Profile for Chet Ragsdale > Reviews

Content by Chet Ragsdale

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Chet Ragsdale "Marine Veteran" (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Arizona Road & Recreation Atlas
Arizona Road & Recreation Atlas
by Allan Stuart
Edition: Map
17 used & new from CDN$ 22.82

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than the Typical Atlas, June 3 2004
You cannot go wrong with this atlas. I keep it in my truck permanently. Need to know terrain? Where to camp? Where to boat?
Looking for that wilderness area not on most maps or that small lake to fish? Well this guide has it! Very well detailed. I really like the topography maps. You can tell the mountains and there are many elevations listed and all the small towns you don't see on a highway map. If you are going anywhere in Arizona, and you think you might like to drive a back road, or if you get on one by mistake.....you won't get lost with this book. EXCELLENT!

Darby Ogill and the Little People (Bilingual)
Darby Ogill and the Little People (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Albert Sharpe
Price: CDN$ 9.66
30 used & new from CDN$ 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Walt Disney That Stands the Test of Time, May 8 2004
I was 8 or 9 years old when I saw this movie. Besides Old Yeller, it is my favorite. Everything is believable, even though
fantasy. I loved all the acting performances in this movie. Darby being my favorite. He is very believable as the caretaker for an estate in Ireland, where his best friend just happens to be "the king of the leprechauns". I was truly mesmerized as a kid, when Darby was swept into the banshee's coach to go on his final journey...very scary stuff for a kid, but exciting. The special effects are perfect for this movie. And Sean Connery..was great, and not a bad singer I might add. So nice to finally see this coming to DVD..I preordered it a month ago.
Have to break out the popcorn and jujubee's and dots and have
fun at the matinee again!

Dw
Dw
by Darrell Waltrip
32 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Darrell's THE MAN, Feb. 28 2004
This review is from: Dw (Hardcover)
I have a couple of moments in NASCAR history that stand out to me, as a fan, more than any others...I guess #1 would be that infamous day when Bobby and Donnie Allison and Cale Yarborough got into it, then there was Davey Allison's tragic death...well actually I have a lot of memories, but right up at THE TOP with all of them is DW doing the icky shuffle after winning the Daytona 500. These things solidified my love of the sport and Darrell Waltrip. A lot of this is in the book , with some witty outlooks on life and the pursuit of dreams. DW tells about his beginnings, his hometown life, and of course his love of racing. The book is great, and provides a lot of insight into the man, as well as the world of NASCAR. A GREAT book, i rate it right up there with Junior Johnson's bio. If you are a racing fan, more importantly, a NASCAR fan this is required reading, if you just have a passing interest...read this, it may change you.

The Deer Hunter (Widescreen)
The Deer Hunter (Widescreen)
DVD ~ DVD
Offered by King Of Trade
Price: CDN$ 17.99
16 used & new from CDN$ 3.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie...Bad Film Transfer, Jan. 29 2004
This review is from: The Deer Hunter (Widescreen) (DVD)
I really , really like this movie. The movie itself gets 5 stars, but I have to say this DVD version, is extremely inferior. The picture quality is used VHS caliber, and the sound is as shabby. A film of this magnitude, one which won a
couple of Academy Awards and was nominated for a few more. (It
won for Best Picture) should have been done a lot better. I would hold out for a remastered version and express those feelings to the studio.

Seabiscuit: An American Legend
Seabiscuit: An American Legend
by Laura Hillenbrand
Price: CDN$ 13.87
227 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars "And Here Comes Seabiscuit", Jan. 4 2004
Growing up in Texas, I was always around horses, I even managed to care for (wrangle) about 20 or so a couple of summers in my youth. I grew up , drifted away from horses, and rarely thought of them, except to remember these words that my Dad would quote
when we would hop in the car to go places..."And they are off and running at Pimlico, it's Seabiscuit by a nose". Then, along comes this book and motion picture. Now, I am excited to say, I know who Seabiscuit is and what that saying was all about! I was excited about the movie and was glad to finally know the story of this great horse. Christmas came along and I got the DVD and book as a present. Well I began reading and could not put it down. The first book I have read cover to cover in about a year. Absolutely astounding work by Ms. Hillenbrand. She knows the subject and puts it all into prose we can all understand. This story of an underdog (horse) is as good as it gets. Seabiscuit aside, the smaller but no less grand stories of Red Pollard and Mr. Charles Howard are equally as fascinating, as are all the main characters..Laura fleshes them all out equally as well , it is a splendid story told in perfect detail of a True American Hero. Outstanding Reading!!

