ARRAY(0xa2747528)

Profile for Alison > Reviews

Content by Alison

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Alison

Lonely Planet Rarotonga & the Cook Islands
Lonely Planet Rarotonga & the Cook Islands
by Nancy Keller
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost but not Lonely in Paradise, June 9 2000
I found the Rarotonga and Cook Islands Lonely Planet quite informative. I did however have a few problems but I think the overall content allays my initial hesitations.
The volume is lightweight which makes it a great read on the aeroplane. I planned my holiday mainly through reading this book and the information is practical and informative. The advice on things not to miss and where to go is detailed enough to give the reader a good idea of what to expect when they arrive. My main problem was the maps. I thought that they were not detailed enough and left off salient features (such as the Muri Lagoon) that were talked about repeatedly in the text.
Additionally much of the information is too generalised. I have just purchased "The Cook Islands Companion" through Amazon and already I am enjoying it more because the style is laconic but detailed with information that tells me about the country, it's people and its history and how to enjoy this while travelling rather than what to do and where to go.
The Lonely Planet guide fails in some aspects but overall most of the information is more than adequate; in fact pretty much everything is covered to some degree. I recommend it to all those who enjoy dreaming of paradise as well as those planning to travel to the Country.