Profile for baxterbutt8873 > Reviews

Content by baxterbutt8873

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"baxterbutt8873" (Scottsdale, AZ USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Cyclist's Bible
Cyclist's Bible
by Al Sagazio
12 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Reference & Guide for All Types of Biking, May 12 2004
This review is from: Cyclist's Bible (Paperback)
This is the best, highly detailed know-how, tell-all book about the bicycle, it's history, it's structure, the different types/styles of bikes, when/how to use them for specific purposes, and everything else you could possibly associate with the bicycle. This book greatly helped me achieve my need to have a deeper and broader knowledge of the bike and its functions and purposes and has also brought about new questions I never would have thought of prior to reading this book. I would highly recommend this bike to the beginner and regular biker because of the precise, detailed, and much needed information throughout the book. I would also recommend this book to anyone interested in bike touring, daily and/or overnight bike trips, mountain biking, racing, and even bike riding throughout the neighborhood once in a while. This book covers all of those topics so comprehensively that any reader, experienced or not, would feel extremely comfortable going out on one of those adventures for the first time.
This book is excellent with meticulous instructions on repairing and maintaining your bicycle and has pictures associated with most of the steps or at least an overview of the area being worked on so to minimize any confusion.
Something I really enjoyed about this book was that the reader was shown and instructed how to find a suitable bike for themselves, depending on what they are specifically going to be doing with the bike (touring, racing, etc.), and based on their body frame and build. I didn't really have any idea how to fit myself for a bike, but now I will be able to do so without hesitation.
The only thing that I disliked about The Cyclist's Bible, was that the author was using many biking terms that I, as most beginners and novices to this sport, wasn't familiar with. They assured the reader that all the terms would be defined later in the book, but I was uncomfortable about reading half of the book without knowing what the authors were referring to half the time. So once I had read the definitions of the terms, I then felt I needed to go back to the parts of the book I didn't understand because of this. Other that than, I would definitely have to say overall, this is an excellent book about biking and all of the bike's parts.

Everything Meditation Book
Everything Meditation Book
by Clark
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars The COMPLETE know-all book about Meditation!, May 12 2004
For those people who have been desperately searching for the perfect and complete tell-all book about meditation that covers every aspect possible, your search ends here. The Everything Meditation Book, by Rosemary Clark, is absolutely self-describing. Everything and anything you could ever want to know about meditating and how it came to be is in this book. I too was searching for a book such as this when I developed an almost sudden urge to learn more about and practice meditation, and after reading this book I would recommend it in a heartbeat to novices and masters alike. I say this because I strongly feel that this book has much to offer, so much that maybe even someone who has been practicing this art for years would learn something new about meditation.
Because this book is so "to the point" in every topic the author covers, it is a bit difficult to give someone a "brief" description of what the book is about, without leaving out many important parts; in fact, this book should be called, "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Meditation." This book covers topics ranging from the very origin of meditation throughout the world, to different and various ancient techniques, to updated and "modern-day" meditation techniques. Everything this book has to offer is extremely valuable because it gives the reader a greater awareness of the art of meditation and helps them appreciate and understand it more, as I now do.
I really enjoyed how the author, Rosemary Clark, a meditation practitioner of over 30 years, a metaphysical writer, and a living history interpreter of several traditions: Egyptian, Polynesian, Native American, and Buddhist, who has authored two books on sacred science, explains and shows the reader many different techniques and approaches to begin meditation based on what the reader feels will benefit them most (the author previously describes which techniques are best for certain lifestyles, attitudes, or environments). Some positions, Burmese Lotus, Half Lotus, and Quarter Lotus, are used when in a sitting posture, but sometimes some individuals are incapable of sitting for certain postures and must stand. Overall, the same benefits are reaped whether sitting or standing.

