Profile for Stella Carrier > Reviews

Content by Stella Carrier
Top Reviewer Ranking: 73

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Stella Carrier "powerfulcommunicator2078"
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
An Angel at My Table (Criterion Collection)
An Angel at My Table (Criterion Collection)
DVD ~ Kerry Fox
Price: CDN$ 32.49
20 used & new from CDN$ 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring And Powerful, Dec 20 2014
I felt compelled to watch An Angel At My Table after seeing it on a list of recommended films about writers. Additionally, I feel very strongly in my soul, regardless of what some of my well- meaning critics may say, that it is part of my destiny to become a writer on the side. I intend to write and publish under an alias and/or pen name and credit countless people for inspiring me (such as a recent encouraging e-mail pertaining to authorship that I received from Sean Malarkey). Still, I found An Angel At My Table motivational because this movie centers around the true life story of a woman named Janet Frame (played by Kerry Fox) who enjoys a distinguished career as a writer despite acting different from other ladies who lived around the same time period (including her biological female family members). Sadly, she is at first misdiagnosed to be schizophrenic and almost ends up having to undergo a complete lobotomy. I must leave out how she gets out of this situation for those who have yet to see An Angel At My Table. However, from my perspective, this film captures in a humane and brilliant way the highs and lows of her life. Divided into three parts, this film captures moments such as when she first falls in love and another scene where she ends up getting romantically swept off her feet by another accomplished individual. Part one transitions into part two via the action point of her going off to college. Part two to three makes the transition of her going abroad from New Zealand to England and then to Spain. Quotes from the Shakespeare play of The Tempest and another quote from Robert Burns of Duncan Gray are featured in the movie transitions.

Bangerz
Bangerz
Price: CDN$ 10.00
41 used & new from CDN$ 5.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Yet Imaginative Miley Cyrus, Dec 20 2014
This review is from: Bangerz (Audio CD)
I purchased Bangerz by Miley Cyrus on November 6, 2014 and was pleasantly surprised by how good this cd is. Yes, the radio favorites of Wrecking Ball and Adore make Bangerz musically strong. However, I also enjoyed Love Money Party feat. Big Sean and Do My Thing because they capture a music vibe of jolly songs that send the message of seeing the best that life has to offer. Banngerz by Miley Cyris is fine for those who are open-minded to the idea of hearing a fusion of pop and dance beats.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Bilingual) [DVD + UltraViolet]
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Bilingual) [DVD + UltraViolet]
Price: CDN$ 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Military Power of Five Groups, Dec 20 2014
First off, I must add that I feel lucky to have obtained the chance to see each of the Hobbitt films within a month after each of the films were released in the U.S. People that have followed my online profiles would also confirm that I have enjoyed the previous two films as well as The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies. Please know that I also acknowledge that there were a number of actors/actresses who contributed to this film; I’m just listing the men and women who I felt intuitively guided to discuss. For these reasons, I would prefer to eventually obtain all three dvds when they come out as a three dvd set even if that means I would have to wait longer than those who are waiting for just this film. One of the reasons for my rating is due to the multiple thrilling action scenes and plot twists that are in this movie and tie into the other two movies. For instance, Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) is up to his usual crafty game of trying to support Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) while discreetly facilitating the safe passage of a rare artifact. Gandalf The Grey (Ian McKellen) ends up with dual role of having to boost morale among his group while simultaneously acting as mediator. Tauriel (Evangeline Lily) is romantically admired by both Legolas Greenleaf (Orlando Bloom) and Kili (Aidan Turner). Thranduil (Lee Pace) is still simultaneously coming to terms with accepting his son Greenleaf’s love for Tauriel and releasing the urge to be overprotective of Legolas Greenleaf. Thranduil is also dealing with the responsibilities of being a leader among the elves. A huge element of surprise awaits all of these previously mentioned characters as well as members of their tribes due to the five army battle involving the gatherings of humans,elves, dwarves, animals (such as the eagles and bears), and orcs. Stephen Fry, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, and Christopher Lee are also among the multiple celebrities who make appearances in this film which is perfect for many men and women familiar with any of the previous Hobbit films and/or those who like fantasy movies.

