Profile for OpenMind > Reviews

Content by OpenMind
Top Reviewer Ranking: 101

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

OpenMind "R Granger" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
L'Occitane Verdon Energy Face Moisturizer for Men, 1.7-Ounce
L'Occitane Verdon Energy Face Moisturizer for Men, 1.7-Ounce
Offered by BeautyEncounter-CA
Price: CDN$ 46.43
2 used & new from CDN$ 29.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent product that is rapidly becoming unaffordable, Aug. 30 2014
If you clicked on the link for this product, then congratulations! You have discerning taste indeed. This moisturizer is masculine without being cliché musky, and is refined without being fruity-smelling or feminine. Its aroma is fresh and clean. It goes on smoothly without being oily or leaving a residue. There's some debate as to how well it penetrates and moisturizes, but I haven't found that to be an issue.

I assume that you're looking for it on Amazon because you realize that Occitane is now selling the product in a 1.3 oz (40 mL) size for $40, whereas it used to be about $30 for 1.7 oz (50 mL). Ya, that frustrated me, too.

Make sure you check on the Amazon link ("More buying choices" or "2 new from...") for other sellers. The one I bought was actually distributed by Amazon for about $30 (the old price), while the default seller was peddling it for $45 (plus $15 shipping--not cool).

If you can afford the extra cost, lucky you. If you can't, I wish you luck in finding another great moisturizer.

The Informant! / L'infiltré ! (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
The Informant! / L'infiltré ! (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]
Price: CDN$ 9.99
17 used & new from CDN$ 4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars It's time this film's cover was blown, Aug. 24 2014
In an age where Judd Apatow-derivative comedies reign supreme, it's nice to be reminded that not all hilarious movies are gross-out/stoner/slapstick pictures. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those as much as the next guy--but when I start getting confused about whether a new film is really just a re-release of one I've already seen, then it's time to change things up.

Enter "The Informant", a distinctly below-the-radar comedy. It was well-received by critics, but audiences didn't lap it up quite so easily. In this way, it reminds me of another little gem called "Bowfinger".

Matt Damon plays Mark Whitacre, an ostensibly well-intentioned whistleblower, eager to do a good deed in reporting on his company's illegal price-fixing. As the two FBI agents assigned to handle him soon find out, it isn't always clear how accurate, reliable, or altruistic Mr. Whitacre actually is. The bonus is that there is absolutely nothing sinister about him, but his motivations remain downright impossible to comprehend.

Even if you watch this film just once after purchasing it, you're only out a whole $10. Trust me, there are friends of yours who will enjoy the alternately chummy, quirky, and bafflingly idiotic "protagonist" of this film, which Matt Damon carries compelling from start to finish. You loved him as Jason Bourne. Get ready to love him as...well...pretty much the total opposite.

Household Essentials Double Hamper Laundry Sorter with Magnetic Lid Closure, Coffee Linen
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 44.89
9 used & new from CDN$ 43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Laundry Hamper of Holding +2 (***this is a Dungeons & Dragons reference***), Aug. 24 2014
This hamper arrives in a collapsed form, which initially makes it look rather flimsy and unimpressive.

Once it's easily expanded and stabilized, though, it's rather sizable.

Some folks have commented on the smell, which is present, but I don't habitually spend a lot of time sitting next to my laundry hamper.

Upwards of $50 might be a bit dear for something that doesn't have the finest quality craftsmanship, but its capacity, light weight, and inoffensive colouring and styling make up for it. I purchased two of these and don't regret doing so.

Present Time - Karlsson Wall Clock Mega Disc Golden Record
Present Time - Karlsson Wall Clock Mega Disc Golden Record
Offered by langton_distribution
Price: CDN$ 50.15
4 used & new from CDN$ 50.15

5.0 out of 5 stars 24 karat quality and design, Aug. 24 2014
I purchased this clock for a friend a few months ago at a boutique store in Edmonton. The boutique store closed before I could purchase one for myself. Searching on the internet came up with a lot of over-priced options. Once again, Amazon came to the rescue as far as having a reasonable price (not to mention having it in stock at all).

A silver finish is available, too, but I happen to like the "gold". There are no numbers, which makes it look sleek and minimalist. The only downside: it's rather small, at 12 inches in diameter, which precludes it from being a real feature on the wall.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser 500ml
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser 500ml
Price: CDN$ 17.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mild yet effective, Aug. 24 2014
It's the only facial cleanser I use.

I've tried many others. This one is not only gentle, like the product name suggests, but it also works like a charm on my combination skin. The Amazon price is about what it goes for in store.

It's a winner in my book.

Fellowes Powershred 99CI Shredder, Black/Dark Silver
Fellowes Powershred 99CI Shredder, Black/Dark Silver
Price: CDN$ 380.42
14 used & new from CDN$ 359.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The next step up: wood chipper, March 27 2014
This really has to be a top-of-the-line shredder for home or small business office, and I wish I'd purchased it sooner. I had a midget "5-page" shredder before (which could only really handle a couple of sheets at a time, and even then jammed more than Smuckers), and I recently had ENOUGH.

