Profile for Ivory Isis > Reviews

Content by Ivory Isis

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Ivory Isis "ivoryisis" (Missouri)

The Mists of Avalon
The Mists of Avalon
by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Price: CDN$ 15.16
146 used & new from CDN$ 2.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've Ever Read, July 13 2004
This review is from: The Mists of Avalon (Paperback)
I won't spoil the book for any potential readers out here, but I will say one word: masterpiece. This is the crowning glory of Marion's works, and I would go so far as to say that it is the crowning glory of Arthurian literature as well! I was so absorbed in it that I finished it in a week, and it has been my absolutely most favorite book ever since!
By the way.. if you're thinking of reading any of the "Song of Ice & Fire" books by George R. R. Martin.. rethink yourself and read this series instead.. it is MUCH better and more worth your time!!!

A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two
by George R.R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.79
59 used & new from CDN$ 2.97

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the Worst Books I've Ever Read, July 2 2004
This book took me an entire 3 months to read, just because it was so boring. War, war, death, burning, war, and more war, sums up this book. If you want to read this series.. I suggest skipping this book altogether, unless you enjoy extremely long accounts of war, more war, pain, mayhem, and endless, utterly long sequences of death. The other two books in the series so far are alright, but this book is worth skipping entirely. The whole book drags badly, and I had a hard time finishing it because I honestly disliked it so much, and so little was happening except for the above. George needs to learn how to seperate a fantasy from a made-up historical novel, with all the treacheries and evils and pain of true war.. and that's what this book reads like. NOT a pretty tale at all.

A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three
A Storm of Swords: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Three
by George R.R. Martin
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.79
75 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled.., July 2 2004
This is the only GOOD book in George's series. I'm saying this because it's in the fantasy category, and it has barely anything that a true fantasy has. It has little romance, much for lies and greed, and the good guys mostly end up dead. It's too true to real life, and should be more considered some sort of fabricated history than a true fantasy. I've seen so many good reviews of the series that I felt I REALLY needed to say something BAD about it. As an avid fantasy reader and lover of historical fiction, I'd have to say that George is very good about hooking you into the books, but he's even better at letting you down. If you read the books, when your favorite "good guy" is slain, (and most of them are slain, don't you worry!) you'll feel the burn. This book is tolerable and actually interesting, which draws you into the rest of the series. If you don't have a lot of time for disappointment and cruelty, though, I would not bother with this series. Go read the master, Tolkien. (In all truth, Tolkien was a bit slow on the writing and good at descriptions, which came to bore me after a time.. but he is MUCH BETTER than this haphazard attempt at fantasy.)