Profile for R. Ocampo > Reviews

Content by R. Ocampo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R. Ocampo "Artisan" (North America)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Clek OL12C1-CP Olli Booster Seat Special Edition Leather Cooper (Black)
Clek OL12C1-CP Olli Booster Seat Special Edition Leather Cooper (Black)
Price: CDN$ 149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost What I Was Looking for in a Booster Seat, March 11 2015
I like the Clek Olli and it was almost what I was looking for in a car booster seat. I like that fact that this simple booster has LATCH attachment so it doesn't go flying away in any situation. But a simple pull of the tether in front will release the seat for easy transport. I also got the leather seating option because although you can almost easily remove the cover, I'd rather wipe any minor spills without having to worry about it soaking through the material like my previous car seats.

Not to mention the padding for the bum is thicker than any booster seat I've seen. My son hasn't complained yet with this seat so that's probably a good thing.

PROS:
1. Premium Leather material seating for easy cleaning.
2. Thick padding for the bum to provide comfort on longer trips.
3. LATCH capability. People also think just because this has LATCH that you cannot use it for non-LATCH equipped vehicles. If you read the instructions, it will simply tell you to tuck the LATCH anchors underneath the seating and use just like any normal booster seat.
4. Surface material can be removed for a more thorough cleaning.
5. Included drink holder.
6. Included strap to attach to the LATCH for easy portability when travelling, if you choose to bring along this seat.

CONS:
1. Plastic rest handles look very ordinary cheap. It cheapens the whole look of this Clek booster seat. They should have designed it a bit better with even more high quality plastic. For $150, I expected a lot in overall design.
2. Drink holder can only attach to one side - the right side. Why? All they have is a simple pocket hole to hook the plastic of the drink holder. They could have easily sewn another pocket on the other side. Again, for $150 this could have easily been done.
3. More colours especially for the plastic parts. How about white for a start.

OVERALL:
Purchased this because of the great reviews. If only they improved on the functionality, design, and colours it would be an easy 5 star rating.

2 By 2: Expanded
2 By 2: Expanded
Price: CDN$ 30.39
23 used & new from CDN$ 11.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip this one., March 11 2015
This review is from: 2 By 2: Expanded (Audio CD)
Nothing special. I regret my purchase. I have the vinyl version for collection so in order to preserve that I was happy to see they came out with a CD version. It appears that they basically increased the volume to the point of near distortion. I appreciate what they were trying to do as I don't like the old days where the digital threshold was just being pushed so recording volume was too soft back then. But this was overdone. There was no delicacy to it. Everything just sounded harsh on my Audio Technica headphones.

Also if they were to release a CD expanded version, they might as well have included the 12" of "Love Moves In Strange Ways". Where is that version? Not too thought out. You should skip until a real re-mastered and expanded version comes out one day.

Merkur Heavy Duty Classic Safety Razor, Chrome Finish
Merkur Heavy Duty Classic Safety Razor, Chrome Finish
Price: CDN$ 50.17
8 used & new from CDN$ 50.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Double Edge Happiness I Switched to Old School Shaving., March 11 2015
Like most of you, I've grown tired of constantly purchasing Gillette safety razors year after year. I thought each update of their razor would bring a better shaving experience. Perhaps. But still the razor blades would dull faster than you can afford to replace. I've been a Proglide user for years. Last year I was given a free Proglide Flexball. It didn't offer a revolutionary shaving experience. And the next catch of course is to continuously purchase the cartridges.

So when my cartridges ran out I refused to purchase another set. Then I came across users of old-school razors.

Then I thought to myself, if I were to make the switch and since the cheap blades will pay for the actual razor over time I might as well purchase a more expensive Merkur. So I looked at the Merkur Vision and Futur line. Especially the gold ones. I read the reviews and they all liked it because it was a Merkur not to mention the modern styling. But the complaints looked valid. The fatigue on the metal. The ability to change blades. The question it will last long.

And that's how I ended up with the Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor 34C.

PROS:
1. Perfect weight. As the others have stated, you let the weight of the razor work for you rather than use it to press against your skin.
2. Great size. The short handle for beginners like myself allow greater control over the razor.
3. Awesome construction. All metal. I want to pass this on to my son not for being a cheapskate, but for sentimental value. I will teach him to shave with this razor.
4. Easy blade handling. It's not as easy as the butterfly opening of other razors, but the two piece construction allows the blade to be grasped and changed safely. No balancing of the blades or mis-alignment as the blade will sit securely on the top part and you can just drop the whole handle on it with the centre guide. After which you screw it back on.
5. Simple. No complicated adjustments to allow any metal to stress and break.

