Profile for JM > Reviews

Content by JM

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

JM (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Confessions Of A Record Record (2Nd Ed)
Confessions Of A Record Record (2Nd Ed)
by M Avalon
36 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal - Highly Recommended, Sept. 20 2003
Not only is this book (and it's sequel, "Secrets of Negotiating a Record Contract") the real deal, so is the man who wrote it. I was so impressed by this, his first book that I contacted him as a consultant on a producer/artist agreement I was negotiating (I am a producer). My goal was to come up with something that was actually fair to both parties and Moses got us to that point quickly. His suggestions were works of innovation that surprised and satisfied everyone.
I also attended his 2-day seminar which dissects recording contracts. Here he dispelled the many misconceptions I had about record companies and their contracts AND he helped me to understand what is really being said in these contracts (and it's scary!).
He is not a lawyer, but one of the most insightful men I've met. Lawyers pay HIM for his advice. He REALLY understands contracts and explain things in a manner no one else seems to be able to do - it must be a sixth sense.. Highly recommended reading. Both his books should be permanent reference books for anyone in the music business. Besides, they're fun reads, unlike most other "how-to" music-biz books.

Secrets of Negotiating a Record Contract: The Musician's Guide to Understanding and Avoiding Sneaky Lawyer Tricks
by M Avalon
17 used & new from CDN$ 1.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Real World Advice from a Real Guy - Highly Recommended, Sept. 20 2003
Not only is this book (and it's prequel, "Confessions of a Record Producer") the real deal, so is the man who wrote it. I was so impressed by his first book that I contacted him as a consultant on a producer/artist agreement I was negotiating (I am a producer). My goal was to come up with something that was actually fair to both parties and Moses got us to that point quickly. His suggestions were works of innovation that surprised and satisfied everyone.