Profile for Jorge Frid > Reviews

Content by Jorge Frid

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Amazon Communities.

Jorge Frid (Mexico City)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-26
Portrait In Sepia
Portrait In Sepia
by Isabel Allende
48 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good story, Aug. 5 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Portrait In Sepia (Paperback)
I can't tell you that this is an excellent book, but is a good book to learn something about how is the life in Latin America, are parts of the book that it doesn't have many sense, but is part of writing and making a good story, if you try to verify in all the books the parts that couldn't be true or the "big mistakes" made by the protagonists, you won't like any book. The story of the book is not a page turner but you will learn something while you read.

by Nick Hornby
119 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a penny worth, Aug. 5 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
When I saw this book, I thought that Nick Hornby will tell us about his experiences at the stadium, for example:
The first time that I went to a stadium to see the San Diego Chargers (I live in Mexico but my brother lives there). My brother asked me if I want to go to the game and I told him that yes, so the next day he didn't offer me nothing for breakfast, I didn't comment anything because I thought that we will eat some hot dogs at the stadium, then I saw him to take some beers, sodas, meat and everything to do a barbecue so I asked him if we are going to a barbecue after the game, he just smiled.
When we get to the parking lot at the stadium I just didn't believe my eyes, everybody was having a barbecue I just started to laugh and laugh because here in Mexico you will never do that. (I don't remember who won that game nor the others games that I will tell you in this review).
The second time I went to see the Chicago Bears with a friend, I knew that in the stadium they only sell two beers per person per time so in the line for the beers I told my friend:
"Buy two beers.
"No, I don't like so much beer, I only want one.
"I didn't asked you what do you like, I told you what to do!
At the end of the second quarter I asked him for my beer, and he told me that he already drank HIS second beer.
The third and last story is when I went to see the Houston Oilers at the Astrodome. Behind me was a group of ten or twelve persons, in that stadium were glasses that contain three beers, so they make a competition to see who drinks all the beer faster, so the first started and he drank almost all the beer but part of it went directly to his pants, everybody was laughing, so when the second started, the first make him laugh and happened almost the same as the first one, to make the story short, at the end, the person who won the competition was the one who has more wet his pants.
Now, in this book the writer just wrote all the results of his favorite team of Soccer in England since 1968, that shows us one of two thinks:
He has an excellent memory or he has a sports book to write them down, I think that nobody will check if those results are true or not, nobody cares even if you leave in London.
If the book would say his stories at the stadium, it doesn't matter which sport is because you are not interested in the sport, you are interested in the people who goes to see that specific sport. If I went to a stadium about 10 times in my life (to see football) and I have this and others stories, I am sure that a person who goes to the stadium to each game of his favorite team must have many stories like this to write them, some of them funny and some sad, but that will keep you interested in the book.

Code to Zero
Code to Zero
by Ken Follett
Price: CDN$ 8.99
116 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody has his own point of view, Aug. 5 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Code to Zero (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book in less than 3 days, I gave the book to my wife and at least 3 friends and they enjoy the book the same as I, I don't know why some people are disappointed with this book, when I read their reviews I didn't wanted to post mine, but I really enjoy reading this book so I will recommend it to all of my friends.

Message from Nam
Message from Nam
by Danielle Steel
Price: CDN$ 10.82
145 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad story, July 31 2003
This is a sad story, of course all war stories are sad, but lose two lovers in almost no time must be very difficult, the book is a page turner, but I think that at the end of the book, when you really know the end, that end is written in to many pages, and that takes away some interest in the book.
The life of Paxton was sad since the beginning till she found her lover, but maybe that make her so strong and so open mind to do whatever she has to do, but losing lovers and friends is very difficult to everyone.
I was to young when this war was, but I remember that everybody said that the US didn't have to be there, with this book I can confirm that.

