Profile for Dana > Reviews

Content by Dana
Top Reviewer Ranking: 948

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dana

by Anne Tyler
Price: CDN$ 20.06
2 used & new from CDN$ 20.06

3.0 out of 5 stars A Quiet Family Saga, March 14 2015
This review is from: A Spool of Blue Thread (Hardcover)
I was thrilled to win a copy of Anne Tyler's latest book. It had been on my TBR list since before it was even available. Having read it now, I can say that it was not my favourite of Anne Tyler's books. The characters were fabulous and I did really love them all (Denny has a special place in my heart) but the story just didn't speak to me as much as some of her others have. The story line hopped around between generations which I found distracting. A linear story line would have made more sense to me. The one important thing I did take away from this novel is that we don't really know our parents until they are old - and then we may not know them as well as we think we do.

Susannah Morrow
Susannah Morrow
by Megan Chance
Price: CDN$ 17.03
27 used & new from CDN$ 1.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Intense, March 2 2015
This review is from: Susannah Morrow (Hardcover)
Megan Chance really brought the Salem witch trials to life. With a mix of historical fact and well written fiction woven together the madness of the times comes to life with intensity. I have read many portrayals of this time in history but never have I been so moved or involved. It astounds me that an entire state could be caught up in something so insane. I wanted to shake some sense into them all. If I have any criticism, it would be that the ending was not as satisfying as I had hoped. Still a fabulous read.

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography
Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography
by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Price: CDN$ 50.20
7 used & new from CDN$ 50.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, Feb. 28 2015
As a totally 'Little House' fanatic in my childhood, it should not be any wonder that I loved this book!! It was great to read the real story, warts and all, and the annotations provided interesting and informative asides. This is a must for all Wilder fans and American history buffs.

Our Story: Aboriginal Voices on Canada's Past
Our Story: Aboriginal Voices on Canada's Past
by Thomas King
Price: CDN$ 15.33
8 used & new from CDN$ 8.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, Feb. 21 2015
The stories contained in this book really did open my eyes to the history and culture of the Native people in Canada. Some I enjoyed more than others, of course but all were entertaining and educational. As much as I enjoyed the stories, I also enjoyed the contributor's notes. It was interesting to see why each author chose the subject he/she did. Sometimes we forget that Native Canadians have a history that extends before the beginning of the European Canadian history. As such, those were the stories I enjoyed the most. 'Our Story' should be required in all Canadian history classes.

Spadework
Spadework
by Timothy Findley
Price: CDN$ 14.40
11 used & new from CDN$ 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Feb. 21 2015
This review is from: Spadework (Paperback)
As always, Timothy Findley uses his words to paint the story rather than tell it. A fabulous read but I thought the idea of the spadework creating far reaching implications in the characters lives was overstated. The subject matter was intense and the characters were so real. If I had the opportunity, I would cuff Griff across the head with a cast iron frying pan! Truly a character I love to hate! After finishing this book, I would find myself thinking about the characters and wondering how they were doing now. Surely the mark of a great book by a great author.

The Twelve Kingdoms: The Mark of the Tala by Kennedy, Jeffe (2014) Paperback
The Twelve Kingdoms: The Mark of the Tala by Kennedy, Jeffe (2014) Paperback
2 used & new from CDN$ 42.41

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, Feb. 21 2015
Fantasy is not a genre I usually read but I was drawn to the premise of this book. It turned out to be an easy beach read and I enjoyed it. I was expecting the story to be somewhat darker than it was and more intense than it turned out to be but, once I got past that, I enjoyed it enough to want to read the sequels. My first Jeffe Kennedy book and I will definitely read more.

Seance in Sepia
Seance in Sepia
by Michelle Black
Price: CDN$ 16.84
9 used & new from CDN$ 4.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Read, Feb. 21 2015
This review is from: Seance in Sepia (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It is a 'time travelling' book in that the story bounces back and forth between the present and Victorian times as Flynn tries to unravel the mystery behind an old photo she finds in an old book. I loved the story in the past. It was well told, interesting and suspenseful. The story in the present I found less intriguing. The author really could have left the story in the past and disregarded the present story all together. Still, a quick, fun read for a rainy day.

IraqiGirl: Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq by IraqiGirl [2009]
IraqiGirl: Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq by IraqiGirl [2009]
6 used & new from CDN$ 14.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, Jan. 31 2015
This was a fabulous insight into the war from a teenager's point of view. Certainly it was somewhat anti-American but just what I would expect from any teen anywhere faced with the circumstances. Aside from the war issues and issues that just come from living in Iraq, it was wonderful to see that teens are teens are teens no matter where they live, no matter their religion. There are the same issues with siblings and parents and friends. This book is basically her blog published and I loved when there were comments from off the blog included at the end of posts. It was interesting to see what she was dealing with in terms of readers as she created her blog. I also appreciated the odd explanation of events that she would refer to but not explain. Hadiya's voice is nothing short of poetic. The inclusion of pictures and the odd piece of school work was just gravy. I loved this book and have tried to contact the author and tell her so. Who knows if she will ever receive my email or where she might be now but I hope she reads this review and knows that her words touched my heart.

THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD
Price: CDN$ 4.41

3.0 out of 5 stars good entertainment, Jan. 26 2015
+I received a copy of this e-book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Honestly - I very much enjoyed this book: the story is solid and the characters are well rounded. It did take a few chapters before I was really transported into the story and was able to get past what I would call a rough writing style but I was glad I stuck it out because I was treated to a great experience. All in all, a good book - solid entertainment.

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
by Anthony Doerr
Price: CDN$ 14.19
8 used & new from CDN$ 14.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, Jan. 9 2015
All the Light We Cannot See is a book comprised of parts, and chapters within the parts. The parts are grouped according to year and the chapters alternate points of view between a blind French girl, Marie-Laure, and an orphaned German boy, Werner. The chapters are short and the author does an amazing job of keeping the reader in both of these characters lives simultaneously. I was also very impressed with the style of Anthony Doer's writing. The story allows the reader into the lives of these children as world war 2 begins to affect them. Mr Doer does a great job of telling their stories without being judgmental or overly sentimental. This allows the reader to really connect with the characters as well as their circumstances and sympathize with both. At first I did have a problem with how the parts of the book bounce between past and present in the characters lives. I would get so involved in what was going on, that when the part and therefore year changed, I had to flip back in the book and figure out where the last part left off. This was not enough to make me put the book down and pretty soon I was changing time periods as quickly as the book was. My eyes were opened to a lot of realities I hadn't before considered with regard to how the war continued to affect people long after it had ended. This is a fabulous book and will definitely lead me to read more of the author's work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13