Profile for 23JMS23 > Reviews

Content by 23JMS23

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

23JMS23 (Illinois)

Sweet Home Alabama (Bilingual)
Sweet Home Alabama (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Reese Witherspoon
Price: CDN$ 6.88
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the movies in my rotation!, June 24 2004
Again, my disclaimer: I am not the best writer here, so bear with me!
I saw this movie at the theatre when it came out and found myself watching it over and over again on cable. In fact, I watched it 4 time last week on STARZ.
The movie has a simple plot: Melanie is from the country and is now an up and coming fashion designer. She wants to marry NYC's most eligible bachelor, Andrew, the son of the mayor. However, she is still married to a high school sweetheart, Jake. She has to go back to her hometown to get her divorce, but finds that she still has feelings for Jake.
I think the purpose of the movie is to give the viewers enjoyment for an hour and a half. We aren't saving the world, but we sure feel good which watching this movie. I love Patrick Dempsey and it is great to see him looking so sophisticated and suave. Josh Lucas isn't really a newcomer (he was in A Beautiful Mind) but he is able to star in this one (think Matthew McConaghey meets Paul Newman).
And of course, Reese Witherspoon does a great job as the country girl/hot shot city girl!

Make It Big
Make It Big
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 21.99
11 used & new from CDN$ 6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I still listen to these songs!, June 24 2004
This review is from: Make It Big (Audio CD)
Ok, I'll start out by saying that I'm not the best writer, but here goes!
I have the cassette tape of this album and have listened to it throughout the years. I must admit that I listen to the radio favorites: Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, Everything She Wants, Freedom, and Careless Whisper. I was only 8 years old when these songs were popular, but I definitely remember the gorgeously silky smooth voice of George Michael.
My favorite song is Freedom. It is ear candy to me! Every time I hear it, I feel happier inside (like I felt when I was 8 years old listening to this album).
If you could get a copy of this album I'd give it a chance. You don't hear songs like this on the radio anymore!

The Working Poor: Invisible in America
The Working Poor: Invisible in America
by David K. Shipler
18 used & new from CDN$ 11.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think twice, May 22 2004
I requested this book from the library after seeing an episode of Nightline with Ted Koppel.
This book really does make you stop and think about how different our lives really are in America. I hate to admit this, but I usually don't pay too much attention to the people who are on the edge of poverty, working the jobs that most of us will never have to work. Now, when I go to the fast food window or to a Kmart or Walmart, I realize that many of these workers are not getting paid well, and probably cannot even afford to shop at the stores they work in, or buy food at the fast food place either.
I'm not the best writer, but please take a look at this book if you get the chance. Maybe it will help you to understand what these people are going through.

In The Zone
In The Zone
Price: CDN$ 8.00
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Britney rocks!, April 16 2004
This review is from: In The Zone (Audio CD)
I listened to this CD in the car ride home last week. I love Toxic, I never seem to tire of it. I think it is the best song she's recorded since the Drive Me Crazy song. It was written by Cathy Dennis, who was popular in the 90's for her catchy danceable tunes.

Come on
Come on
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 17.95
5 used & new from CDN$ 5.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another pretty face, April 9 2004
This review is from: Come on (Audio CD)
Ben Jelen's the real thing. He is still very young, yet sings with such passion and yearning. I love the song "Come On"; I've been hearing it for a few months now. Don't let his good looks fool you, he has talent!

Dare to Believe (Mini Books)
Dare to Believe (Mini Books)
by Beth Mende Conny
35 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Dare to believe in yourself, Nov. 8 2003
This is a great little book to give as a present to your friends and loved ones. There are 65 different uplifting quotes in this book from people of many walks of life. We all face obstacles but the most important thing is to believe in yourself...this book helps me to do it!

Power of Love: Best of So
Power of Love: Best of So
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 39.86
9 used & new from CDN$ 19.20

2.0 out of 5 stars One song truly stands out...., Oct. 18 2003
I originally purchased this CD for a friend who wanted a copy of "Heaven Help Me" by Deon Estus. The entire CD is dull in comparison to this one song. "Heaven Help Me" is hauntingly beautiful, especially with background vocals from his friend George Michael.
No other song truly stands out except this one. Deon Estus' original solo album is now out of print, so if you're a fan of his, I'd get this album!

Field of Dreams (Widescreen)
Field of Dreams (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Kevin Costner
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 25.31
25 used & new from CDN$ 4.48

5.0 out of 5 stars If you build it, he will come...., June 20 2001
This review is from: Field of Dreams (Widescreen) (DVD)
This is a wonderful movie for anyone who has or had a dream. Kevin Costner portrays small town Iowa farmer, Ray Kinsella, who hears a voice urging him to build a baseball field. The townspeople think that he's crazy, but he knows its his destiny. His wife, Annie (Amy Madigan) supports him fully at first. Ray Liotta is excellent as Shoeless Joe Jackson, who one day shows up at Ray's baseball field. Shoeless Joe is joined by numerous baseball players from the past, who just want to have the chance to play baseball again.
Ray heads out on a journey to track down writer in seclusion, Terry Mann (James Earl Jones). After a lot of hemming an hawing, Terry joins him on his qwest. They next encounter Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham, who is brilliantly portrayed by legendary actor Burt Lancaster. Ray, Terry, and Dr. Graham all have a common interest, though. They all yearn for the years past, what used to be...to have that second chance to fulfill their dreams.
**On a side note, this was one of Burt Lancaster's last screen roles before he passed away. It was wonderful to see this accomplished actor in such a role, as the wise older physician who gave up his dreams in order to help others. This is a must see film for anyone who has not yet realized their dreams, or maybe you have - it'll bring back memories of those times.