Profile for maeveobrien > Reviews

Content by maeveobrien

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

"maeveobrien" (Ireland)

Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk
Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk
Price: CDN$ 22.27
27 used & new from CDN$ 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Words Cannot Describe Anything To Do With Jeff Buckley, June 14 2002
I became a Jeff Buckley fan on first hearing "Grace" - an album that inspired me, changed my life, and made me complete. I had also bought "Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk" at the same time as "Grace", but his debut album just held me so much so that I didn't really give "Sketches..." a *real* listen until I had been truly filed by "Grace".
When making this album Jeff did not want to make a "second Grace": He had to develop, and this album shows just what a talent this man really was. Every single song on this album is on the same level as "Grace", if not higher. The songs are mature, rock-y, passionate, brave - they are songs of *emotion*. Disk One shows the songs which Jeff had made good quality recordings of, hinting that these would have made the final cut had he lived to see it. "Vancouver", "The Sky is a Landfill", "Morning Theft", "Everybody Here Wants You", and "Nightmares by the Sea" are all among my top favourite songs of all time, but to be honest, there is no one *superior* song in this collection - they are all the most beautiful, poetic and astounding pieces, I feel that have been written in at least the last twenty years. Each song helps you with different emotions - you feel and think differently during each song - they are a snippet of genius.
Disk Two is the more "sketchier" area of the CD, but this does, in no way lessen the value of the songs. "Back in NYC" really hit home to me when watching a Jeff documentary when drummer Parker Kindred says "on a bad day, the city can take your soul": this song shows Jeff knew how that felt. "Jewel Box" is perhaps the prettiest song I have ever heard in my life - and shows how poetical and sensitive Jeff could be - in stark contrast to the humourous and hot "Your Flesh is So Nice"
Truth be told, I could go over each and every one of these songs and say why it is amazing, beautiful and the work of the most gifted singer/songwriter/performer of our time, but words can't describe what you get from "Sketches..". It's that feeling of raw emotion - sadness to know he'll never be here again; the emotion of lost love, of dreaming, and any other human feeling that ahs ever existed. "Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk" is a mature album, and shows Jeff Buckley in his best light - the songs have changed my world forever, and if you buy this album, they will change you, too.
Jeff Buckley, is, in my opinion the most gifted songwriter/performer/singer of *all time*. If you don't believe me, listen to this album!

DVD ~ DVD
Offered by eplayplay
Price: CDN$ 48.93
10 used & new from CDN$ 18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, June 8 2002
This review is from: Charlotte Gray (Widescreen) (DVD)
"Charlotte Gray" is a film which has left me stunned, amazed and grateful at the chance for being able to see such brilliance. The movie consists of a simply thrilling storyline, beautiful scenery and wonderous acting on the parts of every character. It is a film for those who are willing to believe anything is possible - that "there must be something to set against all this".
Charlotte Gray is a young Scottish woman who falls in love with a soldier who goes off to WW2. His plane crashes, and so, she becomes a spy to go to Occupied France to rescue him. Upon arriving in the Vichey France; she meets a team of revolutionaries and a new, and tangled storyline emerges from there. Many criticise both book and film for shirking on the WW2 accuracy, but I feel that it *concentrates* on ceratin aspects of the War, instead of skimming over about twenty different circumstances.
Cate Blanchett is unbelievably good as Charlotte - she performs excellently and you can see how her character changes and grows throughout the film. Her stirring speech at the near the end of the movie is simply amazing - she delivers it with feeling and emotion. Billy Crudup took my breath away. He was more than fantastic in his role! He breathed life into the character of Julien, and captured my imagination with his performance. Truly excellent! Notable mentions go to all the other actors, but Billy and Cate stole the show, in my opinion.
If you are looking for a fantstic movie that will take you to another time and place, make you think, and allow you to both remember the pain and tragedy that WW2 brought; and the hope for humanity that was displayed by the brave people who fought for good - Charlotte Gray is the movie for you.
10/10 - Simply Amazing!!

