biss boutiques-francophones snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Simple and secure cloud storage Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno
Profile for Keith in Canada > Reviews

Content by Keith in Canada
Top Reviewer Ranking: 362

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Keith in Canada (Calgary, Alberta Canada)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Offered by S.E.P.I
Price: CDN$ 34.95
19 used & new from CDN$ 0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Again, top notch!, Oct. 12 2009
I was a huge fan of Inspector Morse. I became a huge fan of Inspector Lewis. Season 1 of Lewis was as well written, well acted and top production quality as Morse. Season Two of Lewis promises the same! Lewis and Hathaway have a wonderful humour in their relationship that is just disarming and charming as can be, without distracting from the Mystery. An absolute jewel of a series, in the highest tradition of Morse! Don't deny yourself!

Death Vows
Death Vows
by Richard Stevenson
Price: CDN$ 20.00
22 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars again with the American preachy political drivle ruining a good story., Oct. 10 2009
This review is from: Death Vows (Paperback)
Maybe it's because I'm Canadian. We're not a nation of bible-nazi, ultra-conservative nut-cases. But I'm finding reading American books that I look forward to read, actually being very disappointing. This is another one.
9/11 is over, move on. We've (neighbours of the U.S.) all been attacked by you (at one time or another), so your trauma over someone actually attacking you is a little over the top (a lot really) and it's difficult to be so sympathetic.
Now that the Republican neo-cons have stirred up the global hornets nest & made a mess of it, bankrupted the U.S., alienated everybody, and destabilized large chunks of the World all the while praising God and the Flag, and losing the last election, we can move on can't we?
Everyone else in Civilized World recognizes that the U.S. is anything but 'free' for large chunks of it's own population. But then it's run by Big Corporations, so this is a surprise?
What I had hoped would be a good who-dunnit with a gay hero and normal likable characters, devolved into a political speech. It was interwoven with the political whining and excuses about 9/11 and on and on about the continuing denial of American Citizen Equality before the Law. Not what I had hoped for.
This isn't the first American book I've read that sank into this mess, but I think it may be my last. I'll look for other writers from other parts of the World - our own Russel Quant books being a good example - of what I find enthralling and entertaining and reinforcing (positively).
I don't wish to be dragged into the American fight to refuse/retard or remove Citizen Equal Rights before American Law in favour of neo-cons, or bible-nazi nut cases who actively do what Christ teached 'against'. That's an in-house fight.
The sun may not rise and set on all things American, but I'm thinking that it's starting to set.
All I'd like is a good who-dunnit with positive gay characters as normal people with normal feelings in normal situations trapped in a "mystery". And that seems to be a very difficult thing to find.

Dl Chronicles
Dl Chronicles
DVD ~ Damian T. Raven
Offered by thebookcommunity_ca
Price: CDN$ 108.57
7 used & new from CDN$ 77.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise!, Oct. 7 2009
This review is from: Dl Chronicles (DVD)
I wasn't sure what to expect from DL Chronicles. I'm very surprised! Pleasantly surprised! High production qualities, strong cast, good writing et al. I'm very pleased with getting this! I've already re:watched some episodes. A handsome cast and good writing make this a winner. Recommended! :)

Aloha, Candy Hearts
Aloha, Candy Hearts
by Anthony Bidulka
Price: CDN$ 28.45
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Russell Quant Engrossing Entertaining Triumph!, Oct. 3 2009
This review is from: Aloha, Candy Hearts (Paperback)
I've read every Russell Quant adventure and absolutely loved each one! Each book has had me engrossed in the people, the situations, the mystery and has had me laughing out loud! This latest Triumph follows in that very high standard! It is wonderful! Surely, Anthony Bidulka must be a Giant in this genre, a Giant in gay writing with a gay hero and characters. And you certainly don't need to be gay to enjoy these works! I can't say enough about the thoroughly enjoyable experience each and every one of these books has been for me. Do yourself a favour -- escape with Russell Quant to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and enjoy the adventure! (Be prepared to laugh out loud!)

