Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 170

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Amazon Customer (Calgary, Alberta Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
THE SEA WOLVES
THE SEA WOLVES
by Wolfgang Frank
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
16 used & new from CDN$ 1.07

5.0 out of 5 stars a highly interesting read from the German side of the war. Highly recommend., March 24 2009
They history is written by the Victors, so you never really know until sometime after an event what really was going on. This book is certainly a wonderful window into the world of the U-boat arm of the German Navy in the Second War. It is well written and informative and gives you a wonderful view of the "other side".

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars a bit over-the-top in some ways, but a wonderfully endearing movie., March 24 2009
I usually dislike this "American cowboy as white night in foreign lands' thing you see every once in awhile to perpetuate some kind of national myth, but the story, the characters and the very strong cast, made this an exception. You were never sure whether that part of the story was true in any case, so it was less of a spoiler than it could have been, and the 'current' time line in the film became the most engrossing. Strong acting in a film is foremost for me, and this film had it in spades. All three main characters were exceptional: Michael Cain, Robert Duval and Hayley Osment were wonderful.
No splattering blood all over the place, no gas can explosions and car chases - such an un-typical Hollywood type movie. Just a wonderfully done enjoyable and emotional movie I strongly recommend.

Four Feathers [Widescreen Special Collector's Editon]
Four Feathers [Widescreen Special Collector's Editon]
DVD ~ Heath Ledger
Offered by Chris_Clarke-ca
Price: CDN$ 7.93
11 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

4.0 out of 5 stars A very Nice Film., March 24 2009
Cinematography is wonderful. The story is as the story is - with the usual Hollywood changes, but stays essentially with the book. I'm disappointed that it mirrors the idiocy of post 9-11 America, but the social commentary on war and man is there. The blood-lust of the Christian Church is certainly shown (pleased to see that comment on religion's blessing on genocide).
It did lack a certain passion throughout though, which was disappointing, although the strong cast carried the movie very well. There were a couple of places in the film, I didn't quite understand the transitioning from one point to the next, but that could be just me.
I enjoyed the film. The music and the 'visual' were stunning. I wish it could've whipped me up into more of an emotional bond with the characters, but it just fell a bit short on that scale. I would still recommend for a pleasant night's viewing though.

Before the Fall
Before the Fall
DVD ~ Max Riemelt
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 322.25
6 used & new from CDN$ 45.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful film! strong cast, wonderful cinematography, strong story - not a skin flick., March 4 2009
This review is from: Before the Fall (DVD)
I found this film to be quite intriguing and fell into it quickly and couldn't pause it at all. I found it interesting in two ways - there were Germans (I knew this before) that were not Nazis and 2. the 'indoctrination' into the philosophy of the Party. The growing and forbidden attraction of Friedrich and Albrecht was subtle and fitting the story, time and place.
I thought it a thoroughly enjoyable film, with a very strong cast, strong story, strong location settings, attention to detail and absolutely wonderful cinematography - it's just beautiful to look at!
This is not a skin flick for those that are looking for some (or all) of that, but a very realistic wonderful love story.
I liked it a lot.

Torchwood: The Complete First Season
Torchwood: The Complete First Season
DVD ~ Various
Offered by The Digital Vault
Price: CDN$ 39.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Adventure as only the Brits can do it!, Nov. 15 2008
I was a bit skeptical on this series after Dr Who, but has proved to me to be the same high quality - strong cast, high production values, good story and characters. I quickly became a fan - and liked the cast becoming intrigued with them. I find it refreshing when the Brits come up with an "enemy", it isn't a Black, Latino, Arab or other member of the human race to denigrate, but something entirely different. This is definitely of the high quality of Dr Who and I highly recommend.

Nightwork
Nightwork
by Joseph Hansen
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Brandstetter Mystery., Oct. 25 2008
This review is from: Nightwork (Paperback)
I have yet to read a Brandstetter Mystery that i didn't like. This one ranks up there with the high calibre of writing that all the Brandstetter books enjoy. Recommended.

The Lucky Elephant Restaurant: A Detective Lane Mystery
The Lucky Elephant Restaurant: A Detective Lane Mystery
by Garry Ryan
Price: CDN$ 9.86
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read., Oct. 25 2008
I'm warming up to the Heroes in this series, and this 2nd book is much more familiar, with an excellent story, believable characters and enthralling mystery. A great follow-up to Queen's Park. It's a little different reading a good book set in the city you live in I must admit. I look forward to the 3rd installment.

Touch of Frost S13 Endangered
Touch of Frost S13 Endangered
DVD ~ David Jason
Price: CDN$ 24.99
23 used & new from CDN$ 13.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Frost - Excellent!, Oct. 25 2008
What can I say that hasn't been said about Frost before. Great characters, great story, great production values. A wonderful mystery made even better by having curmudgeonly Frost on the case. A wonderful treat.

Edward II [Import]
Edward II [Import]
DVD ~ Steven Waddington
Offered by M and N Media Canada
Price: CDN$ 101.85
9 used & new from CDN$ 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, entralling and shakespearean., Oct. 25 2008
This review is from: Edward II [Import] (DVD)
I like this movie. I strain to understand the Shakespearean English (as I do in all Shakespeare), but this story is amazingly accurate from an historical perspective, and fits as a Shakespeare Tragedy. I enjoy it, and repeatedly enjoy it. There must be something in it . . . :) Annie Lennox is a wonderful surprise. Acting is strong, and story engrossing.

Light Before Day
Light Before Day
by Christopher Rice
Price: CDN$ 17.99
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story - wish I'd liked the hero., Oct. 25 2008
This review is from: Light Before Day (Paperback)
It took me some time to warm up to the Hero in this story. I did enjoy the story, although even at the end, I really didn't like the Hero too much. It's quite a dark tale, and a bit fanciful. But well written if you like the subject matter.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20