Profile for Cory G. > Reviews

Content by Cory G.

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Cory G. (Vic, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
20 used & new from CDN$ 3.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 'Symphonic Black Metal' in the last few years, July 19 2004
Ok, I'm a huge fan of Dimmu Borgir right up until Death Cult Armageddon, which I didn't particularly like, but, although this is similar to their earlier works, it's not a carbon copy Dimmu. As you all know they share guitarist Galder and drummer Nick Barker, although no longer in Dimmu Borgir, so a couple of people have called this a copy. This is much more evil and is slightly more symphonic than Dimmu Borgir.
Nick is fantastic but not as maniacal as he usually is, the drumming was a little disappointing here. The bass is good, the guitars are great and the vocals are just plain weird (and evil!). The keyboards aren't super-hard but are very beautiful anyway.
Every track rules (except for track 2, which was.... ok), rock hard rhythm sections coming through, beautiful keyboard melodies and some mind-bending acoustic guitar playing make this a very memorable experience. I recommend to black metal fans (probably not you guys who restrict yourselves hardcore black metal such as Darkthrone) and to heavy metal fans who can appreciate music in general. I'm sure gonna buy some more of their cds soon!

20 used & new from CDN$ 3.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 'Symphonic Black Metal' for the last few years, July 19 2004

20 used & new from CDN$ 3.52

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 'Symphonic Black Metal' for the last couple of years, July 19 2004

Features In The Facade Of Your
Features In The Facade Of Your
Offered by CAMusicFiendz
Price: CDN$ 8.50
18 used & new from CDN$ 3.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, July 19 2004
This isn't real good value, so unless Atreyu are like your favourite band or something, skip this and get suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, which contains 3 of these tracks, leaving only two that you are actually getting that you probably haven't got already.... It's a good cd though, each song iis good, except for one which is kinda repetitive.
I strongly recommend that you buy Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses rather than this, I don't know about the new one, The Curse, 'cause I haven't got it yet!

Prophecy
Prophecy
Price: CDN$ 15.23
35 used & new from CDN$ 3.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Experimental and interesting, July 19 2004
This review is from: Prophecy (Audio CD)
I have never been a Soulfly fan, prefering to stick to Sepultura after hearing a couple of Soulfly songs and being turned off. I decided I would give them a chance after my friend told me it would be a new band (other than Max) for every Soulfly cd so I hoped that they would get a good band, as I know how rock hard Max's rhythm can be when he wants it to. Well, the band wasn't supertalented, but the music written on here is outstanding. Heavily influenced by reggae, many of the songs are all acoustic and feature non-metal instruments, giving it a tribal flavour like never before. Soulfly have tried and tried in the past to be a tribal-metal band, i hear from people, and I think they have succeeded here. Half the cd is metal, half is acoustic reggae-tribal stuff. Max hasn't sounded this good since Roots (where he sounded WAY better), his performance has surpassed previous Soulfly offerings.
Almost every song is good, only 1 or 2 songs sounded like filler and I got some special edition with 18 tracks that include 6 tracks from a Soulfly concert in Sweden, where the lead guitarist struggles to play Roots Bloody Roots. It was an ok 6 tracks, I think it was with the previous Soulfly band, like the one who played on 3.
As I said, it's very experimental, the melodies are amazing, the drummer is better, the lead guitarist is better, the vocals are better, the bass is better, Max sounds better, the overall songwriting is outstanding and.... I recommend it to music fans in general. This steers away from nu-metal entirely, so don't be scared to buy it. Finally Max is back!

Devildriver
Devildriver
Price: CDN$ 13.45
36 used & new from CDN$ 6.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Angry music... True metal from Dez at last, July 19 2004
This review is from: Devildriver (Audio CD)
I never was a real fan of Coal Chamber, there was the odd song or two that I liked but I found most of their stuff too simple to be of any real interest, but I can tell you, this is much better than any Coal Chamber. It's a touch heavier than Coal Chamber, it's much more musically advanced and generally angrier than Coal Chamber.
The guitarists play some very cool riffs that can stick in your head for a while and the drummer plays some pretty cool double bass, nothing too special though. The bass is hard to hear but comes up simple when it is heard. Dez gives an awesome performance, his lyrics are nothing special, but his vocals, a cross between a death growl, a black metal screech and a hardcore scream, are extremely effective and way more angrier than Dez has ever sounded.
Every song is good, the only dud is the repetitive Devil's Son. Highlights include I could Care Less, Meet the Wretched, i Dreamed I Died and others. Most of the songs I would give a 7-9 rating (out of ten), therefore 4 stars. Great release, for anyone interested in metal.

