ARRAY(0xb31558f4)

Profile for Andrew Sleight > Reviews

Content by Andrew Sleight

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Andrew Sleight (Ontario, Canada)

Thief
Thief
Offered by VGP Video Games Plus
Price: CDN$ 36.99
9 used & new from CDN$ 36.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Buggy but Fun, March 27 2014
This review is from: Thief (Video Game)
The new Thief game is a mixed bag of tricks. The stealth and gameplay mechanics are fun and compelling, the upgrade system has some interesting choices for you to make in the early game, prioritizing life expectancy over greater stealth or focus abilities. But it has its flaws as well; the sound system is a bit buggy, sometimes leading to the same "background" dialogue from people in the street layering over itself like an echo, and the music sometimes bursts up loudly like you're in the middle of combat when it was just a close stealth mishap.

But if you look over the mostly-cosmetic bugs (I haven't hit any game-breaking bugs in my 1.5 play-throughs of the game yet) it's an entertaining first-person stealth title. If you come at this game expecting to pull out crazy ninja moves and kill every enemy in sight, you need to find another game. That was never the spirit of Thief, and if you try and play a stealth game like Rambo, you shouldn't be surprised that you won't have fun.

With the Challenge mode offering some fun minigames in controlled maps with leaderboards to compete against, and a Custom difficulty mode that lets you toggle over a dozen different options like Iron Man mode (death = restart game) No bow reticle, no Focus, slower movement speed, no fatalities, no being spotted, and more... you can make the game as tough as you want it to be.

I've already begun a Twitch.tv broadcast of a playthrough with Custom difficulty, if you'd care to see how difficult the game is when you're trying not to ever be detected or touch a hair on a guard's head I'm registered there (and on Xbox) as Wizminkey. I've seen a lot of other players sprinting around everywhere trying to turn it into a fast-paced action game for their viewers, and can't help but wonder if those people aren't the loudest naysayers for this game, because I think it's brilliant.

Green Lantern: Extended Cut (Blu-ray)
Green Lantern: Extended Cut (Blu-ray)
DVD ~ Ryan Reynolds
Price: CDN$ 9.99
26 used & new from CDN$ 5.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Not Great, May 10 2012
I enjoyed this movie. As a Marvel fan growing up, I didn't read much DC but am still a comic book fan. I didn't know a ton about the Green Lantern story going in, apart from what I'd seen in games or a handful of cartoons or crossover comics.

I found the game enjoyable if you don't take it seriously. Don't go in expecting to have your mind blown or to have a nerdgasm over how awesomely they mimicked the comics down to the strands of hair on his head.

It's a fun comic hero adventure with some good comedic moments and some nice graphics and acting. I saw it in 3D in the theatre, and am (after writing this review) purchasing the BluRay now that the price has dropped a bit.

Microsoft Microsoft Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack Xbox 360
Microsoft Microsoft Xbox 360 Rechargeable Battery Pack Xbox 360
Price: CDN$ 19.99
13 used & new from CDN$ 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, March 12 2012
After Microsoft stopped making standalone batteries available for sale, my original batteries started to lose their maximum charge quite rapidly.

At that point, my only options were third party batteries, or to shell out $30 for a single battery with an extra charge cable. It should be noted that the third party battery I purchased does work with the Play n Charge cable, but does NOT work with the Quick Charge unit. I was very disappointed by this.

So as soon as I saw this new package for sale, I jumped at it! Now I can charge a spare battery or two in my Xbox 360 Quick Charge Kit while I play one to death and have put the Play n Charge cable back to very rare useage when 3-4 players are playing and I don't have enough spare batteries ;)

Dark Souls The Official Guide
Dark Souls The Official Guide
by Future Press
13 used & new from CDN$ 89.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide, Feb. 27 2012
This guide is a must-have for anyone looking to delve into the game with some help.

Game mechanics are explained that make no sense to a newcomer to the game, weapons and armour upgrades are shown and must-have maps and fight strategies for all areas of the game.

Any time I play Dark Souls, this book is open by my side for one reason or another.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy]
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Bilingual) [Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy]
DVD ~ Shia LaBeouf
Price: CDN$ 16.98
20 used & new from CDN$ 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Featureless, Oct. 6 2011
Folks like me who buy movies on BluRay for all the special features, documentaries, deleted scenes, etc. should avoid this. It doesn't have a single special feature. Not even a commentary track.

Wait for a full-featured version, or buy this one if you just want to see the movie.

ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/ Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card
ASUS nVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/ Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card
Offered by dealkings
Price: CDN$ 302.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 302.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Card, May 30 2011
Just got mine delivered today, and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm able to run modern games like Rift, Portal 2, Brink, Darkspore and more at full or almost full settings with 30+ FPS consistently and without overclocking it.

The only caveat for potential buyers; this card is very large compared to some of the cheaper cards on the market, like the one I upgraded from. Be sure to take note of this and measure the area around your PCI-E slot. It also takes up two slots, one for the fan exhaust.

Summary: Runs quiet, runs great. Probably one of the best cards in this price range.