This model tells you if you've over-stuffed it. Better yet, it tells you if you've UNDER-stuffed it: an indicator light meter reveals how many pages it could handle compared to how many you put in. If the light meter only goes up a couple of bars, that means it's hungry and you need to give it more on your next go-around. This thing even detects if there's any skin touching its gaping maw, in which case it won't operate until safe to do so. Best of all, there's a "do not put a baby in here" interdiction labelled on the side of the aperture.

If you think you can get away with something smaller and cheaper, you might be right...but why would you want to be?

Fujitsu PA03643-B002 ScanSnap S1300i Scanner
Fujitsu PA03643-B002 ScanSnap S1300i Scanner
Price: CDN$ 286.99
10 used & new from CDN$ 286.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Where have you been all my life?, Feb. 28 2014
In my foolish youth, I thought that an all-in-one scanner/copier/printer was the way to go. I remained loyal to mine for many years. It was bulky, heavy, and slow, but I stuck by it. It scanned into JPGs, which I would then have to use a photo program to convert to large PDFs, which I'd then have to reduce in file size. Very time-consuming.

Lately, I've been trying to go paperless with my home office and personal documents. I grew more and more frustrated with my all-in-one that didn't appear to do any of its functions particularly well.

I finally mustered up the courage to tell my all-in-one, "It's over.", and got the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i. It was recommended by a couple of websites as being one of the better scanners.

It's everything my old all-in-one was not. It's compact. It's fast. It scans directly into PDF or whatever format you might like. I scanned one side of my document and said to myself, "Now to scan the other side...sigh..." The scanner had already scanned both sides into the same file. Awesome.

Works for PC and Mac. Setup involves installing software from a CD. Instructions are minimal although a little confusing, but the product is superb. Should've made the switch a long time ago.

Munchkin 14906 High Capacity Drying Rack (White)
Munchkin 14906 High Capacity Drying Rack (White)
Price: CDN$ 14.98
6 used & new from CDN$ 14.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Ample size in spite of "Munchkin" name, Feb. 19 2014
"High capacity" is a relative term, but the rack holds enough bottles, lids, nipples, and other items for my infant twins--so I would hope that it suffices for most people. It has two tiers to it and a removable tray to decant the water that's dripped off. I've saved valuable counter space that I have since filled with other junk. Win-win-win!

Munchkin 11601 Deluxe Bottle Brush (Colors May Vary)
Munchkin 11601 Deluxe Bottle Brush (Colors May Vary)
Price: CDN$ 5.17
14 used & new from CDN$ 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns a chore into less of a bore, Feb. 19 2014
This brush cleans my Medela bottles and other assorted bottles very well. I like the miniature nipple brush hidden away in the handle. For less than six dollars, it was a steal. I purchased it along with the drying rack. I no longer avoid my husbandly cleaning duties as much as I did before.

The instructions refer to a need to replace the brush "at first sign of wear" or after a handful of weeks; I'll update this review if I have any concerns with quality or longevity. So far, so good.

Mad Dogs [Blu-ray] [Import]
Mad Dogs [Blu-ray] [Import]
Price: CDN$ 58.36
17 used & new from CDN$ 11.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Lads' holiday goes horribly, and at times hilariously, wrong, Feb. 4 2014
Four longtime friends in their 40s travel to Mallorca to visit a fifth friend, Alvo, at his lovely villa. Alvo wastes no time in making overt displays of his wealth and success, which affects each of the four differently. Each of the lads' characters is nicely fleshed out, from surly professor (Quinn) to recovering alcoholic (Woody) to selfish philanderer (Rick) to flat broke and disgraced lawyer (Baxter)--all seemingly in the midst of a mid-life crisis.

The boys express their jealousy, loyalty, resentment, and integrity quite convincingly depending on the situation, but there comes a point where their insecurities and hypersensitivity call into question just how close they are as friends. It seems as though each of them asks, "What's THAT supposed to mean?" and throws a fit at least a couple of times an episode.

I love John Simm (Baxter) and Philip Glenister (Quinn)--both from "Life On Mars". Max Beesley (Woody), from Hotel Babylon, is great, too. Rounding out the cast is the destabilizing and backstabbing Ben Chaplin (Alvo) and the hotheaded and rather sinister-looking Marc Warren (Rick).

The boys get mixed up with theft, drugs, crooked cops, a homicidal Tiny Blair, and each other's personal lives. The result is an entertaining, but not exactly relaxing, sojourn on a sunny isle.

Amazon Canada retails this, only the first season, for over 50 dollars. There's no way you should be dropping that kind of money on this. Wait until the final fourth season is out (Seasons 1-3 were available on Netflix Canada until early February 2014), then decide after having watched them whether you'll spring for the collection. I'm on my second watch-through and still enjoy the black humour, zaniness, and character interactions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9