AS A MAN THINKETH
AS A MAN THINKETH
by JAMES ALLEN
Edition: Pamphlet
Price: CDN$ 3.80
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless Life Values Gained and Lessons Learned, April 28 2004
This review is from: AS A MAN THINKETH (Pamphlet)
This is the type of book that is short and "to the point." Allen basically emphasizes that you come to be and are, based on what and how you think. My first impression of this book after the first chapter was that there were way too many elaborate and confusing words. I felt overwhelmed and just wanted to forget about the book; it wasn't worth looking up all the words I didn't know just to try to possibly comprehend what the author was trying to get across. However, once I did decide to read further, I admit that the book eventually grew on me. I began to see the validity of many of the author's very important and yet basic points. Based on what I learned from this book, I think that this is very educational and "mind-expanding," as the author takes you on an adventure, exploring another incredible skill of the human mind. In addition to this, I think that it would be very beneficial for anyone and everyone to read it, as it gives you a very different perspective afterwards about how one's thoughts are able to create and destroy many aspects of your ever-developing life.
As A Man Thinketh is book that shows and guides - not dictates and demands - someone how to change their way of thinking so that it is positive and fruitful. Allen writes, "Man is buffeted by circumstances so long as he believes himself to be the creature of outside conditions. But when he realizes that he may command the hidden soil and seeds of his being out of which circumstances grow, he then becomes the rightful master of himself." This statement itself could sum up the entire book. However, there are many ways to look at and decipher the meaning of this quote.
As stated in the book, the majority of people today have many negative outlooks about different things for different reasons. That's human. However, what all these people who think negatively don't know, is that by their negative and unconstructive thinking they are inevitably just hurting themselves and unconsciously bringing negative situations upon themselves. What this book repeats over and over again is that for good to come to you, you must have good and positive thoughts. If you breed and harness negative thoughts, chance is, it will be highly unlikely for much good to come your way. As said in this book, the fruits and misfortunes of your thoughts clearly show by the type of person you have come to be, and what you have and don't have.
At first I thought this book as kind of a hoax. I kept thinking, "yeah right, like I'm going to be rich if I think it." But then once I continued reading this book, I realized it was true. Let me give you a smaller and less high profile example than becoming rich: if someone always thinks they are sick and is always fearing the thought of becoming sick, they will usually be sick. It seems that the more you think of something, the more it is prone to being drawn towards you. This book just teaches you how to bring forward the good-not the bad.
After completing this book, I would definitely say it has had a positive influence on me. I am now always conscious of what I am thinking and constantly analyzing many of my thoughts, considering the possible benefits of each one. I would definitely read more of this author's books, as I have no doubt that the lessons I learn from them will positively help me for a long time, as did the many lessons I learned from this book.

Twelfth Angel
Twelfth Angel
by Og Mandino
Price: CDN$ 11.68
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars Not Enough For Such A Life Changing Story As This, Feb. 25 2004
This review is from: Twelfth Angel (Paperback)
The Twelfth Angel, by Og Mandigo, is truly an inspiring and heartfelt story. This story left such an unforgettable impact on me that I know I'm likely to ponder it for years. Everyone should absolutely read this book, especially those in need of inspiration and hope. This book leaves you with tears, with hope you never knew you had, and with the wanting to never give up.
I don't want to give away too much, but this book is about a young, diligent, succesful, loving man who moves back to his small hometown of Boland, NH, with his wife Sally and their young boy Rick. When tradegy strikes, John has to struggle to cope. His life is shattered and he ultimately looks to suicide as an answer. Fortunately, his old friend, Bill helps him out of the gutter, which is where his life now lies, by asking him to help coach the boys little league. Uncertain, John finally accepts.
The day of tryouts John notices a boy who is smaller than any of the other kids, whose baseball hat and clothes look about two sizes too big on him. This little boy isn't very good at baseball, but he kept on trying, the whole time with determination and a big smile on his face. Although some of the older and better kids laughed and smirked at his constant mistakes and misses, this little boy was never put down and never stopped. And to John's surprise, this boy was amazingly the splitting image of his boy Rick! At first John had even thought he could have been Rick. This little boy, Timothy Noble, was by far the worst player of all the kids who tried out, and who had managed, almost as if by destiny, to end up on John's baseball team, receiving a jersey with number twelve on it.
Early on in the baseball season, John noticed that there was something very genuine and original about Timothy. What John and Timothy both don't know, is that their relationship will become very close, as they both need each other more than they can imagine.
I absolutely loved this heartfelt story. I even had tears gushing down my cheeks as I neared the end of the book. I think that this book is truly inspiring and comforting. I loved how caring and concerned John was of Timothy, and I especially loved little Timothy Noble and how happy he was. I was truly touched by this story and will always cherish everything I learned from this book. The lesson I think that Mandigo was in a way trying to get across is that you must be positive and have at least a good-maybe even a great-outlook on life, no matter what comes your way. If you are positive, you have a positive feedback, making your life richer everyday and in many different ways.
I really enjoyed Og Mandigo's writing style, as he was very, very vivid with his descriptions. I definitely plan to read more of his books in the future, and I would recommend this book to anyone who can read!

