Profile for OpenMind > Reviews

Content by OpenMind
Top Reviewer Ranking: 112

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

OpenMind "R Granger" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Woodstock Chimes Tibetan Prayer Windchime
Woodstock Chimes Tibetan Prayer Windchime
Price: CDN$ 55.65
5 used & new from CDN$ 55.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweeter than the sound of one hand clapping, Dec 6 2014
My mom wanted a windchime that sounded "Tibetan" for her birthday. I managed to smile and say, "Great! Thanks for the idea!" What I was really thinking was, "What on earth does <<Tibetan>> sound like?"

I spent some time on the web tracking down different manufacturers. Woodstock (who makes this model) has their own website where you can actually preview (or pre-hear, I guess) what each of their unique chimes sound like. This one happened to be one of my favourite-sounding ones, and it also had "Tibetan" in the name. Win-win.

More importantly, my mom really likes the sound. It's soothing, but it's also quite audible, I assure you. The tones they've used really make it stand out. A lot of windchimes use similar notes and keys, so they lose their appeal rather quickly.

If you don't happen to like the sound of this one, even though my mom and I certainly do, then there are many others from Woodstock to choose from (which are also available on Amazon).

The Babadook [Blu-ray]
The Babadook [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 21.76

4.0 out of 5 stars For want of a cheap scare, Nov. 29 2014
This review is from: The Babadook [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's rare for a film, particularly of the horror genre, to offer the gamut: compelling acting; clean visuals; a high-concept, yet terrifying creature villain; and a taut ambiance. It's an even rarer thing for the whole film to have a whole psychological meta-plot going on that isn't nauseatingly obvious or elusively obscure. Lastly, it's nearly impossible for this kind of film to be appreciated by the cinemati and the great unwashed alike.

I give you: The Babadook.

Amelia is in labour with her son, Sam. She and her husband are on their way to the hospital. Their car is hit on the way there. Her husband is killed.

Six years later, Amelia does her best to tend to Sam and to the seniors inhabiting the old folks' home where she works. She has a pleasantly brooding quality to her as she does her best to live a normal life. She tends to bristle at any mention of her husband, and yet she quietly pines for him.

Any chance at a normal life rapidly escapes her as Sam begins to tell her of an invisible monster that first pursues him, then them both. Amelia finds a book referring to this monster, "The Babadook", on Sam's bookshelf one day and is horrified by the nightmarish images and prospective perils that await them. Her friends grow increasingly concerned about Sam's behaviour, for which she seeks legal and medical assistance--until it is her own mind that appears to be unhinging.

The film is a welcome and necessary change from the habitual demonic-possession-jump-scare-bit-o'-gore formula. Having said that, I withheld one star for a couple of reasons: 1) I actually LIKE the odd jump scare. While The Babadook achieves its frights in other ways (more atmospheric, cerebral, and psychological), I guess I'm a bit of a sucker for cheap thrills. 2) The climax and resolution are delivered extremely convincingly and passionately by Essie Davis (Amelia) and Noah Wiseman (Sam). I still caught myself thinking, "That's it?" for a moment or two when it all went down. In the larger context of the film and its message, those final scenes make perfect sense--and yet I still wonder whether something more could have been done to make it slightly more thrilling in the moment, while staying true to the over-arching theme and process.

This is undoubtedly worth a first viewing, and being a horror fan is not at all a prerequisite. It might be worth the purchase price to those who enjoy highly original, cerebrally-engaging, and chill-inducing, films (rather than your bog-standard "Devil Possesses the House, People and Objects Get Thrown Around, Cliffhanger Ending").

Let me put it another way: Polanski's "Repulsion" has a child with Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense" that is raised on Craven's "Nightmare On Elm Street".

I give you, once more: The Babadook.

Air-O-Swiss AOS 7135 Digital Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic
Air-O-Swiss AOS 7135 Digital Warm and Cool Mist Ultrasonic
Offered by Air & Water Store and More
Price: CDN$ 199.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Porsche of humidifiers. With a similar cost of maintenance., Oct. 29 2014
I've owned several "budget" humidifiers. They invariably were too loud, developed scale rather quickly, and/or didn't humidify to a noticeable extent--even in a modestly-sized room.

Enter the Air-O-Swiss 7135. A person might be put off by the price tag compared to what one sees in pharmacies and such for much less than $100. Believe me when I say the AOS is indisputably worth the price. It has an adjustable humidity set-point and rate of mist production, is quiet (aside from infrequent and muted gurgling), and takes a while to develop scale. There is no question that it makes my room more humid. One has a choice of warm or cold mist as well.

The ONLY disadvantage is the fact that a person has to purchase maintenance products for use every 1-3 months, including the Hydro Cell (to filter the water to prevent scale build-up and bacterial growth), silver granules for the demineralization cartridge, and EZCal cleaner (to remove scale--although this is simply citric acid and can be purchased at certain grocery or home-brewing stores, as well as online).

The price of upkeep isn't negligible, but might be well worth it to those who recognize that this product is pretty much top-of-the-line and simply can't or won't put up with a lower-quality (and lower efficacy) product.

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, 16 Ounce
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, 16 Ounce
Price: CDN$ 15.98
7 used & new from CDN$ 15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Be wise: moisturize!, Oct. 29 2014
This cream was recommended by a dermatologist for dry skin and subsequent rash. It doesn't sting when it goes on like so many other creams. I noticed a vast improvement in my skin within a few days of using it. It is a generous amount for the price. The Cerave website recommends using the moisturizing LOTION year-round and using the CREAM (this product) on particularly dry areas, especially during the winter months. I use it a little more indiscriminately than that and am content to do so.

