Profile for Duchess > Reviews

Content by Duchess
Top Reviewer Ranking: 531

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special
Price: CDN$ 15.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars A comedy done in very bad taste, Dec 27 2014
This DVD of his was no where near as good as his other DVD's that he has done. In this one we found that his 'puppets' were really being nasty or rude to him. We found it more especially with Peanut as to how he talked to him and about him. It seems that shows like this that are supposed to be 'funny' or 'comedic' has really change the actual meaning of 'comedies' these days. As for us really liking this DVD of his -- the answer is 'No' because it was a bit to 'rude' for our taste. If this is the idea of what the younger generations likes for 'funny or comedic shows' then sorry -- we don't want to be a part of this type of comedy and condone what he has done for this DVD.

Sony DSCW830/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)
Sony DSCW830/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black)
7 used & new from CDN$ 138.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony DSCW830/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black), Dec 7 2014
I originally bought the Canon Powershot SX510 from amazon.ca in June 2014. Listed below is what it had - what came with it AND what it cost me:

Eye-Fi Mobi 8GB SDHC Class 10 Wireless Memory Card to Deliver Camera Media to Apple iPhone/iPad or Android Devices Frustration Free Packaging
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.
Canon PowerShot SX510 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD Video
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc. $260.39

When I received it, I had - for some reason - too many problems or issues with it that it wouldn't work properly. Instead of fight it and trying to figure out all the issues that was wrong with it I sent it back to amazon and got a full refund.

After a few months of searching for and finding the 'right camera' for me, I finally decided on the one listed below:

Sony DSCW830/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Black) $229.99

Although I did NOT buy this from amazon.ca - and instead bought it from "Future Shop" from a store in my home town - I decided that I would STILL leave a review for this product as I have had - since I bought it in September of this year with excellent results!

This camera (Sony DSCW830/B 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD - color is Black), I have had now since September of 2014 and have taken many pictures with it - to me - it was WORTH THE PRICE I PAID FOR IT. I paid about $156 CAD in total for this product. I would recommend this to anyone who wants just a 'simple' camera to operate that has a few goodies on it still and also that it is able to upload the pictures you've taken - to put on your computer or laptop. This is the actual reason WHY I chose this product over all the rest of the cameras I was shown at Future Shop.

For me - it is a good price at about $156 CAD in total which in this price now - includes the 'extras' that this gadget needs to work properly so you CAN transfer the pictures you've taken to put on your laptop or other devices. (I think that is where some of these 'extras' that it 'needs' for it to do what it is capable of). To me that is rather frustrating that the stores DON'T give the 'extras' it actually needs and sets the price as final. Again, I think this is where the huge corporations like Future Shop and other stores try and get as much money out of you as they possibly can!!!! (As if they don't already make enough profit!).

Well in the end I have come to this conclusion
1) it is simple to use - even for the slowest of learners on how to use it.
2) it is simple to operate
3) has given me excellent pictures since I bought it - especially of the pictures I've taken of my counted cross-stitch projects that have been recently framed (also at quite a costly expense!)

As for my being happy I bought it - YES I am!!!! I am please with what I paid for all of the things needed for it for STILL a smaller price than what this one from amazon.ca is charging.

As for you being able to get this camera now from Future Shop or somewhere else --- at that same price I paid for it --- I don't know about that, but still --- I HAVE NO REGRETS! Now with it being already December, I am going to take this very same camera to Jasper with me because I AT LEAST KNOW that the pictures I take will have turned out well! If you choose to buy this - no matter where you decide buy it - you will NOT be disappointed!

Inspector Lewis: Series 7
Inspector Lewis: Series 7
DVD ~ Kevin Whately
Price: CDN$ 14.99
12 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars We felt that the stories were still good and also that DI Lewis did let DI Hathaway ..., Dec 1 2014
This review is from: Inspector Lewis: Series 7 (DVD)
It was rather an interesting way to deal with "DI Lewis" with his 'supposed retirement' and maybe this was just the way that it was decided - by the directors et al - for this series to start fresh with "DI Hathaway" taking on the main role and to finally let go of DI Lewis.

We felt that the stories were still good and also that DI Lewis did let DI Hathaway basically run the show even though it seemed hard for DI Lewis to do so and 'actually retire'.

As for continuing on with this series and having Hathaway take over the roll the same way DI Lewis did after Morse retired from his role, I will have to see a movie preview before I actually buy another of this series IF it is decided that this series will be continued on.

Jeff Dunham: All Over the Map [Import]
Jeff Dunham: All Over the Map [Import]
Price: CDN$ 19.18
10 used & new from CDN$ 13.97

2.0 out of 5 stars From my perspective I also feel that it was 'too political' for my liking to actually really enjoy it like I did his other DVD's, Dec 1 2014
This DVD was - we found - a bit too scattered. Sometimes you didn't even remember where he was at when he was doing each 'comedy routine'. From my perspective I also feel that it was 'too political' for my liking to actually really enjoy it like I did his other DVD's.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Bilingual)
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Gerard Butler
Price: CDN$ 9.47
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.47

4.0 out of 5 stars The movie was enjoyable just as much as the first ..., Dec 1 2014
The movie was enjoyable just as much as the first one was. It was worth the money I paid for it.

