Profile for Roger > Reviews

Content by Roger

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Roger (Castles)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Live Killers
Live Killers
Price: CDN$ 15.54
25 used & new from CDN$ 11.39

3.0 out of 5 stars This is what I think, March 5 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Live Killers (Audio CD)
Queen Killers is a good live album by Queen, specially because it's the only official Live album where you can get Live Versions of the 70's material.
Now, I love Queen. They recorded awesome music in the 70s. Amazing vocals. This album is the conclusion of the first episode. From here on, Queen will get a new look and style.
Anyways, the problem with Queen's live albums is that Freddie Mercury is NOT a good LIVE singer. He's a great showman, but his voice performing LIVE is NOT that good.
Check it out on the song "SPREAD YOUR WINGS" specially. The studio version and this. I'm not saying it should be sang just the same, because that's the nice thing about a live version, get a different performance of the song, but Freddie is always throwing the high notes, DOWN. So at points when Spread Your Wings should "TAKE OFF" with its beautiful melody, it lands abruptally, because Mercusy won't reach for the notes.
This example happens often, I would say half of the album. That's why I'm giving it just 3 stars. The band sounds great though, and Roger Taylor often sings the high notes Freddie can't reach, example: We are the Champions.
Maybe I'm asking too much, but I'm used to listen to bands like The Who, where Roger Daltrey's vocals are awesome in studio and even better LIVE, same as Deep Purple's singers, and same as Kansas. Kansas' singer Steve Walsh is the best example of a great singer in studio and live. He is always playing around with the songs' melodies when singing live and always getting exciting moments out of it. Singing high or low.
So when you listen to a Live performance by Queen, you already know that when the melodies are high, Freddie will always sing them low.
Now, I don't want to be misunderstood. Long Live Freddie Mercury.

Sticky Fingers
Sticky Fingers
Price: CDN$ 25.95
14 used & new from CDN$ 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars bad, March 5 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Sticky Fingers (Audio CD)
Get anything by THE WHO, they are truly the GREATEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD.

Minstrel in the Gallery
Minstrel in the Gallery
Price: CDN$ 13.95
42 used & new from CDN$ 6.80

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best By Jethro Tull, March 5 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Minstrel in the Gallery (Audio CD)
This album is simply the best by Jethro Tull, and certainly one of the best albums in rock history.
Includes one of their finest tunes, Cold Wind To Valhalla. The masterpiece Baker Street Muse. Delightful tunes like Black Satin Dancer & Requiem. The title track is awesome as well as One White Duck/Nothing is all.
This is ART. Great fussion of Hard Rock and folk medieval english music.
Now, let me tell you how ridiculous are "A MUSIC FAN" from ILLINOIS and "SARAH TAYLOR".
Their reviews are the most idiot thing I have ever read. They think to have a position to analyze the music as if they are in Harvard. Poor the two of you.
Obviously we are in presence of "brainwashed" people who spent their lives at school studying music and therefore they lost the sensivity to "Feel" music.
I'm sure they can quote thousands of theories but they can't change a simple guitar string if it breaks.
I'm sure that if they don't have Sheet Music in front of them, they don't know what to do with an Instrument, and that's the most RETARDED thing can happen to a musician.
A music fan from Illinois makes focus mainly on the lyrics, quoting a line, and then having conclusions that they are bad songs because he cannot understand that line. Well, this is MUSIC. So if the lyrics is such an issue for you to decide if the music is good or not, you got it wrong, probably what you are looking for in life are "BOOKS" not "RECORDS".
I love meaningful and profound lyrics and the lyrics in this album are hermetic, sure, but won't stop me to enjoy such a piece of MUSIC.
So I'm giving 5 stars to the ALBUM because is a MASTERPIECE, and also 5 stars to these two reviewers for the most stupid comments ever ;-)

Who, The - Live Feat. Tommy
Who, The - Live Feat. Tommy
VHS
2 used & new from CDN$ 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars I love The Who, Feb. 23 2004
First of all, I love The Who. They are an awesome band and certainly the greatest Live band ever. For me it has never been The Beatles - Rolling Stones, but The Beatles - The Who.
This video is very enjoyable. I'm a WHOFAN, so I love everything they put out.
This show is clearly divided in two parts: Tommy and Who Classics.
Great moments during the performance of Tommy. Specially SPARKS, which takes your breath away. CHRISTMAS, GO TO THE MIRROR, I'M FREE, WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT are another great moments.
The Guests artists:
- Steve Winwood: The hawker. Very nice performance. He's a great talented musician and singer.
- Phil Collins: Funny moments. He plays the Uncle Ernie perfectly well.
- Elton John: Good to have him since he sang Pinball Wizard in the movie, but he sings here in a lower key and the voice lose power.
- Billy Idol: Cousin Kevin, oh well, where is the gun? Far the worst moment in Tommy, the whole video, and in music history. He is more concerned in shouting and swearing (m*ther f*cker included), which makes no sence at all, than singing the song. A total mistake.
- Patti Labelle: The Acid Queen. Well, she has a great voice, but she seems to be trying to show in 4 minutes her vocal talent more than singing the song, so the melody of Acid Queen is lost. It reminds me of people like Yngwie Malmsteen playing the guitar, 200 notes a second, but no melody. She shines for moments though.
The second part is nice too. Some Who classics live that won't be found anywhere else like I CAN SEE FOR MILES and JOIN TOGETHER and a fantastic live version of YOU BETTER YOU BET.
Again something to say about this part and it's that I don't get why there are some Pete Townshend solo songs. Probably because the back-up band is his band as a solo. I don't want to be misunderstood anyways, because I have Pete Townshend solo videos as well as his solo albums and I treassure them.
At last, I wonder through the video why Pete Townshend during Tommy is playing just the acoustic guitar, being a rhythmic guitarist. He's almost missed except when singing now and then.
Anyways. If you are Not a WhoFan and enjoy good music, you will enjoy this video a lot. As a WhoFan myself, I was just mentioning some points that a WhoFan misses here.
Four stars for me. I took off one star only 'cos of Billy Idol's performance which really makes you want to fast forward the video. Thankgoodness the song lasts 4 minutes more or less.