Pale Phoenix
Pale Phoenix
by Kathryn Reiss
Price: CDN$ 7.15
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Intriguing & Captivating Book!!, Feb. 25 2004
This review is from: Pale Phoenix (Paperback)
This story is so suspenseful, that I was kept on the edge of my seat the entire time! This time-travel book, involves a young, thirteen-year-old girl by the name of Abby Chandler, who mysteriously and magically escapes a horrific fire, in which her family was killed. Abby does not know it, but a small, magical, stone flute carved in the shape of a phoenix, given to her by a Native American woman, Willow, saved Abby from dying in the fire with her family. But the flute did not only save Abby's life, it also threw her ahead in time by at least three hundred years! One second Abby was living in the colonial era, and the next second she was in a field of snow, without any knowledge of the buildings and houses around her.
Eventually Abby crosses paths with a young, fifteen-year-old girl, Mandy Browne, of Massachusetts. Unknown to both girls, but the day these two meet is the day Abby is rescued from her seemingly inevitable fate of living forever.
Mandy discovers there is something about this girl that isn't right. Whenever Mandy hears Abby hysterically crying, she goes to her room, but Abby is not there. What is even more strange, is that Mandy's parents do not hear Abby's wretched crying. In addition, Mandy discovers pictures of Abby's dating back hundreds of years. The strange thing is though, is that in all of the pictures there is a girl who is the splitting image of Abby, with the exception of clothes from each time period.
Twice, Mandy confronts her parents about Abby's crying, and twice Abby somehow returns back to her room, denying all of it, to which Mandy's parents take sides with Abby. Abby now knows that Mandy can unquestionably hear her crying when she has traveled back to her home of ruins. Since no one else has been able to hear her crying when she has been there, she decides to tell Mandy what really happened to her. Shocked and surprisingly moved by Abby's story, Mandy has no idea what to say and she is left speechless. Abby thinks that because Mandy can hear her crying, she will be able to help Abby save her family.
The rest is up to you to figure out what happens to the two girls. I loved this book and I know that anyone who reads it will too!

