Profile for Sarah Smith > Reviews

Content by Sarah Smith

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Sarah Smith (Canada, eh?)

Gargoyles Season 2, Volume 1: We Live Again
Gargoyles Season 2, Volume 1: We Live Again
DVD ~ Keith David
Price: CDN$ 9.97
26 used & new from CDN$ 9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Eagerly awaiting Season 2:Volume 2, Sept. 30 2006
If this box set could be said to have a fault, IF, then it would be that we've had to wait so long for the other half of the episodes. Lucky for me, most of my favourites are in here.

I have been in love with this show for over a decade now. Buy this and season one, and you wont be disappointed.

I realize this is a cartoon, and some may dismiss it out of hand as childrens' entertainment but it works on so many levels. Much of the fan base is adult. It's witty, interesting, and surprisingly believeable for a show with mythical creatures in it. It actually made me go out and read a Midsummer's Night Dream, just for more informaton on some of the characters who are named for people in Shakespears plays.

I urge you to watch this series.If only for Puck, and the Weird Sisters.

Runaways - Volume 1: Pride & Joy
Runaways - Volume 1: Pride & Joy
by Brian K. Vaughan
15 used & new from CDN$ 9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars I kept hearing about how great Runaways was, but......., Sept. 30 2006
I find buying only one comic, especially if I'm just starting a series insufficent to get a feel for it, not only that, but I can read the average comic in 5 minutes. This collection of the first five books was definetly enough to whet my appetite, as soon as I was done I went back to the store and bought the other 4 digests. I am eagerly awaiting the last one.

The writing and art are strong (especially true of the writing). Twists that actually surprise you. My only problem (and it's a small one) is the note left by the mole. I find it difficult that the parents couldn't tell from the handwriting who the author was. Other than that, great read, I almost forgot that it was a comic and not a novel. There's a lot of diversity, not just ethnically, (and species wise) but in personality types. Usually teen heros are cookie cutter type personas, not this batch.

This comic series is definetly in my top 5 list of comics.

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
by Robert Rankin
46 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a well known fact to those who know it well....., Sept. 28 2006
That the Chocolate Hollow Bunnies of the Apocalypse is a hysterically funny book. If the Naked Gun series or Airplane, or Hotshot movies could be said to have a literary equivalent this is it. It's slapstick, the word play is wonderful, and I like the characters alot more than one would assume possible for a comedy.

Like most reviewers I picked up this book because of the great title, and I was in no way dissappointed. Definitly read this book if you're looking for a good time.

Gargoyles: The Complete First Season (Special 10th Anniversary Edition)
Gargoyles: The Complete First Season (Special 10th Anniversary Edition)
DVD ~ Keith David
Price: CDN$ 9.97
31 used & new from CDN$ 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars um, cant think of a title right now......, Aug. 7 2006
All of my favourite shows are in the second season, but everything for that season is set up here, and this season isn't too bad to watch either.

I just bought this set, and I'm very happy with it, mostly because I've been in Gargoyle withdrawl for a decade or so.

Yes, I realize this show is intended for a (older) youth audience, but it still works on an adult level. In fact it has a large- ish adult following.

It's also very Trek influenced(voice artists that is). So there's that for those of you who are into it.

The extras are alright, from what I've seen Disney isn't great for extras. the footage of the gathering (Gargoyle fan conventions, held yearly) was pretty good.

This Show Is Great!!!!!!

Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 54.08
26 used & new from CDN$ 10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Richard Dean Anderson looks p*ssed......., Aug. 7 2006
This review is from: Stargate Sg-1 Season 8 (DVD)
It's a well known fact (to the Stargate obsessed that is) that Richard Dean Anderson has wanted to get off the show for a couple of seasons now. This is the first season that it really shows. This is not to say it isn't a good season, just not a great one.

If you're collecting all the seasons there's nothing so awful about this season that I would suggest skipping this set. However if you're looking to get into the show, it's not the season I would want you to start on.

It's not as funny, as sci fi or as captivating as any other season. On the plus side things did pick back up for season 9.

I'm a huge fan of Stargate and I do hold it to high standards so maybe I'm being a little harsh, but then again maybe I'm not.

The extras are what you'd expect from a Stargate DVD, nothing spectacular but I do enjoy the audio commentary, especially any done by Peter Deluise, he's always funny.

All in all, get it to keep the set together, not for the quality of the shows