countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry
Profile for D. C. Barrett > Reviews

Content by D. C. Barrett

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. C. Barrett (Newfoundland, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
TEQIN 100CM 5050 Waterproof IP65 RGB LED Strip Lights with Battery Box Lamp 4.5V for Home Outdoor Lighting Craft Hobby Light Decoration
Offered by TEQIN
Price: CDN$ 17.99
2 used & new from CDN$ 17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Bright, colorful, but NOT waterproof, July 27 2016
I really wanted to like these lights, I really did.

First off, the good. These lights are really bright. So bright that when I tried to take pictures, they just washed out my camera into a bright blur. So they're excellent in that regard. They're also very colorful. They can display the full spectrum of the rainbow, along with white. If you like, say, the color green, there's several different shades of green to chose from.

The buttons allow you to change the color, brightness, and flashing mode. There's a dizzying array of choices in flash patterns. Too many in fact. After a solid 10 minutes of playing with the settings I never was able to get it back to just a solid glow, despite turning it off and disconnecting it from the power. It remembers that last setting no matter what you do. This is probably a good thing, but I would have enjoyed a reset button that set it back to its default. I finally settled for a slow fade out to a fade in with a different color.

But now for the bad. I bought these for my swimming pool, as they are advertised as waterproof. They are, to a point. The lights themselves are waterproof, but the battery box is not. I didn't dare submerse the battery box or the connection point in water. The battery box is made from cheap plastic. They obviously cut corners when they ordered the battery box to go with the lights.

Once again, the lights are very good. That battery box is the weak point. If these were truly waterproof, perhaps with a solar recharger, then I would be giving this 5 stars. As it is I'm knocking off 3 stars for being advertised as waterproof when they clearly aren't. I'd knock off 4 except that I was impressed with how bright and colorful they are.

I received this product at a discount in return for my honest review.

VicTsing USB External DVD-R Combo CD-RW Burner Optical Drive (CD-RW), Silver
VicTsing USB External DVD-R Combo CD-RW Burner Optical Drive (CD-RW), Silver
Offered by VicTsingDirect
Price: CDN$ 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, July 27 2016
For those who are thinking 'too long, didn't read', here's the results: It's an excellent device for the price, but there are better on the market. For those who like their reviews a bit more detailed, please read on.

First about me, I currently work in tech support for a major hospital. I've been in computer tech support for more or less the last 18 years, so it's safe to assume that I know my stuff.

When the external drive arrived, it was packaged very nicely. I was expecting something this inexpensive to arrive in a plain grey static proof bag, but as you can see from the pictures below someone spent some time and money on developing the packaging. It's packaged well enough to sell on a retail shelf of an electronics store.

When I opened it I was pleasantly surprised to see an instruction pamphlet. That's an unusual touch in this day and age. It was written in a fractured english, but it was understandable, and actually contained some good advice about when to use the second USB cable. Speaking of which, 2 different USB cables were included as well.

Now to the meat of the review. The device is small and light, easy to stuff in your laptop bag. The include USB cable is completely detachable, so it won't knock around and damage the port on the device. It's a standard 'D' type USB cable (aka a USB printer cable) and should be readily replaceable should yours get lost. There's a warning in the instruction booklet only to use their cable, as a substandard cable could adversely affect it's performance, but so long as you stay away from the super cheap replacement cables, you should be fine.

The second USB cable is a proprietary power cable. Unfortunately if you lose this one you're going to have trouble replacing it, but in most cases you shouldn't even need this cable. It's only for if your computer's USB port doesn't provide enough power. I didn't have to use it at all for my system.

There's a note in the pamphlet to only use the USB ports on the back of your computer, not the ones on the front. I ignored that and plugged it into the front and it worked fine, even without the second power cable.

Now for the test. I happened to have an Asus external DVD drive on hand, and it had similar specs. I decided to compare the two against each other. For those who care, I compared this against an Asus model SDRW-0808D2SU, sometimes called a Zen drive. Although this Zen drive has similar specs, it costs twice as much.

I decided to burn a 600 MB file onto a CD-R for both devices. Although the Asus also has 2 USB connections, I also only used one. I plugged both devices into the same port on my PC and ran the test one after the other to make it a fair comparison.