Between the Buried & Me
Between the Buried & Me
Price: CDN$ 13.77
20 used & new from CDN$ 8.96

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY COW, July 16 2004
This review is from: Between the Buried & Me (Audio CD)
Between the Buried and Me. Good stuff. I just can't get over this album. Seriously. I have over 100 Death metal cds, 10-20 Grindcore cds and about 40 Hardcore cds and let me tell you, there's not much heavier. Also, they are just so BRUTAL! The brutality is AMAZING! I didn't think you could get this brutal! This is more brutal than Norma Jean, Suffocation, Behemoth, Kataklysm, Death, As I Lay Dying, Decapitated, From Autumn to Ashes and Every Time I Die, some of the worlds most brutal bands..... That's saying something! Between the Buried and Me are VERY brutal VERY heavy and just completely...... I can't find the right words.... I haven't heard such innovative and strong music since.... I never have! Each song is meticulously constructed so well that not one moment is boring and not one song is weak. A couple of melodies thrown in here and there, seamless riff changes, unpredictable song patterns, crystal clear production, a crazy vocalist and mind-bending time changes make sure that EVERY moment is memorable, EVERY second seems golden and that every note causes your ears to bleed.
The songwriting is unmatched by almost everything, the band is extremely talented, I really mean that! Amazing fresh riffs, technical beats, loud but well placed bass and ANGRY vocals.
Never have I seen or heard a band that is so fresh and innovative in times like these.... I recommend this strongly to all Death metal fans, i recommend it VERY strongly to Grindcore fans and to Hardcore fans? I think you should already have this.
One of my top ten favourite albums, this is up there with Reign in Blood, Master of Puppets, Waking the Fallen, Beneath the Remains, Once Upon the Cross and Sons of Northern Darkness.
BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT, in no way can anyone be disapointed (nu-metal fans will) unless you can't handle hardcore music of all forms. What kind of music is this? Think of Death Metal and Hardcore..... Deathcore..... I just clicked 'add to cart' on Silent Circus, can't wait!

45 Or 46 Songs That Werent Goo
45 Or 46 Songs That Werent Goo
Offered by importcds__
Price: CDN$ 10.46
29 used & new from CDN$ 5.84

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually it's 47....., July 8 2004
Yep, you heard right, these 47 songs (well most of them) are not fit enough to go on NOFX's other records. Most of them have terrible production (not the kind of 'raw' bad but the kind of 'hard to listen to' bad!) which gets in the way alot. This cd, although not very good, is jam-packed full of rarities that are so hard to get it's not funny. I actually (after buying the cd) went to 3 record stores looking for some of the cds/vinyls/tapes that the original songs were on and I managed to find one of them (which I didn't want to buy, though) and I also tried to download it and after a whole day of searching on Bearshare, Limewire, Morpheus and eDonkey I couldn't get even half of the songs. Ok, maybe I could. I got 30-odd songs, so there you go, its rare.
Generally, most of the songs are too terrible, too short to take notice of, but a few of them were ok, not enough to give it a 3-star rating but, hey.... They did say it was crap! If you're a huge NOFX fan, buy it, it's a big collectible. If not, don't bother, 'cause you'll hate it to death.

