Profile for K. Fontenot > Reviews

Content by K. Fontenot

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

K. Fontenot "Prairie Cajun Regenerated!" (Louisiana)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
King and I: A Little Gallery of Elvis Impersonators
King and I: A Little Gallery of Elvis Impersonators
by Karin Pritikin
15 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Hunka Hunka Freakin' Weirdos...And Some Decent Folks Too, March 21 2004
"The King And I" is a perfect book to lay out on your coffee table and have friends, neighbors, family and strangers pick it up and wonder just what the heck is this world coming to. Chock full of photos of Elvis impersonators--some good, some not so good, and some just downright scary, this book is a perfect conversation piece. From guys like Julian Campo, who thinks he has a spiritual connection to Elvis to guys like Frank Ianaggi, who knows that he can't really be Elvis, this book has it all.
Some of these guys take their passion a little too seriously, but for the most part, this book shows you that some folks just really love what they do. I guess that if Elvis makes getting through your day a little easier, it's okay with me. I'm not going to sit here and knock these guys for doing something a little out of the ordinary, because they are working, and I'm sure many of them are cleaning up in the money department.
In closing, get this book if you want a taste of life outside of ordinaryville, which isn't so bad. It's fun, it's silly, and you can get it at a really good price. I picked my copy up at a closeout store for ninety-nine cents. It was money well-spent.

The Aristocats (Full Screen)
The Aristocats (Full Screen)
DVD ~ Phil Harris
Offered by tommycruise29
Price: CDN$ 24.95
23 used & new from CDN$ 3.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Older Disney Fare, March 19 2004
This review is from: The Aristocats (Full Screen) (DVD)
I like "The Aristocats." Granted, it isn't a great film nor does it have "cutting edge" animation that today's generation has come to take for granted, but it is a good story with some fun songs in it that make it worth watching.
It was created back when Disney movies were made for the sake of being made. It wasn't made to gross millions of dollars in profit. It wasn't a vehicle for a new Disney Channel series. It didn't try to teach you some great moral lesson. It was simply made to entertain, and that is what it does.
Younger children will definitely love this film. The songs are fun to sing and there is enough silly action to hold any two-year old's attention. Adults, especially between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, may grow a little tired of this movie because they may not be used to a film that isn't tied in with some type of toy line or ride at Disneyworld. Older adults will probably like it for the simple fact that it provides nostalgia.
Don't pass this one by. Get it and enjoy it with your family.

Brady's Law
Brady's Law
by Bill Dugan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
20 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Swift Read, March 19 2004
"Brady's Law" is a quick read. It moves along at a nice pace and doesn't drag at all. Characters are developed fairly well. If I have a problem with this book, it's that it isn't very original. The story is good enough but I just can't give it more than three stars.
In this book, Dan Brady is a man content with spending the rest of his days raising his family and some horses in New Mexico. He doesn't want trouble with anyone but, as in most Westerns, he ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally, he loses everything even though he tries to make amends with certain folks over a murder that he witnesses. He finds out real quick that sometimes you have to take charge of the situation regardless of your convictions or the odds stacked against you.
This was an enjoyable, quick read. Once again, I only gave it three stars due to lack of originality.

Why Do Catholics Do That?
Why Do Catholics Do That?
by Kevin Orlin Johnson
Price: CDN$ 14.40
99 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Solidified My Decision to Join the Church, March 17 2004
During the late 90's, I was investigating a number of Christian faiths. For many years I was bouncing around from Protestant church to Protestant church with no real clue as to what I was looking for. Becoming Catholic never entered my mind. Eventually I ran into a Catholic friend who explained a few of the basics of the Church to me. Intrigued, I began to study on my own and found "Why Do Catholics Do That?" The title seemed straightforward enough, so I picked up the book and read it from cover to cover. It was amazing. Kevin Orlin Johnson's book answered all of my major questions about the Church and most of my minor questions. I had read a number of other books up to that point and none of them gave me answers as honestly or inoffensively as this one. It didn't try to hammer anything down my throat. Instead, it gave me answers in plain English and with no intent to brush me off as "just another Protestant." After reading the book, I decided to enter the RCIA process, where I entered the Church at Easter in 2000.
I can honestly say that this book was the decision maker for me. It is written in a way that isn't too "bookish" or intellectual for the casual reader, yet has a good amount of information in it. The writing style used, which has a lot of humor in it, lessened the blows of what some consider "cocky Catholicism." Another reviewer felt that in her original review this book came across as too cocky. I understand what she is talking about. I've met quite a few people with that cocky attitude. That attitude was one of the major things that turned me off from the Church originally. This book to me, however, wasn't too cocky. I enjoyed it. It gave the reader information in a straight manner. I also found nothing anti-Semitic about this book, as another reviewer mentions.
With this book, I learned that a number of the things that I was taught as a child about the Catholic Church was mere propaganda or, in most cases, misinformation. A lot of what I thought I knew about the Church was actually a misunderstanding of practices and beliefs.
I believe this book, with its simplicity, could easily challenge some of the harder hitting Protestant theories about the Catholic faith. Although it doesn't really go into any major theological arguments, it openly explains why Catholics do the things they do. It's hard to argue with someone when they are straightforward and honest with their beliefs. Perhaps that's what we need a little more of in the world today.