DVD ~ DVD
Offered by eplayplay
Price: CDN$ 48.93
10 used & new from CDN$ 18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing!, June 8 2002
This review is from: Charlotte Gray (Widescreen) (DVD)
10/10 - Simply Amazing!!

Live At Olympia
Live At Olympia
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 32.38
12 used & new from CDN$ 8.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Feb. 3 2002
This review is from: Live At Olympia (Audio CD)
Jeff Buckley's "Live A L'Olympia" is a work of art! You can just feel the happy atmosphere in the concert, and it's like you're actually there. Jeff's Zeppelin parody is hilarious, and every song will have you either laughing or crying!
I have total respect for Mary Guibert, and for even allowing us to have this capsule of time of Jeff is too nice of her. "Live A L'Olympia" is one of my all-time favourite CD's, and you will love it too!!

Grace
Grace
Price: CDN$ 9.49
43 used & new from CDN$ 2.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly amazing.., Feb. 2 2002
This review is from: Grace (Audio CD)
Jeff Buckley's "Grace" is the best CD in my collection. It is original, beautiful, poignant and above all - a delight to listen to.
Jeff Buckley was a man of unique charisma, and you can hear it in this album - it will change your life. His *4 octave* range will stun you into amazement, and you will fall in love with this album.
Songs like "Last Goodbye" are really easy to listen to, and you will never tire of them; and his cover of "Hallelujah" is [dare I say it?] better than Leonard Cohen!
Jeff was such an amazing talent, and this is illustrated best with "Grace" - songs like "Mojo Pin", "So Real", and "Love, You Should've Come Over" will make you smile, dream and cry that this talent was lost so young.
So, even if you've never heard of Jeff Buckley before, and have just wandered to this review by fate; buy this album, and I promise you, it will change not only your very existance, but your view on music.
Before I heard Jeff I was hollow, but now I am complete..

JFK
JFK
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Question all the questions.., Feb. 2 2002
This review is from: JFK (VHS Tape)
Before I saw "JFK" I knew what, basically, everyone knows about the timeless president. I knew he was a great leader, and a good president, and that his death was a shock to the world [which illustrated how popular he was]. So, being only 15 when I first saw this film, you can forgive me for being a little ignorant about the growing resistance to JFK the President.
After watching this movie, my world changed. Oliver Stone presents the picture in a way that is so easy to understand, and he gives us all the facts, and makes the conspiracy theory easy-enough to follow. This movie will make you question everything - do the CIA and FBI have a hold over the President of the biggest countries in the world? If the said President stands up for his own beliefs, is he in danger of his very life? "JFK" tells us the answer is "yes", and shows how other Presidents will be merely puppets when forces like the Secret Service are in existence.
After watching this movie about 100 times, I can honestly say that I am never bored. It still leaves you with an ominous feeling of helplesness, and sorrow - but also makes you feel that you have been "let in" to the secret that has plauged the world since the 1960os. The actors are amazing - it is Kevin Costner in his best role [although he was, too, excellent in the 2001 film, "Thirteen Days"]. He can keep the viewer going for 3 hours of film, without growing tired, which is excellent. With excellent performances from Joe Pesci, Tommy Lee Jones and a cameo from Walter Mattheu, "JFK" will open and broaden your mind and outlook, and allow you to see oscar-winning acting: a *fantastic* movie all around!

Dogfight
Dogfight
VHS
4 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking!!, Dec 6 2001
This review is from: Dogfight (VHS Tape)
"Dogfight" is one of the most moving, and quietly stunning pictures of the last 20 years. It is the modern-day Romeo and Juliet!
River Phoenix is, as per usual, simply amazing in this movie: he was such an amazing actor. Lili Taylor can stand her ground with River, and plays Rose with charisma and power.
"Dogfight" is one of those movies you find by suprise, and watch it because there's nothing else on. But once you watch the first five minutes, I can guarantee you will love this story to the end - and want to watch it again and again. Created on a tiny budged, "Dogfight" is a movie that shows no matter how many Hollywood blockbusters are thrown at us, there is no comparison between them and the real thing.
And, believe me - "Dogfight" is not just awe-inspiring, but it puts every movie over the £2million mark to shame!