Profile for Stella Carrier > Reviews

Content by Stella Carrier
Top Reviewer Ranking: 125

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stella Carrier "luckywoman2078"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Romeo Must Die (Sous-titres franais) (Bilingual)
Romeo Must Die (Sous-titres franais) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Kelly Hu
Price: CDN$ 7.49
5 used & new from CDN$ 1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Romeo and Juliet Twist?, June 19 2015
I actually remember first watching Romeo Must Die back in 2000 when I was 19 years old and only a few months away from joining the United States Navy. Romeo Must Die centers around the story of Han Sing (Jet Li) who comes to America from China for certain reasons. He is also trying to come to terms with what has happened to his deceased brother and ends up connecting with Trish O’Day (Aaliyah). However, one of the main problems with this is that Trish O’Day and Han Sing come from families that do not get along with each other and are involved in a bloody feud so to speak.

The Essential Guide to Possession, Depossession, and Divine Relationships
The Essential Guide to Possession, Depossession, and Divine Relationships
by Diana Paxson
Price: CDN$ 18.50
34 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Channeling And/Or Spiritually Wearing Divine Personas, June 18 2015
I admit that this book The Essential Guide To Posession, Depossession & Divine Relationships by Diana L. Paxson (author of Trance-Portation) is not like anything I have remembered seeing before. This is because this book actually unexpectedly came into my awareness (through amazon) less than six to seven months after I first wondered (via a daydream) if there was information out there related to what I’ve eventually seen written in this book. Nonetheless, I’m fortunate to admit that I pre-ordered this book before it was even released. The following are some of the novel details in The Essential Guide To Possession, Depossession, & Divine Relationships by Diana L. Paxson;
Relationships models when connecting to divine beings such as friend to friend, employee to employer, soldier to commander etc. (starts on page 81)
Page 103-Being careful and/or aware of the implication that connecting with beings in the spirit world would be the easy part, it is the making sure that one uses their intuition to separate the well intentioned spirits with those who are testing someone to see how far they could go (just as a person would do this with discerning the motives of other people living before taking their advice). I like that the author uses an example of a test to make sure that the spirit is benevolent (present for a person’s highest good).
Pages 76-77-identifying the spiritual powers that a person feels compelled to work with and the role of writing down this down in a notebook, including other details discussed in the book.
Pages 117-124- the realities of the preparation and/or initiation that may be necessary before making a connecting to certain divine beings/deities are listed, including what to keep in mind when cultivating such spiritual connections. Additionally, the author mentions obvious and less apparent realities that must be considered if one goes about this route if one has children, is married, and/or is unmarried but has a long term partner etc.
Coverage of the “issues” that can arise and the author shares some examples on how these were handled (i.e. uninvited guests, guests who don’t leave, and ways to tell if the experience is real, starts on page 238).

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn by Microsoft Films
Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn by Microsoft Films
DVD ~ Stewart Hendler
Offered by JnP Store Canada
Price: CDN$ 28.79
2 used & new from CDN$ 7.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Darkness Before Dawn Movie Message?, June 18 2015
I decided to watch Halo 4 : Forward Unto Dawn as a way to bond with my husband for his birthday and understand his inner world more. The pros to this movie; Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn introduces one of the key characters of the film (Masterchief) that explains the film’s backstory. The film also plays with the idea of what can happen in the future if all military branches joined forces. The cons; The plot at least gave a backstory as to why the recruits at the training academy cared greatly about becoming the top in their jobs. However, the plot did not demonstrate enough on how they were truly going to be ready for what happened. For instance, the responsibility to train the United Bations Space Command candidates (USNC) seemed to fall too much on one person. I have been fortunate to be exposed to multiple work environments where I noticed that there were multiple managers that delegated the objectives of the work assignments. However, in the film the recruits are being trained to basically help save the world and yet the one person tasked to train them seems to not receive much leadership help to ensure a successful outcome (adding more leaders for the training would have strengthened the plot). The film jumps straight to the recruits being exposed to be expected to excel at the academy with not enough plot sequences to show them undergoing training. However, for me at least, watching the film was not a complete waste of time because it enabled me to have some bonding time with my husband on his birthday and understand one of the games that he enjoys. However, I would recommend Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn more for those who enjoy the Halo game series (such as my husband).