The results: The Asus was clearly better. It burned the CD in 4:19 while the Vic Tsing model took 5:44. That's a difference of almost a minute and a half. But as I mentioned earlier, the Asus drive costs twice as much. The Asus is 23% more efficient, but also costs 100% more. Still, if money is no object and you want the best, don't go for this model. If however, you want a good model for a fair price then you can't do much better than this.

Finally, it should be noted that I received this item at a reduced price in return for my fair and honest review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

JETech 2.4Ghz Wireless Mobile Optical Mouse with 18-Month Battery Life
JETech 2.4Ghz Wireless Mobile Optical Mouse with 18-Month Battery Life

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, inexpensive mouse, July 20 2016
First off, about myself. I work in the IT department of a major hospital. I’ve been working tech support for over 18 years now, so I’ve got a little bit of experience under my belt.
You’d think that working at a hospital, we’d have access to some decent technology. You’d be wrong. We offer tenders and the lowest bidder gets the contract. That means that we occasionally get some pretty low quality products. An especially prevalent peeve of mine is the mice that we receive. They’re the cheapest imaginable. Any patterned surface will trip them up, including most mouse pad patterns and even just wood grain. The optics on the mouse just can’t deal with that at the cursor just goes wild, traipsing across the screen in whatever direction it feels like. We’ve taken to taping a white sheet of paper onto the desk to use a mouse on.
So when I got the chance to test this mouse for free in return for my honest opinion I jumped at the chance.
First off, this is a cheap wireless mouse. I’m not going to compare it to a Razer Deathadder. I’m going to compare it to something similar in price, such as the mice that we get at work.
First off, the ergonomics. This mouse is small. Unfortunately, too small for my large hands. When I use it, the mouse doesn’t touch my palm. Instead my wrist drags among the top of the desk while my fingers are the only point of contact with the mouse. Your experience may be better, as I already mentioned I have large hands. Laptop users may like the small size, as that makes it easier to carry around.
It clicks fine, but the scroll wheel is a bit stiff. After using it for a day I found that either the wheel loosened up a bit or else I just got used to it, so no points lost for this.
Now, on to the functionality. First off, the range is incredible. I was using this mouse from the other side of the room, and it worked fine. By the time you’ve reached the limit of the mouse’s range the cursor is already too small to see, so there’s no problem with the range. Next I tested it on a variety of different surfaces. Wood grains were no issue. It worked with a range of different mouse pads with a range of different patterns. I tried to trip it up with a cross-hatch pattern, but it took it like a champ. The only place where it stumbled was on a shiny or glass surface. You’ll find this with any optical mouse, but so long as you don’t have a glass-topped computer desk you’ll be fine. In this regard it far surpasses the cheap mice we get at work.
When I first got my mouse, after using it for about 2 hours it stopped working. I replaced the battery and it started right up again. At first I was thinking “this is far from the 18 month battery life that they promised”, but then when I put the original battery back in it started right up again and I’ve been using it for another 2 hours without issue. I’m not certain exactly what happened there, perhaps the battery just came loose?
The mouse claims to be adjustable between 800/1200/1600 DPI. I haven’t found any way to make that adjustment. There’s no button to switch between these 3 settings, and there’s no software to make the adjustment either. Perhaps it does it automatically?
Finally, the optical display is colourless. I’m used to seeing a red laser light coming out of the mouse. This one has no colour at all. At first this was somewhat disconcerting, as I was worried that when the mouse is flipped over, such as when you are replacing the battery, it could be shining an invisible laser beam directly into my retina without my noticing, but when I read the description I realized that it’s using infer-red, not ultra-violet. Inferred is much less energetic, and thus less likely to damage your eye. I’d be even less concerned if it stated what range of inferred it used, as inferred between 800-1400 nm is what you need to worry about, but I can’t find this information anywhere.
Finally, a word on the receiver. It’s small, and there’s a spot in the bottom of the mouse where you can store it when it’s not in use (a nice touch). I tested it with a variety of laptops and it didn’t seem to interfere with their wireless reception whatsoever. I also put my cellphone right next to it and there was no drop in either wi-fi or cell reception. I didn’t test it with a 2.4 Ghz wireless phone because who the heck still uses a landline phone?
So bottom line, I was blown away by its ability to work on a variety of different surfaces (except glass) and at a great distance. Unlike some cheap wireless mice it doesn’t interfere with wi-fi or other wireless devices. It loses a point for being too small for my hand, for its “3 adjustable DPI levels” for which there is no apparent way to adjust, and for my (probably unfounded) fears about the invisible inferred light and its lack of information on the wavelength used. Bottom line, it’s a cheap wireless mouse that does a fine job. Serious gamers may want to look elsewhere, but it should be fine for everyone else who wants a decent wireless mouse without breaking the bank.
As previously mentioned, I received this product for free in return for my honest opinion.