V for Vendetta / Watchmen [Import]
V for Vendetta / Watchmen [Import]
Price: CDN$ 14.61
20 used & new from CDN$ 5.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Double Realities?, Dec 20 2014
I purchased this Double Feature of V For Vendetta and Watchmen at my Walmart job for just five dollars. Both V For Vendetta and Watchmen touch on the concept of Parallel Worlds and what can happen with the change of even just a few events. The front of the dvd has Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving’s character of V. Additionally, the front of the cover also contains the main character portrayals from the Watchmen. The back of the dvd credits the creators of the matrix trilogy for the V for Vendetta movie while director Zac Snyder from the 300 movie is credited for the Watchmen film.

Pharao
Pharao
Offered by horizonsca
Price: CDN$ 19.00
6 used & new from CDN$ 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Pleasurable 90’s Club Music, Dec 20 2014
This review is from: Pharao (Audio CD)
I’m lucky to have had the chance to purchase Pharao by Pharao in 2008 when I was living in Norfolk Virginia. I had previously heard Secrets by Pharao on the radio around the time I was 14-15 years old. I ended up paying only 5 dollars and 96 cents (including the shipping cost) for a fantastic cd. One reason why I feel this way is because Pharao by Pharao is one of those cds where many of the other songs are even better than the one or two songs that were used to promote the cd. For instance, I remember Secrets and There Is A Star were two of the amusing songs that were promoted on the radio when I first heard their music as a teenager. However, World of Magic, Gold In The Pyramid, Beautiful Flower of The Bad, and Rave Like An Egyptian are other merry tunes on this cd that transport one back into a euphoric state of mind akin to being in a 90’s theme Eurodance club.

Write It Down Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
Write It Down Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
by Henriette Anne Klauser
Price: CDN$ 13.71
36 used & new from CDN$ 1.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Plans To Set In Motion, Dec 20 2014
Write It Down, Make It Happen by Henriette Anne Klausner touch on the art of organizing goals and implementing them using just pen, paper, and pleasing writing processes. For instance,Klausner uses the example of an example of a man writing his own screenplay through the Writing in Reverse concept (page 45), getting ready to receive (starts on page 65), and starting a group (starts on page 157).

What Self-Made Millionaires Really Think, Know and Do: A Straight-Talking Guide to Business Success and Personal Riches
by Richard Dobbins
Price: CDN$ 20.15
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-Made Fulfillment, Dec 20 2014
What Self-Made Millionaires Really Think, Know, And Do by Richard Dobbins & Barrie O Pettman capture the moments of the authors acknowledging some of the multiple people who helped them on the journey to the creation of this book. The authors then generously share their background and their prestigious professional backgrounds detailing their successes. For instance, Dobbins generously shares that he made his first million in management development while Pettman shares that he made his first millions in publishing. Chapters such as You Can Have It If You Want It ( a chapter that hit home for me and one of the areas that I’m in the process of working on, starts on page 27), strategy will get you there (starts on page 99), and sales skills (starts on page 159) are among the multiple subject areas covered in What Self Made Millionaires Really Think Know and Do.

Official Madonna Square 2015 Calendar
Official Madonna Square 2015 Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars 2015 madonna calendar shots, Dec 18 2014
Madonna the official 2015 calendar is definitely a worthwhile purchase for Madonna fans and even those who only currently have some of her music. One reason is due to the fact that she has allowed the calendar dates to be set up in a way to where you can have a decent amount of space to write in whatever you have planned for the day. In addition to her picture postes for each month, there are also quotes. The holidays are not listed on the exact dates, however they are listed on the bottom of each month within the calendar. Overall, a worthwhile purchase for those serious about finally owning their own calendar and see the good in what Madonna represents.