Dawn of the Dead (Widescreen Unrated Director's Cut)(2004) (Bilingual)
Dawn of the Dead (Widescreen Unrated Director's Cut)(2004) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Sarah Polley
Price: CDN$ 9.99
59 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Dawn of the Dead but not bad either, July 6 2004
This is the 2nd movie review I've ever written, as I usually review music. You've all seen the original Dawn of the Dead (if you haven't stop looking here and buy the 1st one), and I'm pretty sure most of you avid movie fans have seen the fantastic 28 Days Later, another 'zombie' flick.
If you've seen the original Dawn of the Dead, you would remember:
"They're after us. They know we're still in here."
"They're after the place. They don't know why, they just remember....remember that they want to be in here"
"What are they?"
"They're us that's all. There's no more room in hell"
Then proceeds an explanation of what's going on and how his Voodoo grandfather predicted that one day, when there was no more room in Hell, the dead would walk the Earth. In the movie, there was a massive gaping hole in the plot here. This conversation never took place and no one offered any explanations. Those classic quotes I just repeated were replaced with a dismal "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth."
Also there were many other things that ticked me off about this movie. Since when are there sex scenes in horror movies? The first one was uncalled for but the 2nd one.... I guess it was just portraying people going back to their basic instincts and just doing whatever with what could be the last hours of their lives, so I guess I can understand a reason for that, it helps create an atmosphere (I was thinking more apocalyptic than erotic!). Some of the acting was terrible, some of it was fantastic, the guy who gets bitten and stays behind at the end, the merciless security guard, Mekhi Phifer (im not sure how to spell it) and the black cop were very well done, whereas the smart a$$ who owned the boat (someone would never have an attitude like that in times like those!) and the nurse who I suppose you could call the main character wasn't acted very well at all.
The last thing I have to complain about is that this movie is EXACTLY a carbon copy of 28 Days Later. It is so similar that you could say that that it's the same movie set in a different area with different people. The zombies, again, are fast and relatively intelligent (for zombies), not at all zombie-like other than in appearance, which may I say, they looked fantastic. In 28 Days Later, the 'zombies' were not zombies at all, they were infected humans that craved blood. That's all. And to you people who say that there's no rule against zombies being fast.... Zombies are dead. They are reanimated for various reasons in movies (not that this movie has one (plot-hole)), sometimes by Necromancers, sometimes, they're just direct descendants from Hell, but it don't matter, they are all braindead, they are barely materialistic in the form that it is not their will binding them to the Earth and that particular dimension. My last complaint (again!) is that there was no real ending to the movie, they just ride off, finishing abruptly, leaving you, not suspended but annoyed at what was going to happen next. Don't read any of this if you haven't seen the movie if you don't want it spoiled: After they rode off in the boat, what if the island population was infected? What if they didn't eventually find an island? I'd rather a bad ending than no ending!
All the bad out the way, you may wonder how on Earth I came to give this 3 stars instead of 1, this movie had a fairly apocalyptic image, which is the only thing in horror movies that affects me in the form of, not really fear, but a damning realisation that maybe one day these scenarios may be true, the movie does well to put you in the shoes of the characters. In other words, it had a great atmosphere. Ever since I watched the movie On the Beach ( i think that's what it is), an Australian tele-movie about the world's end due to a nuclear war between Korea (not too sure, somewhere in Asia) and America. This was a damning movie, in the end, the whole population died out and with all the nuclear weapon troubles, Global Warming and droughts (not really a world-ender but nasty anyway!) it's only too obvious that movies like The Day After Tomorrow are going to strike a nerve in some people, especially the movies based on fact.
Another few compliments, I loved the part where Andy was sniping famous zombies such as Jay Leno. I also thought the zombie-baby was a great idea, I think that part put something more in the movie. The bus part was AWESOME as well. I just love the part where they throw the propane cylinder to the zombies and blow up hundreds of the monsters. The gore was fair in this movie as well.
Very flawed but nonetheless enjoyable. A great night out, don't bother buying the DVD, it's not the kind of thing you're going to watch several times. If you want to go to the movies, there are better movies out right now other than this, but by no means stay away from it. If you liked 28 Days Later, you'll love this, if you've seen the original Dawn of the Dead, you may hate this, you may like it, depends on how religiously you hold the first movie.

Clayman (Dlx Ed)
Clayman (Dlx Ed)
Offered by Vanderbilt CA
Price: CDN$ 33.95
8 used & new from CDN$ 6.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection, July 1 2004
This review is from: Clayman (Dlx Ed) (Audio CD)
Let me start off by saying this...hey Mike, just look at In Flames today! THAT is what I call a screw up! Don't worry, I know you wrote that 4 years ago! Anyway, Clayman is awesome, the only tracks I thought were a bit weak were the boring Satellites and Astronauts and the good-but-nowherenear-great Sqare Nothing. All the rest are CLASSIC. Bullet Ride, Only For the Weak, Pinball Map, Brush the Dust Away, Swim, Suburban Me and Another Day in the Quicksand are the awesome tracks, pretty good considering I can call over half of the cd standout tracks. The other tracks are pretty damn good, borderline classic and then there was the almost bad Satellites and Astronauts and the so-so Square Nothing (good chorus though).
The only thing I have to complain about (other than them 2 songs) is that some of the songs seem slower, not something In Flames are known for.
Anders is excellent, his vocals are crisp and aggressive. Lyrically, all the songs have meaning as well.
Bjorn and Jesper absolutely ROCK on the guitars, solos are fantastic, riffs are powerfully melodic and previous band member Chris Amott even comes back to lay down a super solo on Suburban Me.
Peter rocks on the bass, the music has an incredibly thick sound thanks to him and the production is clear enough to hear him as a stand-alone instrument. He really stands out in some of the quieter parts.
Daniel's drumming is fast and really complements the music well, excellent double bass and cool fills.
In Flames's last great cd, buy it and cherish it. In Flames truly were great. Anyway, I still love old In Flames and will continue to support that material. Don't buy Soundtrack to Your Escape. If you have to, buy Reroute to Remain, it's not all bad but the musicianship is lacking. See my review of it for more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9