Art Naturals Organic Beard Oil & Leave-In Conditioner 2 oz- 100% Pure & Natural Unscented - Best for Groomed Beard Growth, Mustache, Face and Skin Softens Your Beard and Stops Itching & Treats Acne
Offered by Art Naturals Canada
Price: CDN$ 19.95
2 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars For a softer beard, July 20 2016
I received this product earlier than expected, which was a bonus. Immediately after opening the package I was admiring the label. It’s a very nice label, elegant in its simplicity. It would make a very nice present for a bewhiskered friend or relative. Someone spent some time on designing that label.
Looking at the ingredients, the elegant simplicity continued. It contains a mix of several oils and that’s it. There’s no preservatives, emulsifiers or stabilizers. Just oil. On the plus side that makes it very pure. On the minus side, the lack of preservatives means that over a long period of time there’s a chance that the oil will go rancid. That should take months though at room temperature, and since the bottle is only 2 ounces you’ll likely never encounter this issue. Just keep it in mind if you’re planning on giving it as a present, and the birthday/Christmas/Father’s day is months away.
The instructions say to put a dime sized portion onto the palm of your hand, then lather it into your fingers and rub your fingers through your beard. I found it was easier to put a drop on the tip of each of my first 3 fingers, and then run my fingers through my beard. I did that twice, once for each side and it seemed to work very well.
Now for the results. My beard was noticeably softer for at least an hour after application. At first I wasn’t sure if I was imagining it or not, but I paid closer attention upon my second application the next day, and sure enough, the results were confirmed.
I can’t testify as to this products ability to make the beard and ‘stache more manageable, as my facial hair isn’t of a long enough length to become unmanageable. I’ll leave that for other, more hirsute individuals to testify to.
I can testify that there is a slight odor to the product. It has a slight musty or earthy smell. The smell isn’t bad, and by no means overpowering. The small amount of oil that you use means that you aren’t going to reek of it, and it fades away very soon after application. It’s only really noticeable when you open the bottle. Even when combing it through your mustache, right there under your nose, the smell fades away after a minute or two.
Final word: I was pleasantly surprised by the results. It thought that this would be the type of product that you would have to use over many days or weeks before you see results, but my beard was noticeably softer after the very first application.
I received it at a discount in return for my honest opinion.

4-Pack Compatible Brand Toner Replaces Brother TN115BK, TN115C, TN115M and TN115Y For Use With Brother DCP-9040CN, DCP-9045CDN, HL-4040CDN, HL-4040CN, HL-4070CDW, MFC-9440CN, MFC-9450CDN, MFC-9840CDW Printers
Offered by Techoice
Price: CDN$ 110.98
9 used & new from CDN$ 102.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, July 15 2016
What can I say, for the price of buying a single cartridge at Staples, you get all 4 cartridges. Massive savings.

I knew when I purchased this product that it wouldn't be the same quality as a Brother-made cartridge. I was expecting to receive cartridges that had been obviously drilled and refilled. That wasn't the case. Sure, they might not be the quality of a fresh, brand new, brand name cartridge, but they appear to be genuine knock-offs and not cheap refills. At 1/4 the price, I can live with that.

I've now used 3 of the 4 cartridges, and have had absolutely no issues. No streaks of leaking toner, no grinding of gears, no issue whatsoever. As a matter of fact, these cartridges seem to be lasting longer than the name brand ones that they replaced.

VCT VM 200 Deluxe Step Down Voltage Converter for Travel to 220V/240V Countries-200-watt
Price: CDN$ 24.68
10 used & new from CDN$ 24.68

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, cheap step-down converter that won't melt, July 15 2016
I used this for my trip to Italy, and then again for a trip to St. Pierre, France. It worked wonderfully in both of these places.

Recommendation: It has only 1 outlet, so bring along a small, cheap adapter that turns one outlet into 3.

This was the cheapest step down converter that I could find on Amazon, and it performed admirably. With the adapter I was able to use my laptop and charge 2 phones/tablets at the same time. It threw out very little heat.