First You Fall: A Kevin Connor Mystery
First You Fall: A Kevin Connor Mystery
by Scott Sherman
17 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling and entertaining!, Sept. 27 2009
I cringe when I try reading a book on a gay mystery. So many are so bad. Not in this case I'm happy to say! A very interesting, enthralling and entertaining read! I enjoyed myself! I look forward to more of the same from this author. Fingers crossed :)

Dry Spring: The Coming Water Crisis of North America
Dry Spring: The Coming Water Crisis of North America
by Chris Wood
29 used & new from CDN$ 3.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting & rather well written up to Chapter 10, then dies for the balance., Aug. 25 2009
I enjoyed the information in this book, liked that it was written by a Canadian and looked forward to a balanced and impartial journalistic report on the status of our most valuable resource. From Chapter One to Nine, it was enjoyably readable. Starting at Chapter 10, it appeared to be written by someone different than the author of the first 9 Chapters.
It became a right-wing rant on why water should be privately owned, privately managed, and spent much energy attacking the book "Blue Gold" (which I haven't read - yet) - and spoke in first-person as a strong proponent for the "market is best to manage" approach to water management, and water rights should be divorced from the land it occupies.
As it was written before the "market management" blundered by fraud and ineptness into the worst recession since the '29 Crash, perhaps he is rethinking his book.
I went into the book with high expectations and initially enjoyed the "facts" and "situations" very much. I lost it all with the right-wing "we want to own it all" proposition for the balance of the book.
I'm very disappointed in this work. I had expected far far better. But now I'm intrigued to the point that I will be ordering "Blue Gold" to see what so inflamed this author.

I have an ethical and moral problem with the idea of denying people water because they may not be able to "pay" for it, so this may be my basic horror in reading this work.
I found the proposals in it scary to say the least. The author makes statements from Chapter 10 onwards that are accusatory of others, while making unsubstantiated and unsupported statements as fact ('trust me'). Where did the "journalist" go after Chapter 9 I wonder? I can only guess that he must've received his Republican Party Corporate Membership card and proceeded on writing with wild abandon.

Just because you can write a book, doesn't translate into it having any redeeming features. This one started well, then went to pot in a hurry.
Save your money -- buy something else. No doubt there are other, better written, better researched, more impartial and better supported books than this drivel.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Offered by niff78
Price: CDN$ 129.97
2 used & new from CDN$ 129.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a wonderfully funny Comic Classic!, Aug. 1 2009
This review is from: It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (DVD)
I'd forgotten what good humour and comedy is like when it's NOT laced with profanity for the mentally challenged.
This is a wonderfully enjoyable comedy, with all the great comedians of the time! I remember seeing it when it was first released. I enjoyed it as much this time! Wonderfully refreshing.

Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta Is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (And Doesn't Seem to Care)
by William Marsden
Price: CDN$ 15.57
25 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Well researched, documented and presented! A real Eye-Opener!, Aug. 1 2009
Well documented, researched and presented, this work is a real eye-opener as to what Big Oil is really doing with the complicity of Alberta's Conservative Party. Pillage, I think, is too light a description!
This is wonderfully enlightening book on a subject we should all know and care deeply about! It has been kept very well under wraps for reasons that become obvious. And as we still (after all the crying and moaning) give our resources away for a song, Alberta's future slowly slips away. An entralling read! Highly recommended!

Milk
Milk
DVD ~ Sean Penn
Price: CDN$ 4.25
51 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb! Wonderfully done!, July 15 2009
This review is from: Milk (DVD)
I heard all the hype and excitement over this movie, but still wasn't quite sure it was as good as everyone was saying. I was wrong. It is! A wonderfully strong movie - cinematography, casting, historical accuracy, and the wonderful interweaving of current film and archival film. It was an enthralling, emotionally engaging work. A definite 'A" in my list! Certainly warrants the inclusion of Best Picture nominee - an absolutely wonderful film.

Battlestar Galactica (2003 Miniseries) (Bilingual)
Battlestar Galactica (2003 Miniseries) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Edward James Olmos
Price: CDN$ 11.52
38 used & new from CDN$ 1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly well done and a faithful successor to the Original., July 4 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this work -- I had hesitated to watch being a faithful fan of the original. But I'm glad that I did, as I'm very very happy with what I saw - the story (even with the minor changes), the special effects, and the writing/acting/directing. This is a very strong work. I can easily see why the series became so popular! As usual, I catch up to these things late, and I'm doing that with this one. I know I won't be disappointed in the series!

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-22