CONS:
1. The included Merkur blade to get you started isn't something to sing about. I find it a bit dull and I will be looking for something sharper, but still for beginners like myself. Possibly the Astra blades before I move up to the Feather blades.
2. No protective cap. I wish Merkur provides a plastic protective cap to allow me to transport while on the road. A simple one similar to toothbrush caps will be best.

OVERALL:
I'm very satisfied with this razor blade. I'm glad I didn't go splurging like I normally do for a more expensive model. I was even thinking of this 34C in gold plating, but I also read reviews of the gold plate chipping and fading away which will make it look cheap. I want something that will look old school and last just like those without the tacky upgrades.

La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger
La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger
Price: CDN$ 61.60
19 used & new from CDN$ 61.60

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better Overnight Smart Chargers. Needs Improvement to Make the Display Intuitive., July 6 2014
This is one of the better chargers to get with your rechargeable batteries. I have a sack of Sanyo Eneloop batteries and couldn't be happier with pairing this charger with those batteries.

I have an everyday Sony fast charger that has a convenient display. it tells me the recharge state of the batteries in a simple back lit graphic. Once the charge is done, the back light turns off.

With the La Crosse, it does have a display with multitude of readouts on the state of the battery which is for more advanced users. The problem is that with the text-only display, it can get confusing how to read and interpret the data especially if you don't use it frequently like myself.

I do like this charger because based on reviews it is more advanced in charging and conditioning the battery to make it's lifespan last longer.

It defaults to a slow overnight charger which you can change the setting to increase the voltage to make it recharge faster. However, you will have to press the buttons almost immediately upon power up.

So for me, if I want a fast charger I pull out my Sony smart charger. If I'm not in a hurry and don't mind the slow overnight charging then I use this.

I am hoping La Crosse makes the graphics and operation more intuitive including a backlight so you can view at night without an external light.

Seagate NAS HDD 4TB SATA 6GB NCQ 64 MB Cache Bare Drive ST4000VN000
Seagate NAS HDD 4TB SATA 6GB NCQ 64 MB Cache Bare Drive ST4000VN000
Offered by Memory house
Price: CDN$ 215.00
29 used & new from CDN$ 215.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Drives To Get For Your NAS, July 6 2014
Ordered a couple of these for the LaCie 5Big NAS Pro as my home server and looks like a match made in Heaven from day 1. Knowing how fragile hard drives can be during shipping especially with OEM packaging, I was crossing my fingers during the installation. Inserted the disks one by one and was recognized within a minute.

The disks are very quite and barely give off more heat than is expected from a server in my storage room when I leave it on 24 hours alongside the Arris DVR + External Hard Drive, Cisco Switch, and APC Back Up. In any case, when I know I don't need to access the NAS, I turn it off to save of electricity as well as prevent more wear and tear on the hard drives.

So far since last December installation, I have had no problems being reported by the NAS. Knock on wood a million times now that I've said it.

It's very quiet thanks also to the 5Big NAS Pro enclosure. I can't hear a thing except when it powers up and down.

Overall I would recommend these NAS drives.

LaCie 5big NAS Pro Diskless Cloudbox (9000362U)
LaCie 5big NAS Pro Diskless Cloudbox (9000362U)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Imagined., Dec 19 2013
FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I was a heavy LaCie user back in the early 2000's with their external storage and optical disc reader/writer. One of my external drives gave up it's life just after a year and I lost a lot of data which is my fault for not having a back up. I realize the passive cooling on their aluminum case won't cut it. All hard drives that is being frequently used needs active cooling one way or another. Drives that will be connected for a short period to back up files and then stored away again will have no problem with passive cooling. When I checked the forums about my external model, I was stunned how many people had drive failures as well and I swore off LaCie entirely. The thing is LaCie was known to boutique filmmakers and photographers so they depended on it for heavy use, which I know now was a mistake.

I went from simple external enclosures to finding a dependable NAS. A few years ago I bought HP's MediaSmart Server which I found effective at that time. There were quirks to it's bloated interface which was painfully slow to navigate. And despite it's limitations on file character length, I couldn't complain with it's stability which to this day is still standing strong.

I thought it can only get better with new NAS in the market so I got a Seagate Black Armor NAS. I couldn't believe how clunky the interface was which was even worse than the old timer HP MediaSmart. And how painfully slow the connection was despite having two gigabit ethernet. I would have a disk disconnect from time to time which would mess up the RAID 5 configuration and it would slowly rebuild itself.

