Profile for Scott Mooney > Reviews

Content by Scott Mooney

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Scott Mooney

Extreme Perspective! For Artists: Learn the Secrets of Curvilinear, Cylindrical, Fisheye, Isometric, and Other Amazing Systems that Will Make Your Drawings Pop Off the Page
by David Chelsea
Price: CDN$ 15.67
45 used & new from CDN$ 14.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Perspective Book I've Seen, Dec 19 2011
I'm a veteran illustrator who has seen a lot of how-to books about art and this is one of the very best I've ever seen. Not only is this the first one I've found that actually explains how to do these advanced perspective techniques, but it's also created by an excellent instructor, David Chelsea. His first book on the more commonly known perspective techniques (called Perspective for Comic Book Artists) is the most clear and well explained book on the topic I've ever seen. This new book on these extreme perspective techniques is written in that same clear and entertaining way.

The fact that both of Chelsea's perspective books are written in a narrative format with humour and characters that you can empathize with actually makes it even easier for your brain to absorb the information, since our brains are specifically talented at absorbing information about other people and especially information with emotional content. This is why we remember more information from stories than we do from lists of data. Chelsea uses this to great effect by designing these books in a storied format rather than a plain old data based text. The narrative structure and entertainment value of the book greatly improves the stickiness of the comprehensive information it imparts.

I highly recommend both of Chelsea's perspective books mentioned here to anyone who wants to develop greater proficiency in drawing in perspective, whether it's for comic books or any other visual art medium. Even if you think you already know perspective, I think you will learn something new here, and improve upon your existing skill.

Deepak Chopra & Shekhar Kapur's Ramayan 3392 AD Volume 1: The Mahavinaash Age
Deepak Chopra & Shekhar Kapur's Ramayan 3392 AD Volume 1: The Mahavinaash Age
by Shamik Dasgupta
9 used & new from CDN$ 12.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on the outside..., Nov. 3 2011
I love Deepak, and the cover art is gorgeous... but I found the story kind of choppy and rushed, and I didn't like the interior art so much... it's kind of sloppy and chaotic. It's a good idea but I wish it had been more carefully constructed.

Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
by Marcos Mateu-Mestre
Price: CDN$ 22.36
38 used & new from CDN$ 15.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Lessons From a Master, Nov. 3 2011
Great book by a great artist. This is a true master giving you his insight. Well worth the purchase price.

by Louise Gordon
24 used & new from CDN$ 3.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Best human anatomy for artists teacher I've ever seen, Aug. 22 2011
This, and all of Louise Gordon's books, are amazing, giving the reader a deep understanding of what is really going on with the foundational structure of the body beneath the skin.

I bought one of Louise Gordon's books, "The Figure in Action", early on in my art education in the early 1990's, after which I did a very rigorous set of human anatomy courses. I've done a great deal of medical illustration for the Canadian Red Cross and for Dogs in Canada Magazine (it's amazing how much human anatomy relates to the anatomy of all mammals, and amphibians and reptiles too).

Her extremely informative illustrations are beautiful to look at and masterfully rendered. The accompanying text is very clear and tailored to be most relevant to artists. She shows not just where the muscles and bones are but also how they relate to each other to move and position the body. Muscles don't just pull the bones in a straight line. They slide and wrap and shift over and around and even through each other as we move. Gordon really helped me understand this in a way that I can apply directly to my drawings of people. I highly recommend any of her books for any artist who wants to develop an intuitive mental three-dimensional movable model of the human body. This will improve your drawings of people in any context.

How To Draw The Human Figure