Profile for Linds > Reviews

Content by Linds

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Linds "Linds" (California USA)

Playing By Heart [VHS]
Playing By Heart [VHS]
3 used & new from CDN$ 14.87

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romantic movie ever!, July 24 2001
This review is from: Playing By Heart [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I love this movie. I love everything about it! The all-star cast is truly made up of "all-stars" in the field of acting. Sean Connery, Gena Rowlands, Angelina Jolie, Ryan Phillippe, Jon Stewart, Gillian Anderson, Ellen Burstyn, Anthony Edwards, Jay Mohr, Dennis Quaid, and the many others that I'm forgetting all give great performances. I also enjoy the way the film focuses on the individual lives, then pieces them together at the end.
Offering so many different perspectives on romance, Playing by Heart is sure to touch everyone in some way. With both single and married couples, those afraid to love and those desperately seeking love, this movie appeals to a wide audience.

The Bone Collector: The First Lincoln Rhyme Novel
The Bone Collector: The First Lincoln Rhyme Novel
by Jeffery Deaver
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: CDN$ 10.35
94 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent suspense thriller, July 24 2001
I found the Bone Collector to be an adequate novel. It is basically your typical good guys trying to catch the bad guys, with a few differences thrown in. The main character, Lincoln, is in a wheel chair and therefore relies on rookie cop Amelia Sachs to follow his instructions to catch the killer. I really liked the character of Sachs because she is a smart, tough woman. I was immediately surprised by the ending, but after careful evaluation, its really not such a big surprise.
As is true with most books-made-into-movies, the novel is much better. The movie leaves out many small parts which prove to be important. Also, the movie leaves out conversations which offer insight into the relationship between Lincoln and Amelia. If you enjoyed the movie then you should definately read the book. However, if you did not like the movie, you are not likely to appreciate the book.

Barron's Guide to Law Schools
Barron's Guide to Law Schools
by Barrons Educational Series
8 used & new from CDN$ 17.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, July 18 2001
Barron's Guide to Law School has become like my bible. I take it with me everywhere and could look at it for hours on end. I just recently decided that law school is definately for me, and this book has helped tremendously. It contains many details about each school, things you may not even really care about. It also contains a sample LSAT test which is very helpful. The book also lists schools by region and maps them so you know exactly where each school is, and so if you know you want to go to school in a certain region, you can find out what schools are nearby. This book is a must for anyone considering law school.

The Book of Ruth: A Novel
The Book of Ruth: A Novel
by Jane Hamilton
Price: CDN$ 13.72
215 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Still a Little Unsure, July 18 2001
I'm still unsure how I felt about this book. I found it rather depressing. Ruth is such a simple person, you almost feel sorry for her. Yet there is something in the way she looks at things, a view so simple that it almost becomes complex. To Ruth, people are not just good or evil. For Ruth, there is a gray area to humans that allows all of us to do evil things without being completely evil. The book brings up some interesting points, but I thought it moved rather slowly. While it is a decent novel, it is not Hamilton's best.

The Art of War
The Art of War
by Sun Tzu
Price: CDN$ 12.41
81 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just instructional, July 18 2001
This review is from: The Art of War (Paperback)
I read this book out of pure interest. While the book's main purpose was to instruct on the proper actions involved in warfare, it really does portray war as an art. The book reveals human strenghts and weaknesses and their place in warfare. Regardless of how you feel about war, everyone should read this one.

Great Divorce
Great Divorce
by C S Lewis
Price: CDN$ 12.26
50 used & new from CDN$ 4.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually deserves 4.5 stars, July 18 2001
This review is from: Great Divorce (Paperback)
I have not read anything by Lewis for many years, and what I do remember of Lewis' work is very different from what I read in The Gread Divorce. While I am not a Christian and therefore not exactly sure how I feel about heaven and hell, this book was inspiring. The story is unlike any other I have read before, and I think accurately represents people's attitudes about heaven and hell. According to Lewis, "All that are in hell, choose it." Kind of a radical idea! (For anyone who is interested, the title of the novel is in reference to Blake's The Marraige of Heaven and Hell.)

The Stranger
The Stranger
by Albert Camus
66 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars The depths of the human mind....., July 18 2001
This review is from: The Stranger (Paperback)
This is a very good book. A man finds himself awaiting an execution because of a situation he indirectly became involved in. While sitting in his cell, he reflects on how his life came to this point. I really like this book because it is written from a realist perspective. The man awaiting his death (I can't remember the character's name), isn't pleading for his life or talking about what he'll miss when he's gone. We all die eventually, and he knows its his turn. This book is very short, only 120 pages or so, and definately worth it.

Solitaire Mystery
Solitaire Mystery
by Jostein Gaarder
27 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorites, July 17 2001
This review is from: Solitaire Mystery (Paperback)
This book is one of my favorites. It keeps in line with Gaarder's expressed curiosity, his ability to question universal ideas. The book contains a story within a story, but is never confusing or boring. Although the inner story is something we would typically find unbelievable, Gaarder does a good job of linking it to our own existence.