Profile for Steven R. McEvoy > Reviews

Content by Steven R. McEvoy
Top Reviewer Ranking: 55

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Ultimate Guide To Rebounding Exercise: How To Use A Mini Trampoline Rebounder To Transform Your Health And Fitness (rebounding, rebounding exercise, ... rebound exercise, mini trampoline)
Price: CDN$ 1.09

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better, July 30 2015
To be honest this book was not bad, but it was not great either. After finishing it - it felt sort of ho-hum. Other than chapter 6 on Advanced rebounding exercises there was little in the book you could not quickly find on numerous websites with information on rebounding or use of mini trampolines. Other than this information being radially available on numerous websites the book also included no pictures. For a book on fitness practice I found this highly unusual and extremely disappointing.

The sections in the book are as follows:

Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Rebounding Exercise
Chapter 2 Benefits of Rebounding exercise
Chapter 3 FAQ
Chapter 4 Tips
Chapter 5 Rebounding for beginners
Chapter 6 Advanced rebounding exercise
Chapter 7 Special considerations
Conclusion

I did give this book a 3 out of 5 stars even with my issues, that was in part because the writing is very good, excellent grammar and formatting. But as stated other than Chapter 6 it was really a waste of time. Comparing it to 3 other books I have read on this topic this was the weakest in terms of both content and delivery of that content the complete lack of photo's. The book reads as a collection of information gathered from other sources and with no photo's little effort or work was put into the compilation of the content. If I were you I would just skip this one and try one of the other offerings.

by Albert E. Carter
14 used & new from CDN$ 2.76

5.0 out of 5 stars As Carter said you need to either prove, disprove or use the concepts presented., July 26 2015
It is strange how some books come across our paths. This book was given to me by my 72 year old mother in law. She has been using a rebounder daily for a few months now and wants to get one for us and the kids. But she wanted me to read the book first. And I must be honest going back and reading a fitness book from a fad from the 70's and 80's was a little different. Yet the more that I read the more interested I became. Since then I have read this book twice, looked at a few other books about Rebound Exercise, and yet this older book has some great material, excellent scientific research and I became more and more intrigued. Doing some research I came up with this timeline of rebounding:

1936 Nissen Corporation creates modern Trampoline
1975 Victor Green patented Small trampoline - Rebounder
1977 pamphlet "Rebound to Better Health"
1979 Albert E Carter publishes The Miracles of Rebound Exercise
1981 Dr Kenneth Cooper research rebounding get 25% more gains than jogging
1981-1985 The Far-Craze Phase of rebounding
1988 publishes "NEW Miracles of Rebound Exercise"
2005 Publishes "Rebound Exercise: The Ultimate Exercise for the New Millennium"

In this book Albert Carter goes through his own history and research and also shares numerous testimonies from people who have used the practice of rebound exercise to improve their lives. Now yes the book is dated and there are some newer versions but Albert and numerous other authors. For example on p. 85 it states "Although most of us have some hidden desire to be like Charles Atlas or Bruce Jenner, we recognize the improbability and are willing to settle for some exercise program that will merely help us endure to the end." Now today in 2015 I am not sure a lot of guys would want to look like Bruce Jenner, but the concept still holds. The other quote that really grabbed me was on p. 102 "Your challenge is to study the concepts of this book and either prove, disprove, or use these concepts for better health."

Table of Contents:
A Safe Answer to Jogging
And The Eyes of the Blind Shall See
Startling Breakthrough in Education
Success Stories

Now having read the book through twice, now I will share my story. I tweaked my knee a number of weeks before writing this review. It was progressively getting worse. I was at my mother in laws and in a fair bit of pain and thought what have I got to lose. So I got on the rebounder in the living room, actually limping to it. Very gingerly I started with the Health Bounce feet not even leaving the surface. I did a hundred bounces very gently and then 100 more - more vigorously. Then I did 100 jumps and 100 twist jumps. When I got off there was no longer any pain. I slept through that night for the first time in weeks without waking up to knee pain. And it felt better for days after.