Fast forward to the end of 2013 and I started looking for a better NAS that was fast, dependable, a solid build, and great design. Surprisingly this LaCie 5Big NAS Pro kept on coming up. Even more surprising are the above average reviews.

BUILD:

From the outside, it looks like one solid aluminum block. In fact hidden underneath this solid skin is a plastic shell which helps make the weight manageable.

You have a big blue button in front for to power on and off. The clicking sensation feels nice and not cheap. Once it powers up, the blue button glows with a bright backlight. The blue light has been a LaCie trademark, which is a nice touch within the cold aluminum. The issue I have is it’s too bright at night. You can power off the light easily on the web interface. But I wish there was another option to adjust the brightness. I want to retain the blue light, but I don’t want to be blinded by it. As comparison, the old HP MediaSmart Server’s blue lights can be adjusted. There should be no reason why LaCie isn’t able to do the same. As it stands, the light is either bright on or off.

PORTS:

At the back of the block are the ports arranged on the bottom. You have 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x USB 3.0 ports, a VGA port, 2 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, power port for the external power supply.

The USB ports serve a multi purpose from connecting the supplied LaCie USB installation key, a printer, a UPS device, or another hard drive.

The VGA port for direct connection and trouble-shooting when you can’t connect via the web interface.

Two Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports to connect to your router, switch, hub, or another server which in this case will be your DAS (Direct Attached Storage). What I did and would recommend is to attach the two LAN ports to your switch to manage the flow of communication. By utilizing the two ports at the same time, you are given a choice of either a faster connection (Load Balancing) OR a more reliable/stable connection (Fault Tolerance).

- Load Balancing will give you a 1.5X speed connection per the manual. You don’t get a full 2 x Gigabit speed perhaps due to limitations in the build, but a 1.5 x Gigabit speed is better than a Gigabit speed. This is all theoretical of course assuming your network and the hard drives (plus RAID) settings can keep up.

- Fault Tolerance is when you have two connections, but only use one Gigabit active LAN. When the primary connection fails, the second one takes over.

- As a side note Load Balancing can handle a drop in one of the ethernet connections but the 5Big unit will take some time to adapt to the drop versus Fault Tolerance which is instantaneous.

- Choosing one or the other will depend on your priority. If you depend on the unit for faster speed accessing, say multimedia files, then Load Balancing is best. Whether you choose one or the other it’s best to have a back up drive on your network or in another location.

For the power port they made a good decision to keep the unit compact enough to hold the 5 hard drives and the processor as well as keep the extra heat out. You do get a massive brick I’d say twice the size of a regular power brick of laptops.

INSTALLATION/INTERFACE/SPEED/STABILITY:

Installation for my diskless choice is relatively fast enough. You insert the included LaCie USB key to install the OS (but first make sure to have the latest OS files loaded into the key downloadable from the web). Power up the unit and then start inserting the chosen hard drives one by one starting with the left-most side.

From there the web interface from your computer will take over so you can see the actual install procedure. Here you will choose the RAID configuration as well as check the latest OS version to download. Once the installation is done, you then set up your users and preferences.

The web interface is as beautiful and simple as the unit itself. I am impressed with the GUI which is simple, but extensive enough. Of course when I say extensive, I mean this unit will serve the need of small businesses, home office, or homes with larger demands in storage and user base.

There are no added applications to slow down the interface like in a Windows server OS. While in Seagate’s NAS interface, the GUI is so bland it’s painful.

This 5Big NAS Pro is very fast. This is relative of course depending on your chosen RAID configuration.

This unit, despite Seagate taking over LaCie, can theoretically take on any SATA drive. But they do have a recommended list of “tested” drives for a more reliable and stable server environment.

OVERALL:

I am impressed and happy with my purchase and in going back in trying this LaCie 5Big NAS Pro model. I’m glad I didn’t try a LaCie with their earlier 5Big models which had mediocre reviews. With this latest iteration, they nailed the speed and performance aspect.

I can only hope that they do not limit the choice of hard drive models to only Seagate drives in the future if they want to keep LaCie independent of the Seagate business unit.

I have no hesitation recommending this model.

One final note is that if you are in no hurry to get this up and running, I would purchase the DISKLESS 5Big NAS Pro version and then load your own chosen compatible hard drive. You can use as little as one hard drive up to five. It wouldn’t make sense to buy this and only use one drive with absolutely no data security. At least use two hard drives and have one backup the other. When you have enough money to expand, you can easily do so by inserting disk three to five.