Rick Wakeman Live
Rick Wakeman Live
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 94.07
5 used & new from CDN$ 43.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice & Intimate Performance, Feb. 20 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Rick Wakeman Live (DVD)
I got this video back in 1994 or so. It was my first time to see Rick Wakeman in action, so far I only had Six Wives of Henry the VIII and that was it.
This video made me want to know his music better and started to collect him, then I became a fan.
This is a very nice and intimate performance by a great band. David Paton on bass is excellent, Tony Fernandez on drums(who has been playing with Rick since 1976) & Ashley Holt on vocals and percussion (who sang in the classic albums Journey and Arthur).
My main point to write this review is because it upsets me some review I read here.
I think Ashley Holt's vocals are gorgeous.
The rendition of Merlin, The Magician is great too. Like I said up there, I didn't know Rick's music so well when I first saw this video, so this was my first listening to the song. Then I bought Arthur and found out it was instrumental there. Well, so what? Let's enjoy both versions. If someone likes the instrumental one watch Rick live in Australia 1975, and if you like the sang version, here you go. In my case, I love both so I enjoy watching both videos ;-)
Now, the idiot BALOONBOB from Japan is so very stupid that I can't believe it. Where the heck does he have his eyes? During the drum solo, it's Rick Wakeman playing the percussion on his keyboards. Can't you see the video Bob????? They show it there very clear :-S So you are very wrong saying that Ashley Holt ruins it with his toys. And the drum solo is not ruined by Rick anyways.
Balloonbob, you are such an idiot going out there talking bullsh*t without knowing what you are talking about. What a person you are.
Anyways, coming back to the video. Yes, there's just one thing dissapointing, and it's the vintage keyboards are not there. I know it's a pain travelling with all of them, but I'm glad that these days he's taking the MINI-MOOG again with him, along with the other Hi-Tech Keyboards.
You will enjoy this video if you like good music, it's not just for Wakeman fans, it's for people with good taste.
5 stars - the performance
5 stars - the quality and cameras angles
5 stars - to balloonbob for stupidicity ;-) see ya

Black And Blue
Black And Blue
Price: CDN$ 25.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 9.94

1.0 out of 5 stars thumb down, Dec 1 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Black And Blue (Audio CD)
I bought this album a long while ago 'cos of the ballad "Fool To Cry". Years after, I discovered it again and I was listening to it, and it just sucks. The songs are very boring.
The Rolling Stones are not a good band at all. The way a song starts, ends. Just listen 30 seconds each song and you heard it all already. The same beat all the time. No changes in the middle either at least. It just gets boring.
Hot Stuff, is the first song, and even being the first track after 2 minutes I was bored with it. The ballads are the only ones I could enjoy a little, they are Memory Motel and Fool To Cry.
The band doesn't sound tight either. It's truly a mystery how these guys made it big :-S

Odessey And Oracle (digipak-16 bonus tracks)
Odessey And Oracle (digipak-16 bonus tracks)
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 18.61
27 used & new from CDN$ 8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You For Recording This Album, Nov. 6 2003
Simply, one of the best albums ever to be released. The Zombies were always a good band but during this period they were at their very best. Just listen to the bonus tracks here included which are outtakes and tracks for a future album that wasn't released. The quality of songwriting and performance is just as good as the original album. "Care Of Cell 44", "A Rose For Emily", "Brief Candles", are some of the best tracks. Some of the bonus tracks highlights are "Going Out Of My Head" (never heard a better version than this one), "I'll Call You Mine", "How We Were Before".
Anyways, I'm just mentioning some songs. You will enjoy the WHOLE ALBUM and Bonus Tracks included.
To finish my review I will just say that this is the kind of albums that while you are listening to, it will make you think that there's no better album than this.
Another important thing to know is: You'll never get bored of it.
Buy It, Enjoy It, Love It ;-)

Allman Brothers Band
Allman Brothers Band
Price: CDN$ 10.79
40 used & new from CDN$ 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Callate La Boca Jaime, Nov. 6 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Allman Brothers Band (Audio CD)
jaimeurrutia, de Chile. Callete la maldita boca infeliz.
Es el mejor album de los Allman Brothers Band.
5 estrellas para jaime por idiotez y sordera ;-)

Price: CDN$ 39.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 28.74

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC KINKS, Nov. 3 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Phobia (Audio CD)
This is a great album. Period. Great songs. Sixteen tracks.
I can't believe DAN LAUBER reviews saying that the songs has no melodies when you can find "3 patterns of melodies" for "EACH SONG" ... so, wash your ears fellah ! That's the HIGHLIGHT of the album: Melodies, and beautiful ones too. The lyrics are great as well. So Dan Lauber you can't say this is the worst album by the Kinks, you got it so wrong. I like though that you recommend "PRESERVATION act 1 & 2" which are my fave albums by the Kinks in the 70s... but anyways, Who is going to thank me in the morning is your wife ;-)

Price: CDN$ 39.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 28.74

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC KINKS, Nov. 3 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Phobia (Audio CD)
This is a great album. Period. Great songs. Sixteen tracks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4