Pocket Dictionary of Saints: Revised Edition
Pocket Dictionary of Saints: Revised Edition
by John J. Delaney
29 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Springboard for Further Study, March 17 2004
Before joining the Catholic Church through RCIA in 2000, I had quite the hunger to learn all things Catholic, so I scooped up a number of books to learn as much as I could. The "Pocket Dictionary of Saints(Abridged Edition)" by John J. Delaney, was one of the first books that I purchased. The stories of the saints have always intrigued me, even as a child growing up Protestant. This book is a brilliant reference for anyone, Catholic, Protestant or otherwise who is interested in the lives of the saints. It includes a brief history of about 1,500 saints, as well as lists of saints as intercessors, patrons, and their symbols found in art.
Though it is sometimes too brief on certain saints, this book is the perfect starting point for someone to begin studying with. It introduced me to St. Athanasius, and lead me to investigate his life in more detail. It also helped me deepen the understanding of my newfound faith, since I came to appreciate these wonderful saints even more.
Overall, a good beginning to studying the saints. Read about all of them briefly in this book, and then seek out more information on the lives, legend and faith of these great people.

A Bug's Life (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (Widescreen/ Full Screen) (Bilingual)
A Bug's Life (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (Widescreen/ Full Screen) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Phyllis Diller
Price: CDN$ 14.97
42 used & new from CDN$ 7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Toy Story Broke Ground, A Bug's Life Cracked You Up, March 16 2004
"Toy Story" will always be considered one of modern cinema's greatest achievements. Unfortunately, movies like "A Bug's Life" and "Monsters, Inc." will always be brushed by the wayside for the fact that they weren't first. That's a shame, because both movies had better plots and performances. "A Bug's Life" is funny. It has a great cast of characters that are more memorable than "Woody" or "Buzz" and the villain, "Hopper," is one of the best villains in Disney history. His fate is also right up there with greats like "Scar" from "Lion King" and "Hades" from "Hercules."
Dave Foley is fun as "Flik." He's kind of a geeky lookin' guy in real life, so that made this character more believable. As state before, "Hopper" is the ultimate bad guy, and Kevin Spacey plays him perfectly. Denis Leary is outstanding as "Francis" the ladybug. Overall, this is an ensemble cast that is rounded out by great support from actors like John Ratzenberger and Phyllis Diller.
The animation is wonderful. It is bright, bold, and downright terrifying when need be(ref. the bird attacking "Hopper.") The music is good, though not as utilized as in "Toy Story." That is beside the point since the story of "Bug's" is so much better than "Toy Story."
Why is it that a Disney flick that is seriously funny always seems to get lost behind dramas such as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?" In Disney's storied history I've always felt that movies like "A Bug's Life" were overlooked because they don't have some great moral story to them. Granted, "Flik" realizing that he must never give up and the rest of the ants learning about strength in numbers is good, but these lessons just don't stick like in other films.
Watch this movie because it is funny. I used to give it a less than stellar rap until I watched it again. It really is funny and deserves to go down as one of Disney/Pixar's best films ever.
The DVD provides some great extras. There is literally something for everyone. For the kiddies there are games, for producer/director wannabes there are documentaries on the creation of the film. The best extras are the entire group of "bloopers" from the film, with personal favorites listed by members of the production team and, of course, "Geri's Game." This made me laugh out loud in the theater and at home.
If you want a funny, memorable movie that doesn't receive the attention it should, buy "A Bug's Life."