Edmunds Wood Embroidery Hoop with Round Edges, 9-Inch
Edmunds Wood Embroidery Hoop with Round Edges, 9-Inch
Price: CDN$ 5.30
4 used & new from CDN$ 5.30

4.0 out of 5 stars 9 inch and 10 inch Embroidery Hoops, Oct. 5 2014
These hoops I use for doing my counted cross-stitch projects and patterns instead of using the big huge frame I have. These hoops are great because they give you quite a bit of room to do a fairly large patch on your counted cross-stitch pattern. Also, if you plan on going somewhere - like a holiday or a Dr.'s office- and want to take the work with you for something to do, you can because if you have a good 'craft carrying bag' these hoops will - most of the time fit into your 'craft carrying bag'. I have used many of the different sizes of these kind of hoops (7-12 inch size hoops) and for the large and medium sized projects I do, they are the 'ideal' size for what I use them for. The 12 inch hoops I've used are not quite as good, but the rest of the other size hoops I mention are good enough for what I use them for. As for wearing out - most things these days do 'wear out' after a while, but I find I get a lot of use out of them BEFORE they become 'useless'. When that is the case it is usually because the screw on this hoop gets stripped and when that happens it is then unusable. Other than that, it is a great product for a reasonable price.

Case Logic DCB-304 High/Fixed Zoom Camera Case, Black
Case Logic DCB-304 High/Fixed Zoom Camera Case, Black
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 22.84
19 used & new from CDN$ 20.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with the new camera I bought, July 9 2014
Nothing really fit very well in this camera case for my new camera which was a Canon. Sent it back and will at least now get a refund for a 'not so great product'.

dCables Canon PowerShot SX510 HS HDMI Cable - HD Video Cable for Canon PowerShot SX510 HS

1.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with either my new HP Laptop and husband's desktop, July 9 2014
I bought this USB cable so I could connect my new camera (SX510 HS Digital Camera) that I had bought and when I finally received this cable and tried to use it, it would NOT work either my laptop or my husband's desktop both of which are HP's. I was rather disappointed about this, but I, at least, got the refund I wanted back for this problem of it not being a usable product for my computer and the camera I bought.

Offered by E-TRONIX
Price: CDN$ 249.99
6 used & new from CDN$ 249.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Digital camera is NOT ALL IT'S CRACKED UP TO BE!!!!!, June 20 2014
I bought this based on the many reviews I'd read about this. I don't like it because I have now had to send it back for a refund.
1) the directions or manual on how to set things up with this camera is VERY CONFUSING at the least!
2) wasn't worth the price I paid for it
3) it tells me at too late of a time that a USB cable is to be used so you can connect your camera's pictures to your laptop or computer to view them. -- You have to order that AS WELL BEFORE ANY OF THIS WILL WORK.
4) to top things off, this USB cable that you need -- is ordered from TEXAS, USA and NOT ANYWHERE IN CANADA!!!
5) I tried to get help with someone from Canon Canada before I would consider sending this back to where I bought it from -- and even she couldn't even solve my issues as to WHY the USB port cable for this camera was not working -- as for my laptop and everything else, they were in good working order.
6) If everything becomes this difficult to figure out how to operate AND the Canon people can't even help you, it really makes me wonder whether or not buying things like this ARE worth what people say.

Until they can come up with an easier way to take a picture -- sorry, I am NOT interested.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2
DVD ~ Essie Davis
Price: CDN$ 52.49
6 used & new from CDN$ 45.34

3.0 out of 5 stars bought because we liked season one, June 14 2014
I bought this because we DID like season one. My husband and I both feel though that so far of what we've seen in this series though, it is not as good as we'd hoped. As for buying season 3 of this series -- it is doubtful. We both feel that, of what we've seen so far for the first four shows, that it will be much of the same, especially when it comes to these shows having a tendency NOW to showing 'more violence that is actually necessary'. For this VERY reason, we will NOT want to buy season three if there is one that comes out.

Like Murdoch Mysteries (which is a Canadian mystery series) and the Midsomer Murder series (which is a British series), we chose NOT to continue on with those series BECAUSE of those companies having a tendency to showing more violence in them as well. We'd hoped that the Australian companies would not follow suit or BE like what most of the Candian and American police and PI series had been doing over the years, and even now, this is what has turned us off of even CONTINUING on with any of the 'series' shows that IS out there in North America. WHY these TV shows (whether they are just one hour long shows OR movie length) HAVE to show more violence to "get the story's point across and condone it too" -- to us is sad -- but true I guess.....As for us WANTING to buy more of a series of this genre, well, you have lost me as a customer unfortunately, because of that! I don't know, maybe I am crazy in thinking or feeling this way....but are we the ONLY ones that feels this way???? Well, I guess if that is true, then it is very sad......VERY SAD INDEED!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20