Profile for Anon E. Mous > Reviews

Content by Anon E. Mous

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Anon E. Mous "Anon" (Ontario, Canada)

Breaking Dawn
Breaking Dawn
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: CDN$ 17.32
211 used & new from CDN$ 0.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for fiction, Nov. 17 2008
This review is from: Breaking Dawn (Hardcover)
I haven't read all of the comments to see if I am the oldest one to leave one, but at 50 yrs old, I just might be. My son gave me the first book for my birthday because he knows I read a lot, and read vampire stuff. He probably heard kids talking at school and thought it would be a good choice for me. At first I wasn't sure if I would finish it or not when I found out the characters were still in high school because most of the books I read have characters in their mid-twenties and up. Well, I finished the book in 1.5 days and had all 4 of them read within a week. Regardless of the age of the characters, I liked how the stories blended together and how the vampire/werewolf characteristics were portrayed...even if different from the general vampire perceptions.

I have to admit that I rolled my eyes a few times over how Bella reacted to stuff, but not sure if I match what others thought. Firstly, Bella gives the impression of low self-esteem when starting high school. I got the distinct impression that she isn't an attractive girl at all, but Edwards comments about "what others are thinking" gave me the clue that she may not have been a "plain jane". This perception of being outside what is popular or attractive is probably as accurate for todays kids as it was when I was in high school, but disturbing all the same.

I also found the obsession Bella has with only being with Edward to the exclusion of all else gave the wrong impression as well. Unfortunately there may be young girls that identify with this (I do remember my high school days), and I agree that it is not a healthy way of having a relationship. But considering this is fiction, balance it out with how unusual Edward is. Vampires are known for their "mesmerizing" personalities and that the heroine usually lost focus for everything around her (there are some dominant males around that can still do this). Having Edward as a boyfriend that your other friends avoid (again very possible), but whose siblings don't mix well with the local crowd gives the sense of separation. All of these things combined create an environment for Bella to have a very narrow field of focus.

To bring the book down because Bella doesn't aim for a career and college, and only wants to be with Edward isn't fair either. Out of 4 grown daughters (married, etc) 3 went to college and only 2 finished. One married while still in high school, one shortly afterwards, and one cut her college career short specifically because the boyfriend wanted her home (he was afraid to lose her). All of them are still married with kids. We told all of them to aim for a career and college/university education...just like Charlie does with Bella....but I also know from experience that an opinion is only that...an opinion, which can be accepted or ignored to suit the situation and the ending the person wants to achieve. Heck, even Edward wants her to go off to college for the experience!

There were great parts in the books and parts that were a little young for this 50 year old, but a good story anyway. I love happy endings and if you can manage to remember that it is just fiction...it is a good read.