Profile for Lisa Siegel > Reviews

Content by Lisa Siegel

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Lisa Siegel (Cincinnati, OH)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
America's Sweethearts (Bilingual)
America's Sweethearts (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Julia Roberts
Price: CDN$ 14.99
89 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, Oct. 16 2003
I bought this movie mainly because Catherine Zeta-Jones, one of my favorite actresses is in it. But I thought that every single actor did a great job in this movie. It's so funny and sweet at the same time. John Cusack did, as usual, a wonderful job. He's first seen in a wellness center due to his recent break-up with his wife Gwen (Zeta-Jones). He executes the role in a wonderful way. I don't think that any other actor could have played the role any better.
Julia Roberts was wonderful too. I had never really seen her as the "sweet" one before in a movie. She is like Cinderella in a way. She plays Gwens's sister Kiki and basically does everything for her. I loved her in this movie.
Catherine was as usual, spectacular. She plays the vixen so well! That kind of role seems to fit her quite well, at least from what I have seen in "Chicago" and "Intolerable Cruelty."
Billy Crystal. What can I say about him except he's great! Stanley Tucci was quite funny too as the executive. And I loved Seth Green's character. He was just goofy. But in a good way.
Then of course you have the totally hilarious Hank Azaria. Everytime the man came on screen I laughed. He had a funny line all of the time. He is just a terrific actor in general. I also loved Chrisopher Walken. You would expect him to play this really dark, creepy guy, but instead, he doesn't. He's very...interesting. I won't give it away.
Anyway, if you love romantic comedies with lots of twists, this is the move to watch!

Price: CDN$ 13.99
24 used & new from CDN$ 5.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Done!!, Oct. 4 2003
This review is from: Chicago (Audio CD)
I bought this CD mainly because I read that Ruthie Henshall was in the London Cast recording of Chicago. I'm very glad that I did! She does a *superb* job as portraying Roxie Hart, the Vaudeville wanna-be.
Ute Lemper, who I had never heard sing before also does a wonderful job as Velma Kelly. Her rendition of "And All That Jazz" is very well done, in my opinion.
The only qualm that I had about this is that several times I could hear the cast's (mainly Henshall and Lemper) British accents coming into their singing, which made the songs not as up-to-par as I would have liked. Yet most of the songs are very well done--I do understand that it must be hard to sing with an American accent when one is of another culture.
I absolutely loved the fact that they had Roxie's monologue right before the song "Roxie." Ruthie Henshall did a splendid job with that! And I loved the act one finale. Brilliant!
All in all, this is a CD worth buying if you're a fan of this wonderful, timeless musical.

Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 24.16
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, Sept. 26 2003
This review is from: Chicago (Audio CD)
Wow, this is one incredible version of "Chicago!" Not only is it the original, but I LOVE hearing Chita Rivera sing. She is great! Her voice is quite the best for Velma Kelly. Gwen Verdon's voice wasn't quite as good, but she was wonderful as Roxi Hart. From what I have heard (I never got to see this on Broadway), her dancing is incredible. Jerry Orbach as Billy Flynn? I never thought that the leading man on "Law and Order" was in musicals! But he has a great voice and is THE Billy Flynn! The rest of the cast is wonderful as well.

Price: CDN$ 14.99
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K. Performance, Sept. 22 2003
This review is from: Chicago (Audio CD)
Chicago is one of my favorite musicals to listen to -- I have yet to actually see on the stage, but after seeing the movie and listening to that soundtrack and this soundtrack, they are very different, like I knew they would be.
First of all, Bebe Neuwirth has AMAZING talent and was the perfect Velma Kelly. Her rendition of "All That Jazz" was great, as was "I Can't Do It Alone." She is one of the best actresses to play in this role.
Ann Reinking (Roxie Hart) didn't do it for me. Her voice was so raspy and I didn't care for her song, "Funny Honey of Mine." She spoke the words way too much. When she did sing, her voice was quite good and I only wish that she had applied it to all of the songs she sang.
Joel Grey was a great Amos Hart. I simply love Joel Grey in general. He's an excellent actor.
All in all, this was a pretty good performance, with some flaws here and there.

Gypsy (1993 TV Soundtrack)
Gypsy (1993 TV Soundtrack)
Price: CDN$ 19.33
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Aug. 20 2003
I loved watching the TV version of "Gypsy" with Bette Midler, so I decided to buy the CD. I'm glad I did. Yes, it has all of the same songs that the other Gypsy soundtracks have, but Bette Midler portrays Rose very well. When I hear her sing, I feel as if I'm watching "Gypsy." She, along with the rest of the cast do a wonderful job.

DVD ~ Woody Allen
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 16.91
31 used & new from CDN$ 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Comedy!, Aug. 20 2003
I think that this is one of Woody Allen's finest comedies to date. Yes, "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan Murder Mystery" were very funny, this, in my opinion was a great triumph. He did a very good job of portraying 200 years in the future for a movie made in 1973. I highly recommend it if you need a good laugh and love Woody Allen and Diane Keaton. Both performances were *great*!!

DVD ~ Woody Allen
Offered by Warehouse105
Price: CDN$ 16.91
31 used & new from CDN$ 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Entertaining, Aug. 17 2003
I rented this movie mainly because I am a big Woody Allen and Diane Keaton fan. This movie did not fail to amaze me in what Woody Allen can do as far as directing, writing, and acting. It is quite hard to believe that this was his first film he directed! Even though it was made in 1973, the future 200 years later is portrayed incredibly! I loved the domestic robots and how people had to go into this machine to basically 'have some fun'. Diane Keaton was wonderful in this movie. Her true comic side was shining with hilarious one-liners and very silly gags. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who needs a good laugh!

The West Wing Script Book
The West Wing Script Book
by Aaron Sorkin
16 used & new from CDN$ 21.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Watching the Episode Without Turning on the TV!, Aug. 16 2003
I was so happy when the script book finally came out. Even though it only contains six scripts of Aaron Sorkin's incredible writing, it's much better than nothing at all. I found this to be just like watching the episode in my head. I guess the only thing I wish is that there were more scripts in it! Other than that, it is great. If you love "The West Wing" or Aaron Sorkin's writing, buy this. You will not be disappointed!

Sports Night: The Complete Series
Sports Night: The Complete Series
DVD ~ Josh Charles
Offered by niff78
Price: CDN$ 109.97
7 used & new from CDN$ 43.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Show Should Still be on the Air, Aug. 16 2003
"Sports Night" is not what one might think it is about when they first see the title. It is about the behind-the-scenes happenings at sports channel news network. It brings both comedy and drama to the screen with exceptional ensemble acting. Due to the fact that the ensemble was so incredible, it is impossible for me to pick a favorite. Everyone is wonderful. It is a shame that it was cancelled. I really think it had the potential of becoming a stronger show and maybe get moved to an hour instead of only being a half hour long. Aaron Sorking does an incredible job of writing several of the episodes, my favorite being "The Hungry and the Hunted." But I love them all so much and am so grateful that they are on DVD so that I can watch any episode without having to find it on a tape.

Grease II
Grease II
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 18.60
35 used & new from CDN$ 2.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to Listen to!, Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: Grease II (Audio CD)
I absolutely loved the movie "Grease 2" so when I heard the CD was available, I went ahead and bought it. All of the songs from the movie are of course there, sung by the stars. Before seeing the movie or listening to the CD, I didn't know that Michelle Pheiffer could sing! I'm glad I was wrong though. If you have the movie, or have seen it, then get this CD. You'll feel as though you're watching the movie all over again. Plus, it is just fun to listen to and sing along to!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3