countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for Dana > Reviews

Content by Dana

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dana

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
Hush, Little Dragon
Hush, Little Dragon
by Boni Ashburn
12 used & new from CDN$ 13.76

5.0 out of 5 stars So Fun, Feb. 3 2016
This review is from: Hush, Little Dragon (Hardcover)
I don't usually rate and review the children's picture books we read for the simple reason that we read so many and I just don't have the time and energy. So why am I bothering with this one? Hush, Little Dragon is a delight. A fun, medieval twist on the lullaby 'Hush, little baby, don't say a word', each page can be sung to the same tune. The picture by Kelly Murphy are engaging for little ones and adults alike as is the narrative by Boni Ashburn. If you have issues with your kids realizing that dragons eat people, then you might want to avoid this book but there is nothing gory or scary about it. We borrowed a copy from the local library but I will definitely be purchasing a copy for the house. It's not a book I will get tired of reading.

The Golden Son
The Golden Son
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers CA
Price: CDN$ 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Story, Dec 29 2015
This review is from: The Golden Son (Kindle Edition)
What I love about Shilpi Somaya Gowda's books, aside from the extraordinary storytelling, is that they open windows for me to peek inside of cultures and experiences outside of my own. Somewhere I heard that one benefit of reading is that it develops a greater sense of empathy in the reader as compared to the non-reader. I don't know if that is true, but reading The Golden Son extended my understanding and feelings of empathy for immigrants, for the oppressed and abused, for grown children and for parents of grown children. That may sound like this book is a total downer or dark in some way but actually the opposite is true. Gowda has written an adventure story; a love story; a story of family, community and friendship; of overcoming the odds to reach your dreams. It is a story that seamlessly weaves together these themes and creates a warm and uplifting story for the reader to get lost in. No spoilers - but I absolutely loved the ending, which seals the deal for me. The Golden Son has a place on my list of favourites.

Big Bear Hug
Big Bear Hug
by Nicholas Oldland
Price: CDN$ 15.08
47 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, Dec 25 2015
This review is from: Big Bear Hug (Hardcover)
I love this book! I love everything about this book. The illustrations are whimsical and fun but fill the page and give little eyes lots to look at and spot, without becoming crowded and overwhelming. There are just enough words on the page that my two year old grandson won't get bored and want to move on before I am done reading. And the story is right on level for the preschool and early school reader. A message about love and hugs that will resonate - especially at the end. Everyone knows a hug makes it better. I will be buying many copies for friends and relatives.

The Secret Adversary
The Secret Adversary
by Agatha Christie
Price: CDN$ 6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing, Dec 21 2015
This review is from: The Secret Adversary (Paperback)
I have to admit that I have read Agatha Christie previous to this novel and have wondered what all the fuss was about. Hercule Poirot is decidedly not my favourite literary character and I have always associated one with the other. Well, the 'great' inspector is no where to be found in 'The Secret Adversary' and he is not missed. I love Tommy and Tuppence and will certainly read more of Ms Christie's non-Poirot books. The writing is impeccable and the characters mysterious. The clues are well presented with lots of red herrings to keep the reader guessing. I guessed and guessed and was almost right. It was so fun to read a cozy mystery that wasn't obvious.

Footsteps in the Snow
Footsteps in the Snow
by Charles Lachman
Price: CDN$ 11.07
32 used & new from CDN$ 4.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, Aug. 29 2015
This review is from: Footsteps in the Snow (Paperback)
A very interesting portrayal of the coldest murder case in America solved and prosecuted. It took 55 years to find and prosecute the killer of seven year old Maria Ridulf. From Maria's disappearance and the subsequent botched investigation to the re-examination and, finally, the arrest and prosecution, Charles Lachman covers it all. The story is very well written and keeps the reader's interest throughout. I did feel the trial was a continual repetition of what had already been covered but, of course, that's the reality of trials. There was nothing particularly surprising in the transcript and this is where the story lagged somewhat. Still a great read.

The Burn Journals
The Burn Journals
by Brent Runyon
Price: CDN$ 16.16
63 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest and Powerful, Aug. 14 2015
This review is from: The Burn Journals (Paperback)
I found this book very hard to rate. It does an amazing job of getting into the head of a depressed teen but I found it somewhat lacking. Brent does a great job of showing that he really was a normal 14 year old boy and he was depressed and suicidal. Those are two separate things. Having suffered from depression for many, many years - including my teen years - I could relate to Brent's story. I don't know if a reader would relate if they hadn't had some of those experiences. It was so clear to me, though. I have had those thoughts, I understand the difficulty in asking for help, I understand the lies depression feeds us. The one thing I wished for was to know more of Craig's story and how he dealt with the burden he was given. I hope people read this book with open minds and hearts. It is a deep, troubling and honest story of depression and of burn treatment.

Darkside: A Novel
Darkside: A Novel
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Cozy Mystery, Aug. 9 2015
This review is from: Darkside: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Totally enjoyable with some character overlap with Belinda Bauer's first novel 'Blacklands' but a stand alone story none-the-less. A great read with a very surprising ending.

A Paris Affair
A Paris Affair
by Tatiana de Rosnay
Price: CDN$ 17.42
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Aug. 9 2015
This review is from: A Paris Affair (Hardcover)
Tatiana de Rosnay's writing style and penchant for telling a story are evident in each vignette held in this book. The stories are eminently readable and entertaining but the overall effect left me depressed. I think, for me, there is nothing entertaining about infidelity.

Blacklands: A Novel
Blacklands: A Novel
Offered by Simon & Schuster Canada, Inc.
Price: CDN$ 16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut, July 18 2015
A psychological thriller of the highest order. The author engages all of the reader's emotions without resorting to sensationalism or gore. The characters are remarkable - each totally believable but completely different in personality and intent. It is hard to believe that this is Ms Bauer's debut novel. I will be on the lookout for more. Fabulous read.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent Read, July 3 2015
This was an interesting book and a decent read. I have never been much of a golf fan but I think golf fans would be very intrigued with the story of Jenny Lee Smith and her search for her birth family. Much of the book is Helen's story with Jenny's story as support which makes sense as Helen had a such a dysfunctional childhood, which always makes a better story, and because it is also the story of the girls' mother, who raised Helen. Not a life changing book but certainly head shaking. It amazed me how many times the girls' lives crossed paths without them realizing at the time. I loved that the chapters were written so simply and with such clear voices. Having read their stories, I feel like I really like these women and wish them a wonderful future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15