Profile for Mike > Reviews

Content by Mike

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mike (Boston, MA)

The Hungry Gene: The Science of Fat and the Future of Thin
The Hungry Gene: The Science of Fat and the Future of Thin
by Ellen Shell
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Sept. 25 2002
I rarely read non-fiction, let alone science books, but I ordered this one because I've been wondering about the obesity epidemic for some time--it seems that every other person has a serious weight problem these days, and I wondered why. I was drawn into The Hungry Gene from the first chapter--and literally could not put it down. It's fascinating--the chapters on obesity surgery and fat in Kosrae, Micronesia blew me away--they were so well written, more like a novel than like non-ficiton. But the book is also frightening--especially the chapters on the drug industry and food marketing to kids. I couldn't believe the tactics food makers use to draw children into eating stuff they probably shouldn't, and I also couldn't believe how they use kids as salesman, to get their parents to do their will. The book explains the science behind the obesity epidemic in a way that anyone can understand, and it crushes the myth that people are fat because they lack will power or have some sort of character disorder. It's the first book I've read that really puts weight into perspective--explains the big picture, and offers some realistic solutions that don't involve buying some new product or diet drug, or going on some hokey diet. As someone who has fought a losing battle with weight all his life, I can tell you this really opened my eyes. HIGHLY recommended.