Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Paul "Watchergot" (Ontario Canada)

Cecilio CVN-200 Solid Wood Violin with Tuner and Lesson Book, Size 4/4 (Full Size)
Price: CDN$ 171.31
8 used & new from CDN$ 119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars How can go wrong at this price level?, May 21 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
First, I'm a student who wants to learn to play the violin. For around a hundred dollars, it's perfect for me. About the price of one nice evening out. Violin came with lots of extras too. Gives what I believe is tremendous value. It allows the opportunity to see if I will grow into it or not. Without a lot of money put down. Violin works dandy for me. How can you go wrong if you are in the same boat as I?

The Great Train Robbery
The Great Train Robbery
by Michael Crichton
Price: CDN$ 13.68
25 used & new from CDN$ 7.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A time machine to Victorian England, May 6 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: The Great Train Robbery (Paperback)
Micheal Crichton, masterfully gives a wonderful account. He hits the ball out of the park three times. First, by the subject itself; the incredible planning and carrying out of the train robbery. This was not a casual event. The second book in a book is how well he makes the various characters come alive in these pages. The third way this book was hard to put down, was painting a pretty good picture of life in Victorian England, 150 years distant from today's. It's bizarre culture, defined by classes, including how women fit in, and rigid social expectations and behaviors. Book short listed as one of my deserted island picks.

Breville BREBCG800XL Smart Grinder
Breville BREBCG800XL Smart Grinder
Price: CDN$ 194.99
8 used & new from CDN$ 194.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great., Jan. 17 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Had it now for about a year or so. Works great, used at least once every day and seems to be well built. I'm glad I have it. Yes, I'll admit I honestly do not know if a exotic grinder costing hundreds of dollars more would genuinely make my coffee taste better. I roast my own green coffee beans and use filtered water. Bet that's well over half the success formula for great coffee: freshly roasted beans, and good quality water. (Here's a BIG secret to magic brews, use almost boiling water through the grinds). I use a "Technivorm" brand coffee machine, and it's worth it weight in gold. One of very few automatic drip machines that will get the water temperature up to almost boiling. Amazon sells the legendary Aerobie Aeropress, and you can add almost boiling water manually with it. It too will knock your socks off for a fantastic brew. But this review is for the Breville, got a bit off track. I'm totally satisfied with it. Happy cupping!

Pen & Ink Fountain Pen Sketch Set- Fine Point
Pen & Ink Fountain Pen Sketch Set- Fine Point
Offered by Hyatt's All Things Creative.
Price: CDN$ 15.23
3 used & new from CDN$ 15.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Made in America package, Dec 8 2013
Made in America! How often we see this anymore? What a great presentation too. A lovely pen that feels good in the hand with the grippy surface, and most important, a pretty good writer. As they say in the junk tv commercials, "but wait, there's more". Perhaps the number one thing that impressed me is the pamphlet that's included. It both explains why and who manufactures the pen. As well, it has great instructions on care and maintenance.
Just a great product made by folks who know what they're doing. Would I stack this pen up against one of my four hundred dollar fountain pens? Or a vintage pen with a really flexy nib? No, that's silly. Would I recommend it as a excellent entry level pen? Yes.
If you want to discover why wet writing was and still is the gold standard for the declining art of using pen and paper? Yes, absolutely. Value? A slam dunk. Finally, as the pen is presented with a nice little leather (faux?) carrying pouch, and the whole ensemble already is boxed, it makes a great gift.

Chef'n Garlic Zoom Rolling Garlic Chopper, Arugula and Meringue
Chef'n Garlic Zoom Rolling Garlic Chopper, Arugula and Meringue
Price: CDN$ 9.99
7 used & new from CDN$ 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, Aug. 14 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
A great gadget that I have gladly given a berth to in my kitchen junk/utensil drawer. The following is what i have to criticize about it:________.
At under ten bucks, just ordered three more.
Keep your local vampires at bay without muss or fuss.