The Writers Afterlife
The Writers Afterlife
by Richard Vetere
Price: CDN$ 22.95
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Writer’s Dream In The Higher Planes of Spiritual Light, June 11 2015
This review is from: The Writers Afterlife (Paperback)
I must preface my review that my interest in media relating to heaven and the afterlife is independent of the fact that I would prefer to live to be at least between 85-110 years old this lifetime and I’m blessed/grateful for my great physical health. At this point in my life, I must avoid explaining why my interest in heaven/afterlife related media (across multiple belief systems) is increasing by the day because I intuitively/logically sense that my reasons may unintentionally get misunderstood at my current level of communication skills. However, I admit that my curiosity into what makes a strong afterlife themed fiction book is what indirectly influenced me to take a chance on The Writer’s Afterlife by Richard Vetere. The Writer’s Afterlife is one of those books that compare to watching a phenomenal supernatural themed film for some of the following reasons;
Pg. 128- The main character of Tom Chillo;s spirit is incarnated into the body of handsome and charismatic Max Foreman. There is a scene where he manages to contact a highly regarded/popular book critic/reviewer to take a look at and review his work. More happens, yet one must look inside the book to truly understand why this is one of the events pivotal to the story.
Pages 182 and 183 as well as pages 186 and 187- These pages question ideas such as how some authors may get published when their work would otherwise have to go through self-publishing and/or other channels (i.e. plays with the controversial idea on how many and/or how often some authors had to pursue romantic affairs and/or special friendships with people connected in some way to the publishing industry). These pages also touch on the notion that sometimes your rival in life can sometimes eventually be your biggest advocate/ally.

Pages 196-197-The main character of the story implies why falling in love has been tricky business for him. It also plays on the idea that people are often different than the way they appear on the physical surface (i.e. physical appearance, mannerisms), basically the implication to avoid judging a book by its cover.

Pages 199-203- Plays with the idea that in order to become famous and/or have a life of recognition and/or financial accomplishment a person has to deal with if they are willing to risk and/or accept being a little fish in a big sea (i.e. moving to and/or living in popular U.S. cities such as Los Angeles, New York City, the Washington D.C. area etc.) or choose to live in the U.S. cites that may not be as popular but with the potential to be a big fish in a small pond.

Glengarry Glen Ross - 2 Disc Special Edition
Glengarry Glen Ross - 2 Disc Special Edition
Offered by e-moveo
Price: CDN$ 9.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Adverse Career Tests Call For Extreme Measures?, June 11 2015
I admit that I found out about the Glengary Glen Ross movie from an e-mail newsletter affiliated with Jordan Belfort. The Glengary GlenRoss movie caught my attention due to the message on how the film relates to the area of selling (which is common knowledge that it directly affects a person whether they are looking for a job and/or working to keep their job). Anyhow, this movie deals with the extreme measures that people sometimes take in order to provide for themselves and/or their families. It was also good insight seeing the perspective of some areas that a person is faced with when trying to persuade others to buy real estate. The movie also dealt with a touchy subject of whether any employee is to be completely loyal to their fellow higher ranking coworker at the expense of a customer even when treading illegal territory or tell the truth of a situation as it is. Reluctantly, I’ll admit that seeing some of the scenes elicited some uncomfortable memories for me of when my husband and I were both persuaded to purchase a Westgates timeshare during a 2007 Walt Disney World trip (which, I would gently advise against obtaining a timeshare unless you don’t mind the possibility of not being able to sell back a depreciating timeshare like you could a car). Anyhow, what adds strength to this movie are the key teamplayers of the film; The front of the dvd features the names of Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin, Ed Harris, Alan Larkin, and Kevin Spacey (with pictures of Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Alec Baldwin, and Jack Lemmon featured on the front dvd cover). This two disc set has extra bonuses on each dvd. For instance, disc one is a widescreen edition and has the features of Magic Time; A Tribute To Jack Lemmon. Disc Two is a Full Screen format and has the following special features; ABC-Always Be Closing, J. Roy New and Used Furniture, Bonus Audio Commentary, Clip Archive-The Charlie Rose Show, Clip Archive-Inside The Actors Studio, Cast Biographies, Crew Biographies, and Production Notes.

Shatter Me
Shatter Me
Price: CDN$ 14.99
31 used & new from CDN$ 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Transformation, June 11 2015
This review is from: Shatter Me (Audio CD)
I’m well aware that I’m extremely late to the music community that has most likely listened to Shatter Me by Lindsey Stirling for quite some time (in addition to hearing about some family members who like her music). Anyhow, I’m now curious to hear more music from the electronica-classical genre after getting a chance to listen to Shatter Me by Lindsey Stirling. This is great music for writing, hanging out at your apartment, and/or if you just want to hear melodic music that lifts your spirits. I enjoy the tunes Shatter Me feat. Lizzy Hale (of Halestorm), Beyond The Veil, Take Flight, V-pop, and We Are Giants (feat. Dia Frampton) the most on the Shatter Me collection. However, there are other songs in this collection that are also pleasant to listen to and perfect for eclectic music lovers open to hearing music that combines violins with the fusion of classical and electronic music.

