Profile for CJ Gallo > Reviews

Content by CJ Gallo

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

CJ Gallo

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (3DVD)
DVD ~ Darren McGavin
Price: CDN$ 31.44
20 used & new from CDN$ 26.95

3.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time... still a fun ride :), Feb. 29 2012
I bought this series a few months ago due to a 'night shift' chat with a colleague where we were trying to stay awake by remembering some of those great old time tv shows which we really enjoyed watching when we were kids. 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' was one that really got the conversation going. Surprisingly, Amazon.ca had it so I went for it. It was a little pricey for such an old series but I was excited to see an old 'kid' favourite so I went for it.
When I got the package, I found that one of the DVD's came off it's mount and got scratched up but it played okay. This in not the best transfer I've seen and at times I had to replay parts that my player had skipped over but when I played it again it seemed to work fine. Hmmm.
That being said, I had a lot of fun going back in time watching these 1970's episodes which revealed just how far we've come 'culturally' with respect to multi-cultural sensitivity and strength of story. The story lines are simple about werewolves, vampires, aliens, voodoo, etcetera taken from classic horror stories of the past and all were told in a cheesy, tongue in cheek way which made my colleague and I laugh out loud when we saw them again 40 years later. It's kinda like watching the movie Rock Horror Picture Show... if you're looking for a straightforward 'scary' story... this it not it. But, if you want to take a trip back in time where all the current social taboos were not even considered when these episodes were written then you should enjoy it as a 'tv time capsule' item.
Darin McGavin's (Carl Kolchack) and Simon Oakland's (Tony Vincenzo) interactions as a press writer with his editor is fantastic and really keeps the fun alive in between the story lines and the rest of the cast also adds quite a bit to the enjoyment of this series as a whole. Lots of fun to see again... my only wish is that the quality of the Discs were better and that there was a special features added section for the cost (approx. $60.00) I paid for it... perhaps a revisit with living cast members or older interviews that may have been archived?