Profile for Philippe M Newman > Reviews

Content by Philippe M Newman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Philippe M Newman (San Rafael, CA United States)

Alien Gift Set
Alien Gift Set
DVD ~ Sigourney Weaver
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 112.25
16 used & new from CDN$ 12.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Foundation of steel, tower of sticks, Nov. 16 2002
This review is from: Alien Gift Set (DVD)
I've been a slobbering Alien fanatic since age six, and Aliens made its theatrical debut. Mmm, I can still recall the thrill of every slapped ammunition clip, every morbid hiss and the wicked cacaphony of machine gun fire.
Anyway, personally, I bought this because - well duh - its the Alien series. The pros are that I have my prized DVD collection in a nice little box. The cons are that it came packaged with a lump of [poo] called Alien: Resurrection. Personally, I've always looked down on people for their dim view on Alien 3. It made a perfect circle, I thought, to the series. Everything was fairly nicely wrapped up in an intriguing and fittingly depressing conclusion. The fourth film, however, was such a pathetic attempt I wish it hadn't been made. The impressive cast aside (although it certainly wasn't Ron Perlman's pinnacle as an actor. "So, like, what'd you do?") there were very few saving graces, and Buffy's Joss Whedon needs to check his head if he even thinks for a second that he's ever going to be Aliens material. He needs to stick where he belongs: television.
Anyway, given that this is only the price of 3 DVDs, you're basically getting the fourth one for free, so I strongly suggest it, just as I strongly suggest burning the fourth installment and sending it to Joss Whedon with a picture of his dog being sodomized by a kimodo dragon.

Tales Of The Otori 01 Across The Nightingale Floor
Tales Of The Otori 01 Across The Nightingale Floor
by Lian Hearn
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A hazy glimpse into a pseudo-Japan, Nov. 13 2002
I was anxiously awaiting the release of this book for several months, being quite the enthusiast for feudal Japan. However, my expectations of an intense enmity between shrewd warlords soared far above the actual text. The story plods along at a decent pace, and the insight into Japanese culture and mythology (at least what little the author actually delved into) is fairly accurate, but the character development is plainly dull and the only reason I continued reading was to reach the epic climax of revenge, which itself didn't really live up to its own pretense.
If you're looking for some hardcore samurai action interspersed with bits of philisophy and battle hardened wisdom, I suggest picking up Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka.

Spriggan (Widescreen)
Spriggan (Widescreen)
DVD ~ J.D. Hawkins
8 used & new from CDN$ 7.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressive from a distance, fails to deliver, Sept. 1 2002
This review is from: Spriggan (Widescreen) (DVD)
The artwork in Spriggan is clearly impressive off the back of the box. The plot is fairly well organized and intended. However, during the actual course of the script, I think many essential details were omitted (perhaps due to time restrictions - I can only hypothesize, having not read the manga). It's over simplified and very rough in some ways. However, the action is very impressive and the artwork is beautiful. A recomended view.