I am looking forward to getting our rebounder and maybe even one for my standing desk at work and getting on it the 3 to 5 times a day recommended and seeing what happens. As Carter said you need to either prove, disprove or use the concepts presented. My own limited use and my mother in laws testimony both prove it, so I suggest you track down one of his book read it and give rebounding a try! You really have nothing to lose but maybe your pain, your discomfort and you can gain greater health and wellness.

The only hard part is all of his book currently are out of print and no ebook editions seems to exist but we can hope for either a reprinting or ebook versions again soon.

by Albert E. Carter
12 used & new from CDN$ 40.25

1936 Nissen Corporation creates modern Trampoline
1975 Victor Green patented Small trampoline - Rebounder
1977 pamphlet "Rebound to Better Health"
1979 Albert E Carter publishes The Miracles of Rebound Exercise
1981 Dr Kenneth Cooper research rebounding get 25% more gains than jogging
1981-1985 The Far-Craze Phase of rebounding
1988 publishes "NEW Miracles of Rebound Exercise"
2005 Publishes "Rebound Exercise: The Ultimate Exercise for the New Millennium"

Table of Contents:
A Safe Answer to Jogging
And The Eyes of the Blind Shall See
Startling Breakthrough in Education
Success Stories

The Warden-Watch (The Annals of Myrtle and The Blood King Book 1)
The Warden-Watch (The Annals of Myrtle and The Blood King Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning, July 12 2015
I have read a few books by Anthony, A.R. Horvath over the last 8 years. I have always been impressed with his writings, but there is something about this one that really grabbed me as a reader and kept me glued to the pages. Also I am looking forward to sharing this book with my children when they get a little older.

This story may seem like a strange mash-up, it had Big Foot, Dracula, a young boy who gets caught in a great adventure, angels, demons, and the legacy of Jesus Christ. Casey is a young boy out exploring his back yard when he sees a shadow that does not make sense, using a bit of cunning, and a few ticks he has collected in his bag he ends up catching hold of a Big Foot, only to be whisked away into their realm. But even there things are not always as they appear.

This story is tightly written. Casey is an interesting young hero and his Great Great Great … Aunt Myrtle has a story most would not believe. The pace was great and it ends with a killer cliff hanger ending.

I do not know how many books Horvath has planned for this series but I can only hope it is a few because this one was a great read!

The Secrets of Droon #2: Journey to the Volcano Palace
The Secrets of Droon #2: Journey to the Volcano Palace
Price: CDN$ 3.82

4.0 out of 5 stars A great adventure continues, June 30 2015
I was right to be leery of starting a series with over 40 books! For now not only am I addicted to these books but my children are also. I am reading ahead of them and reading them a few chapters each night before bed. They love the story so far, and I am thoroughly enjoying it also. To be honest I have yet to read anything by Tony Abbott that disappointed. And going back and reading some of his earlier works has been a blast both for me and for the kids.

Droon is an interesting world to visit. For when we go there always seems to be a task for Neal, Julie and Eric to complete. And this time is no different. This time they join Princess Keeah, the wizard Galen Longbeard, and we meet new creatures the lumpies and go on an adventure. In the first adventure in Droon the Eye of Dawn a crystal that can control nature was lost to the evil Sparr. In this story our team of adventures head to his secret hideout inside a volcano to try and retrieve it. We also find out that not all things are as they appear, and some who work for Sparr might even be forced to do so. Can the team get into the volcano, can they find the Eye of Dawn, can they get back out again. Come read the story and find out.

Droon is becoming a fun place to visit time and time again. And this story has a bit of everything, a magic doorway, strange creatures, adventure, friendship, the desert, a secret lair and a hook at the end to bring you back again! As mentioned I am enjoying reading the stories, and my kids are also, and hopefully in a few years the younger kids will be able to reread these books to me. But for now Droon is a great part of family reading time.

The only real drawback is it was only after starting the series that I discovered that only the first 10 books are available electronically at the moment. I can only hope the rest become available quickly, especially at the pace we are reading them. This was the 17th book by Tony Abbott I have read, and a number of those I have read twice. His stories always entertain, and now my kids are at an age where I am starting to share his great book with them. Tony has over 100 books published so check out The Secrets of Droon of some of his other stories they will not disappoint.