Island of the Blue Dolphins
Island of the Blue Dolphins
by Scott O'Dell
194 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Captivating, Endearing, and Emotional, Jan. 12 2004
Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell is definitely a book that won't lose your attention and will be a challenge to put down. It is a partially fictionalized, partially non-fictionalized book about a young, twelve-year-old girl who, through a domino effect of life-changing events, is left stranded on an island, separated from her family and loved ones. This Native American girl, Karana, is so strongly determined to live that she spends the next eighteen years of her life on that very island, everyday hoping a ship will come to her rescue and reunite her with her family.
The island Karana and her family all once lived on together, resembled a dolphin, only known to the few people and numerous animals that inhabited it. The people on this island called it "Island of the Blue Dolphins" because of the beautiful and stunning Blue Dolphins that were just as plentiful as the waters surrounding the island. And just as the dolphins were at peace and harmony with each other and the water, so were the Native Americans inhabiting the island at peace and harmony with each other and the land they lived on. But as time inevitably passes and changes, it too changed the "dream-like life" these Native Americans were living. The peacefulness these people experienced was taken from them the moment a red-flagged ship, belonging to the Aleuts, was spotted off shore, heading towards the Island of the Blue Dolphins. That moment, an irreversible and unavoidable fate, unbeknownst to the tribe, was bestowed upon them. Unfortunately, the only means of escaping this fate was to flee either by boat or by death.
The day the Aleuts - the white men - arrived, they only came to hunt otters, but something went terribly wrong. A small battle broke out between the Aleuts and the natives, leaving more than 75% of the Indian men were left dead, the chief being one of them, as the Aleuts sailed away with the otter skins. There was not one person of the tribe who did not lose a husband, brother, father, or son.
Sometime later, a ship returns with white men on it, and bring these natives to another land. However, through a turn of events, Karana and Ramo are the only ones left on the island - l their family and relatives gone. Their first instinct was to collect food and build a shelter from the wild dogs that inhabit the island. Unfortunately, tragedy strikes after only three days on the island - Karana awoke that morning to find Ramo gone. Throughout the eighteen years Karana spends on the island, she learns how to build her own "house" and becomes friends with and observes many of the animals on the island.
I really enjoyed O'Dell's writing because this book is based on a true story, and O'Dell had to fictionalize most parts and make it sound believable, which he carried out remarkably. The true parts of this story are that there really was a girl stranded on an island, left behind to voluntarily stay with her brother who did not make it to the ship on time. He did die at the teeth of the wild dogs and she was left to forage for herself for eighteen years. She was "rescued," you could say, by two white men who came upon the island by ship. She willingly returned with the white men back to the white men's land, but when she tried to explain her story, no one could understand her language. Not even any of the natives around could understand her dialect, leaving her story to be much of a blank. She was never reunited with her family because she did not know what island the ship traveled to.

Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money-That the Poor and the Middle Class Do Not!
by Robert T. Kiyosaki
167 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars SO Simple & SO Easy To Understand!, Jan. 8 2004
Rich Dad Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki, is such a simple and easy to understand book that even I, a fifteen-year-old novice to the money-making world of assets, investments, and real estate - who has never read a book about such things in her life - completely understood everything in this book. Kiyosaki lays everything out in front of you and explains all of it, basically, in "kid terms." I say "kid terms" because anyone could have understood it. He took a situation that often can be very complex, confusing, and frustrating to learn and understand, and made it fun, simple, and easy to comprehend - exactly what everyone is looking for when they want to learn something new, especially if that something will help generate extra income.
What I learned from Kiyosaki was how to be successful with the money you are already making and what to invest it in so that you have even more money coming in - money that you are not even working for!
Now I know the difference between an asset and a liability and even what they are! I know Robert Kiyosaki has many more books and I intend to read them sooner than later. I would recommend this book to anyone who is uncertain about what a balance sheet is and/or how it works. I would also recommend it to anyone who wants to be more knowledgeable about how money works and how to make more of it without actually having to work harder. Rich Dad Poor Dad is a great book for money-making beginners and for anyone who wants a simple, straightforward book about making money.
In addition to reading this book, I have also played the board game Kiyosaki created called, Cashflow. This game helped me to further understand his book and the concepts he explained. Without the experience I have of playing this game, I would not be as knowledgeable as to how to use a balance sheet and understand how everything on it is categorized.