Greendale (W/ Bonus DVD)
Greendale (W/ Bonus DVD)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 36.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a Musical Genius, Sept. 7 2003
I won't bother with extolling on the merits of other people's
reviews...everyone has an opinion right? That's why I am on here
stating mine. I also won't go into great detail on the tastiness
of THIS work, I am going to leave it to you...the REAL Neil Young fans..if you have followed Neil for very long, then you will KNOW. What I will say is this: No other story teller in music today that I know of, can switch directions and do it successfully as well as Neil can, I don't mean drastically. But
Greendale is definitely another switch and it just continues to prove the man's genius. I too went to the concert, just a few weeks prior to this review. I was skeptical at first myself. I always wonder how a "concept" album, as such, will work..so I admit I was a little leary. BUT, and this is a big BUT..If anyone could do it I reasoned, it would be Neil. Well I was right. The story of the Green family is inspired. The music is heartfelt. THE electric version with Crazy Horse is dynamite! And Neil plays as good as he STILL sings. The acoustic version is inspirational and equally as good. I have followed Neil since his days with Buffalo Springfield. This is a great work of art. It is a story, so listen to it a few times before you render judgement...BUT, as I say, if you like Neil and you KNOW who you are...You will like this very much.

Backcountry Adventures: Arizona: The Ultimate Guide to the Arizona Backcountry for Anyone with a Sport Utility Vehicle
by Peter Massey
10 used & new from CDN$ 29.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely The Best!, Sept. 17 2002
I was at the Outdoor Expo and was looking at a much smaller book, for half as much money...It was the only one I saw (and they were very numerous) on the many trails Arizona has to offer.
Well I passed it by, and told myself on the way out I would probably buy it, well I am glad I waited, I stopped by the booth and noticed one large book at the end of the table...it was the last one, and was 3 times as much. After about 4 pages, I shelled out the cash with a smile on my face! This book has it all. Very, very well detailed, with maps, directions, history, flora , fauna, wildlife, stories on ghost towns and past characters of local legend. What I really liked though was all the COLOR pictures...giving me an idea of what I WILL find when I travel these trails. This book also has much information on what kind (s) of 4WD you will need for what trails, levels of difficulty...things to watch for, what depth of water at the crossings to expect....and well organized to boot. The cover is heavy duty , so it will last bouncing around in the back. This book is great and I love it! If you have a 4WD and are looking for a little adventure and fun from easy to difficult and you are doing it in Arizona..........you need this book. See you on the trail!

Tombstone (Vista Series) (Sous-titres français)
Tombstone (Vista Series) (Sous-titres français)
DVD ~ Kurt Russell
Price: CDN$ 14.59
30 used & new from CDN$ 9.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A Really Good Western Gets the Royal Treatment, Feb. 18 2002
This review covers the "Vista Series" 2 disc boxed director's cut DVD.
For those of us who love Westerns, we have to take what we can get nowadays. There are few if any, being made. So this is a refreshing re-packaging of an already great movie. The sound is first rate and the photography excellent. Most of this film has tried to be historically accurate down to guns, costumes, saddles etc; a great portion is detailed in the bonus dvd, including interviews with the actors and director. Historical facts are brought out and detailed, behind the scenes looks, and a folded map are even included in this very well packaged set.
Kurt Russell looks very much like the real Wyatt Earp and Val Kilmer's "star turn" as Doc Holliday is great fun to watch. Sam Elliot as Virgil Earp and Bill Paxton as Morgan Earp, deliver servicable performances. Powers Boothe as Curly Bill Brosius is great as an Earp nemesis. I won't go into great detail about the movie itself as most people have already read other reviews since this movie has been out. But if you want to upgrade from VHS or the regular DVD, I highly recommend this set.

Songs for the Musically Disturbed: His (Almost) Greatest Hits
Songs for the Musically Disturbed: His (Almost) Greatest Hits
Price: CDN$ 16.44
4 used & new from CDN$ 16.44

3.0 out of 5 stars Southern Humor with a Twist, Feb. 6 2002
If you are not from the South , you won't understand or appreciate this, if you are....well get it!! Ever listened to the John Boy and Billy Show? If so, you may have heard Tim, he is a regular. His song about Garth is great, as is Ricky Tidwell's Mama" . The "Redneck 12 days of Christmas and Clean Underwear will have you rolling..Plug this one in at your next party...lots of fun

Medusa
Medusa
Price: CDN$ 15.15
19 used & new from CDN$ 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of THE BEST "hidden" works of all time, Jan. 29 2002
This review is from: Medusa (Audio CD)
When this album came out, and back then it WAS an "album" it was not widely received. You had to really look in the nooks and crannys of "Rolling Stone" to find anything about it. But this music has developed more of a following over the years (wow) and I for one am glad. It has not lost anything in power or musical force 32 years later, and that is quite an accomplishment. John Lodge of the Moody Blues, was more than happy to produce this album, and that says something right there. ALL the music on this CD is very good, but after you listen to just the one track "Black Cloud", the signature tune...you should be hooked. A definite must for anyone collecting music, who wants to define the period should include this...(Oh, yea I first had this on 8 track!) Happy Listening

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4