La Reina de Los Bandidos
La Reina de Los Bandidos
by Phoolan Devi

5.0 out of 5 stars ¿Dónde está la justicia?, July 19 2003
Ce commentaire est de: La Reina de Los Bandidos (Paperback)
Para ser una persona que no sabía leer y escribir narró muy bien este libro, quiero decirles que empecé a leer la historia de Phoolan Devi escrita por una escritora francesa y no pude leer más de 60 páginas, cuando me dieron este libro lo empecé a leer por no dejar y efectivamente no lo pude dejar.
Es una historia triste y hasta cierto punto injusta, pero es verdad que no podemos tomar la justicia por nuestra cuenta y mutilar a las personas que se dedican a atacar a las mujeres, aunque a veces den ganas de hacerlo.
Es un libro bien escrito, que te mantiene en la historia todo el tiempo y realmente te hace estar del lado de Phoolan, es un lástima que esta historia haya sido real, y peor aún que sigan sucediebdio estas cosas en el mundo, pero estoy seguro que aunque Phoolan ya no esté viva, su historia hará algunos cambios a esa situación.

Sphinx
Sphinx
by Robin Cook
Price: CDN$ 8.99
73 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story of ancient Egypt, July 10 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Sphinx (Mass Market Paperback)
Like Abduction is not a medical thriller, so if you expect that you will be disappointed.
This book will take you to the ancient Egypt, and as all that kind of books you will not know what part of the story is true and what is fiction, nevertheless, the book will keep you reading and you will know some parts of Egypt and some things about the pyramids and the pharaohs, at the end is a little out of reality but is a good end because Erica doesn't promise anything to her boyfriend, and you will know that she doesn't love him to much.

by Nick Hornby
119 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a penny worth, July 2 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Fever Pitch (Paperback)
"Buy two beers.
"No, I don't like so much beer, I only want one.
"I didn't asked you what do you like, I told you what to do!
The third and last story is when I went to see the Houston Oilers at the Astrodome. Behind me was a group of ten or twelve persons, in that stadium were glasses that contain three beers, so they make a competition to see who drinks all the beer faster, so the first started and he drank almost all the beer but part of it went directly to his pants, everybody were laughing, so when the second started, the first make him laugh and happened almost the same as the first one, to make the story short, at the end, the person who won the competition was the one who has more wet his pants.

Incriminating Evidence
Incriminating Evidence
by Sheldon Siegel
Price: CDN$ 9.89
39 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't know why I finished this book, June 30 2003
First of all, this book has an introduction to each chapter that doesn't have to do anything with the main story, those introductions together are at least 100 pages. Everything that happens at the investigation is written at least three times, (when Michael Daley discovers it, when he tell his ex wife and at the trial), this takes off about 40 pages, and at the end, when one of the suspects kill his/herself and wrote a letter and with that letter everybody knows who was the killer, and after that nobody could do nothing to catch him, is really pathetic.

Trunk Music
Trunk Music
by Michael Connelly
69 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One turn after another, June 26 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Trunk Music (Mass Market Paperback)
This book makes so many turns that you will never imagine how is going to end, when you think everything is solved it gets another turn and believe me, you wouldn't be able to close the book until the end.
The must important part of the book is that shows that the police department are men, and as all men of the world, they have their own problems and secrets, their problem is that the life of a policeman is public and everybody knows what happen to them.
The story of Harry and how he work to save his career is almost like superman, but this is a very good reading, if you have this book, just read it.

Star
Star
by Danielle Steel
Price: CDN$ 9.92
133 used & new from CDN$ 0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the same story, June 21 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Star (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is exactly the same story as American Star written by Jackie Collins, that doesn't mean that this book is better or vice versa, the only thing is that if you already read American Star, don't waste your time with this one.
This book is the typical love story, at first Crystal and Spencer meet, then the problems begin and keep going on until God says: from now on everything will be fine, and everything is fine. Nevertheless, the book will keep you reading page after page and willing to know what will happen in the next page.
The story of Crystal in Hollywood is the typical one, the problem is that many people like that kind of life, sincerely I don't like it and I think that is a pity that men deal with women like personal things.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-26