The Secrets of Droon #1: The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet
The Secrets of Droon #1: The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet
Price: CDN$ 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning now 40 more to go!, June 25 2015
I must admit I was learn of starting this book. It is hard to imagine starting a new series with over 40 books in it that was started 16 years ago. I feared loving the book and being hooked for the whole series. And as much as I love most of Tony Abbott's books that I have read I also feared not liking it and being disappointed. With mixed feelings I must say it is the first. I now have a much bigger to read pile thanks to venturing into the world of Droon.

I find I go through spurts reading middle grade, young adult, and non-fiction almost alternately. I am really glad I picked up this book. My oldest two children are just at the point where they can read these books to me. It has been really fun going back and reading some of Tony Abbott's earlier works now that they are showing up in ebook formats. This book though simple, was very enjoyable and I know my children will love it. And the benefit is that being part of a finished series they will not have to wait for new books to come out.

This is an interesting fantasy story. For when Julie, Neal, and Eric are cleaning the basement they discover that when the door under the stairs is closed a set of steps appear leading down, those steps lead to another realm, the realm of Droon. They soon realize that Droon is a place in turmoil and after encountering red shiny men, flying lizards, And angry wizard named Sparr and some other fantastical creatures, and a princess that needs their help. And much more. Overall a great little read.

This was the 16th book by Tony Aboott that I have read out of his 100 published. It was a fun read and I look forward to where the series will go next. So give it a try and see, you just might fall in love with Droon also!

Hidden Strengths: Unleashing the Crucial Leadership Skills You Already Have
Hidden Strengths: Unleashing the Crucial Leadership Skills You Already Have
by Milo Sindell
Price: CDN$ 16.89
33 used & new from CDN$ 12.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Focus on that 70%, June 17 2015
This is a book designed to help you get the best return on your investment for personal leadership development. The main focus is finding the middle 70%, not the 20% of key strengths you already exhibit, nor the bottom 10% that are you main weaknesses but that middle ground that you can learn to make small changes at and focus on making changes there. Based on the studies they provide if you only focus on your key strengths you will become stagnant, and to quote Steven Brust:

"Failure leads to maturity
Maturity leads to success
Success leads to stagnation
Stagnation leads to failure!"

If you only rely on your strengths you will eventually either fail or become redundant. But on the other end of the spectrum if you try and change your greatest weaknesses, not only will it take a lot of effort but often there is very little return on investment. The amount you can make changes here is small. However on the other hand if you pick a skill or two in that middle ground and consistently work at you can turn them into key strengths. They will not take nearly the effort of your bottom 10% and the results will be much more dramatic.

The sections in the book are:

Part 1 About Hidden Strengths
1. What Are Hidden Strengths?

Why Hidden Strengths?

Accessing Your Free Hidden Strengths Profile
Acknowledgements
Index
About the Authors

This book was a great read and I have already recommended it to a number of people. It clearly lays out the why - focus on the middle 70%, and only focus on changing 1 or 2 at a time. The how - do the online survey, find your area's and work on them diligently. With the book you get access to the survey and can do it as many times as you need. After you get your results you apply Part three from the book and work on them and turn them into true strengths.

This is an excellent read and I highly recommend it and know I will be using the tools it provides to help me grow that middle 70% and you can also!

Fit Dad Cooking: A tasty tale.
Fit Dad Cooking: A tasty tale.
Price: CDN$ 9.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing guidebook!, June 9 2015
This is the second book published by Mark and to be honest with each book I have a great desire for more output from this author. I met Mark through DDP Yoga community. He is a man who has transformed his life and now has a passion for helping others to make changes themselves. This cookbook will wet you appetite, give you some great jumping off points and serve as a reminder that healthy nutritious food can be amazing to prepare and share.

