Profile for C. Horton > Reviews

Content by C. Horton

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

C. Horton (New York)

Page: 1 | 2
Casino (Widescreen)
Casino (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 52.15
26 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This movie should be in every DVD collection..., Feb. 28 2003
This review is from: Casino (Widescreen) (DVD)
It's a classic Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci performance. These two work SO well together it's crazy!! What a fun movie!

Wiz (Widescreen)
Wiz (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Diana Ross
Offered by Round3CA
Price: CDN$ 17.98
15 used & new from CDN$ 1.58

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this movie... shhhh, don't tell anyone!, Feb. 28 2003
This review is from: Wiz (Widescreen) (DVD)
Now honestly, Berry Gordy KNEW Diana Ross was too damn old to be playing Dorothy in this movie. Diana's overly dramatic acting at times makes this movie painful to watch, but seeing a young Michael Jackson when he was still recognizable, and hearing the songs written by Quincy Jones makes up for Diana's bad acting.
At the time it was released the movie wasn't well received and I do understand why, but now it's sort of a cult classic, especially with Michael in the mix. It's worth the purchase price.

Malcolm X (Widescreen)
Malcolm X (Widescreen)
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 15.65
23 used & new from CDN$ 1.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!, Feb. 19 2003
This review is from: Malcolm X (Widescreen) (DVD)
Denzel Washington is amazing in this movie about the life of Malcom X. This is also a movie that showcases Spike Lee's movie making talents. It's obvious that he researched down to the last detail, from the clothes to the cars of the period and the slag and words that were used at the time, to make a movie that is totally realistic and grabs you right from the beginning. The first time I saw this movie I was mesmerized, particularly because I had read Malcom's autobiography, and was shocked at how true to the book this movie actually is. I commend Spike for making this movie, even though at the time there was controversey simply because of who Malcom was and what he represented. People even to this day are afraid to even speak of him. This movie encouraged me to learn more about Malcom X's life and beliefs. I highly recommend it!

Motown: Music, Money, Sex, and Power
Motown: Music, Money, Sex, and Power
by Gerald Posner
10 used & new from CDN$ 18.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Place to Start, Feb. 14 2003
I thought this book was a good place to start, as a person who wanted to know more about Berry Gordy's Motown Records and the record label that changed Black music. Posner read alot of other books, news articles and court records to compile his information and puts all of his findings here in his book, which was great for me. I would say that if you want a general overview of Motown's history, then get this book. If you want an indepth delving into Motown's history, get this book to start with. Then read other books such as Temptations, by Otis Williams, or Dreamgirl and Supreme Faith by Mary Wilson of the Supremes, or Where Did Our Love Go by Nelson George.

My Girl  Very Best Of The (Rm)
My Girl Very Best Of The (Rm)
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 101.74
6 used & new from CDN$ 21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, Jan. 20 2003
I love this compilation, especially since it has one of my favorite early Temptations songs, I Want A Love I Can See. This is the perfect CD to have if you don't have the 60+ dollars for the Emperors of Soul CD set.

For the Love of Money: A Novel
For the Love of Money: A Novel
by Omar Tyree
Price: CDN$ 13.67
68 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This Book [is bad]!, Jan. 19 2003
I wish I could find Omar Tyree, so I could hit him upside the head with this book and ask him for my money back. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE!! It moves so slowly, back and forth every other chapter between the character's life at one point in one chapter, to another point in her life maybe 5 years later in the next chapter. It got confusing and stupid, so I gave up after a few chapters. I just couldn't give this book a chance. It was so bad... that I don't think I'll ever buy another one of Omar Tyree's book again.

Hunger Point: A Novel
Hunger Point: A Novel
by Jillian Medoff
Price: CDN$ 12.99
57 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Done Yet, But It STILL Gets Five Stars!, Jan. 19 2003
This review is from: Hunger Point: A Novel (Paperback)
I haven't even finished this book yet, and I still give it 5 stars! Jillian Medoff's Frannie is going through it in this book, and I can totally relate to so many things that she's going through. I love books with real characters, real stories, and real emotions, and that's exactly what this book is all about.

Cane River: A Novel OPRA'S Book Club
Cane River: A Novel OPRA'S Book Club
by Lalita Tademy
94 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!!, Jan. 19 2003
There isn't too much to say other than that. GET THIS BOOK!! You will not be disappointed!

Temptations
Temptations
by Otis Williams
28 used & new from CDN$ 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book!, Jan. 19 2003
This review is from: Temptations (Paperback)
Once I saw the movie, I wanted to know more about David, Eddie, Paul, Otis and Melvin, so I decided to get this book so I could learn more about one of the most incredible, talented, groudbreaking not to mention classiest groups of all time. This book has a lot of info that isn't in the movie, so it was wonderful to read an account of how things really went down, especially at Motown in the early days. I finished this book in less than a week, I just couldn't put it down. This book has definitely made me a Temptations fan for life. I admire all of them and what they went through, and I especially commend Otis Williams for writing a book that discussed the good times and the bad, with class and grace. I am saddened by the fact that Eddie, David, Melvin and Paul (my favorite) aren't with us today, but their places in music history will always be remembered. A wonderful book!

Ocean's Eleven (Widescreen) (2001)
Ocean's Eleven (Widescreen) (2001)
DVD ~ George Clooney
Offered by niff78
Price: CDN$ 3.97
77 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Don Cheadle - The Most Underrated Actor in America..., Dec 8 2002
I know the big stars of this movie are George Clooney, Matt Damon and Brad Pitt, but I LOVE Don Cheadle and he brings such humor to this movie, which at times can be a bit boring. This is one of those movies that proves how slept-on Don Cheadle is as an actor!

Page: 1 | 2