Profile for David Pittman > Reviews

Content by David Pittman

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

David Pittman "dphrygian" (Novato, CA USA)

My Neighbour Totoro
My Neighbour Totoro
DVD ~ Hitoshi Takagi
Offered by WAM Services
Price: CDN$ 99.99
4 used & new from CDN$ 70.88

2.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie ruined by a poor DVD release, Jan. 17 2003
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro (DVD)
I recently watched My Neighbor Totoro in its original Japanese language, in widescreen, with nearly perfect subtitles. It was a great movie, possibly Miyazaki's best in my opinion. Unfortunately, it was a bootleg copy and the respective studios got no money from my purchase.
20th Century Fox lost my money to bootleggers by issuing a substandard DVD aimed at kids. While I don't have an issue with them targeting children rather than older anime fans, they needn't have made a dumbed down release to do so. The only explanation for making a fullscreen-only version is that they meant for this to be viewed by kids, who are customarily distracted by the black bars. This could easily have been a two-sided disc at little extra cost, and they would have sold probably twice as many copies. The dubbing/subbing debate is less crucial, but since the Japanese language track already exists and the script has already been translated into English, it would have been a negligible amount of work to add subtitles, and would have satisfied picky anime fans like myself.
I will buy this movie from Fox when they decide to release the real version.