I just wish I knew what the name meant.

AT&T Corded Phone with 25 min Digital Answering Machine, Backlit Tilt Display, Audio Assist, Speakerphone (CL4940BK)
Price: CDN$ 49.92
5 used & new from CDN$ 39.42

4.0 out of 5 stars I like big buttons, and I cannot lie, Oct. 29 2014
I wanted a landline-based phone that would still operate if the power went out. This phone appeared to be one of the few that could do this. It still has to be plugged into an AC outlet, but evidently has a backup battery in case of blackouts.

The buttons and display are large. The display itself is lacking in contrast a little bit--text is still visible, but not as apparent as I would have liked. It has volume control and an "audio assist" feature that boosts volume even more if your interlocutor's speech is quiet. It has built-in voice mail that is remotely accessible.

I didn't need a phone with all sorts of bells and whistles--this one certainly has the basics and a couple of more to boot, so that's a plus.

I consider it to be good value for the money.

Scorch Resistant Silicone Coated Ironing Board Pad and Cover, Color May Vary
Scorch Resistant Silicone Coated Ironing Board Pad and Cover, Color May Vary

5.0 out of 5 stars It has completely changed my life. No, it hasn't. It's just a really good ironing board cover., Oct. 29 2014
This cover fit my ironing board perfectly (54" long with tapered nose). It has an elasticized border that provided a snug fit. It also has two velcro straps underneath for even more secure attachment to the board. It's plush and reasonably smooth. It is machine washable.

The only two possible improvements would be if a person had a choice of colour (mine is as it appears in the photo--a greyish taupe) and if it came with a personal clothes-presser.

L'Occitane Verdon Energy Face Moisturizer for Men, 1.7-Ounce
L'Occitane Verdon Energy Face Moisturizer for Men, 1.7-Ounce
Price: CDN$ 32.00
2 used & new from CDN$ 32.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product that is rapidly becoming unaffordable, Aug. 30 2014
If you clicked on the link for this product, then congratulations! You have discerning taste indeed. This moisturizer is masculine without being cliché musky, and is refined without being fruity-smelling or feminine. Its aroma is fresh and clean. It goes on smoothly without being oily or leaving a residue. There's some debate as to how well it penetrates and moisturizes, but I haven't found that to be an issue.

I assume that you're looking for it on Amazon because you realize that Occitane is now selling the product in a 1.3 oz (40 mL) size for $40, whereas it used to be about $30 for 1.7 oz (50 mL). Ya, that frustrated me, too.

Make sure you check on the Amazon link ("More buying choices" or "2 new from...") for other sellers. The one I bought was actually distributed by Amazon for about $30 (the old price), while the default seller was peddling it for $45 (plus $15 shipping--not cool).

If you can afford the extra cost, lucky you. If you can't, I wish you luck in finding another great moisturizer.

The Informant! / L'infiltré ! (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
The Informant! / L'infiltré ! (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Matt Damon
Price: CDN$ 6.99
12 used & new from CDN$ 4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time this film's cover was blown, Aug. 24 2014
In an age where Judd Apatow-derivative comedies reign supreme, it's nice to be reminded that not all hilarious movies are gross-out/stoner/slapstick pictures. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those as much as the next guy--but when I start getting confused about whether a new film is really just a re-release of one I've already seen, then it's time to change things up.

Enter "The Informant", a distinctly below-the-radar comedy. It was well-received by critics, but audiences didn't lap it up quite so easily. In this way, it reminds me of another little gem called "Bowfinger".

Matt Damon plays Mark Whitacre, an ostensibly well-intentioned whistleblower, eager to do a good deed in reporting on his company's illegal price-fixing. As the two FBI agents assigned to handle him soon find out, it isn't always clear how accurate, reliable, or altruistic Mr. Whitacre actually is. The bonus is that there is absolutely nothing sinister about him, but his motivations remain downright impossible to comprehend.

Even if you watch this film just once after purchasing it, you're only out a whole $10. Trust me, there are friends of yours who will enjoy the alternately chummy, quirky, and bafflingly idiotic "protagonist" of this film, which Matt Damon carries compelling from start to finish. You loved him as Jason Bourne. Get ready to love him as...well...pretty much the total opposite.

Household Essentials Double Hamper Laundry Sorter with Magnetic Lid Closure, Coffee Linen
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 52.69
7 used & new from CDN$ 49.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Laundry Hamper of Holding +2 (***this is a Dungeons & Dragons reference***), Aug. 24 2014
This hamper arrives in a collapsed form, which initially makes it look rather flimsy and unimpressive.

Once it's easily expanded and stabilized, though, it's rather sizable.

Some folks have commented on the smell, which is present, but I don't habitually spend a lot of time sitting next to my laundry hamper.

Upwards of $50 might be a bit dear for something that doesn't have the finest quality craftsmanship, but its capacity, light weight, and inoffensive colouring and styling make up for it. I purchased two of these and don't regret doing so.

Present Time - Karlsson Wall Clock Mega Disc Golden Record
Present Time - Karlsson Wall Clock Mega Disc Golden Record
Offered by grabthesale
Price: CDN$ 72.20
2 used & new from CDN$ 72.20

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 karat quality and design, Aug. 24 2014
I purchased this clock for a friend a few months ago at a boutique store in Edmonton. The boutique store closed before I could purchase one for myself. Searching on the internet came up with a lot of over-priced options. Once again, Amazon came to the rescue as far as having a reasonable price (not to mention having it in stock at all).

A silver finish is available, too, but I happen to like the "gold". There are no numbers, which makes it look sleek and minimalist. The only downside: it's rather small, at 12 inches in diameter, which precludes it from being a real feature on the wall.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9