Dancing In My Nuddypants  C
Dancing In My Nuddypants C
41 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fourth Book and Still Laughing!!, Jan. 8 2004
Fourteen-year-old Georgia lives in London. She attends an all-girls school, but doesn't take it very seriously, as she is always finding some way to mock her teachers. She has four best friends that attend the same school she does: Jas, Jools, Ellen, and Rosie. Unfortunately for Georgia, her parents are a bit on the loony side. Her mother has boobs the size of watermelons and is a stay-at-home mother, although she doesn't do: doesn't clean dishes, doesn't cook meals, doesn't care for the house. The only thing she does do is take care of Georgia's little sister, Libby. Libby is, in simplest words, a child gone wrong. She pees in any corner she wants to of Georgia's room, she hides her dirty diapers in Georgia's bed, she has food such as potatoes and beans as dolls, and she has the speech patterns and impediments of a one-year-old. As for Georgia's father, he is a business man who is very strict, uptight, and "in his own world." Georgia's cat Angus is a half Scottish, half domestic cat that is the size of a small Labrador, only insane. Every night and day he teases and taunts the next-door neighbor's two miniature poodles. He has a mysterious "lair" at the back of Georgia's closet, where he strategizes his next attack. He also has a love affair with the neighbors across the street's prize Burmese cat Naomi. They both love each other, Georgia says, but her dad and the neighbors can't stand Angus and want to get him fixed, as in the last book. He proudly still has his "trouser snake addendums"!
Georgia is still faced with her dilemma from the last book, choosing between the sex god and Dave the Laugh. The sex god, Georgia's boyfriend for a good time now, is at least four years older than her, is the lead singer in his rock band, who have a good chance of getting a contract, has great snogging skills, is absolutely gorgeous and fit, makes Georgia go "jelliod" and unable to form comprehendible sentences while with him, and is a SEX GOD, was Georgia's first choice over Dave. However, Dave is just as fit and almost as good-looking as the sex god is. But Dave has twice the humor the sex god has, if the sex god has any at all. Georgia feels like she doesn't have to worry about what she says or does around Dave because she doesn't have to worry about impressing him, like she does the sex god.
For now, Georgia has chosen the sex god, thinking she can just forget about Dave the Laugh...but she is completely wrong!
I loved this book just as much as I loved the previous three - I didn't dare put it down for fear of not knowing what happened next. I really enjoyed the British words Rennison used in the context of the book; there was a glossary at the end to define the British terms the reader didn't understand - even the definitions were hilarious!

On The Bright Side I'm Now The Girlfriend Of A Sex God: Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson
Price: CDN$ 9.92
105 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I LAUGHED SO HARD MY SIDES HURT!!!!, Dec 22 2003
It is now official! This series of Georgia Nicolson's confessions by Louise Rennison, are by far the best comedy books I have ever read! I absolutely loved the second book, On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God; it was just as good, maybe better than the first book, and I could NOT stand to put it down!
Georgia Nicolson is a fourteen-year-old British girl who lives in England. She attends an all-girls school and has four best friends: Jas, Jools, Ellen, and Rosie, who go to the same school as Georgia. Georgia has a little sister, Libby and a cat, Angus. Fortunately for the readers, Georgia's little three-year-old sister Libby, is still unknowingly "torturing" Georgia with her regular routine of secretly hiding the dirty nappies at the foot of Georgia's bed, peeing in corners of Georgia's room, and bringing all of her dolls, lifeless creatures made of food, as well as herself to sleep in Georgia's bed. What a life! Georgia's psychotic half-Scottish, half-domestic beast of a cat, Angus, continues his proud parade of teasing and taunting the next-door neighbor's two poodles and occasionally digs holes in their yard too. He still continues to think he is a dog - he might as well be, as he already is the size of a small Labrador.
This book starts exactly where the first book left off - Georgia's great-bosomed mother telling Georgia the worst thing she could possibly hear after working so hard to become the girlfriend of a sex god: she and the family are moving to New Zealand as soon as possible, where Georgia's father is currently working.
After an incident the family does not have to leave for New Zealand; however, Georgia manages to land herself into a great deal of trouble because of some small, childish prank: suspension. What perfect timing too - right before her father returns home from New Zealand. Great. It's quite comical how Georgia's mother tells Georgia to fake sick for the first couple of days her father is home, and then to make a great and unexplainable recovery.
Later in the book, something awful happens to Georgia and to undo what happened to her, she must use her former boyfriend, Dave the Laugh, as a "red-herring." Her plan doesn't go as accordingly, though. What happens is she becomes attracted to Dave again and has to constantly remind herself that she is not doing this to get Dave, but to get someone else. Even though she always reminds herself of this, she and Dave end up snogging and she isn't one bit regretful!
One thing that I really enjoyed and thought was wicked funny in this book was that Georgia was constantly asking God for help and to fulfill her wishes (a.k.a. make the sex god go out with her again). When the man upstairs doesn't "grant" her anything she asked for, she resorts to asking Buddha for help, and considers becoming a monk so that maybe her wishes will be more likely to be granted.
I can't say one thing I didn't like about this book - it was great all around!!

Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas: Further, Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson
Price: CDN$ 9.49
107 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars DID YOU KNOW? Nunga Nungas means....well....BOOBIES!, Dec 8 2003
This book was absolutely hysterical that my sides ached from laughing. Fourteen-year-old Georgia still lives in England, and still obsesses and worries over her hairy orangutan eyebrows and uncontrollable bosoms. Georgia has succeeded in reuniting herself with her ex-boyfriend, the sex god. Obviously, she is now overjoyed and thrilled to death. Her little three-year-old sister, Libby, still continues her normal, day-to-day routine of peeing in hidden corners of Georgia's room, hiding her dirty nappies at the bottom of Georgia's bed, and playing dress-up with their beastly cat Angus. How Libby plays dress up and puts "lippy" on Angus and not get torn to shreds, Georgia has no idea. If Georgia were even to attempt such a life-threatening act, she would be lucky to get away with her life and even luckier to still be in one piece. Georgia's unique cat, Angus is like no other cat - he teases and torments the next door neighbor's two miniature poodles for fun, and spends countless hours lounging in his dark "lair" at the back of Georgia's closet, plotting his next move.
In the beginning of this book, Georgia thinks she might be on her way to having an almost normal life with almost normal parents, until her father announces that the family would be going on a vacation together to Scotland! Yeah, her parents are suddenly all lovey-dovey with each other, but that is no reason or excuse to put the rest of the family - ok, Georgia - through the excruciating pain and torment of being trapped with them in a secluded area with nothing to do but be depressed!
Meanwhile, Georgia is faced with bigger problems than dealing with torturous family vacations. She is confronted with her feelings for her former boyfriend, Dave the Laugh. Georgia is struggling with her strong feelings for the sex god and with her returning, flaming feelings for Dave. She thinks she wants to be with the sex god because, well, he is a SEX GOD and he has great snogging skills, plus she will be able to travel around the world with him and his band when he gets a contract. On the other hand, Dave the Laugh is just as fit and good-looking and has great snogging skills. She can be funny around him and not worry about whether she sounds stupid or not because Dave doesn't make her go "jelliod" and unable to speak and form comprehendible sentences, like the sex god does.
As for Angus, he has a new affair in his life, and it's with the new neighbors across the street's prize Burmese cat, Naomi. According to Georgia, she is the "sex kitten" Angus has always longed for. But Georgia's father wants Angus's "trouser snake addendums" (testicles) removed so not to get Naomi pregnant. But as serious as the adults may think the situation is between these two cats, Georgia finds it quite hilarious. And to express her feelings of anger towards her father about him wanting Angus neutered, she starts calling her father a cat molester! Great choice of words, huh?!
There is nothing to complain about in this book because I loved it all around. I never lost interest and therefore, I had a hard time putting the book down. I had a great time reading this book as well as the previous two books and I'm am sure that everyone else who reads it will too.

Page: 1 | 2