Limitless
Limitless
DVD ~ Bradley Cooper
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 26.25
19 used & new from CDN$ 11.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired me to take up writing on the side, Dec 18 2014
This review is from: Limitless (DVD)
I have to admit that the inspiration I just wrote was the last thing I would expect to happen when I purchased this limitless (starring Bradley cooper) dvd at my walmart job for just five dollars back around September 2014. After all, my husband and I enjoyed watching limitless together when we saw it in movie theaters in 2011 and were both drawn to the idea of the possibilities that could be unleashed if a person can increase their intelligence/genius by just taking a pill. I was mainly looking to explore that possibility again when I purchased this limitless dvd,but something just clicked in me in the scene when he accomplishes the feat of writing his novel. There have also been a series of positive incidences that have also gave me a reminder on how seeking out wisdom and striving for the greatness of genius have been discussed; a natalie portman articIe online where she acknowledged the importance of intellectual growth (I intend to update this review later with one of the articles because I’m aware she is widely known for both her brains and beauty), coming across a book at my job where a woman realized that her beauty can only carry her so far and that her greater focus must be on wisdom, a local news article discussing benedict cumberbatch’s role in the imitation game, and a yahoo news connection on chris hemsworth starring in an upcoming movie based on someone known for their genius). However, I wish to avoid saying more on it and to just at least acknowledge that this movie limitless and the actor’s (Bradley cooper)portrayal inspired me to pursue a side writing career ( a new years resolution). Bradley cooper stars as the character of eddie morra, whose life turns 180 degree turn for the better when he is given a pill that expands his potential. Morra ends up attacting the wealth and love that he craves. However, he meets gets his life turned upside down by another powerful and wealth man named Carl Van loon (Robert DeNiro) who would like to exploit his abilities at morra’s expense. The following dvd extras are attributed to limitless; immortals, the warriors way, season of the witch, x-men first class.

Two Is Enough: A Couple's Guide to Living Childless by Choice by Scott, Laura S. (2009) Paperback
by Laura S. Scott
2 used & new from CDN$ 45.07

5.0 out of 5 stars For Those Voluntarily Child-free, Dec 18 2014
Please understand that I preface the review of Two Is Enough: A Couple’s Guide To Living Childless by Choice by Laura S. Scott by emphasizing that I have nothing against parents and do not have a problem with children (in other words I am far from the kid hater I’m stereotyped to be when I admit to have voluntarily choosing to be child-free). Additionally, I do not wish to convert people to not wanting children when they would otherwise want children. I just happen to believe that there is more than enough room in this world for both men and women who choose to be child-free and those who wish to be parents (whether they want a few children or several enough to rival a football team). My choice to become child-free was actually solidified during my teenage years after I spent a considerable amount of my early years (from age 10 to 18) helping my late adoptive mother look after my younger siblings (who were also adopted) and other children that she chose to take in. I already know the pros and cons to motherhood after helping out my late adoptive mother and understood (during my teen years) that one must be passionate about choosing to become a mother due to the various freedoms that one must voluntarily give up (unless your family is making good money, can afford nannies,has family members who can afford to frequently look after the children, and/or one (whether it is the mother or father) who can comfortably afford to be a stay at home parent). Last, but not least, I also never meant to hurt and still only choose harm-free intent for the rest of my current existence, towards those women who have tried unsuccessfully to become pregnant and do not agree with me admitting on facebook that I voluntarily chose to undergo tubal ligation surgery when I was 23 years old (after commenting and sharing the Huffington Post article of what it really feels like to be a childfree woman by bri seeley on my facebook page). With the preface out of the way, I admit to finding out about Two Is Enough: A Couple’s Guide To Living Childless by Choice by Laura S. Scott through a Yahoo News article titled “I Chose Not To Have Children” by Anne Jones dated October 28, 2014. As a result, I must share that this is a book more for those who have freely chose to be child-free and/or those who have tried unsuccessfully to have children in the past but now accept and come to terms with being child-free. With all of that out of the way, the following are some of the carefully thought out points made in the book: Pages 14-15: profiles of those who are child-free by choice, page 48: two couples who met through the Eastern Virginia chapter of No Kidding!. Chapter 4 (Page 75) starts with the 18 motives that encompass a reason umbrella on why various people voluntarily choose the child-free path such as motive statement 2: I value freedom and independence (page 79), motive statement 5: I want to accomplish/experience things in life that would be easier to do child-free (page 84), motive statement 6: I want to focus my time and energy on my own interests, needs, and/or goals (page 85). More motives and insightful details are covered within this book. The author also includes resources for the voluntarily child-free and there is a brief summary about her background and an inclusion of an acknowledgements page at the back.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20