Profile for Thomas Chlebus > Reviews

Content by Thomas Chlebus

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Thomas Chlebus "Science Fiction Fan" (Sturgis, MI USA)

Resident Evil (Bilingual)
Resident Evil (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Milla Jovovich
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 24.99
43 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good movie--better than I thought it would be., June 4 2002
This review is from: Resident Evil (Bilingual) (DVD)
I have played none of the video games so I must judge Resident Evil as a movie alone, and this is a good one.
There is a disappointing beginning which sets up the movie as standard Hollywood formula (i.e. garbage). As events progress it becomes clear that the writers actually know how to make a good movie (we must keep Hollywood from killing or corrupting them!). There is a scene which looks like a formula-movie contrived ending, but it isn't the end! This gave me a letdown, followed by a swift kick; an incredibly refreshing approach to audience entertainment.
The atmosphere becomes extremely intense after the Mostly Doomed Elite Team discovers they have been lied to by their employer, the Faceless Evil Corporation. Be warned: There are a lot of cheap scares, especially with the infected bodies (zombies) and I felt that detracted from the overall effect.
I don't normally get into horror, but Resident Evil is effective. I'm already waiting for the sequel.
Wow, what a ride.

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Widescreen)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Widescreen)
DVD ~ Angelina Jolie
Offered by Now Showing DVD's
Price: CDN$ 10.64
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money., June 3 2002
In the first scene it is made clear that Lara is not in any danger, and she remains in no danger throughout the movie.
This is 90% of the plot, and the rest is even less worthy of discussion.

Stacey Q's Greatest Hits
Stacey Q's Greatest Hits
Offered by @ ALLBRIGHT SALES @
Price: CDN$ 45.85
3 used & new from CDN$ 45.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Exellent!, May 3 2002
Yes, the title could more accurately have been "Stacey Q's Only Hit." Apart from semantics this is a wonderful collection, evidently composed of pre-Better Than Heaven tracks that otherwise never got to the general public.
The first several songs are remixes from Better Than Heaven. The music is more complex without smothering Swain's voice, resulting in truly beautiful tracks.
Some of the songs have an eerie quality which departs considerably from the established "Stacey Q" sound. "Video Girl" in particular adds a dreaminess which I found compelling.
The song "Screaming in My Pillow" is noteworthy for being as close to raunchy as Stacey Q has gotten. It gets a bit funny to hear how the writer danced all around the word "sex" without ever being crass enough to use it.
This is an excellent addition to my library, and I hope the Stacey Q team has more songs waiting to be released.

Red Planet
Red Planet
VHS
5 used & new from CDN$ 5.57

1.0 out of 5 stars Competition for "Plan 9", May 3 2002
This review is from: Red Planet (VHS Tape)
Okay, I will make no comparisons. This movie is bad enough without using good ones to illuminate its failings.
First, the cliches: We have the Survivor, the Ultra-competent Woman, the Expendables (Buddy, Arrogant Jerk, 2 Miscellaneous), and the Villain. We even have a mystery. Except that the Mystery is actually just a plot device to allow the beat-the-clock plotline.
Science-fiction fans will NOT forgive Red Planet's flaws because the movie is not "reasonably intelligent." There are so many painfully glaring errors of science and internal logic that explaining them would almost amount to writing the novelization, but here is a taste:
The beginning voice-over explains that the terraforming had been proceeding well, then the oxygen levels dropped. Later it is discovered that oxygen is present in breathable amounts. Oops.
In order to be breathable, Mars's atmospheric pressure at ground level would have to become almost one THOUSAND times denser (not common knowledge, I admit, but easily found). This change would be visible to Earthbound astronomers, but apparently nobody actually looked at the planet. Oops.
It goes on and on. Good Lord, this movie is pathetic. I bought it, unwatched, because I like Mars that much. Had I known it was even worse than Starship Troopers, I would have saved my money.
It does have neat special effects, though.

The Discworld Mapp: Being the Onlie True & Mostlie Accurate Mappe of the Fantastyk & Magical Dyscworlde
by Terry Pratchett
35 used & new from CDN$ 10.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it!, Oct. 25 2001
Funny! Screechingly funny!
Pratchett skewers epic exploration, especially the arrogance which practically defined almost all dedicated explorers. I laughed out loud several times.
Yes, it does include a "mapp" of the Discworld--it folds out to poster size. You can find the places Rincewind sprinted through.