I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 for the following reasons: It's a bit on the heavy side, making it awkward to carry around. On top of that, the short cable means that it will sometimes be dangling from the plug if the outlet is far enough up the wall (and they were at times). This felt unsafe.

On the other hand, my travelling companion brought along a much more expensive, much more powerful converter. During out Italian trip it melted. This one on the other hand, even though much cheaper, held up admirably.

Please note that this is warranted to work up to 200 watts. You'll have no trouble with cellphones, tablets, or even laptops. I even charged all 3 of these things at the same time. You will however, not be able to run something like a hair drier, a curling iron, or most heating pads with it, as these items draw much more than 200 watts.

Fulland Wallet Card Holder PU Leather Pouch Flip Leaf Style Case Cover with Stand for Apple IPhone 4 4S 4G Plus Stylus Pen and Screen Protector -Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and functional, July 15 2016
I bought this about a year ago for my teenage son, and after a year it still hasn't worn out. He loves it. He keeps his bank and credit cards in it, and has use it as a stand when watching youtube videos. At this price, and after a year of hard wear, it's still in one piece and looks wonderful. I've got nothing to complain about.

LSD 9" Survival Paracord Bracelet Flint Fire Starter Scraper Whistle Buckle Gear Kits Tool Multifuction Outdoor Camping Hunting -- Black
Offered by Coepoch
Price: CDN$ 5.88
3 used & new from CDN$ 5.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not for thick wristed people who are afraid to re-braid it., July 15 2016
I've had this for a few months now, and unlike other reviewers, I didn't get it for free in return for my review. So this is my honest consumer opinion.

I have large wrists. Awe, who am I fooling, like many North Americans I have a large everything. But even when I wasn't overweight I would frequently have problems finding a wristwatch band large enough to fit me. Unfortunately, this product is too small to contain my meaty hand attachment. I can do it up, but just barely, and it uncomfortably cuts into my skin when I do. This likely wouldn't be a problem for most people, but at 6'1" and 270 lbs, it is decidedly uncomfortable for me to wear.

But it does work as a firestarter. With repeated use the flint has not snapped, like it does with some cheaper firestarters. The flint, much like my wrist, is thick, and thus unlikely to break.

On my first use the metal striker fell out. You would think that this would be a negative thing, but actually it lead to an amazing discovery. If you put the metal striker in backwards, you get much bigger sparks with much less effort. I would recommend that everybody flip theirs around when they receive it.

I can't comment on the parachute cord, as I haven't unwound it yet. Perhaps one day I'll be brave enough to unravel it, if only to see if I can rebraid it in order to widen it enough to comfortably fit my pudgy forearm terminus. However I just know that if I ever attempt this I'll just make a complete hash of it, and never get it to look as nice as it does now. Still, I'm going to have to try, as I'm soon leaving on a canoeing trip and want to use this in case of an emergency "you capsized the canoe again and now all the matches are wet".

So if you don't have wrists that are thicker than your ankles, this could be a good backup for when you are camping and your lighter dies, or your uncoordinated companion tips the canoe.

C9Q Police Box Hard Back Case Phone Cover Back Skin For Apple iPhone 5C Blue
C9Q Police Box Hard Back Case Phone Cover Back Skin For Apple iPhone 5C Blue
Offered by CA Top-Rated Shopping Mall
Price: CDN$ 1.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a Dr. Who fan, July 15 2016
My son is a big Dr. Who fan, and he loves this case. It's his favorite. It fits the iPhone 5C perfectly (which is no mean feat as I quickly found out). The iPhone 5C has a different form factor than any other iPhone, even other iPhone 5's (such as the 5 and 5S). Don't be confused, this case is strictly for the 5C, it'll cover up the volume and power buttons on any other iPhone.

For the price, it made my Dr. Who loving son very happy. You can't complain about that.

Moth (The Moth Saga Book 1)
Moth (The Moth Saga Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible world draws you out of the story, Jan. 19 2016
As a scientist, I just couldn't look past the many, many glaring errors with this world. The biology, climatology, planetology, etc are just so incredibly impossible that I couldn't ignore it. The soap opera interpersonal story wasn't half bad, but I have no interest in reading part 2.

Where are the impossibly high winds that would result from heating only one side of the world? Where are the huge temperature differences? What is the base of the food chain in the dark side? (and don't say fungus, fungus is a decomposed that needs something else to live on, and what is the base of the river food chain?)

Compares (badly) to Nightside City by Lawrence Watt Evans.

Page: 1 | 2