmingly that I like the SACD format but there is too much to forgive here. Biggest was of $60 ever!
It's getting to the point now where ther only certain labels I buy from MoFi but out nice warm sounding SACD's and APO (Analog Productions) who put out excellent SACD 's be it most of it jazz. But you do get the odd rock release. The more I get into SACD I am starting to realize it's not the best format for all types of music. classical , a Jazz, Folk and more open acoustic records . They all sound great. But the more rock music I pick the less I like the way the sound (just personal opinion. I am only one person and this based on opinion not any facts. Like what you like) were some groups like genesis the SACD 5.1 sound brilliant (they do have a little too much compression on them but sound good).
Like I said I am stop buying most rock (still buying the the new Santana's (Abraxas and 3)thou) in this formate and focus more on Jazz. Still love my Rock music but maybe it time for a change. But keep the SACD's coming because most are great.

Pet Sounds - 50th Anniversary (Collector's Edition) [4CD + Blu-ray Audio]
Pet Sounds - 50th Anniversary (Collector's Edition) [4CD + Blu-ray Audio]
Price: CDN$ 90.23
13 used & new from CDN$ 81.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Beach Boy Record Gets Another Box Set, June 13 2016
50 years after its release this album is still great! Not a bad track on the whole album which says a lot since I am not really a Beach Boys fan. I was first made aware of this record via Paul MacCartney who said it was the inspiration behind Sgt. Pepper's... (It was 1987 which was the 20th Anniversary of Sgt. pepper's). Since then I have owned a few versions of this classic including the 5.1 (actually 4.0 since the genius that mixed it did not use the center channel or sub woofer track) from its 40th Anniversary . The first 5.1 was good but not great. I was not a fan of that mix. So here we are ten years later and a new 5.1 mix. This time they used the sub channel but still did not make use of the center channel, again! But it is a nicer mix.
There are some audio issues, not defects but limitations of the day. For example this was recorded on 4 and 8 tracks machines when making the record so they had to double up on the tracks ( record more then one instrument per track) and why this is an issues is do to the fact that it causes audio drop out on certain tracks. Best example is the bass (The best thing about 5.1 is it physically separated instruments by having them come out of separate speakers). What happens when you double up is the bass will sound nice and full coming out of your sub then when other instruments kick in the bass thins out. That is because the tape it's recorded on is trying to accommodate everything that's going so it has to compromise. Find neutral ground for everything it's trying to reproduce. That happens a lot on these recordings. It can also sound thin at times because of what equipment they used at the time of recording plus this was originally a mono album (first proper stereo mix did not come out until the 80's) so everything was coming out of the one speaker (usually two speakers with the same thing coming out of both) so again a greater compromise).i don't want to make the recording sound bad, it doesn't. But it is 50 years old and recording technology is much better now a days.
The rest of the package is great, 4 CD's of out takes alternate tracks and different mixes (mono, stereo, instrumental you name it it's here) the CD's are not overly compressed which is nice now a days. It comes in a hard cover book case with good liner notes and excellent art work.
This is a very nice box set and I could not be happier with the product I am only taking the one star off due to, again, limitations of the sound quality of the time.

The Complete Columbia Album Collection
The Complete Columbia Album Collection
Price: CDN$ 179.99
28 used & new from CDN$ 98.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Hancock Box Set, A Dream For Fans!, June 8 2016
Excellent box set! Besides his work with Miles Davis and his hit single in the '80's "Rocket" I had heard very little if any of his solo work. I picked up the 5.1 of his "Headhunters" album a few months ago and loved it. Then I picked up the Quad mix SACD of "Thrust" and loved it! So I was ready to check out more of his work when I came across this box set. I paid $109 for it from an Amazon.ca seller (works out to about $3 per disc) and have listen to very little else since picking this up. Not every records great but most are and the mastering is excellent. You also get 8 albums that are being released in North America for the first time (only available in Japan up until now). With 32 discs there is a lot to listen to but it's quit the journey. From Jazz and Funk to piano jazz it's all here.
I know this is a sizeable collection but if you like his work it's a great deal!

The Nat King Cole Story. Nat King Cole (SACD)
The Nat King Cole Story. Nat King Cole (SACD)
Offered by inandout_canada
Price: CDN$ 123.49
2 used & new from CDN$ 123.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic (SACD 3.0 version), June 3 2016
Wow! And I say again Wow! What an excellent collection. I only knew a couple of songs before picking this up but I am glad I took the risk. I know this is a best of... but it's making me want to get more of his work. What a voice defiantly up there with Sinatra.
The SACD has a 3.0 mix on it that is one of the best sounding mixes I have heard on SACD so far (yea you read that right 3.0 mix. Comes out of your center speaker and your left and right fronts). I will use my usual disclaimer that this was recorded 50 + years ago so don't think it's going to sound like a Peter Gabreil album. But I have heard modern recordings that are no where near this quality!
So if you love great music and don't mind a SACD of love songs you should check this out while it's still around!

Janis: Little Girl Blue - Special Director's Ed [Blu-ray] [Import]
Janis: Little Girl Blue - Special Director's Ed [Blu-ray] [Import]
Price: CDN$ 38.67
12 used & new from CDN$ 32.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Film On The Late Janis Joplin!, May 25 2016
Very good documentary on Janis Joplin. I was hoping for more but it's still good. Pretty well all the footage has been seen before and the letters from Janis were already published n her sisters book. That being said if you are checking Janis out for the first time this is an excellent place to start. If you are a bid fan I would still think you'd enjoy it but there will be no revelations.
The film it's self looks great they really fixed up the prints but most of it comes from the Festival Express film.
Very glad I added this to my collection!

Riverside & Milestone Albums 1956-63
Riverside & Milestone Albums 1956-63
Price: CDN$ 142.06
19 used & new from CDN$ 74.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bill Evans 15 CD Collection!, May 25 2016
This is a great box set and it covers one of the creative peeks in Bill Evan's career. The box set is actually four CD jewel packs with three to four albums in each. These are the full albums it's not like most sets that cover someone's career on a label where the tracks are in the running order according to session. There are booklets in the CD cases but only cover album titles, track listings and production credits. This all comes in a cardboard sleeve to fit them in. The sound is excellent! But there is nothing extra music wise in the box set so it's really designed for people who want all his records and this being the cheapest way of getting them. However at the current price on Amazon you might want to see how much the 15 albums are before buying this. I picked mine up off a seller and it was only $59.98 and arrived within 10 days.
Maybe the not the best place to start if you are just checking him out but if you are a fan I think you would like it!

Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO 7/8/78 (3CD)
Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO 7/8/78 (3CD)
Price: CDN$ 34.55
27 used & new from CDN$ 20.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Worthy Addition To The Ton Of Grateful Dead Live Releases! (CD Version), May 16 2016
This set is from the end of my fav. period from the Dead (with Donna Jean and Keith) and it's a good show. The Dead are playing great and it has an excellent set list. Worthy addition to the tons of Grateful Dead live discs to date.
The reason it's only getting four stars is there is noticeable distortion on Jerry's guitar and some of the vocals. It does not destroy the listening experience but if you like crystal clear live album the Dead have lots of those (Start with From The Vault. Which was actually the first Dead archive release. Current version is remastered). But if you are a fan and have their live CD's this would be a great addition to anyone's Dead collection. I just hope they keep coming. There is a web site deluxe version of this with the complete run but, as usual, it's pricey!
I use to grab the deluxe versions of the live series releases but I found that I have amassed such a collection of live Dead CD's over the years that I just don't listen to all of them enough to justify the purchase. So if you are like me you would be better off sticking with this release.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20