Profile for R. J. Keenan > Reviews

Content by R. J. Keenan

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

R. J. Keenan (Vancouver, BC, Canada)

Save the Cat! Goes to the Movies: The Screenwriter's Guide to Every Story Ever Told
by Blake Snyder
31 used & new from CDN$ 17.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, read it, re-read it, keep it by your workstation., Nov. 26 2007
A user friendly book full of examples of how Blake Snyders approach to screenwriting may be applied.

Finding myself stuck one day trying to resolve the end of act two and finale in act three, I turned to this book and quickly found my problem. Blake Snyder has a unique and highly useful way of categorizing movie genres. I had thought my story was in the genre of The Golden Fleece (a hero's journey). Flipping through this book I realized I was actually writing in the genre of The Fool Triumphant. Upon realizing this and recognizing the guidelines for writing in that genre, I immediately began to see my way through the problems and find the solutions. My story is much more interesting, dramatic and comedic as a result.

I hope it can be as valuable for you as it has been for me.

Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need
by Blake Snyder
Price: CDN$ 15.12
40 used & new from CDN$ 10.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Much More Than the Cat..., Nov. 26 2007
Read this, re-read this, go to a seminar if you can. It will save you time, headaches and make your story much better.

This book has helped me immensely in terms of gaining clarity, focus, and a much more compelling and entertaining story. Many of us start the writing process with a character, a scene (that we get attached to), and then try and string it together with some rambling story. This book with help you avoid that trap.

Both movies goers and producers make many of their decisions based on a one or two line summary of a project. STC shows you how to develop a killer logline (one line summary). If you do this and cannot get anyone interested in your idea, why would you continue to write until you can make it interesting? If you have a weak logline, believe me, the screenplay will not get better as you expand from one sentence to one hundred pages! STC gives great guidelines and a beat sheet to help avoid this. However, it is still your responsibility to come up with that great idea.

This is one of the best, most user friendly books in the genre that I have read. His second book is highly recommended also.

Writing a Great Movie: Key Tools for Successful Screenwriting
Writing a Great Movie: Key Tools for Successful Screenwriting
by Jeff Kitchen
19 used & new from CDN$ 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Add this to your writers toolbox., Feb. 4 2007
Jeff Kitchen's book has had a profound and dramatic impact on my screenplay. Most "other authors" in this area have this top-down approach where they state "something happens here to kick start things" and "then a decision is made by the Protagonist and the direction of the story changes."

The tools presented in this book help you develop a compelling dramatic story from the bottom-up, anchoring Theme, Dilemma, Crisis, Action, Decision and Resolution to the spine of the story.

Brainstorming tools like The 36 Dramatic situations and The Enneagram have added depth and color to the story, characters and dramatic situations.

The Sequence, Proposition and Plot tool shows you how to identify and keep to the core of your story (easier said then done), keep it tight and logical, and get rid of waste.

The Conflict Map is an incredible tool that provides a top-down look at the screenplay, and helps identify where conflict (drama) is missing. It also shows how to keep audiences on the edge of their seat by raising the central dramatic question, and anchoring conflict between the Protagonist and Antagonist to the backbone of your story.

Bottom-line - I could not have raised the level of my writing to the degree to which I have without the help of Jeff Kitchen's work. Buy it - and if you can ever have the pleasure of attending one of his seminars, do it, as you will not regret your decision.