Profile for Mr. Music > Reviews

Content by Mr. Music

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Mr. Music (New York)

Page: 1 | 2
Nevermind
Nevermind
Offered by MUSICSHOP780
Price: CDN$ 4.98
34 used & new from CDN$ 1.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Good; But Extremeley Overrated..., Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
In the midst of power-chord infested ballads, huge hair, sex and drugs, and nothing but a good ol' time - came flannel shirts, long hair, and teen-angst. I really must agree with Sebastian Bach (singer of Skid Row) when he says "The song 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' really was the icing on the cake for glam metal". In a way, this was a good thing, because it stopped horrible bands like Dangerous Toyz or Dokken making it huge like Poison or the Crue, and brought along excellent bands like Alice In Chains. But the most popular, well-known grunge band is Nivana. I never understood that, because Alice In Chains were so much better. Nirvana had musical potential, but never lived up to it. After this album came out, I found myself missing the likes of Twisted Sister, Poison and Skid Row. This album is very raw and agressive - and I like raw, agressive music - but this really never cought my ear. I really enjoy Teen Spirit and Polly Wants a Cracker, and a few others - but other than that, this album never really appealed to me. Too much teen-angst, droning and moaning. Kurt Cobain was a good lyricist, but never brought it too full potential. Even being as catchy as it is, this album gets very old and repetitve very, very fast. But God Bless Kurt Cobain and what he did for the music industry. I would check out the many bands of Dave Grohl, however. The man is genious. Queens of the Stone Age is one of my top 10 favorite bands, and Foo Fighters are good as well.

Greatest Hits
Greatest Hits
Price: CDN$ 7.99
38 used & new from CDN$ 3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Proving The Sheer Genious Of Tom Petty...., Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have been my favorite band for the longest time. Their style is hard to distinguish. It is a mix of oldies Rock and Roll and Alternative. But a very good breed of music, indeed. Throughout the years, Tom & Co. Have continued to amaze me with breath taking albums like 'Damn the Torpedoes', 'Into the Great Wide Open' & 'Southern Accents'. All of which I will review later. But this album, most definetly collects The Heartbreaker's best songs. The rockling, rolling 'Refugee', the chiming 'Learning too Fly' and prehaps Petty's biggest hit, the excellent 'Free Falling'. As the Amazon Editor stated, 'Last Dance With Mary Jane' and a few other tracks (Chasing Down A Dream, Here Comes My Girl) sound like something out of MTV's Buzz Bin. All the songs are excellent here, and this is one of the few Greatest Hits packages that is complete. You can definetly listen too this without wondering where a track is, or skipping tracks. Unless you have that super-special song that changed your life. But this is an excellent example of the genious of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

40 Oz. To Freedom
40 Oz. To Freedom
Price: CDN$ 6.98
42 used & new from CDN$ 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Sublime..., Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: 40 Oz. To Freedom (Audio CD)
If I had to reccomend one album to buy from Sublime, like many, I would choose this album. It is chalk-full of excellent songs that range from excellent, slow, chill out tunes too heavy, fast, agressive songs. And that is the great thing about this album. Sublime do not restrict themselves to Ska - they add many elements of Punk, Metal, Jazz and Rap. The chill-out tunes are plentiful, with songs like '40oz. To Freedom', 'Smoke 2 Joints', and the iressistably catchy 'Chica Me Tipo'. There are also great agressive, slam dance songs here like 'New Thrash' and 'We're Only Gonna Die For Our Arrogance' - which is a cover of the Bad Religion classic. Another great cover is here as well, an interesting version of Grateful Dead's Scarlet Begonias. Brad Nowell's voice is excellent for all the styles of music infused here, and his guitar playing is great. Solid playing, but not too technical. Many of the songs are catchy. Excellent bass work I might add, very good in songs like 'Waiting for my Ruca' and 'Smoke 2 Joints'. If you want too hear sweet drumming, check out the drum solo in 'New Thrash'. All in all, this album will satisfy your Ska fan, Your Punk, Your Metalhead, or just about anyone. This is a true work of brilliance, you must own this album.

Page: 1 | 2