Even if you want to go 20TB big in one shot, it is cheaper to buy the diskless version and then purchase your 5 x 4TB NAS compatible drives which in my case cost me 30% cheaper than if I purchased the 20TB model. The only difference is that LaCie has loaded the unit with 5 x 4TB drives (I won’t be surprised if these were the same Seagate 4TB NAS drives I chose) and did the RAID installation already. The 30% premium you pay is to get you up and running in a few minutes after unpacking the unit. If you plan ahead before your current storage solution fails, that 30% savings can mean extra equipment or even two more 4TB hard drives in standby should one fail down the road. I’ll say it again, plan ahead.

HP LaserJet P1006 Printer
HP LaserJet P1006 Printer
7 used & new from CDN$ 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Design and Value for Home Printing Needs, Nov. 14 2009
I was going to give it three stars because of the ridiculous Amazon Canada pricing, but held back and reminded myself I'm reviewing the product itself.

After years of depending on inkjet printers for simple documents to photos, I was tired of watching the expiration date on the ink cartridges. Having re-assessed my printing needs, I realized I should have switched to a laser printer even before.

Of course prices were a factor in terms of ink and toner replacement as well as the unit itself. Not these days.

PROS:
- HP LaserJet P1006 has an attractive price point going for below $100
- Combined ink and toner in one. No need to purchase two accessories for printing as HP combined it in one.
- Because it's dry ink to start with, there is an infinite ink life which is perfect for people who don't print as often anymore and just need a printer that's ready when called for after a long dormant rest.
- For a laser printer, this is a very compact unit that can fit in more spaces than ever before where it was once impossible for laser printers
- Design. Modern and professional looking silver and dark grey scheme with round, smooth edges.
- Relatively quiet. I was expecting a blatantly loud printing start up, but HP has managed to make this very decent and perfect for a home environment.
- Compared to the basic P1005, this P1006 has (a) more memory, (b) a bit faster printing speed, (c) extra slot for envelope printing
- I have to quote HP but it prints "bold, crisp text and sharper images". It really does!

CONS:
- HP became more cheap to ensure you replace the ink cartridges sooner because the included "starter" cartridge is only half the original supply at 750 pages versus 1,500.
- At this day and age, wireless and network printing should be an option that can be built into the unit versus having to buy an external product that needs it's own power supply.
- USB cable. How much does it cost to provide a cable to ensure trouble-free printing right out of the box without having to assess if the old cable has a tear.
- No auto-off feature that should shut itself if not used for at least 5 minutes to reduce phantom power. It only goes into powersave mode which still draws 3 watts just waiting for the next print which could be days or even months.

WIRELESS PRINTING CONNECTION VIA APPLE AIRPORT EXTREME DUAL MODE.
Since day one of installation, the printer was connected to an Apple Airport Extreme Dual Mode router. As for printing wireless with a Mac computer, there has been no problem passing the documents to the router. I simply installed the latest driver from the HP site and simply added the printer.

Not surprisingly for an Apple product, I did have problems printing wireless via a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows Vista despite downloading the latest drivers as well as Bonjour (which I've had no problems printing with the same set up under an older HP printer). Then after having given up, I decided to try again and it did print. Nothing changed except maybe one of those Windows Vista software updates down the line. HP drivers and Apple

Bonjour software version were all the same. I won't be surprised if it wouldn't print suddenly one of these days again as I've read online with other people's experiences.

I do have to point out that direct connection via USB to either Mac or Windows computer hasn't given me any problems when test printing. So if you plant a direct connection, then wireless printing wouldn't be an issue.

OVERALL:

I love the look of the printer and the print quality it provides for the cost of actually having a relatively itsy bitsy laser printer.

I'm not a fan of the half-value sampler ink cartridge. I'm not a fan of the replacement cartridge cost which doesn't surprise me why re-manufactured and third-party replacements are available. If this concerns HP, then they should simply lower the price so they have repeat customers.

For home printing needs that don't need everyday printing and require long life ink cartridge, I wouldn't hesitate recommending it at all.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition
6 used & new from CDN$ 114.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value among all Microsoft Office 2008 versions, July 31 2009
With the advent of Mac OS X in 2001, Microsoft has so far released three updates of Office starting with Office v. X at the same year, then Office 2004 and last year's Office 2008.

UNIVERSAL. The most notable update to Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac is the use of universal binary which means it can natively run on both newer Intel Macs and PowerPC (PPC). So if you have both older and newer Macs, then it's good to know you can use the same software to install on either machines.

LICENSE. The license I've read so far allows the installation to: 1) a primary device, 2) a portable device for use by the single primary user, and 3) on a network device for use as remote access by the single primary user.

VERSION. The standard version includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage and Microsoft Server Exchange Support.

