Profile for John H Watson > Reviews

Content by John H Watson

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

John H Watson (Calgary, Alberta Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
EZOPower 96W 8-Port High-Performance Smart USB Charger with Auto-Detect, Fast Charging 2.4A Ports for All Smartphones, Tablets, External Battery Packs, and Other USB Powered Devices
Offered by emaxland
Price: CDN$ 56.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built and excellent for charging up a bunch of GoPros, June 25 2015
This is a great little charging station if you need to charge 8 devices at once. The power supply on it is huge, but the device is quite reasonable in size and well built. I am very pleased with this charger.

The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
by Steve Simon
Price: CDN$ 29.46
29 used & new from CDN$ 29.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, but not as informative as I had hoped for, June 25 2015
I enjoyed this book, but I think it is more geared towards photo sharing than I was anticipating. I thought the book was good and I read it cover to cover, but I felt it was ultimately much lighter on content than I was hoping for.

Responsive Design Workflow
Responsive Design Workflow
by Stephen Hay
Price: CDN$ 26.85
32 used & new from CDN$ 20.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for Non-Developers, June 25 2015
This was more geared to programmers than I was hoping for. However, even as a non-developer I could follow the workflow and appreciate the approach. It helped me better understand the process for working with my developer.

What the Plus!: Google+ for the Rest of Us
What the Plus!: Google+ for the Rest of Us
by Guy Kawasaki
Price: CDN$ 10.95
44 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars If you still can't understand the point of Google+, read this, June 25 2015
This is a good primer on Google Plus. I know I did not really get Google+ until I read this book

HDE® Xlr 3-Pin Male To Xlr 3-Pin Female Cable 1.5M
HDE® Xlr 3-Pin Male To Xlr 3-Pin Female Cable 1.5M
Offered by HDE CA
Price: CDN$ 5.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, Good price, June 25 2015
It is a patch cable. As far as cables go, it is fine. Well made and reliable so far.

American Power Conversion-APC Replacement Battery #7
American Power Conversion-APC Replacement Battery #7

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, fast shipping, reliable battery, June 25 2015
This battery has been reliable. I am pleased with the purchase.

LinkedIn Marketing: An Hour a Day
LinkedIn Marketing: An Hour a Day
by Viveka von Rosen
Price: CDN$ 30.77
31 used & new from CDN$ 17.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth your time, June 25 2015
I have now referred this book to several of my colleagues and clients.

"Starving" to Successful: The Fine Artist's Guide to Getting Into Galleries and Selling More Art
by J. Jason Horejs
Price: CDN$ 30.06
19 used & new from CDN$ 25.97

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable and Informative Read, Nov. 1 2014
I enjoyed this short little book. It sets the stage for what is involved in getting into galleries. It is basically a book from your customer's perspective telling you what you need to do as an artist before the customer will buy from you. Which is pretty valuable if you are the artist trying to make the sale.

The book is written in a conversational style from the point of view of the author. He shares his experiences growing with with an artist father and his own experience as a gallery owner.

It's a primer on what to expect, how to approach galleries and how to frame your thinking and approach.

Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
Direction & Quality of Light: Your Key to Better Portrait Photography Anywhere
by Neil van Niekerk
Price: CDN$ 25.39
37 used & new from CDN$ 23.20

3.0 out of 5 stars I had high hopes for this book, Feb. 24 2014
I like the title and premise of the book. However it failed to deliver more than a basic introduction and a narrative of how specific photos were produced and problems were solved. I think this could have been so much more if the author had such to his original premise. The book was not bad, just light on content and anything new. I suggest this would be a good book for someone who is really new to off camera flash, maybe as their first book on the subject of lighting.

I was hoping for more of a detailed discussion on what the title suggested - the direction and quality of light. ie how the direction and quality of light can really transform okay photos into amazing photos. Instead, it is more how to take bad photos and turn them into nice photos. The difference may sound slight, but it is not. The book is otherwise well written, the images are better than average and the advise sound, if introductory.

Digital Still Life Photography: Art, Business & Style
Digital Still Life Photography: Art, Business & Style
by Steve Sint
Price: CDN$ 22.53
36 used & new from CDN$ 14.51

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked the different perspective offered, Jan. 10 2014
This book was not what I expected, but I enjoyed it none the less. What I liked about it was the sharing. It was like hanging out in the workshop for a couple of days and getting a sense of reality through experience. It also reinforced the idea that these images are carefully crafted over hours and days of setup and innovation. A practice I could emulate far more patiently.

I also really appreciated the fact that many of the setups were fabricated, rather than purchased. Something I also found quite inspiring.

I would recommend this book to someone with the heart of a craftsman. Who's willing to invest hours and hours nit picking every detail.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5