Profile for Winston > Reviews

Content by Winston

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Winston "Iran Blogger/Activist" (Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Legacy: the Absolute Best of the Doors
Legacy: the Absolute Best of the Doors
Offered by langton_distribution
Price: CDN$ 71.76
4 used & new from CDN$ 47.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, Dec 18 2008
Probably the best CD of "the best of the doors" series. The sound quality is excellent and the variety of tracks are good too. If you're not a big fan of the doors but would like to listen to their best tracks, then this must be on your list. Highly recommended!

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA
Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA
by Tim Weiner
Price: CDN$ 15.52
41 used & new from CDN$ 2.90

2.0 out of 5 stars A confusing book that was not what I expected, Dec 15 2008
Well, I did not know much about the CIA and this book did not provide me any thing beyond what I already knew. I knew CIA was dysfunctional and inefficient. I knew CIA was full of liberal driven morons who take themselves seriously and probably don't care much about the interests of the country they serve (Check the recent Iran's NIE report for example). I also knew CIA's ability and power was exaggerated in the media and hollywood. What got me interested in this book was Tim Weiner's interview with Hugh Hewitt on KRLA radio show. I was mistaken and now am disappointed at this book. First, this book started very boring and when the author got to Iran, he lost me. For several reasons including the factual errors with respect to the 1953 incident. His interpretation of the Mossadegh related events is of a liberal/leftist (Stephen Kinzer like) analogy and agenda. He lost me right there and I abandoned the book for a while. I didn't want to read a book that is biased and not factual. But I got back to it solely because I didnt want to leave a book unfinished. The book got better once it was past the Cuban and Vietnam era 50s and 60s but still it is a disappointment. Once, Tim Weiner claims that Iranian coup of 1953 was the single biggest success of CIA yet he keeps mentioning the countries where CIA had successful endeavors too like Italy, Haiti, Dominican rep... . The author is basically confused. For CIA's official reviews of this book you should check CIA's website. It's devastating and that review also helped me get some info right.

Iran - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture
Iran - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture
by Stuart Williams
Price: CDN$ 11.66
36 used & new from CDN$ 2.11

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun guide to Iran, Dec 12 2008
Even though this small booklet is considered to be a travel guide, it is very well written. Detailed and factual. It gives a great image/impression of the Iranian people, their traditions and the country itself. It's short but fun to read. I laughed a lot while reading it. It really captured the meaning of being an Iranian. Fun Stuff and practical. Almost every thing in this little book makes sense and is true. Apparently the author has done his homework on Iran. Politics aside (no one gets the Iranian politics correctly any ways so I am willing to cut him some slack there) this tiny book does a good job. Buy this if you're traveling to/thru Iran. Have fun!!!

Happy Cat, Happy You: Quick Tips for Building a Bond with Your Feline Friend
Happy Cat, Happy You: Quick Tips for Building a Bond with Your Feline Friend
by Arden Moore
Price: CDN$ 7.28
40 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, Dec 9 2008
Informative, fun to read and delightful. I learned a lot reading this short yet informative book and I loved the food recipes in it. Moreover it is full of tips for cat owners and a definite guide as to how we can take good care of our beloved cats. Very well done!

Shadow Warriors: The Untold Story of Traitors, Saboteurs, and the Party of Surrender
by Kenneth R. Timmerman
Price: CDN$ 12.37
21 used & new from CDN$ 3.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, Dec 8 2008
I admire the author's commitment in helping the democratic movement of the Iranian people. I have followed his reports, actions and books very closely for the past 8-10 yrs and am very grateful for what he has done. This book, however, talks about the rogue elements within the CIA, State Dept and other US govt agencies who did not cooperate with the sitting government ((i.e Pres. Bush)) to shape the foreign policy of the US towards rogue nations like Iran or Iraq. The content of the book is troubling and calls for more vigilance among those who care about the future of the US foreign policy. The scary part is that there seems to be a lot of people within the US foreign policy establishment who thinks it leads the policy and doesn't care what the President has asked of them. It's also troubling to see how these rogue elements have undermined presidents after presidents to further their own agenda. Any ways, aside from a few factual errors this book has and its bizarre focus on some phony people like some Iranian dissidents in LA, it is a must read.

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
by Barack Obama
Price: CDN$ 14.40
164 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars A lot of talk and no substance!, Dec 7 2008
All I can say is that this book is a lot of hogwash and empty words (like the man himself) and no substance. The scary part is that he got the title from his racist mentor and spiritual father Rev. Wright (WRONG) and it is sad to see Americans have elected an unknown entity to be their president. Hopefully, he'll be a one term president and he won't tamper with the US constitution. Again, not worth a cent! High in rhetoric and low in substance.

American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day
American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day
by Robert Coram
25 used & new from CDN$ 5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book, outstanding man, great life!, Dec 5 2008
I wish I could meet Col. Bud Day and thank him personally for what he has done. The book reads a narrative of his life from childhood in Sioux City to this day in Florida. I am very impressed. Col. Day's life is an example every man and woman should and could follow. A man of righteous convictions, morally and spiritually strong and right and above all, he has been in the service of his country for more than 6 decades. He volunteered to fight in WW II as a Marine, then as an Army reservists in yrs after WW II and later as an Air Force officer pilot in Korea & Vietnam. He did every thing asked of him truly the right way. He was shot down in 1967 and held captive as a POW for more than 6 yrs. His life is filled with honor and sense of duty and courage. I wish I could be him. Colonel Bud Day sets an example for the people and readers can model themselves around his character. There's nothing wrong with this man who has won the US Congressional Medal of Honor. The book is terrific and an easy read yet it is hard to put down. I couldn't. I am going to read other works by the author Mr. Coram. I loved this book and I believe every young men and women should read this book to learn a few simple things. Regardless of your nationality and politics, this man, Bud Day, has things to offer and it is best that we learn. Highly recommended book!

Take the Money and Run / Prends l'oseille et tire-toi
Take the Money and Run / Prends l'oseille et tire-toi
DVD ~ Woody Allen
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 138.84
7 used & new from CDN$ 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, funny, silly and the best Woody Allen's movie ever, Dec 5 2008
I can't stop laughing whenever I remember this movie. Have seen it dubbed in Persian language too and it was even more hilarious. Though I was curious to see the actual English language version and it was even funnier. gosh, this guy is brilliant. Loved it.... I think Woody Allen is a neurotic comedian and this work of him is among the best comedies I have seen. Good job 5/5

Pearl Harbor (60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition) (Bilingual)
Pearl Harbor (60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Ben Affleck
Price: CDN$ 9.97
61 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars awful movie, horrible acting, terrible story line, Dec 5 2008
This movie is so horrible I can't bring myself up to write a review for it. The acting is awful and fake. The story is untrue and the entire movie is badly done. I think 1 star is appropriate.

Wall-E
Wall-E
DVD ~ Ben Burtt
Offered by Chitchats
Price: CDN$ 13.69
51 used & new from CDN$ 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Great movie but what was with all anti-human message?, Dec 5 2008
This review is from: Wall-E (DVD)
I loved this and I think it's a unique and great story. I just don't get the whole anti-human message that Disney has displayed in the past in its cartoons (finding Nemo, Wall-E....). Do they really hate human beings? The movie is extremely well-done but for its anti-mankind message I can't give it any better rating.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9