Profile for John H Watson > Reviews

Content by John H Watson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

John H Watson (Calgary, Alberta Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
by Neil van Niekerk
Price: CDN$ 20.76
43 used & new from CDN$ 19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars I had high hopes for this book, Feb. 24 2014
I like the title and premise of the book. However it failed to deliver more than a basic introduction and a narrative of how specific photos were produced and problems were solved. I think this could have been so much more if the author had such to his original premise. The book was not bad, just light on content and anything new. I suggest this would be a good book for someone who is really new to off camera flash, maybe as their first book on the subject of lighting.

I was hoping for more of a detailed discussion on what the title suggested - the direction and quality of light. ie how the direction and quality of light can really transform okay photos into amazing photos. Instead, it is more how to take bad photos and turn them into nice photos. The difference may sound slight, but it is not. The book is otherwise well written, the images are better than average and the advise sound, if introductory.

Digital Still Life Photography: Art, Business & Style
Digital Still Life Photography: Art, Business & Style
by Steve Sint
Price: CDN$ 22.53
36 used & new from CDN$ 22.52

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the different perspective offered, Jan. 10 2014
This book was not what I expected, but I enjoyed it none the less. What I liked about it was the sharing. It was like hanging out in the workshop for a couple of days and getting a sense of reality through experience. It also reinforced the idea that these images are carefully crafted over hours and days of setup and innovation. A practice I could emulate far more patiently.

I also really appreciated the fact that many of the setups were fabricated, rather than purchased. Something I also found quite inspiring.

I would recommend this book to someone with the heart of a craftsman. Who's willing to invest hours and hours nit picking every detail.

First Among Equals: How to Manage a Group of Professionals
First Among Equals: How to Manage a Group of Professionals
by Patrick J. McKenna
Price: CDN$ 15.16
45 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The book assumes a larger firm, Dec 5 2013
I found the book geared for large established professional service firms, not for start-ups. I did find the book good and the ideas are transferable to smaller firms with a little imagination.

The Longman Guide to Style and Writing on the Internet
The Longman Guide to Style and Writing on the Internet
by Martha C. Sammons
Price: CDN$ 12.70
23 used & new from CDN$ 6.48

2.0 out of 5 stars I did not like it, Dec 5 2013
It is just too general to be useful unless you are a complete beginner. I was hoping for more insight into a complex subject.

CowboyStudio Set of Two Orange Photography Studio Video Stage Film Heavy Duty Light Stand Sandbag Saddlebag
Price: CDN$ 14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars They are sand bags, Dec 5 2013
What can I say, they secure my light stands and I like the colour. The price is reasonable and the bags are well made. No complaints. They also shipped fairly quickly.

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
by Michael Freeman
Price: CDN$ 22.53
35 used & new from CDN$ 18.02

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is full of information, Dec 5 2013
I find the writing style to be dense and formal. It takes effort to read it. The content is great, but It reads like a text book. I often devour books in a day or two, but this one is taking time to get through. It is not a complaint because I feel like if I stick with it, it will be worth the effort.

CowboyStudio 40 x 60 Inches Oval 5 in 1 Collapsible Multi Photography Disc Studio Reflector, translucent/gold/silver/white/black
Price: CDN$ 45.00
4 used & new from CDN$ 42.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This reflector is large, Dec 5 2013
I wanted a large reflector to help me take full length photos. It fits the bill. It also folds up fairly small. The only challenge is learning how to fold it back up.

CowboyStudio 32" Photography Photo Portable Grip Reflector 5-in-1 Circular Collapsible Multi Disc Reflector with Handle, translucent/gold/silver/white/black
Price: CDN$ 24.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and well made, Dec 5 2013
It is a sturdy reflector. I like the handles. It's a small detail, but I find them useful when not in the studio.

Be Your Best
Be Your Best
by Linda Adams
16 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, July 10 2013
This review is from: Be Your Best (Paperback)
If you want to improve your communication at work and at home, this is an excellent book.
I have recommended it to several people and staff. Have a closer look.

KAEZI Off Camera Hot Shoe Flash Swivel Flash Bracket Umbrella Holder Studio Tilting Bracket for Nikon Canon E430 E580 SB600 SB800 SB900
Offered by Urban Inspirations
Price: CDN$ 25.20
3 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality seems good so far, July 10 2013
This unit does the trick for me. The quality seems good so far. I'll need to see how it holds up over time.
I think for hobby use, this is a very capable unit for a good price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4