summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools
Profile for D. C. Barrett > Reviews

Content by D. C. Barrett

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

D. C. Barrett (Newfoundland, Canada)

Moth (The Moth Saga Book 1)
Moth (The Moth Saga Book 1)
Price: CDN$ 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible world draws you out of the story, Jan. 19 2016
As a scientist, I just couldn't look past the many, many glaring errors with this world. The biology, climatology, planetology, etc are just so incredibly impossible that I couldn't ignore it. The soap opera interpersonal story wasn't half bad, but I have no interest in reading part 2.

Where are the impossibly high winds that would result from heating only one side of the world? Where are the huge temperature differences? What is the base of the food chain in the dark side? (and don't say fungus, fungus is a decomposed that needs something else to live on, and what is the base of the river food chain?)

Compares (badly) to Nightside City by Lawrence Watt Evans.

The Revolutions: A Novel
The Revolutions: A Novel
Offered by Macmillan CA
Price: CDN$ 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent novel, Jan. 19 2016
Excellent

Expower(R) IPX7 Blue Waterproof Shockproof Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker for Outdoor Exercise and Shower
Offered by Expower
Price: CDN$ 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, Jan. 19 2016
My son's happy with it, and even uses it in the shower and camping. The charging cord is difficult to replace. I'm told that it's the same as an old ipod Nano cord, but my old one didn't work. For $25 I just ordered a second speaker, so now he has 2 (but only 1 charger).

Sawtooth Citron Vanilla Cream Electric Guitar with White Pickguard-Includes Accessories, Amp, Gig Bag and Online Lesson
Price: CDN$ 158.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginner guitar package., Jan. 19 2016
My son is learning guitar on this. Even my musician friend is impressed by this guitar.

Sawtooth makes this guitar in many colours. I ordered the Vanilla Cream one simply because it was in stock (I preferred the chrome/black myself). It wound up being a good choice as it matches my son's blonde hair.

Cons: the tuner broke (no problem as I also got him Rocksmith, which has a tuner built-in). The amp works, but is not loud. It can fill a room, but it won't fill a concert hall. The amp sometimes picks up phone conversations. Replacing the wire will probably fix that, but I haven't tried that yet. The guitar can be improved by replacing the strings with higher quality ones, but the ones that ship with it are still pretty good.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief
Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book One The Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan
Price: CDN$ 8.09
163 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, Jan. 8 2008
I bought this book for my 9 year old son and gave it to him at Christmas. This book had to compete with a new Nintendo DS, Wii games, R/C truck, and innumerable other Christmas presents. It's a 400 page book. He had it read in 2 days.

I don't know if I can give it a more ringing endorsement than that.