Profile for Susan E. Nelson > Reviews

Content by Susan E. Nelson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Susan E. Nelson "bayougirl" (Baton Rouge, LA USA)

We Are Our Mothers
We Are Our Mothers
by Cokie Roberts
31 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Women in their 20's & 30's, July 18 2003
This review is from: We Are Our Mothers (Paperback)
I remember my mom telling me once that when she asked my grandfather for the money to take the college entrance exam he told her she should go to secretary school like all the other women. There was a time that women weren't allowed to seek their own destiny, be it successful stay at home moms or successful career women. I think my generation of women has forgotten about that and grown too comfortable with delegating our social and political responsibilities. I borrowed a copy of this book from a woman who is my mentor and bought a copy for my mom. But every woman my age and younger should read this so that they remember what came before us, and quite frankly as a career woman who still gets limited by my gender in the workplace, it is important to realize how far we've come and how far we still need to go. I didn't realize how good we have it, having lived on my own, bought my own cars and houses (the book talks about women not being extended lines of credit or losing lines of credit if their husbands died or divorced them --- as late as the 80s). The book has perhaps the best overall message that no matter what path you choose as a woman, what career or life choice, you have that choice now because of the women who came before us... our collective mothers. And it is our calling as daughters to make our mothers proud by not forgetting how valuable that choice is.

V1 How Big A Boy Are Ya?
V1 How Big A Boy Are Ya?
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 8.39
17 used & new from CDN$ 8.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Use Caution While Driving, June 30 2003
My better half and I bought this and some other comedy CDs for a recent road trip. This CD was so funny that I felt it impaired our ability to drive. We found ourselves listening intently and occasionally we'll make jokes with each other about the more memorable lines. It's not exactly high-brow humor, so don't buy this CD if redneck jokes and laughing at prank calls doesn't work for you. However, if you've ever listened to morning radio pranks and enjoyed them, you'll love this CD. It's perhaps the best set of radio pranks I've ever heard. My favorite on this one is the naval recruiter, but it's just one of many, many other hysterical phone calls.

The West Wing Script Book
The West Wing Script Book
by Aaron Sorkin
16 used & new from CDN$ 21.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Review of Script and Characters, June 30 2003
I found the West Wing Script Book to be a real page turner. Often promising my better half that I'd only read a few more pages before turning out the light, I'd be called a liar because I couldn't stop reading. The only thing that bothers me about this book is that there is a lot missing. I didn't start watching the show until the second season and I was hoping to get a glimpse of the nuances that I've missed. They weren't there and I was disappointed because the DVD is being held up on release because of some mult-million dollar deal between NBC and Bravo. It is a great book for what it is and the background about the development of the roles and characters from the shows creators are incredible. However, don't have your heart set on being told the whole story from this book because there's a lot they left out.

My Cat Spit McGee
My Cat Spit McGee
by Willie Morris
Price: CDN$ 11.67
52 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Moving Cheese, Read About Willie and His Cat, June 30 2003
This review is from: My Cat Spit McGee (Paperback)
It's a book that would be apt for anyone confronting major change in their lives. I gave it to my mother to read after her mother passed away and she said that it had such a powerful message for her to move forward and accept that things and people change over time. I went back and read it again and she was right... the book is about seeing things a different way, seeing yourself in a whole new light and accepting the forces of change that we all face. Willie Morris was an amazing writer and his books will live on for a long time as their messages go above and beyond the pop-culture moment. This book is a quick read, buy a copy and take it to the beach. I can promise it will mean something to everyone who reads it.

Music By...W.G. Snuffy Walden inc themes to West Wing, Once & Again, Felicity, Thirtysomething and more
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 39.95
6 used & new from CDN$ 10.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Composer Well Worth the Listen, June 30 2003
As one of the five people in the world who actually bought the Thirtysomething soundtrack, I was used to Walden's work as a talented composer and musician. The CD is good light music for reading, relaxing in the garden tub, or even driving if you need something to calm the road rage. CD also makes great background music at adult parties. I don't watch a lot of TV so I hadn't heard a number of the songs on there and was pleasantly surprised. Walden has his own sound and it is very distinct, if you like one of his pieces you'll probably like most of them.

Up!
Up!
Price: CDN$ 7.81
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Blend for the Eclectic Music Love, April 11 2003
This review is from: Up! (Audio CD)
As a lover of various forms of music, not just one, I think that Shania has really shown the versatility of her talents with this album. Anyone who says "this ain't country," might be right, but that doesn't make the album bad. I grew up with the country standard bareres, from George Jones to Patsy Cline and loved growing up with their music and their message. Today's artist run the gambit from the twangy sound of Toby Keith (and the Angry American message that really works in Country) to the pop cross-over sound of women like Shania and Faith. To pigeonhole an artist simply because they don't fit the "build" of their genre is reducing them to a limited field of talents. I'm sorry, but Mr. Rolen is wrong, she never broke anyone's trust because she's always been a musican and musicans owe it to us to use all of their talents to weave their craft. I love the songs from the album and since I classify myself as a country music listener, I'll buy the album again just to aggravate Mr. Rolen. I applaud Shania for breaking the mold and giving us something new and different, for if it weren't for musicians like her, we'd still be listening to the white, male-dominated music of the 50's and we'd never have the vast array of music we have today. You don't have to like it, but you should respect it. Open your mind a bit, Mr. Rolen, listen to the words and I hope you can find a music appreciation somewhere.

Stealing Home
Stealing Home
VHS
3 used & new from CDN$ 27.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie that Grows with You, March 20 2001
This review is from: Stealing Home (VHS Tape)
I think I was something like 13 or 14 the first time I saw this movie and I fell in love with it. Now at 24, I've seen the movie enough times to mouth the lines and it still has guidance about love and life and never forgetting who you are. It has been and will always be my absolute favorite movie of all time. It's for old friends who never forget their bond and Mark Harmon, Jodie Foster, even cameo of, yes, ladies and gentleman, Helen Hunt as the pregnant younger sister of Mark Harmon's character. It also has great footage of Philadelphia (the Vet, riding on a SEPTA train, etc.) all things things a native (or not so as myself) would enjoy identifying with.
Not to mention, David Foster did an incredible job with the soundtrack, one of my personal favorites.
I highly reccommend the movie, it's love, life and baseball, you just can't get any better than that!