ARRAY(0xb0010150)

Profile for Dr. Charles Connor > Reviews

Content by Dr. Charles Connor

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Dr. Charles Connor (Athens, GA USA)

Final Bearing
Final Bearing
by George Wallace
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.74

5.0 out of 5 stars An adrenaline pumping adventure, July 27 2003
This review is from: Final Bearing (Hardcover)
These guys know how to write a book. Their combination of writing talent and real world experience produced an adventure tale that had my heart pounding and my fingers turning the pages in anticipation. There are drug terrorists to hate, brave men to pull for, victims to fear for, and the future of our country riding on the outcome. The writing style and the authentic details give you a story world you can really experience. There are no cardboard characters here, no would-be adventurers. This is the real thing. After reading this book I feel like I've been there and done it. And I'm ready for the next mission, Commander. Just let me get myself in shape first.
-- Charles Connor, Director of the Harriette Austin Writing Program, The University of Georgia.

The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children
The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children
by Nancy Lamb
Price: CDN$ 15.15
38 used & new from CDN$ 1.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Among the very best texts on writing, May 4 2003
Some months back I received unbidden a copy of The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children. Looking at the "for Children" part of the title, I briefly considered it for possible use as a reference for any of my students who might be interested in writing children's books. I put the book on the shelf and forgot about it. Finding myself recently in search of something that might deal intelligently with plot, I picked the book up and gave it the consideration I should have when it first fell into my hands. I found in it not a book for the writing of children's literature, but perhaps the most lucid, accessible, well organized, relevant, complete and credible work on fiction writing in my entire collection of texts on writing. I found my own ideas said better than I can say them myself. What is said in this book resonates with so much validity and clarity that I am sorry that I have wasted so much of my time and my students' time trying to teach without this text. I have corrected that situation by reorganizing the reading materials for my workshops, making The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children a required reading and a central part of our discussion.
Charles Connor, Director