Profile for Eric Tilenius > Reviews

Content by Eric Tilenius

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Eric Tilenius "tilenius" (San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States)

National Geographic Traveler: China
National Geographic Traveler: China
by Damian Harper
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to doing advanced research!, March 10 2002
I ordered five different guidebooks on China to plan an upcoming trip. This one was defintitely the best at giving an overview of the various cities and attractions -- the descriptions are just the right length to give you a good overview, the book doesn't shy from giving recommendations and opinions, and there are many beautiful pictures to give you a better sense of each place. My wife and I both fought over this book as the one to read before our trip! NOTE: this is NOT a subsititute, but rather a complement, for a book that lists hotels, restaurants, etc. -- it does not give all the useful info. We'll probably leave it behind when we go on our trip, but will be very grateful we were able to use it in planning where to go, especially for a country as vast as China. This is the perfect "advanced reading & planning book" -- by far our favorite for China!

Space Collection: IMAX
Space Collection: IMAX
DVD ~ James Buchli
Price: CDN$ 39.98
19 used & new from CDN$ 27.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful & inspiring!, Oct. 13 2001
This review is from: Space Collection: IMAX (DVD)
These DVD's contain some of the finest video of space and of our planet Earth. Taken over many missions and years by the astronauts in high-definition IMAX film, there are some truly georgeous and inspirational shots here.
It's a fantastic collection, and really should be in every video library! I love each tape but am particularly fond of "Destiny in Space". Also includes footage from the Russian MIR space station.

First Landing
First Landing
by Robert Zubrin
18 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Zubrin is one of the great visionaries of our time!, Aug. 6 2001
This review is from: First Landing (Hardcover)
This is the first fiction book by Bob Zubrin, author of the highly acclaimed book "The Case for Mars". As with writers such as Isaac Asimov and Sir Arthur Clarke, Zubrin displays a huge talent for writing BOTH science AND science fiction, and First Landing is a great showcase for this talent! I would argue that Bob Zubrin is also one of the greatest visionaries of our time, someone whose work should NOT be missed.
First Landing tells the story of the first human landing on Mars. It's an intriguing tale, made all the more plausible and realistic by the fact that Zubin is one of the leading scientists working on plans to explore -- and settle -- the Red Planet.
After Hollywood trash such as "Red Planet", First Landing is a breath of fresh air! If only they had (or perhaps they will or should!) turn First Landing into a movie. It would be fabulous.
If you have any interest whatsoever in Mars or in human space exploration -- or even if you are just looking for a book that will portray a thought-provoking glimpse of the future, I can definitely recommend First Landing.
(I also highly recommend Bob Zubrin's other books, "The Case for Mars" and "Entering Space". If you haven't read those, pop those books in your Amazon cart along with First Landing!)

How to Probate an Estate in California
How to Probate an Estate in California
by Julia Nissley
5 used & new from CDN$ 4.53

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on the topic, May 21 2001
I ordered several books on estates and what to do after someone passes away; after reviewing all of them, this is THE book I really used. It was the most complete, helpful, and accessible book on the topic. Also, note that it does NOT just deal with Probate -- my situation did not involve probate (fortuntaely!), but I still found this book invaluable in helping me know what to do about all the various matters after my mother passed away. I highly recommend this book.

Back to the Moon
Back to the Moon
by Homer Hickam
26 used & new from CDN$ 1.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, gripping near-term science fiction!, Dec 17 1999
This review is from: Back to the Moon (Hardcover)
I was captivated by this book -- it's a great story and really makes you realize that we SHOULD be going "Back to the Moon" -- space is our future!