march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for Ithica 27o9 > Reviews

Content by Ithica 27o9

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ithica 27o9 (Toronto)

Actress DJ-Kicks
Actress DJ-Kicks
Price: CDN$ 20.25
39 used & new from CDN$ 12.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Mix of Leftfield Techno, Dec 6 2015
This review is from: Actress DJ-Kicks (Audio CD)
Tremendous mix of leftfield techno. A little more beat-driven and dancefloor-friendly, and less abrasive (all things being relative) than you might expect, EQ'd to emphasize the low end a bit. I've never gotten into Actress' own productions much before, but I'll definitely have to fix that after having heard this mix. You can really hear where he's coming from here, and I dig it. I've been listening to the DJ-Kicks series almost since it started and it's always been top notch, but since it started again a few years ago I was shocked to be even more impressed by the quality, and also how some releases like this are really on the cutting edge. Killer.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
by Rick Bunsen
Price: CDN$ 5.99
129 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars The version I got (with the cover pictured here) is a lame story involving a snow monster and an 'island of ..., Dec 6 2015
I bought this thinking it would be a classic story along the lines of the song. Reading some of the older reviews on here, it seems the current version is different from the one referred to in some of the older reviews. The version I got (with the cover pictured here) is a lame story involving a snow monster and an 'island of abandoned toys'. It seems this version is from a movie or something, which I can't comment on, but this book version is really half-baked and heavy-handed in its message (misfits are valuable). And a bit creepy in the way it goes from scary (people about to get eaten by a monster) to silly, right no the same page.

I say this version is different because one of the older reviews specifically mentions that their book does NOT feature the snow monster. Anyway, I don't like this book at all, but I gave it an extra star because my daughter actually seems to not mind it, she requested it for storytime tonight. Hopefully that doesn't last too long.

That's Not My Monster
That's Not My Monster
by Fiona Watt
Edition: Board book
Price: CDN$ 11.95
38 used & new from CDN$ 1.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, Oct. 19 2014
This review is from: That's Not My Monster (Board book)
The 'That's Not My...' series is great. Keeps my baby (I started with them when she was just a few months old) engaged with the tactile stimulation and the great simple illustrations. And I know she'll continue to like them as she learns more. You certainly don't need them all, because they tend to reuse a lot of the same touchy materials throughout the series (how could they not?). But I definitely like '...Monster' a lot, and it complements '...Dragon' and '....Lamb', I find, since there's not a lot of repetition across those titles.

That's Not My Dragon
That's Not My Dragon
by Fiona Watt
Price: CDN$ 11.31
34 used & new from CDN$ 2.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, Oct. 19 2014
This review is from: That's Not My Dragon (Hardcover)
The 'That's Not My...' series is great. Keeps my baby (I started with them when she was just a few months old) engaged with the tactile stimulation and the great simple illustrations. And I know she'll continue to like them as she learns more. You certainly don't need them all, because they tend to reuse a lot of the same touchy materials throughout the series (how could they not?). But I definitely like '...Dragon' a lot, and it complements '...Monster' and '....Lamb', I find, since there's not a lot of repetition across those titles.

Live at Art D'lugoff's Top O (Vinyl)
Live at Art D'lugoff's Top O (Vinyl)
Price: CDN$ 82.91
13 used & new from CDN$ 79.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lost recording!!, Oct. 19 2014
Man is this a gem. Previously unknown recording, small gig apparently captured (wonderfully) by a sound engineering student. The results are great. Admittedly you'll find the sound a bit better on the Vanguard recordings, so if you don't have those then that should be your first stop for live Bill Evans. However, if you really dig a great audience recording (I do), it doesn't get much better than this one. Not totally 'hi-fi', but reasonable detail, and more importantly you feel like you're in the club, sitting down about to order a drink. Again, those new to Bill Evans will probably want to start somewhere else, but big fans will not be disappointed. The classic trio is impossible to beat, but this one has a lot to offer, and the pressing quality of these LP's is top notch. Very much recommended.

Amygdala
Amygdala
Price: CDN$ 20.12
29 used & new from CDN$ 9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars As the others have said, this album rules. ..., Oct. 5 2014
This review is from: Amygdala (Audio CD)
As the others have said, this album rules. Strange sounding, yet very accessible. Cutting edge electronic music, but totally infectious. This is DJ Koze's masterpiece. Music to get lost in. It's a long album, it's the rare case where its length is totally justified. Give it a listen, see if you don't agree.

Information Retrieved
Information Retrieved
Price: CDN$ 17.57
20 used & new from CDN$ 12.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful Music, Dec 24 2013
This review is from: Information Retrieved (Audio CD)
All of Pinback's albums are great, but they have continued to refined their craft, this album is the result. It sounds great on first listen, but the deeper you listen, the better it gets. The interplay between the different instruments and vocals on this record is tremendous. That both guys are both multi-instrumentalists... lends their songwriting a depth that I think is unmatched today. No other band could even begin to attempt to sound like these guys. Unfortunately at this point I don't really know how to describe their sound, aside from just the usual 'indie rock', so I'd just say that if their sound appeals to you at all at first glance, get it. It will only get better. Even my wife (who's not naturally a big rock fan) loves Pinback after having heard them a bit.

PS: I also saw the US review below by Zach's wife. Sugoku kawaii!!!

PPS: Sorry this review is a bit lame, I've had a few this evening (morning,actually).

The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook: Your Guide to the Best Foods on Earth
The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook: Your Guide to the Best Foods on Earth
by Diana Shaw
36 used & new from CDN$ 3.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Had this book for years...., Jan. 8 2013
... and I still go back to it occasionally. My perspective is this: This book offers a good overview of basic recipies, ingredients, and techniques (which was very useful when I was a beginning cook). However, the recipes do suffer a bit from being a bit rudimentary (especially now since I'm a decent cook), and from wanting to cut a bit more fat than is necessary. However, they still get points for being from scratch and not taking shortcuts. So, if you're a beginner cook, I highly recommend this. If you've got some experience with cooking, you might want to get something else with more recipes beyond the basic. My favourite veg cookbook is Didi Emmonds' Vegetarian Planet, FWIW.

Casa
Casa
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 114.53
4 used & new from CDN$ 109.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Great disc....., July 6 2012
This review is from: Casa (Audio CD)
This will be short, but I see that this seems to be out of print. It really needs a re-release. I found it used a while ago, after looking for it for a while (being a big fan of both Sakamoto and Jobim). It's just tremendous. I don't write a lot of reviews, but all I can say is that if you're interested enough in this to be looking at it, you really need to track it down one way or the other. It's a great listen. Totally respectful tribute to Jobim, but still brings a great new take on the tracks. The enthusiam of Sakamoto Ryuichi and the husband/wife duo is palpable throughout. One of the best, if not the best, Sakamoto recordings. 9 thumbs way up.

The Fountain (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
The Fountain (Widescreen Edition) (Sous-titres français) [Import]
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: CDN$ 7.72
26 used & new from CDN$ 1.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, July 3 2007
I had to write a review after seeing what's already here. The Fountain might be the best movie I've seen. It is both visually stunning and has a very powerful message. It is a cohesive film, but it takes a bit of effort to get into. I was still thinking about it for days after I saw it. If you don't like things on the abstract side, and are looking for easy entertainment, don't see this film. If you're after something a bit more cerebral and artful, give it a try, it is extremely rewarding.