Supperclub Presents : Lounge 3
Supperclub Presents : Lounge 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Music For A Nightclub Feast?, June 11 2015
Supperclub Presents Lounge 3 (a.k.a V.3). This is a various artist collection that combines elements of chill, jazz, and lounge music vibes. There are 13 songs on each of the two cds/ I admit to currently liking cd two a little more. However, there is something for the many music lovers who enjoy chillout, jazz, and/or trip-hop music vibes.

Halcyon Days (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Halcyon Days (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Price: CDN$ 14.99
47 used & new from CDN$ 10.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Flourishing Life Music, June 11 2015
This Halcyon Days 2013 Standard Edition by Ellie Goulding is an amusing music collection with songs containing lots of heart. Stay Awake is one of the songs that I enjoy from this cd, however there are also more satisfying songs on the Halycon Days 2013 Standard Edition including the popular hits Anything Could Happen, I Need Your Love (feat. Calvin Harris), and Burn. This music assortment is good for those who enjoy dance and electronic music fusions.

General Mills, Chocolate Toast Crunch Cereal, 12.7oz Box (Pack of 4) by General Mills [Foods]

1.0 out of 5 stars I Have A Weakness For Chocolate Yet, June 11 2015
This Chocolate Toast Crunch cereal (11.6 ounce) was another purchase that I was curious to get due to my previous enjoyment of some other chocolate flavored cereals that I only have sometimes due to personal reasons (such as Reese’s Pieces cereal, the cookie crisp cereal, Cocoa Pebbles etc.). However, I did not enjoy this cereal like I did the French Toast edition. The amount of chocolate in the cereal and cinnamon seemed to clash too much flavor wise for the wheat squares. From my perspective, the cinnamon overpowered the chocolate too much in this cereal. However, for someone else this could be tastebud heaven.. For me, I would probably stick more with the French Toast Crunch cereal or the Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Serena (Bilingual)
Serena (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Bradley Cooper
Price: CDN$ 26.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 14.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Vilification of Child-free Women, June 10 2015
This review is from: Serena (Bilingual) (DVD)
First off, I enjoy the acting talents of both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence and look forward to watching their upcoming movies. Additionally, I wish them both bright/abundant futures in both their personal and professional lives regardless of who they marry and/or regardless of whether they have children or not. With that said, the feature of both of them (Cooper and Lawrence) in this movie influenced my decision to watch Serena. The pros; Lawrence’s portrayal as a sly Serena Pemberton and Coopers portrayal of an ambitious George Pemberton created some convincing chemistry as a couple. I also liked that they portrayed the Serena character in a strong and commandeering light set in a historical period where it is common knowledge that there where many women who were expected to professionally fade in the background of their husbands. Another pro; the characters of Serena and George are also portrayed in a way as to evoke a sense of a take charge leading persona due to the necessity of having to make a living in their careers. The dark aspects and cons that I did not enjoy about this movie; I have not read the book and am unsure whether or not the writer had children, but I found hurtful aspects as to how Serena was portrayed through a child-free woman lense. For instance, it appears that the characters of George and Serena lived in a time period where there was not government help for people to fall back on if they did not have enough money to eat or live (i.e. it looked like a live or die scenario if one did not generate enough income to live on regardless of whether one had children or not). There is a scene where Serena is interacting with a woman and her child throughout the movie. Serena’s cold indifference to the mother and her child paints a negative stereotype that child-free women have a problem with and/or dislike mothers with children. I feel that this stereotype is unfair because the reasons that many women are childfree have little to do with whether or not they would have a problem with other mothers and their children. For instance, my late adoptive mother taught me through her own example to show respect towards other mothers and their children regardless of whether I chose to be child-free or not. In happier circumstances and/or time period, I’m sure that a real-life character such as Serena would eventually learn to accept the mother and child as well as at least provide financial help and/or emotional support whenever needed. I also did not like what happened to the character of Serena. It is as if the script implied that Serena’s life cannot have an improved ending and/or she is not capable of character rehabilitation and/or remorse. There is so much more that bothered me about this movie, but I know I must show consideration for those who have yet to see the film.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30