The layout and design of this book is amazing. I will be honest the first thing I do when I look at a cookbook is flip through the pages and see what photo’s catch my eye, with this one almost every page did and I stopped flipping and started reading pretty quickly. One of the greatest strengths of this books is Mark’s friendly style, he encourages experimentation, and he states “Have fun with the recipes and by all means, make them your own.” For me recipes have always been a starting point, Mark not only encourages that he offers a number of variations or options for modifying on almost every recipe. In fact my only criticism of the book is that Marc said there are no desserts because he does not bake. But I would love to see what he could come up with non-baked desserts, homemade sorbet, fruit or veggie desserts that surprise and amaze. I am sure he could impress himself and us if he gave it a try.

This is an incredible cook book. Not just because it has great recipes that you can copy verbatim. But because it is a guide to cooking. It will be a starting point to help you become a great cook through trial and error. And like some example in the book sometimes mistakes create something completely unexpected that becomes awesome in its own right; see the example of falling up! So get the book, read it and get experimenting in the kitchen and pretty soon you too can be healthier, wiser and enjoying your time in the kitchen!

Learn to Read  with Great Speed! Only 10 minutes a day! (How to Change Your Life in 10 Minutes a Day Book 2)
Learn to Read with Great Speed! Only 10 minutes a day! (How to Change Your Life in 10 Minutes a Day Book 2)
Price: CDN$ 1.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource!, May 14 2015
When someone heard I was reading this book they asked why. I read on average over 100 books a year. My reading speed is over 400 words per minute. But it was not always that way. I have a dual form of dyslexia and came out of grade 7 reading at a grade 3 level and went into grade 8 reading at a University level because I spent my whole summer break in school learning how to read. With this book you can achieve that in just 10 minutes a day! My answer was threefold, first I am always looking to improve and grown and second I often get asked for book reconditions for people looking to read more. And third I have loved all of Michal's books that I have read and want to read his complete cannon. Up until now I would always recommend either The Coles Notes Your Guide To Speed Reading or Teach Yourself Speed Reading from the Work Smarter series. Both of which I have read and recommended to numerous people who have had success in increasing their reading speed. But now my first pick now will be Michal's book!

Like the other books in the 10 Minutes a Day series this book follows a simple format but presents a lot of great information in a small concise package. The sections in the book are:

10 Minutes
Speed Reading Obstacles
Techniques
Program
Free Resources
The Stories
Nathaniel's Story
My Story
Conclusion

Early on Michal states: "Your background, your education, your interests, your general knowledge - all these factors influence your reading speed, because they determine your vocabulary and your reading confidence." And from my previous reading and experience that is very true. But based on Michal's story: "I'm living proof that a 10-minute practice can be fruitful. I can read more than 50% of what I read a year ago within the same time. I can read 90 minutes a day (including the speed reading practices) and still read the same amount of text that used to take me two hours to read a year ago." And that can be true for you also. So pick up the book and give it a try. As Michal declares "Value your time. Your time is your life. Start today, grab a book and use your finger as a pointer, or read and simultaneously pat your thigh rhythmically. Just for ten minutes. Discover that there is no magic in speed reading and keep practicing." And who knows what your reading speed may become, you will have more time to read or for other activities. Basically it is a win win situation for you.

How To Do A Handstand: Learn To Balance A Fearless Handstand In 20 Days Or Less
How To Do A Handstand: Learn To Balance A Fearless Handstand In 20 Days Or Less
Price: CDN$ 3.28

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, May 12 2015
Few books that I can recall ever reading were as disappointing as this one. This book was the first Kindle book that I have read after reading it completely. Basically the book is a short paragraph and then a link to a youtube video. The descriptions of the youtube video's overlap with the content in the book for that specific chapter. So you pay for the ebook and get links to publically available videos on the author's channel.

If you ever watched Friends, and how most of the gang respond to Janice's voice is like listening to Robin's video's. The only reasons I gave the book a 1 star and not 0 star rating, is that my reaction to his voice I know will not be all people's and second, some people might actually be able to use this to learn to do handstand. Second you cannot actually give it less than 1 star. For me it just would not work and paying for links to public video's seems ridiculous.

So my opinion of this book is it is less of a book and a brochure you buy with links to the real content.

Greatly disappointed and really cannot recommend it to anyone. I cant even give it an A for effort.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20