Persecution And Resistance Jehova's: Witnesses 1933-1945
Persecution And Resistance Jehova's: Witnesses 1933-1945
by Hans Hesse
Price: CDN$ 15.00
16 used & new from CDN$ 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Students of Nazi Germany must read it, Aug. 14 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This book documents Hitler's fanatical hatred of a lesser known group considered unworthy of life in the Third Reich. Jehovah's Witnesses were singular among all the undesirables. Only Witnesses, in spite of meeting the Nazi standard of having proper master race Aryan blood, we chose to be imprisoned rather than denoucing our beliefs. For not accepting the supremacy of the Third Reich.
Jews, Poles, Slavs, Soviet prisoners of war, the Sinti,(Gypsies), political prisoners, homosexuals, the mentally infirm, habitual criminals, where not expected to ever see a sky beyond barbed wire again. No other group had the option of signing a declaration,("erklarung"). By inking it, it was to walk out. To unquestionably swear loyal allegiance to the supremacy of Hitler and the Third Reich. Denying that God's,(Jehovahs) governance is the only successful system for mankind. He alone, is the only Ruler worthy of worship. As well, never to go door to door again, or associate with fellow believers.
Only a handful of these declarations out of thousands of Witness inmates signed.
The book details the increasing persecution from 1933 to 1939. The war years when Germany had full rein to hide its atrocities.
As with Jews trying to return to a vestige of normalcy, in post war Europe, the book chronicles continuing animosity and injustice.
The book is actually a collection of small books, accounts by individual contributors who lived through those dark years. The collective picture is vivid and detailed. What life was for a persecuted group.
It does not discuss issues of faith.
It is, in my humble opinion, a objective documentary trying to capture how horrible life was for people on Hitlers hate list.
I do not know if I could have endured. It frames that question for all of us.
As with the wonderful, indomitable, affirming value of life, my Jewish friends have taken from those evil days, I invite readers to investigate this example of determination and and perseverance.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson
Price: CDN$ 12.26
15 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Snappy business like style and absolutely amusing, Aug. 1 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is my first book review I've written without finishing the book. Started into last night and put it down three hours later. All the characters are in living color, and I can relate to each one. A bit of me is reflected in them all. From the earnest police inspector prone to missing the right turns to the profane 'Beauty'. Others for you to discover. The style of writing is understated deadpan, reminding me of a business report or a maintenance procedure, which the author skillfully uses to complement the plausible but almost surreal twists and turns.

The Holocaust Chronicles
The Holocaust Chronicles
by John K. Roth
25 used & new from CDN$ 15.85

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy book to read but not easy to read, June 4 2013
Ce commentaire est de: The Holocaust Chronicles (Hardcover)
The size and scale of destruction of the Nazi regime as documented in book is often overwhelming. The liberators of the camps must have faced, and of course the victims, an enormity difficult to relate to. At times, throughout the book, I was numbed by numbers. Perhaps I am not saying anything new here. As a beginning student of Nazi Germany, WWll, the book a wealth of knowledge. Book also captured, events using snapshots of individual stories here and there. Historically minor but huge in meaning. The poignancy and tragedy of a fellow human beings suffering. It is not an easy book to read. Not that is not well written. Some talented people put this together. At times, could only read it for a few minutes as again, events hard to try to grasp. Even now, after going through it. Still the degree of damage done is off scale.
As both a non-Jew and a very jaded political observer, it has given me an insight into current middle East developments. Does antisemitism overtly and covertly exist today? Could another Holocaust happen? Whom to trust? Book has answered those questions for me. There are still forces in this world who for reasons eighty years ago,(and much earlier too) as well as 2013 that would attempt to repeat history.
Fighting for life, must always be honored. Then and now. Perhaps that is what I can take from the book. Not only the damage of the past but hope for a future generation.
I suspect will not easily forget this book.