Profile for Ithica 27o9 > Reviews

Content by Ithica 27o9

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ithica 27o9 (Toronto)

Information Retrieved
Information Retrieved
Price: CDN$ 16.73
21 used & new from CDN$ 10.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful Music, Dec 24 2013
This review is from: Information Retrieved (Audio CD)
All of Pinback's albums are great, but they have continued to refined their craft, this album is the result. It sounds great on first listen, but the deeper you listen, the better it gets. The interplay between the different instruments and vocals on this record is tremendous. That both guys are both multi-instrumentalists... lends their songwriting a depth that I think is unmatched today. No other band could even begin to attempt to sound like these guys. Unfortunately at this point I don't really know how to describe their sound, aside from just the usual 'indie rock', so I'd just say that if their sound appeals to you at all at first glance, get it. It will only get better. Even my wife (who's not naturally a big rock fan) loves Pinback after having heard them a bit.

PS: I also saw the US review below by Zach's wife. Sugoku kawaii!!!

PPS: Sorry this review is a bit lame, I've had a few this evening (morning,actually).

The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook: Your Guide to the Best Foods on Earth
The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook: Your Guide to the Best Foods on Earth
by Diana Shaw
Price: CDN$ 37.95
30 used & new from CDN$ 3.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Had this book for years...., Jan. 8 2013
... and I still go back to it occasionally. My perspective is this: This book offers a good overview of basic recipies, ingredients, and techniques (which was very useful when I was a beginning cook). However, the recipes do suffer a bit from being a bit rudimentary (especially now since I'm a decent cook), and from wanting to cut a bit more fat than is necessary. However, they still get points for being from scratch and not taking shortcuts. So, if you're a beginner cook, I highly recommend this. If you've got some experience with cooking, you might want to get something else with more recipes beyond the basic. My favourite veg cookbook is Didi Emmonds' Vegetarian Planet, FWIW.

Casa
Casa

5.0 out of 5 stars Great disc....., July 6 2012
This review is from: Casa (Audio CD)
This will be short, but I see that this seems to be out of print. It really needs a re-release. I found it used a while ago, after looking for it for a while (being a big fan of both Sakamoto and Jobim). It's just tremendous. I don't write a lot of reviews, but all I can say is that if you're interested enough in this to be looking at it, you really need to track it down one way or the other. It's a great listen. Totally respectful tribute to Jobim, but still brings a great new take on the tracks. The enthusiam of Sakamoto Ryuichi and the husband/wife duo is palpable throughout. One of the best, if not the best, Sakamoto recordings. 9 thumbs way up.

The Fountain (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
The Fountain (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: CDN$ 6.49
26 used & new from CDN$ 1.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, July 3 2007
I had to write a review after seeing what's already here. The Fountain might be the best movie I've seen. It is both visually stunning and has a very powerful message. It is a cohesive film, but it takes a bit of effort to get into. I was still thinking about it for days after I saw it. If you don't like things on the abstract side, and are looking for easy entertainment, don't see this film. If you're after something a bit more cerebral and artful, give it a try, it is extremely rewarding.