The Special Media version contains the above and adds Microsoft Expression Media (basically a digital asset manager for USD100.00 more.)

The Home and Student Edition includes the basic Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage. HOWEVER, Home and Student Edition includes three licenses for non-professional use. If you don't make a profit using the software and only need it for the home, this provides the best value and most logical purchase decision.

CHANGES. To be at par with the PC version Microsoft Office 2007 and support Office Open XML file format. Oddly enough, lack of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) support made this the weirdest update for a more supposedly advanced operating system.

SPEED. Not really anything to gloat about in a PPC environment. But this was obviously made to enhance Intel Macs.

OVERALL. I was perfectly fine with Office X. I was also perfectly fine with Office 2004. I'm still okay with Office 2008. I think like the rest of the users who thought of updating for a better workflow, all I ended up was spending more to maintain better compatibility with my OS. But as criticisms keep pouring in, compatibility is not the strongest factor especially when switching between Office 2007 and Office 2008.

in my opinion, if speed for Intel Macs is your concern then this is a worthy purchase. For users holding on to PPC Macs, this is really not for you and I would just continue using Office 2004.

However, if you're only switching to a Mac then this is an essential purchase and with 3 licenses to use on three devices for the home it's really something you don't have to decide on. It's worth the price especially if you constantly exchange Office files between friends and classmates.

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac
Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but Essential, July 31 2009

In my opinion, this is really not a necessary update and I would just continue using Office 2004. Wait and pass on this release until Office 2010 for Mac is brought out and hopefully bringing back and keeping Windows and Mac features in sync.

Four stars if you're just buying a Mac version of Microsoft Office. Two stars for a non-stellar revision to date.

HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server
HP EX485 MediaSmart Home Server

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a PC to work on a Mac, July 27 2009
The HP EX48X MediaSmart Home Server series is a worthwhile version 2 release that retains it's familiar mini-tower design.

NOTE: The ONLY difference between an EX485 and an EX487 is whether you want 1x750GB (EX485) or 2x750GB (EX487). The additional bump of $150.00 for another 750GB does not make sense when you can spend the same amount immediately for a 1.5TB capacity as of this writing. So order an EX485 and buy your own chosen hard drive brand to install.

THE GOOD:

- 4 internal drive bays that allow installation of SATA I/II hard drive with potentially unlimited size even up to 2TB per disk or more per forum chatter.
- Additional 1 eSATA port and 4 USB ports to attach external hard drives to expand storage space when all four internal bays have been filled and/or for removable off-site storage and backup.
- 1 Gigabit ethernet port that MUST be connected to a router. You cannot connect this directly to an Ethernet port of your PC.
- Relatively easy to remove and install hard drives. No tools required.
- Supplied Ethernet cable to get you up and running without additional materials.
- Remote connection and streaming via setting up your own personal website.
- LIMITED MAC OS X capability.

THE BAD:

- You MUST have a Windows PC to set up and control the server from assigning a server password and user accounts, adding and removing hard drives, managing backups, and checking health of the unit and network.
- Initial 750GB space is not sufficient especially for it's current price offering.
- HP MediaSmart and Windows Home Server software is clunky even with update 2.5. There is a bit of a lag when clicking within the software menu.
- Some adjustments require restarts for changes to take effect which means the need for server downtime.
- Time Machine integration requires software installation versus simply having the ability for one hard drive bay to be allocated for it and prevent problems especially when restoring.

EXPERIENCE:

Despite the cons, I'm still rating this with high marks. The design and concept of having a very compact Home Server that is expandable makes it a winner. There is sufficient processing power to handle the home server needs.

CONNECTING TO A ROUTER:

Works best if you have a respectable Wireless-N router with Gigabit Ethernet connection and Universal Plug and Play support. Out of curiousity I've tried a basic Linksys WRT320N and installation and settings were automatically tweaked between the MediaSmart server and router to allow REMOTE connections.

As a primary Mac user, I actually use an Apple AirPort Extreme Dual Band router and I had to manually tweak the settings myself to open up a few Private and Public TCP ports as well as assign a static DHCP address for the MediaSmart server to acquire each and every time it powers up and connects to the router.

OVERALL:

The only solid miss is their lack of full integration with a Mac OS. I'm hoping their next software release will focus on a snappier performance with minimal lag.

But once settings has been adjusted via a Windows PC, you can practically forget about it and let it do it's task as a server running 24x7 or have the ability to sleep and save power at specific hours of the day when no one is home.

Unlike other servers, this allows any brand of hard drive without having to lock you out and patronize their own. If you are in the market for a home server, you've come to the right brand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3