Barbie in the Nutcracker (Widescreen) [Import]
Barbie in the Nutcracker (Widescreen) [Import]
Offered by OMydeals
Price: CDN$ 80.95
21 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars For the kids, but still a solid effort, March 11 2004
"Barbie In The Nutcracker" is primarily for the kids. The music is fantastic and the computer-animated ballet sequences are great, but this is still a "Barbie" movie no matter how you look at it. I commend the "Barbie" people for using great production for the music and ballet, but the animation is a little bit square. Tim Curry is funny as the Mouse King, and the story did manage to hold my daughter's attention. She's two and one-half and didn't find the Mouse King too scary. None of the scenes in this flick are too scary as I recall. The other "Barbie" movies out there(a "Rapunzel" flick and "Swan Lake") have the same top-notch production that this movie has. They also share weak plots that won't hold an adult's attention.
Keep in mind that this is strictly a children's movie. That's the only reason I'm giving it three stars. If I were a two or three year old girl, I'm sure I'd think this is the best movie ever.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2-Disc Collector's Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Fulfillment Express CA
Price: CDN$ 25.26
109 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahoy, mateys. Aarghh!!, March 11 2004
"Pirates" is a fun romp of a film. It has to be considering it is based on the amusement park ride of the same name. Johnny Depp does a good job as Captain Jack Sparrow. He seems to be about one swig of rum away from oblivion throughout the whole film. Although most folks applaud Depp as the standout performer in this movie, the entire cast is deserving of accolades. Although most of the characters are pretty stock, it's how they are played that makes this film so wonderful. The acting is intentionally over-the-top. Geoffrey Rush plays Barbossa, the greedy, mutiness pirate captain who commandeers the Black Pearl from Depp. Rush brings something to the character that makes him more appealing than say, a Captain Hook. The rest of the pirates are just as greedy and just as mutiness, but their stereotypical behaviors are set off by some brilliant acting. Their are dumb pirates, mean pirates and, of course, one bad monkey.
I won't go into a synopsis of the film. Instead, I want to speak about the overall production and quality of this flick. The special effects are dead on(no pun intended). The way the pirates dance in and out of the moonlight, changing from living beings to rotting corpses, is fun to watch. The battle between the Pearl and the Interceptor is classic, excessive Hollywood fun. Even the sounds of this film are played to perfection. This is one of those movies that makes you wish you had surround sound if you are so not blessed.
So, if you like fun, bold adventure with just a little silliness, "Pirates" is definitely a fun movie to watch. It'll have you wanting to go eat at Long John Silver's and scream "Aargh" all the way back home. A fun, modern pirate movie in the classic pirate movie vein.

Ice Age (2-Disc Special Edition) (Bilingual)
Ice Age (2-Disc Special Edition) (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Denis Leary
Offered by Rainy Day Games
Price: CDN$ 13.99
55 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Flick For All Ages, March 8 2004
"Ice Age" seems to get lots of comparison to movies like "Shrek" and "Monsters, Inc." in many reviews, but it's not a Mike Myers flick nor a Disney movie. It might be computer animated like them but that is where similarities end. "Ice Age" is more family friendly than "Shrek" and has moments just as, if not more, funny than "Monsters, Inc." The animation is visually stunning, especially in the opening when the iceberg begins "chasing" the "Scrat."
The cast is standout. Ray Romano is cast as "Manfred." Like another reviewer I was a little skeptical of his playing the role of a mammoth, but he pulls it off brilliantly. John Leguizamo played "Sid," and proves once again that he can play just about any character. He is non-stop comedy animated through this entire flick. Denis Leary is fine as "Diego," who undergoes changes through the whole movie. There is a very touching scene with him near the end of this movie that almost made me tear up.
This movie isn't too violent. There was no bloodshed viewed onscreen, and the animation actually softens up the battle between the humans and the sabre-toothed tigers. It's funny how such a rigid animation style makes battle sequences look less violent than they are. There are plenty of funny moments for the little ones, especially with "Scrat." The writing is intelligent, fun and none too boring for adults. Overall, this is a fun family movie.
Cast your ideas of what an animated feature should be out the door and watch this movie for its great storyline, brilliant animation and touching characters. It's a good addition to your DVD collection.

Signs (Bilingual)
Signs (Bilingual)
DVD ~ Mel Gibson
Price: CDN$ 8.98
103 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, Intelligent, and NOT A "B" MOVIE!, March 5 2004
This review is from: Signs (Bilingual) (DVD)
I have to agree with a fellow reviewer that the so-called professional reviewer is wrong in calling this a "B" movie. "Signs" plays more with your mind and, to an extent, your faith better than most of the schlock that is put out these days. This film is very intelligent and very, very creepy. It probes your mind both spiritually(with Gibson's character) and mentally(with the use of the alien invasion). One of the creepiest moments in this film is when the television report reveals a "surprise" at a birthday party(I don't want to give too much info and spoil it).
This one of my favorite movies. So what if the aliens don't whip up on Harry Connick, Jr. and Will Smith? Who cares if there aren't any great explosions or uber-starships? This movie relies on you as the viewer using your mind to fill in the holes. It's almost like reading a book because your mind builds the story along with the movie. How dare M. Night make you use your brain!
Watch this movie. It is sooooo much better than the majority of the reviewers claim.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11