Profile for Christina Banks > Reviews

Content by Christina Banks
Top Reviewer Ranking: 595

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Christina Banks "Stina Rose" (Deep River, ON Canada)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
All Things New TP: A Novel
All Things New TP: A Novel
by Lynn Austin
48 used & new from CDN$ 4.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Civil War Fiction, Oct. 22 2012
Lynn Austin takes us through the difficult months after the Civil War. Austin's main character, Josephine, realizes that the war has left holes that can not be filled. Brothers, fathers, and friends have all lost their lives. Property has been stolen, sold, or set free. Nothing is the same, and the old rules and expectations seem artificial and false. The novel shows us an intimate glimpse into the struggle that the Southern aristocracy faced in those days. I found this book to be thought provoking. Having been raised north of the Mason-Dixon line, I can't fully understand the depth of feeling that those in the South have about the war. It is not surprising that bitterness, anger, and an unwillingness to trust the army that had defeated them would abound. I believe that Austin gives us a honest look into the conflicted emotions and actions of the people in that day.

I recommend this book to readers of historical fiction and fans of Lynn Austin.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Nothing to Hide: 9780764206443
Nothing to Hide: 9780764206443
by J. Bertrand
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read!, Sept. 29 2012
Nothing to Hide is the third Roland March book, and just as good as the previous two. This book is not for the faint of heart, or the weak of stomach. Bertrand doesn't mind writing a bit of gore into his stories. This novel kept me on my toes. I was never sure who could be trusted, and I have to admit that I didn't solve the murder before the characters. This book is hard to put down, but it did leave me a little disquieted as I thought about the ethical and moral dilemmas that March faces in the pages. This book is well worth the read.

I recommend this to readers of suspense and crime fiction.

With Every Letter: A Novel
With Every Letter: A Novel
by Sarah Sundin
37 used & new from CDN$ 0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, Sept. 29 2012
I really enjoy Sarah Sundin's WWII novels, and With Every Letter does not disappoint. This novel is the first in the Wings of the Nightingale series. I've learned a lot about the flight nurses because of this book. Sundin's characters are deep and complex, and the plot moves along well. I had a hard time putting this book down, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

I highly recommend this book to readers of WWII fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

What a Difference a Mom Makes HC: The Indelible Imprint a Mom Leaveson Her Son's Life
by Kevin Leman
Price: CDN$ 16.40
22 used & new from CDN$ 7.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for moms of boys, Sept. 29 2012
I have a one-year-old son, and so when I was offered this book to review, I jumped at the chance. I want to be the best mother that I can be. I want my son to grow to be a man of God, a man of honor and integrity, a man that I can be proud of. Though the advice given is not new, Dr. Leman presents it in a way that is easy to read, and challenging to follow. I appreciate how he breaks down the roll of mother at different periods of a boy's life. I know that no two people are the same, and my son may not follow the patterns set out in the book, but it does give me an idea of the direction that I'm heading. What I really liked about the book was the goal. This book isn't about getting your boy to behave today, it's about training him to be a man, starting today. As I said, my son is only a year, but there are things that I can do with him now to help him be the best man that he can be, and I'm dedicated to that cause.

I highly recommend this book to mothers of boys.

Love's Reckoning
Love's Reckoning
by Laura Frantz
Price: CDN$ 14.80
39 used & new from CDN$ 2.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical "feel good" story, Sept. 29 2012
This review is from: Love's Reckoning (Paperback)
Laura Frantz takes us to a fascinating place in history that is not seen in many novels today. Love's Reckoning takes place soon after the end of the Revolutionary war, when the nation was new and Pittsburgh was the west. This story is full of lies, secrets, and questions. But the answers to those questions are not always pleasant. Frantz isn't afraid to give her characters flaws, and vices. More than once, I wanted to shake some sense into the characters for their poor choices, or misunderstandings. Overall, I enjoyed this book.

I recommend this book to readers of historical fiction, especially those interested in the period right after the American Revolution.

Love in Disguise
Love in Disguise
by Carol Cox
Price: CDN$ 13.80
49 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read!, June 22 2012
This review is from: Love in Disguise (Paperback)
Love in Disguise was the first of Carol Cox's novels that I have ever read, and I completely enjoyed it. I love the situation that Cox put her character in. I really enjoyed the way that the scenes played out. The idea of a woman detective, who has no idea what she is doing, was very intriguing. I know I couldn't have pulled off two roles like that, and that knowledge helped me appreciate the character and enjoy the book more. This is a hard book to put down, especially as the stakes are raised, and the main characters are in danger. This was a very fun book to read.

I highly recommend this book to readers of historical fiction.

Short-Straw Bride
Short-Straw Bride
by Karen Witemeyer
36 used & new from CDN$ 4.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable!, June 22 2012
This review is from: Short-Straw Bride (Paperback)
Karen Witemeyer has become one of my absolute favorite authors of historical romance. Her characters are fun, lively, larger-than-life, yet completely believable. The story line of Short-Straw Bride drew me in from the first page, and made it hard for me to put the book down. I completely enjoyed the way the plot twists and turns and how the romantic element wove through the story. I thought that Witemeyer did a great job creating a cast of characters that drove the novel and left the reader wanting more. I can't wait to read Witemeyer's next book.

I highly recommend this book to readers of historical romance.

Moonblood
Moonblood
by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
Price: CDN$ 12.59
31 used & new from CDN$ 5.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Adventure!, May 9 2012
This review is from: Moonblood (Paperback)
Moonblood a perfect continuation of the Tales of Goldstone Wood series. Full of dragons, goblins, unicorns, and a prince's epic quest to save his only true friend from the clutches of her evil father. This story is an exciting and satisfying read. The more I read in this series, the more I want to know. I can't wait to see what the next tale will be about. I would suggest reading the first two books in the series before diving into Moonblood.

I highly recommend this book to readers of fantasy.

Chasing the Sun TP
Chasing the Sun TP
by Tracie Peterson
67 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Story, April 16 2012
This review is from: Chasing the Sun TP (Paperback)
I enjoyed Chasing the Sun. The novel is a story of forgiveness, kindness, and friendship. The characters are well developed, and the plot was interesting. The antagonist continued to cause problems for the two main characters, and I found myself disliking him more and more, hoping he would get caught in his despicable plan. I really enjoyed the antics of Hannah's younger siblings. The children were a lot of fun to read about, especially at the end of the story. I was encouraged by the themes of the book. It made me think about how God is with us, even when we don't feel his presence, or understand what is going on in our world. Tracie Peterson wove a wonderful story in this first installment of the Land of the Lone Star series.

I recommend this book to readers of westerns and fans of Tracie Peterson.

Prize of My Heart
Prize of My Heart
by Lisa Norato
Price: CDN$ 12.27
42 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Distracting descriptions, April 13 2012
This review is from: Prize of My Heart (Paperback)
I love the cover of this book. It captures my imagination. Unfortunately, the pages between the covers did not. I was very disappointed with this book, not because the plot was bad, but because the descriptions were over-the-top and very cliche. I found myself rolling my eyes as I read, and groaning as I turned the pages. More than once, I almost put the book down for good, but since I needed to write this review, I continued hoping that the descriptions would stop distracting me from what could have been a very interesting plot. I won't be keeping this book in my library.

I recommend this book to readers who want over-the-top clean romance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19